X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School

Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry that you feel misunderstood and restricted at home. However, it is wonderful that you are so committed to school.

We are not legal experts here at NRS, but we can tell you that you do have a right to a public education. Most schools have programs for homeless students, which you could ask about, and which would apply if you choose to go to a shelter or do not have a permanent address.

If you already know where you will be going, you might try contacting the school and asking them what documents a student needs to register, and how they handle it if a student is not with their legal guardian. The process may be a little different in each school.

Once you turn 18, you are a legal adult in most states. Generally speaking at that point, you would be able to act as your own guardian, potentially making it easier to register for school or adult education. However, if you leave while you are still 17, most states would still consider you a minor. You still should be able to register for school, but your mom may be able to file a runaway report, which means it is possible you could be returned home.

We hope you will consider giving us a call if you have more questions, or want to discuss the situation at home in more detail. If needed, we can also be here to talk with you about your plan for running away, and help make sure your plan for leaving is as safe as possible.

We wish you the best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

In need of help

I'm a 16 yr. Old boy turning 17 in two months. I live in Missouri and plan on leaving once I'm 17. I just need to know how I can enroll in a public school system once I leave and move to a different state. I don't know how to pull my transcript or enroll. Do I need a parent to enrolled me because that isn't going to be an option. I also plan on enrollment in the air force reserve once I'm 17 and doing that full time once I graduate high school. I just can't take it anymore and need to leave. Help with this situation would be appreciated.

Comment

Re: Running away, but wants to finish high school

Hello,

We’re glad you reached out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are pretty set on your plan to leave home once you are 17 and have questions about school. There is something called the McKinney-Vento Act which helps homeless students (which can include runaway youth) enroll in school under an “enroll now, ask questions later” policy. What this typically means is that you have the right to go to school even as a runaway/ unaccompanied minor; however, at some point the school is probably going to need to contact a parent or legal guardian. You can find out more information about the Act here: http://center.serve.org/nche/states/state_resources.php

It sounds like school is very important to you and that you also care very much about your future. Congratulations on having goals for yourself. We are here to further discuss your situation and hope this gives you a start.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I want to runaway, but I don't now if I want to.

I have been Though so much thing I just can't take it enerymore. Parents fighting talking, alcohol, drugs, deaths, and moms leaving. Having people tell what I can't or cannot do, but I have it planned all out leave when I graduate from highs school I don't every now if I can even make it. I have been bully, pick on. Having people they don't now what's going on in my life. I just may leave tomorrow or tonight.

Comment

re: I want to runaway, but I don't now if I want to.

Hey there,

Thanks for being able to reach out to us, it seems like you are going through a very rough time and we are glad that you are able to confide in us to help you. We are always here to listen and to help you in the best way we can.

From what you shared, it seems like there are a lot of problems going on with drugs and alcohol as well as many other issues. If you ever need anyone to talk to about those issues, you can always contact the Alcohol and Drug Helpline at 1-206-722-3700. There, you could both call yourself and talk to someone about the issues you are dealing with your family or you can give it to the person who is dealing with these issues to try and get help.

If at any point you are facing neglect, being abused or just feel unsafe, you are always allowed to call 911 and let them know what is going on. Another option could be to file an abuse report if you are experiencing these things. Here at NRS, we are mandated reporters which means that if you give us a call, we would be able to file a report with you. Another option would be to contact the Child Help USA hotline at 1-800-422-4453 and they would be able to assist you in the right direction in order to file that report.

You mentioned running away tonight or tomorrow, we are not here to tell you what to do but rather make sure you are safe. If you decide to leave, we have a large database with shelters and if you give us a call, we can see if there are any in your area. We are a toll free hotline which means that you can call from any payphone or phone for free. There might be some things you might want to consider before you decide to leave:

What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
            What would make me stay at home?
            How will I survive?
            Is running away safe?
            Who can I count on to help me?
            Have I given this enough thought?
            What are my other options?
            If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
            When I return home, what will happen?

Remember that we are also here 24/7 and would be more than happy to help you with whatever it is you might need. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

run away and finish highschool without going back home

I am 16 about to turn 17 and having a problem living with my grandmom because I won't follow her religon.my grades are suffering because she says "no work until you do something spiritual".I have access to a greater deal of money and thinking about running away.(its that bad) could I runaway but still attend school but not get returned to my grand mom in the state of Georgia?

Comment

Re: run away and finish high school without going back home

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're here to help the best we can. It sounds like a tough situation you're going through and it sounds like it is now effecting your grades. Have you tried talking to your grand mom about this situation at all? Sometimes it can be tough to talk one on one. If you wanted assistance from an unbiased third party, you can always call us here at National Runaway Safeline and we can do a conference call with the two of you, to help facilitate a conversation.

It sounds like you have given running away some thought and this can be a difficult decision to make. You said you had access to money but have you considered where you would stay and would it be safe? We are not legal experts here, but we can speak in general terms. If you do decide to runaway, your grand mom can file a runaway report; which means if the police pick you up, they can return you home. In the state of Georgia, you are still considered a minor and would be returned home by the police if they picked you up. Have you considered staying with a relative that you trust? As far as still attending school in Georgia, we cannot say exactly what would happen but there is something called the McKinney Vento Act, that states all youth are legally allowed to enroll in school, but it is likely that they will contact legal guardians or police very shortly after. No school can refuse a youth an education.

If you would like to explore more options, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online on www.1800RUNAWAY.org everyday between 4:30pm and 11:30pm CST.

Best of luck,
                NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

no looking back

Hey im 16 male, and my partner is 16 female. We are tired of the lives we have not being treated right and we dont know what to do we are from MD, and want to get far far away. With not turning back. But we have issues
                  1) what do we do about jobs/money?
                  2) how could we survive to make it to where we plan to go?
                  3) wheres a good place to stay to not be found?( like ideas on places )

Comment

Re: No Looking Back

Thank you very much for writing us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re here to listen and here to help. We’re sorry to hear that things have not been going well for you and your partner. It’s great to see that you are being resourceful and are seeking ways to remove yourself from what appears to be a difficult situation.

Since you and your partner are 16, you are considered minors in the eyes of the law. This means that your parents or guardians are responsible for you. If you both decided to run away, either of your parents could call the police and file a runaway report. This report will send your information to police departments nationwide. Those people who assist a runaway could also be charged with harboring a runaway. It depends upon your local police department as far as how they decided to handle runaways. Oftentimes, they send them back home to their parents, provided there is no danger in the home. If you feel unsafe with your family for any reason, feel free to call 1-800-4-A-Child (1-800-422-4453) to file an abuse report or visit their website to learn more:

https://www.childhelp.org/hotline/resources-kids/

Ultimately, the choice is yours about whether you will leave home. Just know that there are risks involved with either choice that you make. You both know your situations the best.

Your questions below really show that you have been thinking about this for quite some time. As for money and jobs, there are websites where you could search for jobs near you. This includes places like Monster.com, Snagajob.com, and Indeed.com. Also, see the link below for more ways to earn money as well:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf437665.tip.html

As far as your question about how you could survive and make it where you plan to go, we would love to hear more about your story and about your plan up until this point. When making plans, for anything, it is useful to have a picture of what outcome you want. What is the end that you have in mind? What would it look like for you to leave behind all of those problems that you mentioned you are going through? After you have the clear picture of what you want, it is helpful to next think about what the first steps would be to help you get there.

While we cannot provide you with information about where you could stay and not be found, we can let you know that there are a host of shelters and safe places that you could go to if you all needed this. Here is the National Safe Place website if you’d like to search one that is near you and/or learn more:

http://nationalsafeplace.org/what-is-safe-place/

We appreciate you writing! Please feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us! We can talk with you more about where you stand in your plan, assist with your finding a shelter or a safe place near you, or help you to call the National Child Abuse Hotline to file your confidential report. Do let us know!

We wish you the best!
                    Last edited by ccsmod9; 07-18-2015, 03:54 AM.

Comment

17 years old

I am 17 years old and I currently live with my dad in North Carolina. He does drugs in front of me and doesn't provide the things a father should. My mom lives in Ohio and I want to move there. My dad will not grant me the permission and we don't have the money to take him to court for custody. If I drive my car to my moms house in Ohio will I be able to register for school if she only had joint custody of me and not physical custody?

Comment

RE: 17 years old

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. It sounds like home is not where you want to be, and that is understandable from hearing what has been going on. It must be hard for you to be in a house where your dad is doing those things in front of you and not allowing you to leave to get into a safe place. We are glad that you reached out and we are here to support you in what ways that we can.

We are not a legal expert, but we can speak in general terms what could happen if you were to leave without parental permission, this being your dad. Generally it depends on who your legal guardian is. You mentioned that your mom lives in Ohio and your dad lives in North Carolina with them both having joint custody of you. Generally you are an adult when you turn 18, if you were to leave home before then your legal guardian would be able to file a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. This means that you cannot leave because of your age, not because it is against the law. If you are found then the police will just bring you back home. However anyone that you are found with could be charged with harboring a runaway. The severity of this varies from state to state. Also because you would be traveling out of state, depending on how much your mom knew it could federal charges.

However there are a couple things to be aware of. You mentioned that you are 17 and your parents have joint custody. Generally this means that they are both legally responsible for you until you turn 18. 17 is a tricky age in that it depends on your local police on how they would want to respond to someone in your situation. The police may not force you to return home because you are going to another legal guardian and you are 17 (meaning you are close to 1, while other may look to see who have you been living with the longest and most recently. You have a couple options in finding out more direct answers. One option is to contact your local police and ask them in general terms (Without giving any personal information) how they would handle a 17 year old that does not want to go back to dad but wants to live with mom in another state, the have joint custody. Another option you have is to call us on our hotline and we can call and ask them that questions for you. We are confidential and that is one way to make sure that no identifying information is given out. A third option is to contact the legal aid resource below and see if they are able to help and direct you in what you should do in your situation. Because we do not know your exact location we have picked the legal aid that we have in our database all over North Carolina. You can call them and see if they can connect you to agencies that are closer to you if those do not work out. The legal aid are as follows:

-InterAct Family Safety & Empowerment Center: hotline (919) 828.3067 / Office (919) 828.7501 Raleigh, NC
                        - Legal Aid of North Carolina: Hotline (800) 660-6663 / Office (336) 725-9166 Winston-Salem, NC
                        - R.E.A.C.H. of Jackson County- Hotline (82 586-1911 / Office (82 596-8969 Sylva, NC
                        -Time Out Youth Center Agency: Hotline (704)344-8335

You can also ask them about the issue of singing up for school when in Ohio with your mom. If she has legal guardianship over you, generally, she would be able to enroll you. However because your situation in a little bit more complex, we recommend contact the legal aid and asking them what you can do from a legal standpoint.

We hoped this helped, and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can always give our hotline a call or chat with us on our website. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS

Comment

My friend is only 17 her mom abandoned her.

Hello
                          Iv been searching for answers to help my friend get into highschool again so far I havnt gotten anywhere can u please help? So my friend is 17 she is Only a junior in highschool. Her mom abandoned her last year she was living with a cousin who had her in school. My friend was unexpectedly forced to move out of her cousins house on the first day of summer. Her cousin decided to give her room away and told her to move in with her boyfriend or somewhere. From that time up until now she has been living with her boyfriend who is 19 also a friend of mine. They just moved to the same city I live in so that he could start a besomewhere. Our delima now is how to get my 17 year old friend into highschool. She wants to be in school but they can't find her drug addicted mom anywhere and her step dad lives way to far out of distance to drive to our city?
                          Please send any advice on how to get her into this good highschool so she can finish
                          Thank you!

Comment

re: My friend is only 17 her mom abandoned her.

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems that you are trying to be a good friend by being supportive of you friend. We are sorry to hear your friend has had to endure this difficult experience, but glad that she has a friend like you who seems to care and willing to help.

From what you’ve shared with is, it sounds like your friend is trying to get back to school, but is experiencing some barriers to getting enrolled and back into school. It's great that she is looking to finish school, and we have some resources that may be helpful. Under the McKinney Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act, she is legally allowed to enroll in school. Every school generally has a homeless education liaison or school social worker that you can go speak to and seek further guidance as far as getting enrolled without a guardian. One option is to contact the school to see if you can speak to a school social worker or homeless liaison who can help navigate the enrollment process. For more information about how this law applies to runaway minors go to: http://www.serve.org/nche/downloads/briefs/youth.pdf.

Each school district is required to have a liaison. For information and to find your state coordinators go to: http://www.serve.org/nche/states/state_resources.php. Here you can find your state and contact information.

If you or your friend would like to talk further about the current situation at hand, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We are here to listen, here to help. You can reach us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our live chat service is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST.

We hope this helps and wish your friend best of luck!

NRS

Comment

Ran away with my sister but still in school

I'm 17 years old and I turn 18 in January, Sunday night I left the house with my sister and slept at a friends house with her. That night my mom called the police and said I had ran away but before I left I mentioned I'm leaving with my sister, my sister is 20 years old by the way. I went to school Monday morning and talked to my counselor about it and he said my mom had called and wanted me back home tonight, I told him I'm not going back. My mother and I have had past fights before and have had meetings with my counselors about it and I've been to therapy about 3 times already. My mother and I just don't get along and in all honestly my sister is the only one who gets me and understands because my mother has done way worse on her before. At this very moment I'm in school and still living at a friends house who has decided to let my sister and I rent a room in her home. My dad does not disagree with me he actually thinks its okay because he also knows how my mother is, but he is just worried about my older sister because my mother is basically threatening my sister by taking her to jail if she does not bring me back home soon. Is it still called a runaway if both my parents know exactly where I am and I still attend school? Can my mom take my sister to jail for supposedly kidnapping me? Because my mom will lie and tell the police different just to bring me home. I also don't understand her because she has told me to leave the house MANY times and now when I finally have the guts to leave she is doing everything just to make me come back? Can the police make me go back because under any circumstance I am not going back.

Comment

Re: Ran away with my sister but still in school

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out on our online forum. It sounds like you’ve got a difficult situation on your hands. We imagine it’s frustrating to have your mom tell you to leave and then turn around and threaten to get police involved, especially with only about a month until you turn 18. We aren’t legal experts; however, many states still file runaway/missing juveniles up until your 18th birthday. We can’t speak on whether or not your sister would go to jail, but your mother may still be able to pursue harboring a runaway charges through your local police department. If she comes around and agrees to let you stay with your sister or you end up turning 18 that may change the outcome. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to say without speaking to your local law enforcement.

It sounds like you’ve tried to work on the fighting that goes on between you and your mother with counseling. If you are open to talking to your mother at this time, we do offer a conference calling service where we could facilitate a 3 way call between you and your mom and be there for support. If you don’t feel that’s an option, we could continue brainstorming. Hopefully this helps and feel free to reach out when Live Chat is open. Best of luck!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X