14 and wants to run away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 and wants to run away.

I am 14 I never like it were I live I am treated terrible I have hardly any friends, I get bullied the place I work for I am treated like a unwanted filthy slave who trys as hard as they can to do work and I get yelled at and punished and I can't quit I have internet bills to pay for. I have a Girlfriend who just moved to a different state and I want go with her. Would it be illegal for her to assist in my escape and what would happen to us?

14 and wants to run away.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear about everything you are going through at the moment. We imagine it is very difficult to get bullied at the place you work for and to be treated the way you do. No one deserves to be treated that way. We are not legal experts, but there might be Labor laws to prevent that kind of thing from happening. Here is a link to the U.S. Department of Labor’s section on youth labor: http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/youthlabor/

As far as we know running away is just considered a status offense. However, harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and crossing state lines with a minor are considered crimes. To our knowledge, these are usually just misdemeanors, but they may also be influenced by the person’s prior criminal history. If you ran away to your girlfriend’s state and your parent(s)/guardian(s) filed you as a runaway and police discovered this, they would usually just try and get you back home. Until travel arrangements can be made, they might have you stay at a shelter or in temporary protective custody.

We can never know exactly what will happen should you decide to leave, but if you’d like to continue discussing pros and cons as well as possible options, you are welcome to contact us directly. We can be reached 24/7 by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through Live Chat (red button on www.1800runaway.org) from 4:30 to 11:30pm CST every day. We hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

RE:

What if I wanted to travel by bus? Make my way to my girl friends house and stay their? Instead of her picking me up?

Comment

Thank you for getting back to us so quickly. Again, we are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a lot of stress right now and we hope to be able to provide you with some resources to help you further.

We aren’t legally trained here so we wouldn’t be able to tell you exactly what would happen if you were to go to your girlfriend. But, our understanding is that even if you were to take the bus to her, she or her family could still get into trouble for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor. If you would like to call us, we may be able to find you a legal resource that is available in your area that could further answer your questions. We could also help you to call them and ask the questions.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

RE:

Ok what if I was looking for to go on my own with out my parents could I maybe find a way to legally leave? I herd about Exclamation or something I read about it but did not quite understand that? Is their ways I can go about my own legally without having to be 18?

Comment

RE:

Thanks so much for writing in and sharing a bit more about your situation. You mentioned that you are trying to find a way to legally be on your own without your parent's permission. Is there a reason that you are thinking about leaving home? How do you think your parents would react if you spoke with them about wanting to leave? Now we are not lawyers here so we cannot give you any specific legal information but can discuss some different options. In most states the age of majority, when someone is considered an adult, is 18 years old. However, there are many states (sometimes it depends on the city or county) that have discrepancies between the age of majority and the age a youth is considered a runaway. For example we often hear that while the legal age of majority is 18, at 17 the local police no longer take runaway reports or make the youth return home if they leave without permission. A possible option may be to contact the local police who would have the most accurate information for your specific area. The difficulty of the situation is if you are a minor and you leave your home without permission your parent/guardian would have the right to make a runaway report. What do you think your parents would do if you left the home without permission?

You also mentioned that you have looked into emancipation and were trying to get some more information on that. Most emancipation laws vary from state to state. It is important to keep in mind that emancipation is a legal procedure so it can often time be expensive and also may take some time. Some of the things that courts often look at are if you have a safe place to stay and if you can support yourself independently. If you did decide to leave your parents home do you have a safe place to stay or someway to support yourself?

Just so you know if you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can always give us a call at our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is available 24 hours a day so there is always someone here to provide support, discuss options, and even find resources in your area. If you want to get more information on emancipation we can certainly look up legal resources for you in your area. We also have an online crisis chat that is available through our website, www.1800runaway.org, which is currently available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care.

Comment

RE: 14 and wants to run away

"Thanks so much for writing in and sharing a bit more about your situation. You mentioned that you are trying to find a way to legally be on your own without your parent's permission. Is there a reason that you are thinking about leaving home? How do you think your parents would react if you spoke with them about wanting to leave? Now we are not lawyers here so we cannot give you any specific legal information but can discuss some different options. In most states the age of majority, when someone is considered an adult, is 18 years old. However, there are many states (sometimes it depends on the city or county) that have discrepancies between the age of majority and the age a youth is considered a runaway. For example we often hear that while the legal age of majority is 18, at 17 the local police no longer take runaway reports or make the youth return home if they leave without permission. A possible option may be to contact the local police who would have the most accurate information for your specific area. The difficulty of the situation is if you are a minor and you leave your home without permission your parent/guardian would have the right to make a runaway report. What do you think your parents would do if you left the home without permission?

You also mentioned that you have looked into emancipation and were trying to get some more information on that. Most emancipation laws vary from state to state. It is important to keep in mind that emancipation is a legal procedure so it can often time be expensive and also may take some time. Some of the things that courts often look at are if you have a safe place to stay and if you can support yourself independently. If you did decide to leave your parents home do you have a safe place to stay or someway to support yourself?

Just so you know if you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can always give us a call at our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is available 24 hours a day so there is always someone here to provide support, discuss options, and even find resources in your area. If you want to get more information on emancipation we can certainly look up legal resources for you in your area. We also have an online crisis chat that is available through our website, www.1800runaway.org, which is currently available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. All of our services are completely confidential. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care."

Yes I do have a safe place to go I have my Girl Friends house she lives on her own she is only 16 and she's legally but she doesn't know how she did it she filled out something from a form from a site she doesn't remember.

Comment

RE: 14 and wants to run away

Hello,

We are glad you reached out again for additional support and resources. We are happy to hear that you have a safe option. We are mainly concerned for your safety. If you happen to find yourself without a proper plan we are still here for you. We do have a database with resources to locate services close to you. We just want to remind you that although it is not illegal to run away it is illegal for others to harbor you. We say this as a reminder to be mindful of the laws that may affect you in this situation.

We cannot be certain as to what form your friend filled out. It may have been for her to get housing. We have resources for transitional living programs or we can connect you to National Housing and Urban Development. HUD can at times match you to their local regional office and may be able to get you a voucher for housing. However, as a minor we are not sure how not having your parent's consent may impact your chances for housing. TLPs are also helpful to put your life on track with career counseling and basic needs.

We are here 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our hotline is available to you if you need to vent also. We can be reached 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

-NRS
                Last edited by ccsmod8; 01-23-2012, 09:41 PM.

Comment

15 and want to run away

I have absolutely no friends. I have 1 friend literally and she doesn't care if I live or die. I want to leave and maybe I'll be noticed for once.

Comment

RE: 14 and wants to run away.

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting us tonight. It sounds like you’re going through a really tough time right now. You’re brave for reaching out for some support. It also seems like you’re feeling pretty alone. That can be a scary feeling for sure. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

One resource that might be helpful to you is the National Suicide Hotline. Even if you’re just feeling down, they can be helpful in talking through ways to help you feel better. They can be a good support for you while you work on getting better. You can call them at 1-800-273-8255.

Also, sometimes talking with a parent or someone you really trust can be helpful in times like this. We’d really like you be here for you so you can call us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are completely confidential and anonymous. You can also chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30 Central Standard Time. We’re here to listen to what you’re going through as well as talk through options that you have available to you. We look forward to your call or chat.

There are many options available to you. We are here to talk with you about what they are.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X