X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you are a runaway from CPS and your mom. We cared about your safety, and we want to make sure that you’re okay. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor, meaning your mom can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some charges for harboring a runaway. An option you can explore would be to wait until you’re of legal age, and talk to your parents then about wanting to move out on your own. With you being 17, it is a gray area since you’re still a minor, you may want to consider reaching out to your local non-emergency phone number, and inquire about runaway laws in your area.

If there is physical abuse going on in the home, you guys can report it over the phone by contacting the national Child Abuse hotline at 1800) 422-4453. Someone will contact you within 48 hours after filing the report. In the same way, if you ever want to talk to someone like a counselor about what you are going through, you have options. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1800) 950-6264 and speak with a counselor.

We hope that these options can be of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can call us 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!

Guest replied

Im at 17 currently left home and is on the run from cps and my mom . Can I legally leave to be on own .

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe, NRS

Guest replied
    i saw on here that you guys offer to call non emergency numbers for us if we are too afraid?? and that you could help us come up with a list of questions for them? how could we do that, should i call you guys’ hotline??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hello!
    Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It was really brave for you to reach out to us. Your situation sounds difficult and you most certainly do not deserve to be treated this way. The abuse you are receiving is never okay. If you ever feel like you are in direct danger you can call 911. In regards to the abuse you are receiving you can reach out to Child Help. They deal with situations like your own. You can contact them at 1800-422-4453 or go to childhelp.org to utilize their chatting option.
    We know that you have been through quite a bit. Speaking to someone from NAMI might also be helpful if you feel comfortable reaching out. They are the National Alliance on Mental Illness. They can help talk to you about how you are feeling and give you other resources to look into. You call them at 1800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741.
    As for your question about if you will be forced to return home, we cannot say for sure. Since you are so close to 18 it is a gray area. Some police might not make you go back home and others may make you. You can always call in to your local police station anonymously and see what they say.
    If you have any further questions or would like to continue to talk to us you can call us at 1800-786-2929 or message us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org We are available 24/7 and are confidential.
    Stay safe,
    National Runaway Safeline

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I am 17 years old and I recently ran away from home here in California, my mother is a very emotionally and physically abusive towards me , I do not feel safe at home , we recently got into an argument and she physically attacked me and told me to leave , I then left the house with my belongings and went to a place I know I am safe in, my mother reported me as a runaway , I am graduated from high school and soon to be 18 in less than 8 months will I be forced to return home to an abusive environment?.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are in a tough situation and may be looking for some options to explore.
    It sounds like you are feeling frustrated and not sure about what to do. We understand. You are very brave for reaching out. Good for you.
    NRS would like you to know we are here to support you at this difficult time.
    NRS is here to listen and here to help. We would be glad to listen and talk with you about your situation. If you would like to speak with us about what’s going on or about how we might help, please contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) orwww.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of. We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi
    I have been thinking about running away from my house. I do not live with my parents, I live with my guardians (not legal) but the situation is the same on both houses. I do not feel safe, I constantly feel ignored and emotionally and verbally abused. I am 16 and live in California and do not know what exactly to do. I am scared of what they might do if they find out I want to run away and I have nowhere to go. I thought a lot about emancipation but they will never allow me to do it and even asking will make things worse for me. I don’t know what to do. If I do runaway where can I go? What if I do not have a safe place to go to? Can I apply for emancipation without my parent’s permission? I don’t have a way to financially support myself because I have never been allow to work can that be a problem? My guardians constantly threaten of sending me back with my parents where the situation is worse but is closer to the border. I can probably find someone in Mexico that will be willing to help me, would it be worse if I do that? I really, really do not know what to do but I know I cannot take it anymore. I hoped for a really long time someone would do something but I cannot wait any longer I have to do something myself now. Please Help Me, Please.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-03-2020, 04:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don't deserve to be abused in any way. It is not your fault.
    You have the right to want to be treated fairly.

As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It sounds like you want to know some information on runaway laws. Okay.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to report any abuse contact: Child help USA 1-800-422-4453

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 years old I have been thinking about running away for a very long time but I’m scared of what my mom will do, she’s only mentally abusive towards me rarely physical and honestly I can’t take it anymore I have a safe place to stay where I’ll be provided with food and water they are practically family but doesn’t talk to mines unless they come over to see me and say hi, but is it illegal to leave at my age and if I get caught will I be in big trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. You should be able to feel safe and secure in your own home. Your stepdad's behavior is absolutely unacceptable and you don't deserve that. You are a survivor and are incredibly strong and resilient. It can be really hard to deal with this alone and sometimes it’s helpful to reach out to additional agencies for support. One really great resource for all survivors of sexual assault or abuse is RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network). You can call them any time 24/7 at 1-800-656-4673, or go to www.rainn.org to use their online hotline. RAINN is the National Sexual Assault Hotline and has a lot of services, support and resources that you may find helpful.

It may be beneficial to contact your caseworker directly, or call your local CPS office to get an update on your case. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you (youth shelters, etc.), please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi
    Im 16 years old about to turn 17. For the past 2 years I’ve been molested by my step dad. I told my mom and she disregarded me. So I told an adult I trusted and she had me pack my clothes and took me to my school consoler to make a report. An officer was called and cps, i was in that office for about 5 hours (going through the process) the cps worker came to question my step dad and told me, “hes under developed and he said he wouldnt do it again.” About 4 hours later i received a call from the cps worker telling me I had to go home (i was scared out of my mind to go home because my mom has anger issues and is dangerous) the adult i was with tried everything to have them let me stay with her. A little fact about my mom she is very manipulating when it comes to getting what she wants/needs. So she pulls this story about her parents to make the cps worker feel bad for her and go on her side. Its been 4 days since the cps worker was here and they haven’t notified me about anything. I think they dropped my report. I don’t know what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are sorry that you have gone through a bad situation. We are glad that you have a safe place to stay.
    We are not legal experts but we do have general information on the laws. Because you are a minor whoever you stay with could potentially get in trouble for harboring runaway. Usually that would entail them getting charged with a misdemeanor and/or having to pay a fine. Also if the police do find you the most likely would bring you back home.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and provide support. We wish you the best of luck, stay strong!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 17 and i runaway
    my life at home is just bad...
    So i decided to run away I have a safe place where to stay, at my friends house but i wonder if he can get in trouble because he's already 18 ...
    my dad just doesn't care about anything, he doesn't even enroll me at school and I'm thinking to go to school ...
    But my dad told me if i decide to run away he will get me in trouble and he will get my friend in trouble too...
    I hope can get an answer about what i can do and if he really can get us in trouble
    he doesn't know where i am

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

It sounds like you are giving a lot of thought as you consider running away. It's very smart that you're thinking of these sorts of questions in advance. We don't necessarily know all the answers to your questions, but would like to do as best as we can so that you have as much information available to you as possible.

First, you should know that running away is considered a status offense, which means that if you or your girlfriend's parents file a runaway report you could be detained by police until they release you to your parent(s). Furthermore, it's a little more serious when you talk about helping another minor to cross state lines. Depending on your girlfriend's age, it's possible you could get into some fairly serious legal difficulty if caught, such as abetting a minor. We never tell anyone what to do, but you should at least know that.

We also are not sure if you'd be able to get a job or secure housing at your age in California. Often times there are background checks and employers or landlords might want to contact your parents before they employ or house you. We are not legal experts so we simply cannot say for sure. If you do decide to leave home it's probably a good idea to have personal documentation on you.

Things must be pretty serious for you and your girlfriend to consider running away. We'd like to help out further but would need a bit more information from you. The best way we can do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are open 24/7 and are confidential and totally non-judgmental. We won't tell you what to do but simply try to help as best as we can and provide you support and information. We also have a chat option if you prefer. Simply visit the main page of our website and click on the chat feature. We have a large database of resources, including shelters across the country. So please try to reach out if you can.

We hope this helps. Good luck and please stay safe!

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X