Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Help me.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You are strong and brave to reach out for support, and we’re very glad you did. It sounds like you are feeling overwhelmed and lost with what to do, but we hope to help you as best as we can.
    You mentioned some abuse from a family member and we are concerned about your safety. It must be a frightening thing to experience. You do not deserve to be abused or hurt in any way. Please know that if you ever feel you are in an unsafe place or in danger, you have the right to call 911 for your safety and well-being. You also have the option to contact Child Protective Services at 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) to file an abuse report. You can talk to someone about what's going on and receive some support and guidance to ensure your safety. If you ever needed help with making a report or contacting an agency, we are here to help you with that process. We can definitely talk more with you and explore some options that are best fit for your situation if you would like. Our primary concern is your safety and well-being. It seems like talking with someone may be helpful for you, and we are here to listen.
    We would also like to offer you National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org and Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance at Toll-free: (800) 826-3632 or http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Page...?pagename=home where you may receive some helpful resources for manic-depression.

You do not have to go through this alone. Please reach out soon so that we may help. We hope this helps and wish you well.

Take care,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Re: 17 california run away rights

hi, im 16 and my parents are mentally and verbally abusive. they are also very strict, they dont let me go outside, they dont let me talk to friends, they dont let me have electronics.. ect..
      i want to runaway from oregon to california. i have a safe place to go too. is it illegal? what are my rights?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are going through a really hard time at home. It is brave for you to reach out and talk about what’s been happening with your family. It is never okay for your parents, or any adults, to mentally or verbally abuse you.

Have you talked with anyone close to you about what is going on with your parents? Sometimes it helps a lot to confide in a friend, relative, teacher, or counselor about the situation. And of course, we are here to listen too if you feel like calling us at our confidential hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY).

You mentioned that you are interested in running away from Oregon to California. We want to help you think through this option as much as we can. We aren’t legal experts here, but we can try to weigh-in based on our experience. Because you are under the age of 18 years old, you are most likely still under the legal guardianship of your parents. This means that if you do run away, they have the option of filing a runaway report. It won’t get you into legal trouble, but it will mean that local police may be looking for you, in order to reunite you with your family. There is no saying for sure that your parents would choose to file one of these, but it is just good to know that it is a possibility.

If you think your parents would be okay with you leaving, or at least wouldn’t actively try to bring you back home, you’ll also want to think through a couple of other things. It is good to figure out on the front-end how you will get yourself from your current location to the new one. You’ll want to have enough money saved up for travelling that distance, food, shelter, clothing, etc. You’ll also want to make sure you have enough to get by on when you arrive where you are going. Is the place you are planning to go a safe spot, long-term?

Another option you may want to think through is emancipation, which shifts legal guardianship over you from your parents to yourself. We would be happy to talk through some resources for learning about that process in your state, if you are interested.
        If you want to talk anymore about what we’ve written, please feel free to reach out to us via our hotline or chat-system at www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck to you,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• My girlfriend needs help!!!

Ok so this is a long story and I need advice now, I'm 18 about to be 19 in a month and my girlfriend lives in a mentally and verbally abusive home, she is not allowed to do anything unless she's told and I mean anything go to the bathroom unless she asked eat food unless told to drink water unless she asked not allowed to have a phone not allowed to talk to anyone and she is almost always shunned away from her family I don't know if she's gonna get hit or anything she had a frind give her a phone and her parents found it so now I fear that she is gonna be hurt in some way, she's not happy at all she's behind in school because she was put in a packet school, I'm worried for her well being I mean I want to marry her but I'm not allowed to see her ror the next 321 days I can't do that and I know for a fact she's gonna lose her mind cuz I'm serious they have restricted her from doing everything....please help her I can't see her hurt or sad or in a home like that

Comment

• Re: My girlfriend needs help!!!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry to hear about the mistreatment of your girlfriend. No one deserves to be mistreated in any way for whatever reason. It sounds like you really care about her and its great she has you as a form of support. We are not here to tell you or her what to do but we are here to support you guys in what ways we can. We can also look up resources if you’d like to share the city/state where you and your girlfriend live.

Here at NRS we are not legal experts and we are unsure how old your girlfriend is, but we can speak in general terms. Generally she is an adult when she turn 18. If she was to leave before then, her parents would have the option of filing a runaway report. If a runaway report is filed and she are found by the police they will bring her back home. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense for her. However, if someone was to help her or she was to stay with someone then that person could be charged with harboring a runaway- which is a criminal offense and the severity varies from state to state.

If you would like a more direct answer you can always contact your local police department and ask them in general terms what would happen if she were to leave home without her parents’ permission. If you or she do not feel comfortable doing so you can always contact our hotline and we can make that call for you and speak to the police in general terms. We are sorry that she is going through this period of time and it sounds like it is taking a toll on her mental well-being. It sounds like she is lucky to have you as someone who cares about her.

We are really glad you reached out to us, it sounds like you really care about her. If you would like to talk about her situation in greater detail you can always call us on our hotline or chat with us on our website. If she is able to contact us either on our hotline or chat, we can talk to her more about what option she may have. We can also look up resources if you’d like to share the city/state where you and your girlfriend live. We look forward to hearing from either one of you and we wish you guys the best of luck.

NRS
            Last edited by ccsmod3; 05-12-2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• I'm 17 years old and I live in California

I'd like to know what the consequences of leaving my house are in my city. My parents are very strict on letting me hang out with friends and they don't give me a chance to prove that I am responsible and that I will be safe when I'm going out. I just want to leave my house for the night. My parents are always in control of what I do that I can't ever do anything for myself. If I were to leave for the night and my parents were to call the cops, would I get taken away from my family? Would I get sent to juvenile prison for leaving even though my parents knew where I was going?

Comment

• Re: 17 and I live in California

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It is a great first step to finding the information and help that you may need.

It sounds like you are considering the consequences of leaving home. An important detail is thinking about what your parent’s reaction will be. We are not legal experts here, but typically being under the age of what your state considers to an adult (usually 18 ), you would need permission from your parents to leave. It is not illegal to runaway or leave home without permission, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report. The police would then be required to return you home.However, sometimes being 17 police may not take these reports, may not treat them as severely, or even attempt to search. To get an exact answer of how your local district handles this you can call them via their non-emergency number. You wouldn't have to give any identifying information or any details of your situation. If you feel a littler uncomfortable with this option, you can always call us and we could call on your behalf or with you.

Remember you are not alone! We are here to listen and to help as best as possible.

If there is some way that could try to better support you in anyway. Remember that we are here to listen and help as best as we can. You are not alone!

Stay Strong,
                NRS

Comment

• Concerned about my health

Hi, I just turned 16, I am currently living in South Los Angeles and I am on the run right now. I've been going from group home to group home since I was 9. Lately I've been having major sharp pains around my pelvic area and I am seeking medical help but I am not willing to turn myself in. Where are some places I can go?

Comment

• Re: Concerned about My Health

Hi there,

Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.

Thank you,

NRS

Comment

• Help me

Iam 17 my mom is constantly abusiveing me metally and physically she has d.i.d and one personality has been wanting to hurt me i was wondering if i ran away to my gf houses wat could the law do to me and her parents idk wat to do i need help

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us and sharing about what you’re going through at home with your mom. It sounds like you are in a very difficult situation. You certainly do not deserve to go through abuse. No one has the right to hurt you and home should always feel safe.

It’s good to hear that you feel well supported by your girlfriend. One thing to consider is if you left home is how likely your mom is to report you as a runaway. You mentioned that she has D.I.D. We understand that it can be confusing to live with someone who changes their behavior abruptly. Is there anyone that you feel comfortable talking to about this? Maybe there’s someone familiar with your mom’s disorder who can intervene.

In regards to your question, we’re not legal experts here, but your mom has the option of filing a runaway report with your local police. Running away is usually not a crime, so it’s typically not something you can be charged with, however it would authorize the police to return you home. We can’t say for sure how the police would respond if you told them about the abuse at home, but it’s likely that they may take an abuse report, but we cannot guarantee whether or not they would still return you home. There are some police districts that pursue harboring charges against friends and family who you might be staying with as a runaway.

It sounds like a really hard thing to be going through. You sound very resourceful for finding us and choosing to reach out to us. We would be happy to speak with you about your situation in more detail if you choose to contact us through phone or chat. Our 24 hour number is 1-800-786-2929.

Stay strong,
                        NRS

Comment

• running away

Hi my name is S I am 17 I have a question based on my rights and it's this ... I live in Texas and in Texas the legal age to leave home is 17 and I went on vacation to California with my mother and three little sisters to visit my mom's boyfriend. She has now decided to go back to Texas and leave me with her boyfriend and wants to enroll me in school here and give him guardian ship over me which I am not comfortable with .I want to know if I had the money if I could take a bus back home to Texas and live on my own or have someone get me and not be in trouble or have to return back to California. Thank you so much
                          Last edited by ccsmod2; 07-18-2016, 01:32 AM.

Comment

• re: running away

Hello S,

We're hearing that you have some questions about what you can do legally in order to not have to stay and live with your mom's boyfriend. Those are all really good questions! At this time, though we aren't legal experts so we can't say exactly what you are able to do. Even though you may be considered an adult in your state at 17, it can be hard to find housing to live on your own. So you may want to consider your potential living situations and a back up plan just in case. If your mom does try to pursue guardianship for her bf there in Texas, and you turn 18 before that, there may not be anything they can do. It may be a good idea to reach out to a local legal aid agency to see if they can give you more information.

Take care,
                            NRS

Comment

I am 17 year old girl who wants to move out of my parents house. I have a 4.0 GPA, don't do drugs, and I have a safe, stable place to live. My house is constant chaos and my step-mother is an alcoholic. I am put in charge of watching my little brothers and sisters constantly. If I try to have any sort of life outside of my house I am unable to because my parents make it impossible. They monitor my every move and call me a liar all the time, which I am not. My parents have had CPSS called on them because of the welfare of our house. My dad recently has been physically abusive to me and my step mother is always verbally abusive and when I try to talk to my father about it he backs her up. I cannot take it anymore and it is taking a toll on me emotionally and physically. Can I leave and not get forced to come home? The home I have to go to is STABLE and nuturing. They treat me with respect and talk to me like an adult. I am really a good girl and I am not the type that feels like the parents are out to get me because I am a teenager. I really am in a negative environment and it is dragging me down. Please help!!!!

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. It certainly sounds like you're in a very difficult situation right now, and no one ever deserves to be physically or verbally abused. If you want to report the abuse to the police or to child protective services, you absolutely have that right, and we can help with that process if you give us a call. You can also visit www.childhelp.org for information and resources about abuse and abuse reporting.

Your main question seems to be about the legal issues around moving out as a minor. Now, we aren't legal experts, but the way this usually works in most states is that, while it's not illegal for you to leave, if your father or step-mother file a runaway report, the police will most likely take you back if they pick you up, and any adults you might be living with could be charged with a criminal offense. If you want advice from actual legal experts, we'd be happy to put you in touch with resources in your area, or we could get in touch with your local police department, either with you or on your behalf - it would be totally confidential, and we wouldn't pass along any information you didn't want us to. If that's something you'd be interested in, again, feel free to give us a call!

It definitely sounds like you're taking as much control of your life as you can under the circumstances - excelling at school, finding a safe place to live, and reaching out to us - which is admirable. Abuse takes a toll on anyone, for sure, but it's encouraging that you're finding options and getting help.

Thank you again for contacting us! We're always happy to listen and to help. For an immediate response, or for putting you in touch with any of a number of resources, please call our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929).

We wish you the very best of luck.

- NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X