running away on probation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running away on probation

hi im a 17 years old. currently im on probation for a felony and on it till i turn 19. im planning to run away due to mental problems(something most wont understand so dont ask). currently i live in Colorado and planning to run away to Tampa, Florida for sunny days. whats the chances of me gettting caught if i live all the way in Tampa? also if i apply for a job will it automatically alert the police after a few years or will it calm down?

Re: running away on probation

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and are hoping to get some legal information about what might happen if you run away. We respect your right not to discuss your mental problems. However, if you ever change your mind, we are here to listen.
    We are not legal experts, but can do our best to provide general answers to your questions. To our knowledge running away is normally just a status offense. That typically means that a minor (under 18 in most states) cannot leave home without permission simply due to their age. If a parent/guardian files a runaway report and police find the runaway, they would usually just take them back home or make arrangements for them to return home if the youth has travelled far away.

However, you mention you are on probation, so it sounds like that would come with its own consequences for leaving. If your parent(s)/guardian(s) decide to file a runaway report it would typically go into the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) which is a National database. Although police do not always actively look for youth, if they did come across you, they would see you are listed as a runaway.

We cannot say for certain how and if applying for a job will affect runaway status, but the U.S. Department of Labor does list some information regarding minors and the workplace. Here is a link: http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/index.htm.

If you would like legal advice, we can do our best to connect you to legal aid resources. If you are able to contact us directly either by calling at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our newest option, Live Chat (red button on our website), we can search for the nearest legal aid based on your town or city. We hope that helps and wish you the best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Don't runaway

Man up and face the music. You are on probation, thats 1000x better than being in juvie. locked up where you can't be with your family.Sure it may seem like a good idea now, but really how easy will it be always watching your back worrying that they are going to find you? Its way too much stress for someone your age to have to worry about

Comment

Thanks.

That's an interesting idea and a good viewpoint. Thanks for your input. It's important to put things into perspective but also everyone's experiences are different.

Point taken.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Run away

Hi Iam 16 . Ima Be 17 On Oct . & Back In 2010 I Used To Leave My House without permission . so my mother would file for run away . in 2010 i ran away like 5 times . & Later on i got pregnant . I Had My Child & I Focused On My Kid And My Responsibilities . When My Child Was A 1 year old . I Started Falling Off . Plus I Dont Have The Help Of My Child's Parent's They Don't Help Me With My Kid . & The Father Im Not With Him . Plus Is Not In The States . My Mother Is Single And Has Me My Child My Brother . She Hardley Has Time For Us . Because of Work And Stuff. One Day I Went To My Friends Hosue Around 8 Because She Has A Cumpter . & I Wanted To Activate My Fone Online . My Mom Was At Home With My Child . I Just Told My Mom I Was Going To A Friends House Ill Be Back . It Goy\t To The Point Were i I Was with My Girl's House . (Btw I Dont Go Out I'm A Person That Stay's In The House All Day With My Child. Iam Not The Type Of Girl Living Her Life Party Anymre That Was The Old Me , So I Hardly Spend Time With My Old Friends Or Friends) . Well It Got To The Point That It Was 12 Mid Night . Or 11;30 & My Mom Was Calling My Old Cell # But I Acttivated a New Fone so She Didnt Know My Num. I Was Going To Call Her But I Was To Busy Taliking To My Friend & On Her Cumputer You Know Having A Good Time . The Around 12 something A Cop Calls My New Fone Number & Tells Me Were im @ and I Tellem @ My Friemds House I Gave Him The adress And We Talked & He Told Me The Next Time Your Mom Calls Us ima Have To Put you In Jail . I Was Like Ok . & I Talk To My Mom That Night . about Alot Of Things. Me and My Mom Have Communication Btw . & So Everything Was Going To Be Fine I Thought . Then Like A Month Pass I Left In The Morning To a Friends House I Didnt Come Back Until The Next Day In The Moring . ( iam Not The Kind Of Person That Goes Out ) Just Like 1 day A week That's It ) . & When i Came Back To My House my Mom Told Me She Called The Cops . When We sat Down And Talked About This . idk why my mom keeps reporting runaway if ima come back home she knows . idk why she want's me to get in trouble with the law .she knows that i have a child is not easy @ a Young age again I Dont Have Help From Nobody The Only Ine Is My Mom . Why Would She want More Problems Envoldving The Law is Not Good Right Now , Im young (16) I know But I Need To Get Out From The House At least Go Have Fun Jus( Once A week ( Cause I Have A Child) . The Reson Why I Need To Get Out Have Some Fun .? Because My Mom Be Stressing Me Out brother and Other People Too. Thiers Not ONE Day My Mom Not Yells @ Me . She Yells @ Me For Petty Stuff . She Needs To Understand Me . So Now i have Consquences I cause The Last Time I Supposly Ran way I Went To The Poilce Department And The Told Since You Have A Child And You Have Run Away A Total Of 7 Times Next Time Your Mom Files For Rin away Were Just Going To Put You In Jail Until You Turn 18 . and Man Realy I Dont Want That . O Barley Have Freedom Out Here Wth My Mom . I Just wanna Know Could They Realy Put Me In Jail Right Now . How Many Times Could You Run away For The Police To Put Me In Jail . cause If That's The Case iam Just Very Tierd I Dont Like Police To Be Honest I Dont want To To To Jail I ve Been Thier Only once . If That's The Case I Just wanna Leve But Never Come Back iam Tierd Very Tierd That No One Understands Me . Especially My Blood . My Own Mother .

Comment

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard during this difficult time. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and we are glad that you have reached out to us for assistance. Hopefully, we can provide you with some resources and support that will help you get through this.

Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained here so we wouldn’t be able to tell you if you would go to jail or not for continuing to leaving home. Your mom may have the right to file a report with the police when you leave home. Now running away isn’t typically illegal but it is considered a status offense; a status offense is something that a youth can’t do because they are under 18. Other status offenses can include truancy or breaking curfew. Sometimes, when a youth does a lot of these different things, the police will sometimes become involved with different programs they may have. Since laws and police departments vary from state to state, we wouldn’t be able to tell you specifically what would happen.

It sounds like you have a lot going on with your mom and your baby right now. It’s great that your mom has been so supportive of you and has been helping you out with your baby but it also sounds like you are having some difficulties with your mom. We are sorry to hear that you don’t have a relationship with your baby’s dad or his family; it seems like that is difficult for you. Is there anyone else that would be able to support you or give you some assistance? At the National Runaway Switchboard, we have a database of resources, such as counseling/therapy, shelters, etc…If you are interested in any of these resources, please give us a call and we can help you locate those in an area close to you. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have an online chat that is available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week. You can access that through our website (http://www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Comment

Runaway

Hi im 16 and I currently live in florida. Im on probhation but I keep running away I havent lived in my moms house since I was 15 she sent me to live with my grandfarther which is where I first ranaway from n I got arreseted tgen every time I got out I continued to runaway. My grandmother said I can come live with her in georgia but my mom doesnt like her so my mom doaent approve I am currently reported as a runaway right now and I want to go live with my grandmoyher untill I turn 18 what should I do?

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to us and telling us your story. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation right now and we think it’s great that you have contacted us for assistance. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are non directive so we wouldn’t be able to tell you what to do but we can definitely try to help you locate resources that may be able to help you out.

You said that you have been running away for about a year now, ever since your mom sent you to live with your grandpa. It also sounds like every time you leave, you are arrested but when they release you, you leave again. Can you tell us a little more about your situation? It also sounds like your grandma in Georgia has said you can stay with her but mom won’t approve of it. It sounds like you and your grandma are close; we think it’s great that you have someone who is supportive of you.

Now, we aren’t legally trained and wouldn’t be able to tell you what to do but we are definitely here to listen. If you were to go stay with your grandma, do you know how you would get there? Also, there is the possibility that she could get into trouble if you were to go stay with her and you were filed as a runaway. Your mom may have the option to tell the police she is harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

On our website, we do have a list of questions and other things to consider before leaving home (http://www.1800runaway.org/youth/nrs_can_help/). What do you think about these? Also, we are available 24 hours a day so if you would like to talk more about your options or explore what resources may be available to you, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Comment

Running away on probation

Hi, I am 16 years old and am also on probation. Right now I am planning on running away from home, I went to juvi last week for a probation violation, and have recently been charged with attempted theft1 and theft 3. I have reasons to run from my home, considering the emotional abuse. But I am mostly trying to run from the law. I know after about 2-3 years of being on the run a misdemeanor charge will be dropped, I have a place to stay, means of transportation, and only one other person knows of my plans who I know will not say anything, I know if I stick around I will be doing some time in lock-up and also be sent to a residential program. But, if I leave and get caught I will face double the consequences and my friend will get a kidnapping charge. He is willing to face this to get me out of town. The only way I will really get caught is if the police track my friends phone. Which I don't think they will do, considering my mom has only heard his name once is only aware of the general place he lives. We will be getting out of town about 11 hours after I initially leave home. We have to wait until morning to get a ride, and the only way I'm going to get out of my house is to sneak out because I am currently on house arrest. I do not think I will be found. And I do plan on leaving permanently. I have a plan, and everything I need to survive if not thrive. I wanted to know how likely is it I will get caught, and how would they go about catching me?

Comment

Re: Running away on probation

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're going through a tough time and seeking some answers. We're not legal advisors but we'll try and help out as best as we can.

So you've stated that after 2-3 years of being on the run with a misdemeanor, that that warrant will just go away? We're not so sure about that. That might be something you'd like to check with a local police department and see what actually happens when someone with a misdemeanor stays on the run for x amount of years.

And you've mentioned that people are willing to have you and house you...do you know if they'd require you to pay any rent? Sometimes people are willing to host runaways but not aware of risks that come with that. But we're glad to hear that you've got supportive people around you that are willing to support you in any way possible.

But to answer your question, we're not sure about the chances of them catching you and we can't really comment on it because it's all based on situation to situation. That's a hard things to calculate.

If you'd like to talk about this a bit more, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. We can explore resources and options that are available to you.

We're here to listen, here to help.

Best,
                    NRS

Comment

Hi I am 17 years old I will be 18 in april. I was put in juvie for engaging in prostitution and just got released on January 22nd and I was supposed to go to an independent living program but they denied me. I was really counting on leaving my parents house soon after I got released but since the program denied me I am planning on running away again. However, after I got released the judge put me on 4 months probation so if I run away will that technically be considered a violation of probation? If so what would be the consequences if I turned myself in once I turned 18?

Comment

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been through some really tough situations. Although we are not legal experts, we can try and help you find resources and explain what we know about the runaway laws. Technically it's not against the law for you to run away from home. In most states it would be considered a 'status offence'. The catch is that anyone you would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with 'harboring a runaway'. Technically once you turn 18 you are considered legally an adult in most places. Since we are not lawyers, we do not know what would happen in regards to your probation. Have you considered talking to your probation officer about your situation? You can also talked to your lawyer about what your rights are as a minor.

Here at the National Runaway Safeline we cannot tell you what you should or should not do. We can however help you find resources in your area and discuss what options you have. We can be reached at anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon!

- NRS

Comment

Concerned friend

A good friend of mine took her bracelet off and is running from probation and I was wondering if I should turn her in or just let her skip the state...she told me she was suppose to be on probation until october,and I was wondering if she comes back after October if she is ok...I if she will get in trouble for cutting her bracelet off and running? I am so scared for her,and to be with her if she happens to get caught

Comment

RE: Concerned Friend

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting us. You sound like a good friend who cares a lot about the predicament your friend is now in. Just to let you know, we are not legal experts. We do not know what would happen with her, but we can explain a little about the runaway laws. Just to let you know, it's not against the law for her to run away from home. In most states it would be considered a 'status offence'. However, if she is caught with you it is possible that you could be charged with 'harboring a runaway'. We do not know if her probation officer will have additional charges. One way to find out would be to contact your local law enforcement and ask anonymously what could happen to her.

She does have the right to be safe in her own home. She also has the right to go to school regardless of her living situation. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we cannot tell her what she should or should not do. We can help her find some legal aid in her area if she feels comfortable calling in. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from her soon.

- NRS

Comment

im in probation and want to run away

Im 16 almost turning 17 living in idaho.iv been thinking about it a lot and am thinking of running away but im in probation.how will this effect me.will i be good after i turn 18?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X