• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Re: running away on probation

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and are hoping to get some legal information about what might happen if you run away. We respect your right not to discuss your mental problems. However, if you ever change your mind, we are here to listen.
    We are not legal experts, but can do our best to provide general answers to your questions. To our knowledge running away is normally just a status offense. That typically means that a minor (under 18 in most states) cannot leave home without permission simply due to their age. If a parent/guardian files a runaway report and police find the runaway, they would usually just take them back home or make arrangements for them to return home if the youth has travelled far away.

However, you mention you are on probation, so it sounds like that would come with its own consequences for leaving. If your parent(s)/guardian(s) decide to file a runaway report it would typically go into the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) which is a National database. Although police do not always actively look for youth, if they did come across you, they would see you are listed as a runaway.

We cannot say for certain how and if applying for a job will affect runaway status, but the U.S. Department of Labor does list some information regarding minors and the workplace. Here is a link: http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/index.htm.

If you would like legal advice, we can do our best to connect you to legal aid resources. If you are able to contact us directly either by calling at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our newest option, Live Chat (red button on our website), we can search for the nearest legal aid based on your town or city. We hope that helps and wish you the best of luck!

-NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic running away on probation

running away on probation

hi im a 17 years old. currently im on probation for a felony and on it till i turn 19. im planning to run away due to mental problems(something most wont understand so dont ask). currently i live in Colorado and planning to run away to Tampa, Florida for sunny days. whats the chances of me gettting caught if i live all the way in Tampa? also if i apply for a job will it automatically alert the police after a few years or will it calm down?
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X