No announcement yet.

Needing help finding out laws in Indiana about leaving home at 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm 17, my dad has full custody but I live with my mom. I have been having problems at my mom with her and her boyfriend. It is not good for my mental state after eveything I have seen and been through with them. Is there anyway I can move out ?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, thanks for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear things aren't going well for you at your mom's house. You sound very self-aware. As for what you can do: One option would be to move in with your dad, since you say he has full custody of you. Or, if you want to live elsewhere, you could ask permission from your dad to do so. The only thing is that if you leave without permission you could be considered a runaway. If the police locate you they could take you back to your parents (mom or dad, depending on the custody details). Anyone that you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor in most states. We never tell anyone what to do, and we can't say for sure what exactly would happen, but those are possibilities.

We'd like to see how we can assist further if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us online via www.1800runaway.org. We are confidential and have numerous resources in our database that you might find helpful (things like shelters, counseling, legal aid, etc.).

Stay safe. We hope to hear from you soon!
      NRS

Hey, I'm currently living with my mom and i'm pretty positive my dad and her have split custody. my mom won't let me live with my dad, so can my dad give me permission to go somewhere else?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,
      Thanks for reaching out to the NRS, it seems like you are in the middle of a complex situation and aren’t sure exactly where you stand. We know it can take a lot to reach out and we are happy to help and support you as best we can.
      While we are not legal experts, if you have parent permission to live somewhere else than your mom’s house then at least those you are staying with should be protected from harboring a runaway charge since you have some sort of explicit permission to live there. However, your mom still has a claim on you, and if your dad doesn’t have the ability to provide a safe place for you then your mom would probably be considered the next best option by the courts. If your mom isn’t letting you go and live with your dad part time or as much as agreed upon in the divorce proceedings, then you could go live with him. Pretty much any actions could potentially devolve into a court battle and usually police shy away from making unilateral choices during a court case and as long as you were safe somewhere might allow you to stay there until everything is figured out.
      Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We are here as support to help you and your friend through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.
      Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X