No announcement yet.

running away on probation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm 14 years old and I'm on probation if i run away to my biological dad can i get introuble? Because of mental issues I just want to come clean on my drug test and I don't wanna face my mother can the probation office say anything about that
    ​​

Comment

• ccsmod14
      ccsmod14 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a great deal of courage to reach out and we’re glad you did.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Since you mentioned being on probation, if the police were to take you into custody, it is likely the runaway and probation tags could show up on your file and you would be returned home to your legal guardian. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

Take care,
      NRS

I'm 17 turning 18 in exactly a year. I'm on probation and I wanna runaway cause I can't pass my drug tests and I don't wanna follow rules but if I stay on the run till I'm almost 18 and turn myself in will I do time till I'm 18 and they'll drop it or will it be dropped when I'm 18 ? I been on probation for and year and doing another year right now because I keep messing up what will happen if I run now ?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us today. It sounds like you're in a really difficult position right now. We aren't legal experts so we can't answer any of your questions for sure - but usually when you runaway while on probation you can get into some legal trouble. Normally running away is not illegal but if you break probation you may be arrested. Again, we do not know the ins and outs of the law - so it would be best to reach out to your local police department and ask them what steps they would take in your situation.

We wish you the best of luck with everything!

Ok so my boyfriend is in OYA and he wants to run I I don't want him to but he wants to and he wants me to go with him but I don't want to run with him . But then I don't want to loose him either . If I run with him will I get in trouble to if they ever catch him will I be getting in trouble ??

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for writing in to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re so happy you found us. It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation. It’s challenging to feel like we might lose someone if we don’t do what they want. We encourage you to take care of yourself first regardless of what someone else is asking you to do. We encourage you to make the best decision and safest choice for yourself.

We aren’t legal experts and can’t dispense legal advice, but if you call in (1-800-786-2929) we’d be happy to provide legal resources to you. We could also talk through things like do you have a safe place to stay if you and your boyfriend ran away, do you have money for shelter/food/transportation, and how long would you be gone for. We could call the local police together to see how they handle youth runaways – this is dependent such things as town, state, age of minor. You might consider talking with a trusted adult, family member, or teacher.

We are here 24/7 so please call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929. We also have a chat service if you’re interested. Best of luck!

• I’m 15 And I Live In Alabama. I Was Wondering If I Ran Away And Stay Missing Till I’m 20 Can The Police Still Arrest Me For Being A Run Away?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to NRS! We appreciate you sharing a bit about the situation with your parents.
      It sounds like you’re thinking about running away. We’re not legal experts, but we do have some basic knowledge about runaway laws. Running away isn’t illegal, so you can’t be arrested for it. If you leave and your parents call the police, they’d made a runaway report. That report goes nationwide and puts the police on alert that there’s a runaway youth. If you’re found, you will most likely just be returned home. We offer conference calling with youth to their local police station, just to make sure what their runaway protocols are. If you do decide to leave, you can always call into our safeline and we can try to come up with a safety plan with you and find runaway shelters in your area.
      Of course you have the right to live in a safe and supportive environment and we are here to help you find the resources and options that work for you. NRS is entirely anonymous and confidential and here 24/7 to help in any way we can. Please reach out to us via our safeline at 1-800-786-2929 or our chat service at www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,
      National Runaway Safeline

I have a question I am 14 and on probation and I'm planning to run away. Not running away from probation but from my mom. And if I do that what are the consequences if there is any. Like will I be arrested?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight! We aren't legal experts but as far as we know you can get into some serious legal trouble if you run away while on probation and break probation. You may want to get in touch with your case worker and ask them about this if you have specific questions as they may be able to give you a better answer than we can.

If you want to reach out to us again and talk to us about what is making you want to run away please feel free. It sounds like you are going through some things with your mom and we would be more than happy to talk to you about it. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way that we can.

Hi I am 14 years old and I snuck out with a guy that I really liked and he was on probation, so he was not aloud to leave the house. Now his very strict parents s found out that we had snuck out and they found his phone (which he was not aloud to have) they looked through his phone and they don't think it's right for us to sneak out so they want to tell my parents I will do anything for them to not tell my parents I even had my older sister act like she's my mother and text his mom my sister is 19 btw, and the guy I snuck out with is turning 15. However his parents want to meet irl and talk about this but I cannot have them find out I broke up with the guy and now I don't know why they want to do this. They are even saying if my parents don't meet up with them they will report this to my school ( me and my ex don't go to the same school anymore), and they even said they would report it do the police. Why are they doing this? There job was to tell my parents o snuck out so they can teach me a lesson which I think they know that they have done that but why would they want to meet with them irl? Do they want me to go to court with the guy or something Bc I cannot do that. I am very confused someone please help me, and tell me how I should deal with this situation and make it end. Thank you so much

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We appreciate you sharing a bit about your situation, it sounds like you’ve been in a stressful situation.
      It sounds like sneaking out was a mistake, for both you and the youth you snuck out with. It’s pretty normal for teen to sneak out and humans make mistakes. It sounds like his parents are taking it really out of control. We do offer conference calling options between youth and parents, if you wanted to explain to your parents about the situation. We’re not sure why his parents are threatening to tell your school, it really has nothing to do with them. It wasn’t during school hours or on school property, and it would come down to your word against there’s, if they did tell the school. Sneaking out of the house is not something that you can be arrested for, so most likely, you would never have to go to a court of any kind.

If you wanted to talk more about the situation or to use our conference calling service, give us a call! We’re open 24/7, so we’re always here to talk.

Be well, NRS

Im 17 years old and im on probation until June and my birthday is on August , i want to run away , when i turn 18 would they jusy drop it or ??

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

It sounds like you’re wanting to runaway but you’re also on probation. We’re not legal experts, but we do know that running away is not something you can be arrested for. Since you’re on probation that may change the situation. Since we’re not experts on the law, we do offer to call out to local police with youth. If you call our safeline, we can either ask the police together or you can stay on the other line while we talk to the police and tell you what they said. We’re confidential so we wouldn’t need your name or anything. That is the best way to get the exact answer that you’re looking for. We can also see if there’s legal resources in your area for any other questions about your probation or what will happen once you turn 18.

We’re open 24/7, so we’re always open. Again, thank you for reaching out and we hope to hear from you soon!

Best, NRS

Hi im 16 and my girl is 15and just wondering what the judge will do uf she on probation for assualt and got caught running away. They had cops in 5 states and 2 countries looking for her

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like your girlfriend has some experience in the juvenile justice system. You questioned if her running away would after her probation at all. We want you to know that we are not legal expert but to our knowledge yes, running away while on probation can possible get her arrested. As mentioned we are not legal experts but if you wanted definite answers you could try contacting your local non-emergency police.
      We strongly encourage you to give us a call so we can talk about the situation further.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Take care,
      NRS

im 17 in three weeks, i was charged with runaway last year and was put on house arrest, i cut off my moniter and ran again, i went to an evaluation center for 2 months.and then when they sent me back home.. i ran again so they finally realized i could be being abused. they let me stay with my aunt on one year of probation. i have 3 months left but shes talking about putting me back into the system due to sneaking around etc.if that happens ill be in a group home until im 18. I was wondering what are my options.. if i do run away again and stay gone until im 18, what will happen? im just scared right now.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have a history within the juvenile justice system. We want you to know that we are not legal experts and it sounds like you might need the help from a legal professional. Since you have a history of running away and not following the guidelines of your probation your options might be limited. We understand how scary this whole situation may be for you but we want you to know that you are not alone.
      As mentioned we are not legal experts and we do not want to give you the wrong information. I f you would like us to local some local legal representation for you please give us a call. 1-800-786-2929
      Best wishes,
      NRS

• What happens if I go on the run on parole and turn myself in they day before I turn 18? Will anything carry over into my adulthood?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can.

Unfortunately, we at NRS are not legal experts. We know basic information on runaway laws, but you did mention that you’re on probation, that will most likely effect the outcomes. In most cases, youth cannot be arrested for running away after the parent or guardian makes a runaway report. Generally, that runaway report doesn’t stay on minors records, nor does it carry over once the youth turn 18. It may be different for your situation. We do offer to call out to local police with youth, if you could call into our safeline, we are more than happy to make that call with you. That way we can find out exactly what could happen if you runaway, plus we are confidential, so we would never ask your name. We also can look up legal aid resources for you, if you need a legal experts opinion.

If you’d like to talk more about what’s making you think about running away, or if you want more information on our services, don’t hesitate to reach out to us again. Our lines are open 24/7 and we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat program that is available every day from 4:30 PM until 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong,

NRS

• Hi. I'm 17 and currently living in Georgia with my girl friend. I've been placed on probation for a year. And I wanted to know if I can get away with not showing up and still stay in the state??. I don't want to have to leave the state. But I will if necessary. How likely are they to find me if I stay in the state?.

Comment

• Reply: Hi. I'm 17 and currently living in Georgia

Hello,
      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      We unfortunately are not legal experts and have no knowledge of the terms or conditions of which you were given parole. You might consider contacting a legal represenitive such as a lawyer about your situation.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. We may be able to assist you with locating legal aid services in your area.
      If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.

Again tell us what it is you would like us to help you with and we will be happy to explore some options with you.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help.

Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

[email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi I’m on probation and just got 3 citation for possession of an inhalant. I’m in felony probation and it’s through drug court. I’m thinking about running because I don’t want to get back to jail.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 11-10-2017, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Hi I’m on probation

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
          NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

[email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm 17 Turning 18 I August, I'm From Iowa I Was Charged With Petty Theft, Failure To Disperse, And Disorderly Conduct I Moved To Texas And My Probation Officer Knew About Me Moving When I Return At 18 What Could Happen?

Comment

• ccsmod3
              ccsmod3 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough and stressful time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, so we can’t say for sure what would happen when you return to Iowa. If there is a warrant out for your arrest, or if you broke parole, you may face consequences for that when you return. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

There are also many resources that could help you get to a safe place if you’re in need, help you talk through what’s been going on, or help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

-NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X