running away on probation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re:run away

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a lot. It’s great to see that you are reaching out for help before making a decision.
    It seems like you have been thinking about running away from home. While we are not legal experts, just speaking in general terms running away is a status offense and what that means is that police can bring you back home and whoever you are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway and could get in legal trouble. However, we are not sure what might happen if you are on probation and whether there would be any consequences after you turn 18. The best way to find out would be to call the local police department or check with a lawyer. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat with us from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST we would be happy to look up those numbers for you. You might also want to think about how you might pay for food, rent and other living expenses. We would be able to talk to you, explore your options and look for any resources if those might be options for you.
    You are doing great by reaching out for help before making a decision. This can be a really hard time. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.
    Best
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

12-16

Hi,
      Reaching out for help can be difficult and we are glad you messaged us. You do not deserve to be abused. We are sorry to hear no one has reached out and helped you when you reported your parents abuse. If you wanted to file an abuse report again we can help you walk through the process, we are available by phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week (1-800-786-2929). We are also available to listen and talk through other resources by phone or chat.
      We are not legal experts and every case is different. In most states running away is not a crime but is considered a status offense. If you runaway to a friend or relative the person housing you could be charged with harboring a runaway. You can call your local non-emergency police number for additional legal questions. Consequences for running away can also very depending on past charges.
      If you ever had a case worker that you could get in touch with they may be able to help you with additional resources and suggestions. We are also here to listen and provide additional resources and suggestions. You do not deserve to be abused and are here to help.

NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod15; 09-11-2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Re: running away on probation

I am on probation. I am 16. I need to run to go see my father before he dies.He is VERY sick. Any suggestions?

Comment

Re: Re: running away on probation

Hi there,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re certainly in a tough spot being on probation and unable to see your father. You shared that he is very sick, this has to be extremely difficult. We’re glad you reached out.

It sounds like you are looking to visit your father as he is not doing well as far as his health is concerned. This has to be very hard to be going through, especially being that you are away from him. It sounds like you are looking to visit him for a certain period of time but may not have plans to stay. We’re not experts, but generally, if your legal guardian allows you to visit, they would be responsible for providing transportation to and from. There may be different protocol for a youth who is on probation. One way to find out whether or not this would be permitted is to talk to your probation officer to see if there is any way this could happen.

We’re here 24/7 to talk more with you about your situation and try to come up with possible options and a plan to help keep you safe. Please, do not hesitate to call or chat to talk further.

Best,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

run away

I'm on probation for 6 months & I'm on my last warning and I'm a first offender for possession of marijuana & I've been smoking since I was 12 like ciggerts and can't seem to stop if I ran for 6 months without getting caught will I still get locked up after the 6 months are over or will they let it go because its been 6 months ?

Comment

re: run away

Hey there,

It seems like you have some questions as to whether or not you could be sent back jail if you run away. At this time we actually don't have access to that information to say for sure what would happen to you. We aren't legal experts here. You could check with your probation officer and ask them what the possible consequences of leaving home are while you're on probation.

Good luck
              NRS

Comment

Im 15 on the run and on probation I don't have any class a felonies or higher up charges if there is a warrant for my arrest when should my warrant and charges drop is it 18 or do i just eventually have to get caught and my time

Comment

First of all thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you are trying to make a big decision and it’s great that you are reaching out to get some additional help. We here at NRS are not legal experts. What we can say, is that probation can be very serious and can have a lot of consequences. These consequences are something to think about when deciding what to do next.
                  If you are looking for additional help in terms of answering your question about waiting to turn 18, you could also contact a probation officer or a legal aid resource. If you are interested in legal aid resources or any more additional support feel free to call us at anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We may not be able to answer specific legal questions, but we can offer support and help brainstorm some more options you have. Good luck with everything!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Hi Iam 16 . Ima Be 17 On Oct . & Back In 2010 I Used To Leave My House without permission . so my mother would file for run away . in 2010 i ran away like 5 times . & Later on i got pregnant . I Had My Child & I Focused On My Kid And My Responsibilities . When My Child Was A 1 year old . I Started Falling Off . Plus I Dont Have The Help Of My Child's Parent's They Don't Help Me With My Kid . & The Father Im Not With Him . Plus Is Not In The States . My Mother Is Single And Has Me My Child My Brother . She Hardley Has Time For Us . Because of Work And Stuff. One Day I Went To My Friends Hosue Around 8 Because She Has A Cumpter . & I Wanted To Activate My Fone Online . My Mom Was At Home With My Child . I Just Told My Mom I Was Going To A Friends House Ill Be Back . It Goy\t To The Point Were i I Was with My Girl's House . (Btw I Dont Go Out I'm A Person That Stay's In The House All Day With My Child. Iam Not The Type Of Girl Living Her Life Party Anymre That Was The Old Me , So I Hardly Spend Time With My Old Friends Or Friends) . Well It Got To The Point That It Was 12 Mid Night . Or 11;30 & My Mom Was Calling My Old Cell # But I Acttivated a New Fone so She Didnt Know My Num. I Was Going To Call Her But I Was To Busy Taliking To My Friend & On Her Cumputer You Know Having A Good Time . The Around 12 something A Cop Calls My New Fone Number & Tells Me Were im @ and I Tellem @ My Friemds House I Gave Him The adress And We Talked & He Told Me The Next Time Your Mom Calls Us ima Have To Put you In Jail . I Was Like Ok . & I Talk To My Mom That Night . about Alot Of Things. Me and My Mom Have Communication Btw . & So Everything Was Going To Be Fine I Thought . Then Like A Month Pass I Left In The Morning To a Friends House I Didnt Come Back Until The Next Day In The Moring . ( iam Not The Kind Of Person That Goes Out ) Just Like 1 day A week That's It ) . & When i Came Back To My House my Mom Told Me She Called The Cops . When We sat Down And Talked About This . idk why my mom keeps reporting runaway if ima come back home she knows . idk why she want's me to get in trouble with the law .she knows that i have a child is not easy @ a Young age again I Dont Have Help From Nobody The Only Ine Is My Mom . Why Would She want More Problems Envoldving The Law is Not Good Right Now , Im young (16) I know But I Need To Get Out From The House At least Go Have Fun Jus( Once A week ( Cause I Have A Child) . The Reson Why I Need To Get Out Have Some Fun .? Because My Mom Be Stressing Me Out brother and Other People Too. Thiers Not ONE Day My Mom Not Yells @ Me . She Yells @ Me For Petty Stuff . She Needs To Understand Me . So Now i have Consquences I cause The Last Time I Supposly Ran way I Went To The Poilce Department And The Told Since You Have A Child And You Have Run Away A Total Of 7 Times Next Time Your Mom Files For Rin away Were Just Going To Put You In Jail Until You Turn 18 . and Man Realy I Dont Want That . O Barley Have Freedom Out Here Wth My Mom . I Just wanna Know Could They Realy Put Me In Jail Right Now . How Many Times Could You Run away For The Police To Put Me In Jail . cause If That's The Case iam Just Very Tierd I Dont Like Police To Be Honest I Dont want To To To Jail I ve Been Thier Only once . If That's The Case I Just wanna Leve But Never Come Back iam Tierd Very Tierd That No One Understands Me . Especially My Blood . My Own Mother .

this happenes to me now babe im 23

Comment

Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services.

Thank you,
                      NRS

Comment

hey im not even 2 months away from being 18 i turn 18 on dec 12
                        could i get in trouble if i go over my friends but come home before curfew even though my mom has told me not to go. but i tell her where i am going an what i will be doing an when i will be home...would that still be a runnaway. ?

Comment

Hello and thanks for posting on our forum. It sounds like you’ll be 18 soon and are trying to figure out what might happen if you run away. We unfortunately cannot say for sure as we are not legal experts. However, the outcome will likely depend on your local law enforcement. Our understanding is for most intents and purposes, you are considered a legal adult at 18. So, if you leave without permission, your mom may file you as a runaway/missing juvenile. If she decides to make this report, your friend (if 18+) and/or their parents/guardians/other household members could potentially get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Some police departments will say the parent/guardian has to wait until curfew passes, while others will take the report right away if the parent/guardian insists their minor child does not have permission to be away from home. If you share your city/state, we can look up your non-emergency police or sheriff’s department to try and get more information. Good luck!

Comment

I've been on probation 7 years and been running for 7 years what could happen to me?

Comment

RE:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear that you have been going through so much for 7 years. We're not legal experts, but in most places running away is a status offense and not criminal in nature. However, if running away is a violation of your probation (not having locations approved by probation officer, not making meetings or fulfilling other requirements) there might be more legal consequences than usual. This can look like having a warrant for an arrest since it is violating probation. One way to find out is to talk with a probation officer you previously had or have someone call on your behalf.
                              We can also look up legal resources for you to ask these specific legal questions regarding your case, if you would feel more comfortable with that.

We would be happy to discuss your situation in more detail if you called in or utilized our live chat service.

Best of luck,
                              NRS

Comment

Hi im 15 and im on probation till im 18.. i currently live in Kentucky...
                                But anyways my question is if i ran away until im 18 and when im 18 and then i come back to my home will i get in trouble for running away till im 18 even tho im 18 will i still get in trouble for running??...

Comment

• ccsmod2
                                  ccsmod2 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Hey there,

You have a valid question about leaving when your are 18. Because you are on probation, you may want to reach out to your probation officer to see if there would be any limitations on you moving when you are 18. You can also see if they can tell you whether or not 18 is considered to be a legal adult in your state.

Best of luck,
                                  NRS
                              Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X