Leaving home at 17 in Louisiana

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving home at 17 in Louisiana

I have done a lot of research in the past couple of weeks and I have found so much conflicting information. I have a lot of problems at home and I wish to leave. I live with my mother and I have a part time job. My mom is very very mentally abusing to me and she tells me every day that she hates me and I'm worth nothing and calls me terrible names. She's told me on more than one account that the only reason she lets me stay with her is because she needs the child support from my father. This hurts me deeply because I have always loved my mother but she has never had an intrest in me or getting close to me. I wanna move out and get a place of my own. I have a job and am saving money. Getting an emancapation is not really an option for me. Basically, I need to know if I could get in trouble if I move away from home and stay with a friend when I'm 17. I read lots of cases where the police could not bring me back home if my mom called them knowing where I was at and knowing that I was safe. Is this true? And I don't wanna get my friend in trouble. Dx I just want out.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have done a lot of research in the past couple of weeks and I have found so much conflicting information. I have a lot of problems at home and I wish to leave. I live with my mother and I have a part time job. My mom is very very mentally abusing to me and she tells me every day that she hates me and I'm worth nothing and calls me terrible names. She's told me on more than one account that the only reason she lets me stay with her is because she needs the child support from my father. This hurts me deeply because I have always loved my mother but she has never had an intrest in me or getting close to me. I wanna move out and get a place of my own. I have a job and am saving money. Getting an emancapation is not really an option for me. Basically, I need to know if I could get in trouble if I move away from home and stay with a friend when I'm 17. I read lots of cases where the police could not bring me back home if my mom called them knowing where I was at and knowing that I was safe. Is this true? And I don't wanna get my friend in trouble. Dx I just want out.

Hi,
    Thanks for contacting our NRS bulletin board.
    We are sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time at home with your mom
    Experiencing any kind of an abusive situation can be very draining and stressful.
    How are you doing?
    You don’t deserve to be treated in such an unkind manner.
    Words can be very hurtful especially when they come from someone so close to you.
    We hope you can stay strong and realize how important you are as a person.
    It sounds like your mother may have some issues of her own but that is no excuse for her to be cruel to you in return. With all that you have been suffering with you made the statement that you have always loved your mother and still do.
    That’s really open of you.
    It speaks loudly about your feelings and character.
    It’s seems you are trying to keep a positive attitude.
    Good for you.
    We hope that you have established an emotional support base.
    By support base we mean a friend, family member or counselor.
    If you don’t have anyone like that you can contact our 1-800-Runaway 24hr crisis line and we can try to assist you with some referrals.
    Would that be something you might consider?
    Okay so let’s go over some of your other concerns. You would like to leave home; you’re 17 with a job and some savings. It sounds like you are concerned about leaving and having your mom report you as a runaway to the police resulting in you being brought back home.
    You seem to be under the notion that if she knew where you were and that you are safe you could not be taken back home.
    Is that correct?
    At NRS we cannot be sure of the exact legalities for your situation.
    We can only tell you that the majority age in Louisiana is 18 years of age.
    It may be best to contact your local law enforcement or legal aid office for direct information as it pertains to your situation. The same may be said concerning any legal consequences someone may face by letting you stay with them without parental consent.
    We are sorry we can’t be more specific than that.
    Please remember you can call the 1-800-Runaway 24 hr crisis hotline to go discuss your situation and maybe get some referral options.
    We hope things will start to improve for you and we appreciate you posting to our bulletin board.
    Take Care,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-29-2011, 01:05 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm 17 and I left home in June a few weeks after I turned 17. I had a very good reason to leave I'm NOT just trying to "act" grown like everyone thinks I am and all the other teenagers that leave home. Well long story short since I know you probably don't want to read so much when I left home my mom threw a complete fit on getting me back home by tracking my phone, dragging all my friends into it, and everyone else in town. I was found the next day because of someone who called saying I came by their house and that's where my mom showed up and so did a cop. I also left with my boyfriend I know it was kind of a bad deision but I was so desperate to get out of my house.. My mom puts so much stress on me and I am a senior in high school trying to graduate but I can't with her on my back! I'm tired of being completely controlled and manipulated. I know she wants what is best for me but all her crap is because I wanted to date someone she didn't like so she's been giving me hell for the past three years. I need to know what the rules are I'm determined to get out of here! I also live in Louisiana. The cop told me I was going to be sent to a juvenile hall or jail or I could go home with my mom so I went home.. I don't know what else to do. Please help!!

Comment

Thank you for reaching out and telling us your story. It sounds like you have a lot going on right now and it was very brave of you to contact us. We know that it is sometimes hard to reach out and ask for assistance; we are glad you have chosen us.

It sounds like you want to leave home because of the relationship you have with your mom. We are sorry to hear that she has been controlling and manipulating you. You said that you weren’t leaving to act grown; could you please tell us more about the situation and why you want to leave? It sounds like you tried to leave once before but your mom was able to find you because someone contacted her. That must have been very frustrating for you.

It sounds like school is very important to you. Have you been able to continue attending since leaving home? Does anyone at school know what is going on?

You said that the police told you that you would go to jail or juvenile detention if you were to leave home again. Unfortunately, we aren’t legally trained here so we can’t tell you for sure what would happen. Generally speaking though, running away isn’t illegal but it is a status offense; a status offense is something you can’t do if you are under the age of 18. Have you left with your boyfriend already?

If you would like to talk more about what is going on and explore what options are available to you, please give us a call. We are completely confidential and anonymous but we can try to find some resources such as shelter or legal aid. We can also try to call those places with you if you would like us too. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We also have chat services that are available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST) and you can access that through our website (http://www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Moving out at 17

Okay. I am 17 years of age and i would like to ask you a few questions. I live in Louisiana and i was wondering if i could leave. I know a lot contributes to the answer so i will give you a little information. My family tells me they hate me, that they would be better off without me around, and that "they brought me into this world and they can take me out". I was in a bit of trouble the other day and i was beat. I have welps on my body but i only took a picture of one to show my boyfriend. The only one i trust with this information. Before my boyfriend was forced to leave, he watched my dad push and sling me like a rag doll. Then he watched him choke me and threaten me. This has happened many times before but unfourtunatly, this time it happened in front of others. My father tells me that he is allowed to do this because he is my legal guardian... Is this true? Can he do things like this to me? Because if ge an ill just take it until in 17. If this helps, ive been beaten by my brother as well. He has given my bruises and black eyes out of hate, but i was forced to forgive him because he "loves me" and is my "family". Now, if you ever ane to examine my household or came to ask questions, we would seem like the perfect family. We put in a front. But the people who stick around long enought find out. And i know yall would never believe the child if i went to the cops. Who ever believes the child? Who ever believes the childs boyfriend that would "lie" for her? Yeah, i get it. Thats why i came here. Im tired. Very very tired. I really need your help. Im not allowed to get a job intil i drive. And they wont allow me to get my license. So i am officially stuck. Just please please please help me.

Comment

We think it’s really great that you have contacted us and told us about what’s going on at home. It sounds like you are in a very dangerous and unsafe situation right now; we are very sorry to hear that. Nobody deserves to be hit or to feel unsafe while at home. It also sounds like your dad has told you that he has the right to hit you since he is your legal guardian; while your dad is responsible for you legally, he doesn’t have the right to hit you or hurt you in any other way. It sounds like your boyfriend has witnessed him hitting you and that you have some concerns about people “believing” you if you were to make a report. You have the right to feel safe at home and you can call Child Protective Services to file a report with them; what they should do is investigate what you tell them and make sure that you are safe at home. If this is something you are interested in exploring, you can give us a call here and we can definitely help you out with that.

It sounds like you are thinking of leaving home because of how you are treated there. If you were to leave, do you know where you would go to stay safe? Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we aren’t legally trained so we can’t say for sure what would happen if you were to leave home but we can try to help you find a shelter or other safe place for you to go. We can also help you make calls to shelters or other agencies to find out if the program has space and what the rules or expectations are. Again, we aren’t legally trained so we can’t say for sure what would happen but we may be able to give you a general idea of what might happen. We can also try to help you find other resources that may be able to give you some concrete answers. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our online chat services from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week if you would like to explore what options may be available to you.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

Comment

17 Years old, can I move out of my home and in with my best friend and her parents?

I am 17 years old and I live in Louisiana. I am very unhappy living at home and I would like to know, or be given resources to help me know if I can Leave home without my Mother's consent. What's also Killin' me is the School I attend. While Bullying isn't a huge problem where I live, it still exists. Especially toward homosexuals, such as I. I am very mentally unstable right now, my mind is in a million places at once. I am not Physically abused or anything. I suppose it's just the stress of being the eldest child in the house. I am put on a pedestal for every small occasion. I am made to Clean the house or help with technological mishaps. It is I that helps everyone around the house with anything they require. Whether it be illegally downloading torrented software for my mother, or writing essays for my younger brother. I am asked to do all these things and as a reward I am bashed for my sexuality or my religious beliefs. I am made fun of for having a very dark past and told to kill myself by my Younger(9 year-old!!)brother on a near daily basis. I turn 18 in December and am very curious about moving in with my best friend and her parents. She is 16 and is in College. She was Home schooled and and is living a very happy life. I visit her and her family very often and I know that my life would be much better and happier if I were there. Her mother is a Retired Teacher and a certified Home school teacher. there are a few things I am concerned about, however.

1)I was told by a few people that at the age of 17 if I leave home and my mother reports me as a runaway, she can call the police to return me home. But if I were to do it again she wouldn't be allowed to contact the police to retrieve me. Is this true?

2)I want to avoid court or Legal processes as much as possible. Is there a way (at all) to avoid court and move in with said Best friend? OR would I have to go to court with both parents to do so.

3)If I was to leave home and go to my friend's house, and my mother calls the police to retrieve me, and they indeed do find me, would my Best friend's Family be charged for harboring a runaway?

4)I would much rather not talk to my mother about this. She tends to Drop a few F-bombs when she's upset, along with all the other sailor words in the ocean. Is it possible to proceed with the solution to #2 while holding out on telling her for as long as possible?

and last but not least, 5) I would much rather not go towards this way, but My mother has already been charged with Possession of drugs when I was ~11 years old. He and her husband were both arrested and me, my older sister, my younger sister and my younger brother were sent to Separate homes. My mother was released soon after and a year later she got full custody of me back. Is there any way for me to use this previous offence against her to support my leaving home? Would I be able to choose the household I were to live in, assuming it were actually livable and up to the standards of the Louisiana courts? Or would I be forced into either a Foster home or my Biological father's in Dallas If I was legally allowed to leave.

Thank you for your time.

Comment

re: 17 Years old, can I move out of my home and in with my best friend and her parent

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing your story with us. It certainly sounds like you are going through a lot right now with your family. It sounds like you're under a ton of pressure and that your parents aren't treating you with much respect. That can't be easy. It was smart of you to reach out for some guidance, so let's see how we can help you out.

The law can be tricky to understand, so we're glad that you reached out with your questions. We aren't legal experts, but we can speak generally as to the law. You asked some good questions here.

1. It doesn't matter how many times you run, your mom has the right to file a runaway report with the police each and every time that you leave home without her permission. Every time that you leave, the police could force you back home. The closer you get to 18, the less likely the police are to return you, however. This would depend on your local police department. You can always call your local police department confidentially to ask them how they would respond to a 17 year old who left home without their parent's permission.

2. It's understandable that you would want to avoid court. There is one way that could be an option for you, however. It's a process called emancipation. If the court says that you are emancipated, then you would be able to live where you want and you would be responsible for yourself. It does often include the consent of at least one guardian. If you want more information on that, you can contact Legal Services at 318-352-7220 and ask them questions about emancipation in Louisiana. They are open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm.

3. So if you are found at your friend's house, then, yes, your mom has the right to charge the person that you are staying with (your friend's parents) with harboring a runaway. That charge would be up to your mom. The consequences for harboring a runaway range from fines to jail time. It sometimes would depend on whether or not your friend's parents have been in trouble with the law before.

4. We're not very familiar with the emancipation process and when you would need to get your mom involved. But contacting the legal aid resources in #2 might be a good place to ask that question.

5. You always have the right to file an abuse report with child protective services (CPS). There is no guarantee if it would help you leave or not, but it might be helpful. If you are able to get emancipated, you would be able to decide where you want to live. If you make an abuse report with CPS and then CPS removes you from your home, then CPS could place you with your dad, in foster care or in a group home.

We hope that this information is helpful to you. You certainly deserve the best. If you have any questions about anything at all that we talked about, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can also talk through options and resources that are available to you. If you can't call in, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

17 Years old, can I move out of my home and in with my best friend and her parents?

It's me again. I really appreciate the timely reply. I humbly thank you.

But I actually have come up with a few more questions to add on to the list from my last reply.

1)If I was to be emancipated, given at least one parent is required to be aware of it and approve, would that have to be the parent with Custody? Is special permission given to the parent with full custody? If they were to refuse the emancipation and my father was to accept it, would he be overruled?

2)Does Emancipation require a job AND my own home/apartment that I pay for? If not, would a job with minimum wage be sufficient for Emancipation? If denied, would I be able to retry?

3)Would I be able to move in with my friend and her parents, and is it at all possible to have them become legal Guardians?

4)Would I require a vehicle that I own and purchased in my name?

5)If I was to be emancipated, would I need to Make sure all the conditions of the Emancipation was met at all times, such as having a job and being capable of caring for and living on my own?

Thank you again. I am sorry for not using the number you gave me. I have it saved, so I will be sure to use it tomorrow when the line is open for calling.

I really appreciate everything you all do for me and other troubled teens/parents looking for help.

Comment

RE: Leaving home at 17 in Louisiana

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us again. It is really responsible of you to do research, and we are glad that you contacted us. We are not legal experts, so we can only give you a general idea of how things work. If you are seriously considering emancipation or having your friend's parents challenge your parents for custody, you might want to consider talking with a lawyer. We can help you find a legal aid resource in your area that might be able to help you out. Every state has different laws about emancipation and custody, and every judge is different. In some cases your parents must acquiesce to your emancipation. In general, emancipation requires that you prove to a judge that you are capable of taking care of your financial, educational, and social needs without any support from a guardian. A legal professional will be able to tell you more specifics and help you make your case. For further help and support, please call us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) 24/7, or chat with us on www.1800RUNAWAY.org every day between 4:30-11:30pm. We can discuss your situation in further detail and provide you with any resources that might be helpful in your area over the phone or on chat. We are looking forward to hearing from you, and wish you the best of luck!

NRS

Comment

hi i also need to know if i can leave my parents house. i will be turning 17 in october and i want to get out of there. the only reason i stay is because of my 2 younger brothers.i just cant take it anymore.

Comment

Hello,
                        Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
                        It sounds like you are seeking information in regards to the legal age a youth can move out of their parents home. In most states the majority age to be considered an adult is eighteen but you might consider contacting the non-emergency number of your local police department or legal aid services for more specific information.
                        We can appreciate your concern for younger siblings it's admirable that you are thinking of them before yourself.

We would like to hear more about your situation and give you an opportunity to express your feelings.
                        Whatever it might be that you are experiencing at home NRS wants you to know we are here to listen here to help, if you would like to get more information, discuss options or get referrals for services in your area please call our 24hr crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929). NRS also has a option to live chat via our website www.1800Runaway.org the NRS live chat option is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week.

Thank you again for reaching out to NRS.
                        Take Care,
                        NRS

Comment

in louisiana how does the emancipatoin process work

i live in louisiana with my mom and stepdad im 16 i will graduate this summer although there is not much physical abuse going on just a slap in the face every now and then usally when my dad is not around but my brothers have seen it there is emotional abuse towards me like my mom saying im evil and ive been that way since i was born

i was abused by my bio dad when i was four and i think she blames me

she calls me a bi**h and says i should have died when i had the chance i want to move out so i dont have to deal with it any more i turn 17 in three months but im afraid that if i leave she will turn to to one of my brothersshe doesnt work she stays at home all day and sleeps then fusses when i get home from school about the house being dirty im just over it i would like to avoid court if i can it brings back bad memories

is there any thing yhu could do to help me

Comment

RE: in louisiana how does the emancipatoin process work

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It was brave of you to share what is going on at home. It sounds like there is definite emotional abuse going on at home, which you do NOT deserve in any way. We're sorry to hear you're going through this. Have you ever considered telling someone about the abuse?

Unfortunately, we're not legal experts here at NRS, so we can't give you a ton of information on emancipation, but here is some general information: It is a legal process, which would involve a judge or a court declaring you emancipated. You must be at least 16 to be emancipated in Louisiana. In many states, you must also be able to prove that you can care for yourself financially. If you'd like to find out more about emancipation or start the process, you can contact legal services. Here are two legal aid resources in the state of Louisiana:

KISATCHIE LEGAL SERVICES
                            Phone number: 318-352-7220

NEW ORLEANS LEGAL ASSISTANCE
                            Phone number: 504-340-1381

It sounds like you want to avoid court, however. It also sounds like you're close to age 17. In some areas, police won't pursue a 17 year old runaway. You can find out how they'd respond in your area by calling your local non-emergency number and asking.

We're here to listen and to help in any way we can. If you'd like to talk through these or other options, please feel free to call us. We're available 24/7 at the number below. We wish you the best of luck.

Comment

My girlfriend is 17 can she run away to my house

In Louisiana state law can my girlfriend (who is a senior in high school) leave her home and runaway to my house and my parent allowing it so she can stay? She is 17 and turns 18 in February of next year? Can the local law enforcement bring her back home legally and if so what would happen to the offenders who let her stay? For such a question she has trouble at home with abuse nature but no hitting or cursing. If she is to leave home she already has things at my home and a safe harbor area. If she so chooses to do so her parents would cut all college and keep all of things which under the law if I'm correct if it is a gift it legally is yours in letter of the law. I am 17 and in Louisiana.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X