Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 and on probation I was wondering if I sneak out and my parents were too catch me and called the cops what could happen could I be arrested and brought into shelter care

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod16
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there, thanks for posting today! Sounds like you are in a tough spot right now. We are here to help!

We are not legal experts here at NRS but we do have some information on runaway laws in general. What we know is that in order for anyone to know you are a runaway, typically your parent would need to file a runaway report with the police. This lets the police know you are gone and if they find you, they may return you back home. You may want to consider if your guardian would have filed one.

Some police departments take reports for anyone under the legal age of adulthood (18 in most states). Some stop at 17 or 17.5 since they are so close to legal age. There is no way to know unless you call and ask your police department anonymously, which we can also do with you if you want to call us at 1-800-786-2929. Once you turn 18, you may still be listed, but you are not considered a runaway after you reach legal adulthood.

As far as the charges for your probation, again, we are not legal experts, so we cannot speak to that. We do have resources for legal services nationwide though so if you want to live chat on this website or call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can provide some for your area too!

Thanks again for posting and feel free to reach out anytime!

Guest replied
    I been on probation for 2 years already and they added another year on my last court date, I was already on an ankle monitor and the next day I was suppose to go back and get a higher quality monitor and that same day I ran away and I been gone for 3 months since then. I'm 17 years old and im wondering ifI stay gone until I'm 18 will they drop all the charges I have on probation even if I do have a warrant out for my arrest?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Unfortunately, we do not know how you can run from probation and then no longer be accountable for your probation. From our general understanding, if you run away from probation there could be additional legal consequences. If you would like us to look up legal aid resources for you that might be able to help please call or chat us.

Sorry we were unable to answer your question well. Good luck with everything and please reach out to us if you need any housing resources or support: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I'm 21 and I ran from probation in Georgia and now in Nevada. What could I do to make it to where I don't have probation anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. As far as your probation you would also find yourself with m,ore serious consequences. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So I am 14 and gonna be 15 next month and I’m on probation. We live in Colorado and are moving to Oregon and I am running away tomorrow will I violate my probation and get arrested?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you may be feeling like there is a lot that is up in the air with your future and your child’s future. Sending out this message is definitely a great step to take and we want to congratulate you on reaching out and being proactive in a stressful situation.

One potential option for getting a better sense of what will happen to you and your child is to contact Child Protective Services in your area. You can make an anonymous call to ask about what role CPS might take in your situation. This is also especially helpful if you plan on receiving maternal health care before having your baby. The CPS representative on the call can provide you with more detailed information on what their level of involvement would be. As long as you do not divulge your full name and contact information, you will be able to receive guidance from CPS without them being obligated to intervene in any way.

If you would like, we could contact CPS on your behalf or be there on the line during the call. If you give us a call, one of our trained liners will be happy to assist you in navigating the call.

We hope that this information is useful for you. If you have any additional questions or concerns that you would like to discuss, we definitely encourage you to call us on our anonymous and confidential 24/7 hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or visit our website 1800runaway.org. We would be more than willing to assist you with additional resources and support. We wish you the very best of luck.

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 17 and I ran away from a detention center that the judge put me in because I wouldn't stop leaving home. I'm now pregnant and my due date is next January. I turn 18 in September and wondering what will happen to me or my child.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Because you are already in legal trouble there might be more heavier consequences. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 17 and currently on probation. I’ve been on probation for 7 months and haven’t been sentenced yet. I’m in family court. They took my felony I had and dropped it to a misdemeanor assault. I have a boyfriend that’s 20 and I’m court ordered to stay away from him because of a sexual letter he wrote me when the judge put me in a bsu. 17 is age of consent in New York though but I still can’t see him. I’ve been failing my piss test and ran away for a few hours then my probation officer threatened me with house arrest or placement. I’m thinking of runaway and going to Florida. What would happen if I was caught?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. While we are not legal experts from what we gather if you are on probation for something serious you could expect more court dates and steeper consequences. It just depends on how long you have been gone and what your first offense was. It is likely if you do not report back you can face more court dates even after being turning eighteen. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    im on probation and im on the run if i get cought when im 18 what will the cops do to me..im on probation till im 18

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. We are not legal experts but we will do our best to help. It is frustrating when you feel the police are not doing anything, we have seen this in some cases. One option you could try is to contact The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, sometimes they work with the police or may have other resources in helping you find your grandson. They can be reached at 1800-843-5678. Another great resource is called Team HOPE which is a hotline ran by parents, grandparents, and legal guardians who have gone through a similar situation. They can provide insight on what has helped them that may also help you. Team HOPE can be reached at 1800-305-4673. We know it can be hard to still have hope, but please do not give up you are not alone.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck, and please stay strong!
    NRS

Guest replied
    my grandson is 14 and ran away feb 11th and no one has seen him in Deming New Mexico. He's also on probation i live in California 12 hrs away the mom is saying she knows he's safe and isnt tripping i am but yet they cant make her say what she knows the police are doing nothing till today that i said i was putting a complaint to the attorney general in NM...the 2 kids are mad dad took custody last march cause mom had them homeless..they came to live with me in jan2018 and went back to dad one in oct. And the other in Nov..dad has no problem giving them to mom but she has no job or home for them ..mom lives in California with her sister who has 2 teens in a 3 bedroom home..mom has not gone back to NM to search for her son???? What can i do im in touch with the police everyday i give leads off social media names address ect..and nothing no call backs nothing i have to call to get a call back...im lost help

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X