Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardian let me pack my backs and leave but now she's blackmailing me

So im 16 turning 17 in april, but a month ago my guardian and I had a disagreement on living standards she required me to follow. During this argument I told her "if you want I can pack my things and leave right now!" And her response was "if thats what you want." Then she >HELPED< me not only pack my backs but she provided me a tent and sleeping bag for when I left.

Thats not my issue though..

Currently my guardian is beginning to blackmail me and attempting to still control where I go and what I do, even though she LET ME leave her house, and if I defy her or dont ask for permission she threatens to report me as a runaway.

Is there anything I can do to counter her threats because technically im in family fostercare, so shouldn't she get in trouble for letting me move out in the first place?

Comment

RE: Running away, but wants to finish high school

RE:
      Hi there,
      Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you are in a very tough situation. It must be hard to first have been allowed to leave and now be controlled again. We must first explain that we are not legal experts, so legal issues said or suggested here are not guaranteed, laws and rules vary in each state. With that said, what your guardian is doing is not right and nobody, including you, should have to be put in this situation.
      Since this is happening, have you talked with anybody, specifically a case worker or legal representative, as to what is going on? If not, that is an option. Do you have a social worker with CPS that you could talk to about what is happening with your guardian? Talking with them could help the situation so you do not get in trouble for not being with your guardian. In regards to running away in itself, it is not a legal offense, however your guardian can report you as a runaway and anybody you are currently staying with or those who may help you could be charged with harboring a runaway and you would be returned to your guardian.
      If there is anything else you would like to talk about, clarify or get resources that may help you, feel free to call our toll free 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or you can also use our live chat that is open every day from 4:30pm to 11:30om CST.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi I'm A 16 year old girl and I live in Florida. I am in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend who lives across the country and he is 18 and we have been together for over 2 years. My parents don't know that I have a boyfriend but I want to be with him. I occasionally think about running away and he says that I can go live with him, but I want to finish school. I know my parents will be looking for me and I want to finish high school and then go to college with my boyfriend. I'm just not really happy anymore where I am and even though I love my family I need a fresh start. Is there any information you can give me that will help me with my situation.

Comment

Re: Blank

Hello there –

Thank you for getting into touch with us here at the National Runaway Safeline on our public forum. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on and thinking about what would happen if you did leave your house and went to a different state.

Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. This is of course if you had any interaction with the police directly or if they stopped you to ask you a few questions. If they picked you up in a different state, they will hold you in either detention or send you to a youth shelter until arrangements can be made for you to go back home.

It’s great that you are at least looking ahead in your own life to figure out and plan on what you want to see for your own life. You stated that you wanted a fresh start because you’re not happy with the way things are in FL. You certainly deserve to be happy in your own life. What would your overall plan be (i.e long term housing (boyfriend), transportation (public bus/train), financial stability, access to food/clothes, school, etc.)? Those are things that you want to be thinking about because there are some cases in which relationships go from good to bad when they move in together. So thinking about what happens when things do work out and your then boyfriend is kicking you on the street, how would you get back? Would you be welcomed back? Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t.
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

[email protected]1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

my sister

my sister keke is 17 she does not live at home any more she wants to go to school can she go up to the school at 17 and get her transcrips everyone around me said she can but i want to make sure.

Comment

re: my sister

Hello,

For the answers to your question, you would probably need to contact her school and ask them what their policies are. We don't know directly if she can go up to the school to get her transcripts.

Take care,
              NRS

Comment

Ok so im running away soon. And I have it all planned out I will be safe and everything. But is it possible I could do online school without being caught?

Comment

re: No title

Hi there,

It sounds like you have some questions about your high school enrollment. From what you shared, you are leaving and want to pursue your education online. At this time we aren't experts on this issue, so we don't know for sure if you could go to online school without any problems of being caught. You may want to check into the school you are looking to go to. Maybe one of the administrators can help you with the questions you have.

Best,
                  NRS

Comment

running away 13 year old

Hey i just recently found out that my girlfriend is living alone in an apartment by herself she is 14 and her parents kicked her out 3 days ago her friend is paying for the apartment but i wanna run away and live with her and she lives in Nevada i live in Kansas what should i do?

Comment

re: running away 13 year old

Hey there,

It sounds like you are considering going to live with your girlfriend in Nevada. We recognize that you are care about her, since she is living there on her own. We can't really tell you exactly what you should do. You may want to think about how you both would survive there if you went there. Being under 18 and living an apartment means you wouldn't be able to sign a lease, you could both be caught living there. If you're 13 and 14 you may not be able to work to support yourselves. A lot of things could go wrong with there. Also, you could have the first issue with trying to get out there to her. Running away is a lot to think about. You would need to decide whether running away is worth the possible consequences. We're here if you need to talk.

Best,
                      NRS

Comment

Re: Running away, but wants to finish high school

So I've just turned 15 years old and for the last couple years my dad and stepmom have been treating me really poorly..my dad constantly yells at me about the littlest things and my stepmom is just a **********. I'm so over it. I have a boyfriend. He has offered to have me stay at his place when I runaway and help me financially. But we are both wondering if it's possible for me to finish my high school yeasts as a runaway. Without the risk of my parents taking me back. I would be living in Indiana when I runaway. Thank you.

Comment

Hey there,

If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services. Please call us so that we could better support you or talk about other options.

Best of luck,
                          NRS

Comment

I'm 16 turning 17 in the next 2 months

My home life is unbearable, my mom always hits me and make up promblems to cause negativity in my life and tries to call it displine and my dad sits their and doesn't even speak up. I was thinking about runway but I really want to finish school but even if I do finish school then what, I can't stay with my parents their rude and it could cost me my future.

Comment

Hi
                              Thanks for reaching out to s today, and sharing a bit of what is going on at home. We are sorry to hear about what is going on at home, and hope that you know that no one deserves to be made feel that way. We are not legal experts here, but you did mention that your mom is hitting you, this is not acceptable and it’s called being physically abused, you can report this behavior with Child Protective Services. Since we do not have your current location (City or State) we cannot provide you with a specific number to whom report this to, however, you can search for that number on the internet, by searching Child protective services followed by the state where you are currently at.
                              You also mentioned that you would rather just leave, but that you do want to finish High School. Generally speaking, you need your parents to enroll you into school. Also, if you decided to run away, since your parents are your legal guardians, they have the right to file a runaway report, with such report, the police could potentially be on the lookout for you, and if/once they find you, they will return you back home.
                              If you would like to talk about everything that is going on in your life into further detail, and explore more about what your options are, you can contact us at 1-800-786-2929.

Best of luck,

NRS

Comment

hey! im 15, female, i have adhd, and my mom died last year of cancer (just for some background lmao). i have three other sibilings and a close extended family, although my dad is rarely at home. my family cares about me a lot, but i've made a mistake that they dont know about (except for my older sister) and i risk expulsion from school. i vandalized almost every bathroom stall in the school with feminist grafitti, and if this became public i would lose all my friends, and my relationship with my family would be severely damaged. i belive im on the verge of being found out, and i see running away as a better option than having a terrible home life. even before i made this mistake ive contemplated running away, and this would only finalize my desire. i would take a bus away from home, but im unsure how i would continue from there. i have enough money to afford housing for about a month, but im unsure of what i would have to do to get an appartment. would i need a fake id and other doccuments? how would i go about obtaining such things, and could i use them to get a job? i also am smart, and have the potential to go to an ivy league college. would there be any way for me to still apply to such a college and get in while missing a year of highschool? what would i need to join highschool or start online highschool? what areas do you think it would be easiest for me to achieve this? thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X