Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE:

Hello,
    Hope this finds you well. Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are glad that you reached out and are looking for some help. We are here to listen and talk. This sounds like a tough situation and you have been through a lot this past year.

We are not legal experts here at NRS, however, we can provide you with some legal aid options to obtain information regarding emancipation. Minors cannot just choose to go into foster care because they don't want to live with their legal guardian. Emancipation could be an option, or social services may remove you from the home and place you in foster care if there is abuse in the home. Another thing to think about is how you would survive if you were to leave your aunt's right now, for example, where you would stay or how you would fulfill some basic needs like food and shelter.

The best way for us to cover how we can best help you would be to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 so we can gather a more information and provide you appropriate resources. We are a confidential and anonymous, 24/7 toll-free hotline. Thank you again for contacting us and we look forward to your call.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Leaving home at 17

I have been mentally abused by my family (mom and boyfriend) In wich I live. My best friends mom has giving me the option to live with them. I am 16 but my birthday is in a few weeks! Would I be able to move out and live with my friend at 17 without getting in trouble??

Comment

Re: Leaving home at 17

Hi,

We’re so glad you reached out to us at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are glad you are taking steps to protect yourself from the mental abuse you mother and her boyfriend are giving you. Nobody deserves to suffer mental abuse.

In the state of Louisiana, you are considered a minor and under your parent’s jurisdiction until the age of 18. In some areas the police handle runaway cases for people age 17 a little differently, though. They may not actively search for you or they might just check if you are safe but not force you to return home. The way police handle runaway cases can vary from county to county and even among police districts. If you want to know for sure how the police in your area handle runaway cases at your age, you could call your police non-emergency line and ask them hypothetically how they handle such cases. If this is something you’re not comfortable with, we can help by calling out to the police for you or by looking up the appropriate number for where you live. We urge you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY to discuss any other options, or if you want to talk about your feelings in the matter.

Thank you again for contacting us at NRS. We want you to know we are here to listen. We are here to help.

Best,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

How old do you got to be to leave home on Louisiana

Comment

Re: Leaving home at 17 in Louisiana

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you are going through a hard time that is making you think about leaving home. It takes great courage to reach out for help and we are glad that you are exploring all your options before making a decision.
            Leaving home can be hard in many cases and there are many things to keep in mind before making a decision. You might want to think about where you might stay, how you might pay for rent, food and other expenses. It can be helpful to calculate how much you earn or have in savings and how much expenses you might incur. If you are currently taking any medication, you might want to think about how leaving home could effect your access to those medications.
            While, we are not legal experts here, just speaking in general terms if anyone under the age of 18 leaves home and their parents or legal guardians are to file a police report the police can bring them back home and whoever they are staying with could be charged with harboring a runaway and could get in trouble with the law. However 17 can be a gray area in many states, and since the laws vary from state, to state and in many cases from district to district the best way to find out would be to call the local police department. If you give us a call at our 24x7 confidential number at 1-800-786-2929 we would happy to give you the local police department number or call them and verify the local laws for you.
            This can all be overwhelming and we are here to listen to you, explore your options and provide you appropriate resources. You can reach us at our 24x7 confidential number at 1-800-786-2929 or live chat with us from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you luck with whatever you decide and hope to hear from you soon.
            Best,
            NRS

Originally posted by Kaylbendily View Post
            How old do you got to be to leave home on Louisiana

Comment

When I turn 17 can I move out? And my parents not say anything to stop me?

Comment

RE:

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to finding the help and information that you may need.
                It sounds like leaving home is the option that you are currently considering as the best decision for you. Some things to think about for the future are deciding if you will continue your education. How long do you anticipate on being gone or being able to stay where ever you may be? How will you support yourself or whom you will be staying with be willing to support you financially with food, clothing, other personal expenses/ allow you to stay rent free? What if things do not work out here in the future, what will be your back up plan? What will your parents reaction be?

We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home. However, being so close to/being 18 some districts handle these reports differently by possibly no actively searching for youth. You could find this out by calling your local police district’s non-emergency number. You would not have to give them specific information. If you feel uncomfortable doing so, you can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY and we could call on your behalf.

Best Wishes,
                NRS

Comment

Can i leave at 17

I am 17 an have a job. My mom always telling me to leave im with my friends 5 days out of the week but she still wont let me leave but i dont see why stay with her if she always tells me to leave. ? Any advice

Comment

Hello and thanks for checking out our forum. It sounds like you’re doing what you can to work towards independence by having a job. We’re sorry to hear your mom is always telling you to leave and imagine it’s frustrating when she goes back on her word and doesn’t let you leave after all. Unfortunately, that can happen in informal alternative living arrangements. We are not legal experts; however, parents/guardians are generally required to provide a minor with a place to stay (or an alternative) until they reach legal age (which is 18 in most states.) Not doing so may be considered neglect, so a parent may file their child as a runaway in order to avoid trouble with police or child protective services. If we know how much longer you have until you’re 18 and your city/state, we may be able to talk through some additional options and resources. We also encourage you to try out our Live Chat which opens today at 4:30pm CST. Best of luck!

Comment

Leaving home at 17

Hello, I'm sixteen currently, but I will be seventeen on December 9th. My boyfriend is nineteen and twenty on October 16th. My mom is okay with us being together (We've not had sex) but I can't leave home, even after I turn seventeen. My mom and I are okay, I'm not being abused or anything, but we argue a lot and it has just caused us to drift a bit. I also have borderline personality disorder as well as an anxiety disorder unfortunately. My BPD can cause me to lash out verbally under stress though. Anyway, I just want to know if I can be charged with runaway and if he can be charged with harboring a runaway if I leave. My best friend has run away several time from the age of fifteen till just recently, and the police told her after she turned seventeen they wouldn't come look for her anymore. Anyway, that's the story. I want to leave and I'm afraid for his sake that He will get charged. Any advice? I live in Lousiana and want to know the laws on it.
                      Thanks a million -L

Comment

re: leaving home at 17

Hello,

You and your mom seem to have a tough time getting along at home. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS

Comment

Please help

I turned 17 this August of 2016 and I live with my mother aunt because my mother dropped me off here 2 and a half years ago my mother has legal custody of me but is currently in jail and I have no idea when she will be out I am miserable at my aunts and she and her husband treat me like garbage the take advantage of me because I am a good person and I clean there whole house because I feel bad for them taking care of me but yet they won't allow me to leave I don't know who my father is and the only person who has custody of me is in jail so if I leave and go stay with a friend where I am safe wanted and happy cajole my aunt and uncle call the cops and I and my friend get into trouble?? Please help I don't know what else to do

Comment

Hi there,
                            Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
                            Thank you,
                            NRS

Comment

Well I'm 16 going on 17 in 6more days .Well after next month my brother wants me to move with because of my mama.Have been beating up by her boyfriend in my sleep not to long ago and I have been stressing a lot and I've been depressed and I was wondering was it possible for me to live with my 24 year old brother.My whole family had got involved when I been beaten by her boyfriend in my sleep.I don't feel safe living with my mama but I feel more safer with my Big brother cause I lived with him before.I was thinking about getting the police involved cause they wasn't involved last time when my mama boyfriend beat me up cause I thought I would get in more trouble.I cry every single night wishing I could go live with my brother he said I can in June.

Comment

• ccsmod15
                                ccsmod15 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a stressful situation and feel trapped at your mother’s house. We would like to emphasize that what your mother’s boyfriend is doing to you is wrong, and he has no right to abuse you. This is not your fault, and your mother's boyfriend is clearly in the wrong.

School counselors are often a great resource for the youth. A school counselor can report the abuse happening to you, and possibly have a social worker come for an investigation. It may also help to be able to talk about this with someone and get some support. In the meantime, if you feel unsafe, please call the police. It is understandable for you to feel hesitant and fearful about doing this, but you deserve to be in a safe place.

As for living with your brother, we are not legal experts so we cannot advise you about what to do. However, if you leave home without permission, you might be reported as a runaway and returned home. Your brother could also be charged for harboring a runaway. On the other hand, your mother may give you permission to live with another family (i.e friend or relative), but without getting an official document from the court she would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that she can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with her once again. So that can be an option for you if you feel like your mother might respond well to you living someplace else. If you would like to talk to her about this and feel you need additional support, we offer conference calls between youth and parents and can be on the line with both of you while you speak with her.

Opening up about abuse takes courage, and you are clearly a brave person. We are glad you reached out to us, and we want to help in any way possible. If you would like to further talk about your situation, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available 24/7 and are here to listen.

Thank you,

The National Runaway Safeline

hello, i’m am 16 and i currently live in louisiana before the school year started i was in texas and before that i was living in louisiana, i’ve moved so much. Lately and for a while now or since i’ve moved back here i haven’t been happy i’ve been very emotional, upset and not happy. When my parents ask how i am doing i try to stay positive but i can’t act anymore i am turning 17 in may and i am interested in moving to texas and living with my best friend and her family the only problem is i don’t think my parent would agree to that and i don’t think it is legally and if it did work and i made it to texas and started school back at my old school they may not allow me to join the school know i was not living with a gardian. What should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod5
                                ccsmod5 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Hey,
                                Thanks for reaching out. It must be difficult to move around so much and that sort of situation can definitely take a toll on your well being. It sounds like you want to go back to Texas to stay with a friend but you’re not sure what that would look like. We’re not legal experts, but we can try to help as much as we can.
                                Since you are a minor, you would need your parents’ permission to leave home and stay with your friend. If you can get their permission, there would be no issue living with the friend. Similarly, if your parents can confirm with your school that it’s okay for you to be there, then there should be no issue in that respect either. If you leave without permission, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report and if the police are able to locate you they will return you home. Another option you might consider is asking your friend’s parents to reach out to your parents to invite you to stay. Sometimes adults find other adults a bit easier to talk to.
                                You mention that when your parents ask you about how you’re doing, you try to stay positive. It sounds like you’re considerate of how they might feel and it can be hard to share what’s been going on in your head. While it’s certainly up to you, it might not hurt to talk to your parents about your concerns. It sounds like they do want to know how you feel since they have asked. We know it could be a tough conversation to have, so it might be helpful to have another adult there like a therapist or a guidance counselor. Here at NRS, we also offer a conference calling service and can help you have that conversation as well. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime at 1-800-786-2929.
                                As you figure out your next steps, we encourage you to take care of yourself as much as you can. That looks different for everyone, but you might consider reading, journaling, making art, exercising, playing sports or games, talking with friends—whatever makes you feel most safe and comfortable. It can also be helpful to talk to a therapist or a guidance counselor about how you’ve been feeling. We are also available 24/7 to listen and help as much as we can.
                                Thank you again for reaching out. It sounds like things are difficult right now, but we hope you found this helpful. Please feel free to provide your honest feedback at the link below. We wish you the best of luck!
                            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            x
                            Working...
                            X