No announcement yet.

What Can They Do?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Can They Do?

    Im 17, live in Massachusetts and am sick of my house. I have never liked or gotten along with my family and its only gotten worse with age. I'm not very big, my little sister(age14) is bigger than me, so she and my brother can easily hit and harm me, and they do. My mom CONSTANTLY yells, i laughed the other day at a funny text my friend sent me, and she told me to "shut the ******** up you **********." And my dad(who has recently moved out again) now is constantly trying to make me feel guilty that i dont visit him. He makes plans involving me without telling me, then gets mad and tries to guilt-trip me when i don't show(usually because i am at work or doing previously made plans by me). He lies to me, and always tells me how disappointed in me he is because i won't go visit his horrid family in new york. When my parents originally filed for divorce around 8 years ago, my mom filed under emotional and mental abuse from my dad, and now that i am older, i definitely realize how much he does that to me.

    So overall, i hate my house. I won't be 18 till July, but i want to leave as soon as i graduate in May if not sooner. I already have a nice, safe place to go but it is in another state(california). If i just leave in May, is there anything my parents can do? I was thinking of filing for emancipation, but i doubt my parents would sign the papers.

  • #2
    RE: What Can They Do?


    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation and we are sorry to hear about the things you have been experiencing. It seems that you have been dealing with a lot of family problems and is tired of it. Regardless of the circumstances, nobody deserves to be abused (emotionally, verbally, mentally, or physically). Are you receiving any emotional support? Have you been able to talk to anyone about what has been going on? If you need a listening ear or counseling resources, please feel free to give us a call.

    Running away is not illegal. However if 18 is the age of majority in your state, your parents may still be entitled to file a runaway report. Runaway reports are filed with the local police department and then entered into a national law enforcement database. Generally speaking, if a youth come into contact with the police and it is determined that the youth is a runaway, parents are contacted and arrangements for youth’s return home are made. You may also be able to contact your local nonemergency police hotline to determine if a report will be accepted since in May you’ll be 2 months away from turning 18. Also the process of emancipation varies from state to state and sometimes it is not required for the parents to sign off on it and the decision is solely that of the judge.

    If you want additional information on emancipation, you can contact a legal aid organization. We have provided two for your convenience: Greater Boston Legal Services, (617) 371-1234 and Southern Massachusetts Legal Assistance, (508 ) 586-2110. You may also give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) for additional resources. Our hotline is toll-free, confidential, anonymous, and available 24 hours 7 days.

    Best Wishes
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp