X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    While we aren’t legal experts, we are glad you are reaching out to us because we are here to help. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now, so we’re glad to hear that you are thinking about your options and that you have several places to stay depending on your choices.

The questions you asked, such as if the probation offer can track you or if charges will be dropped are dependent on the details of your situation as well as however the court rules at your court date. As we said, we aren’t legal experts, but we can get you in contact with legal resources to help answer your questions. Judges can look at your previous records and your behavior since probation to inform their decisions, so talking to someone who is a legal expert and letting them evaluate your situation may offer you the type of answers you are looking for. Because we don’t know what state you’re in, it’s tricky for us to give you direct contacts to call, but the following website may offer a directory to free legal aid programs by state https://www.lawhelp.org/find-help/. You may also be able to search “Pro Bono” or “free legal aid” in a search engine to get in contact with someone who may be able to help.

If you wanted to discuss your situation further with someone on our hotline, we could also help to find resources we have in our system for your state! We could offer support in this difficult time or talk with you about other options. Our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 is confidential and 24/7.

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Im 16 and currently on the run. I’m on probation and I have in the past failed a drug test after a simple possession charge after a routine search at a public place. I wish to remain free but I know if I return home I will most likely face legal repercussions. After running while on probation. I’m awaiting a court date on the possession charge and probation violation after failing a drug test. I would like to know what are my odds of walking away better off than before I left. I have (several) places to stay including several out of town/state. Can the probation office track me outside of the state and place me somewhere? I have a couple thousand dollars saved up and still growing. Would it be better to return home or stay on the run until I turn 18? For I enjoy my own freedom. If I turn 18 will the charges/ probation be dropped or will I go to jail?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi,

Tthanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

First, we want you to know that we are not legal experts here. However, we can tell you that running away is not illegal. You are not breaking any laws by running away. If you repeatedly run away, though, you could get in different forms of trouble dependent on where you live.

When you run away, the police will most likely bring you back to your legal guardian. It’s important to keep in mind any consequences you may face when you are returned home. How will you parents respond to you running away? How much trouble will you get in? If you want to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can talk about why you want to run away, what options you may have, and what some of the consequences may be.

Please be safe, and we look forward to your call if you are comfortable reaching us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7 every day of the year.

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi my name is tay i ran away before but they have caught me what will the sentwnce o will get if i do it again and when i get out will i have to go back to that person that i ran away from im also 13

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply:Hello im 16 and been on the run

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
    As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
    It also sounds like you have run away before and have some concerns about what might happen if you are picked up by the police.

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. For more information about any court missed court appearances you might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello im 16 and been on the run for a couple months and im far away from home like really far so an officer called my mom gave them my number can they track me and how long can you be locked up for skipping court?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hello,
    Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have a lot going on and then are kept stifled at home on top of that. Being treated as lesser by your own parent seems terrible, on top of being berated for seeming lazy when all you can do is lounge around inside the house anyway. It’s understandable that you want an outlet or to get away.
    You mentioned that you have turned to cutting yourself. It seems like you are using that as an outlet for your frustration and in order to feel something other than boredom. This website https://twloha.com/ could be a helpful resource if you want help with that. In addition if you feel like these feelings are escalating the https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ is always there for you too. It does sound like you are suffering from abuse from your mother. https://Childhelp.org/ specializes in helping those in situations like yours with their problems. You should never be abused emotionally or physically.
    In answer to your question there are two things to consider that could result from you running way. First is that you said you are on probation and there are probably legal consequences for running away while on probation. Depending of course on the conditions of your probation. Running away itself is not a crime, but violating probation could. If you didn’t have to worry about probation, being a runway is only a status offence. This means that you would not be arrested, but would be simply brought home if picked up by the police. Being a runaway might violate probation however.
    Hopefully these resources and answers have been helpful to you. Being bullied by your peers, and by your parent seems terrible, and having nothing to do at home is so stifling. It sounds like you can have friends over, maybe your mom would OK a hobby that lets you get out of the house. If you have more questions, or just need someone to talk to we are also available 24/7 online or at 1-800-786-2929.

Guest replied
    Hi I'm a 14 year old girl and I'm on probation due to cyber bullying I have until May of 2019 but I feel the need to run away due to my mother no it's not from a divorce or anything like that it's because she treats me like I'm worthless she's been treating me like this even before probation I can never do anything and she compares me to others and even wishes to keep my friends over (says that to them when I'm around) makes me seem fat or I'm lazy when really she knows nothing about me I've gotten bullied my whole 8th grade time and was told to kill myself but she did nothing. Now it's summer and she let's me do nothing she waists her money but blames me for it. While I can't go anywhere due to her work hours I sit home alone doing nothing. I'm not even aloud to ride my bike. When I try to have a conversation she of course threatens to take my phone our Wi-Fi bill hasn't even been paid meaning there's nothing to do but sleep. No wonder I cut myself. So my question is of I run away what will happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi, it looks like you reached out to us today through one of our other platforms. We have responded to your other message, so please see that response. If you have further questions, please feel free to call us at 1-800-786-2929. Good luck!

Guest replied
    I am 14 years old, I am planning to run away with my friend because we are going through a lot right now. I am currently on probation for a felony... if I get caught while I’m still on probation will I be in trouble with the law?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately we don’t have a clear answer to your question because we’re not legal experts. If you have questions about the terms of your probation, you would need to contact your parole officer directly.
    Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our number is 1-800-786-2929 and our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
    Stay safe!

Guest replied
    Im on probation till im 19 and im 17 right and i want to run away so what would happen if they find me 2 years later

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It is not always easy to reach out for help, and we want you to know we recognize your courage and appreciate you sharing with us.

Anxiety can be difficult to deal with at times, so it is good that you are seeking out ways to cope and making sure you are making safe choices. If you ever want to brainstorm different ways to deal with anxiety, feel free to talk with us more over chat or give us a call. We can provide you with some mental health resources and talk through some options that may be helpful other than leaving home. We are not legal experts, so we cannot tell you what your exact consequences may be since this will depend on the specifics of your probation. However, we can give you a little information about runaway laws.

Even though you are only considering leaving for a few hours, your parents can still contact the police and file a runaway report. Generally, running away is what’s known as a status offense. This means that, if your parents file a runaway report with the police, the police can look for you and pick you up, but this does not mean that you are being arrested or that you will be charged with a crime. However, because you are on probation, you may have greater consequences – again, these will depend on the specifics of your probation.
    We want you to know that at NRS, we want to do our best to help you during this difficult time. For us to best help you with your specific situation, you can consider reaching out to us through chat or giving us a call directly. Because NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance, we can best help by phone or chat. Please consider calling us or chatting with us soon if you would like to talk in more detail about what’s going on.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    We hope to hear from you soon, and look forward to doing what we can to help.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 17 years old with a misdemeanor offense and on probation and I just want to leave the house for a couple of hours without my parents knowing where I am basically sneaking out, it's just that sometimes I get anxiety and want to be left alone.What will the consequences be if they tell my probation officer? Can the police do something about it ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I'm 15 last month....

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are not legal experts here at NRS which means we are unable to say what the courts might do with your situation.
    If you have legal representation you might consider consulting with them about this legal matter.

We do want you to know that we are here as support during this challenging time.
    We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X