Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: I am 17

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are glad you contacted us, and we are eager to help as best as we are able to. From what you shared, it sounds like you have been hurt by your foster parents in many ways. We are sorry to hear you have been hurt by them. Nobody deserves to be mistreated or harmed in any way. We are wondering if you considered contacting child protective services to report the abuse that has been occurring. If you would like to learn more about reporting has happened or what the process of reporting looks like, you may contact Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 or visiting www.childhelp.org. It sounds like you have reached a breaking point and feel that leaving is an option you are trying to pursue; however you have some concerns.

Regarding your questions, we are not legal experts so we are unable to provide specific answers but we can speak generally. Because you are under the age of majority which is 18 in most states, you would be considered a runaway minor if you left without your legal guardians’ permission. Your foster parents have the right to file a runaway report which would alert the police that you are missing and they may search for you. Varying situations result in returning a youth back to a guardian, however it is case by case. If you are feeling unsafe at home, it may help to report it to authorities so that the appropriate agencies could be contacted to assist you and ensure your safety. Reporting to the authorities when you are in danger or are being mistreated is your right. Your other question about legal emancipation may be an option, however it entails several specific criteria as well as standing before a judge, proving your case in order for it to be granted. It is often best to seek legal assistance regarding emancipation for specific information and guidance on the matter. We have a database of resources for counseling, legal aid, shelters, and other community agencies that may be beneficial to you if you would like any. We are a phone call or chat away by reaching out to 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800runaway.org.

It is great to hear that you are thinking about your future and overall well-being. It takes great strength to reach out for help, and leaving home is a big decision. Whatever you may decide, we do wish the best for you and hope you are safe. If we can help in any other way, please know that we are here for you 24/7.

Best of luck and take care,

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod6; 08-07-2015, 05:26 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Help

My girlfriend she turns 17 next month and she is having trouble with her family mostly with her mother which she always is mentally abusing her and sometimes physically I'm 18 years old and I want to help her with anything, she said she wants to move with me I would gladly help her but I'm scared of getting in trouble with the police. My parents are fine with her staying with us we love her as a family she just to lived with me when her mother kicked out of the house the first time she left her for 4 month in my house and after that she went to my house starting threading me with the police she said she was gonna call the police because she was living with me. She left her for four month! And she comes back telling that she's gonna put me in jail? What can I do I need to get her out from where she lives I'm from California by the way. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are concerned about your girlfriend living in an abusive home.
        It’s very compassionate of you to want to help her get out of a bad situation.
        She is fortunate to have you and your family in her corner.

You have every right to be concerned legally and your girlfriend has every right to feel and be safe.
        That being said she has the option of filing a child abuse report against her mother with Child Protective Services in her state. You can check with her to see if this is something she might want to do.

To get information about filing an abuse report she can call Child Help USA at: 1-800-422-4453 or she can call our 24hr crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929).

We are available for live chat at www.1800Runaway.org
        By contacting NRS we hope to work with you by exploring options and coming up with a plan.

We commend you for having her best interest in mind and we hope that things will get better for her soon.

Take Care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

17 run away

Hello I am the father of a 17 year old who knows everything and is going to become a Video Game maker without any money or education. He has strait "F" 's and was given a brand new 4x4 truck if he could get A's and B's. I sold the truck. He has a Iphone and Ipad , new clothes a great place to live, a dirt bike, bow and arrows, ect....has it made....the VA will pay for his college and he can become what ever he wants.... He has one chore and that is to do the dishes whcih he never does, he can't even remember to brush his teeth. I got him braces and he started chewing tobacco.....

But yet he tries to convince me that he knows it all......he has consistently got d's and f's for the past 4 years and is now a Jr in High school. I bought him everything he needs, got him a lettermans jacket....he lied about going to gym to workout...he was at a friends playing Xbox....I have bargained with him with money for good grades, a new computer if....he never gets out of the hole.

At this point he wont even recover for a GED meaning the military will not even take him....I cant tell you how many conversations I have had with him about where he is heading....I drug test him......he is clean....

He just HATES doing homework or anything that requires labor.....
          He is on a road to nowhere and there is nothing I can do or say to steer him from this cliff because he knows it all.....

So I will get emancipation papers and kick him out.

Ive tried counseling , therapy, he just tries to convince everyone he has anxiety and cant do homework....but he can play video games 48 hours strait....but he cant work because its too exhausting. Im done with this lazy generation...Im done bay sitting....I am retired and I have better things to do than baby sit for 2 more years.

Signed,
          done with this ungrateful kid dad
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-22-2015, 02:53 AM.

Comment

17 run away

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are quite frustrated with your sons behavior and progress in school.
            Sometimes it’s hard to figure out what one might do to motivate someone that seems to have a different agenda. NRS is here to listen and here to help.
            We understand that some situations can be quite stressful and tense. We hope being able to vent help to ease some of that frustration. You are welcome to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org (live chat) to talk and explore some options.

We see that you have tried counseling but it has not brought satisfaction to the situation. That’s too bad. It sounds like you are considering options for emancipation. if you or your son would like help with information about emancipation in your area NRS has a national data base that allows us to help you find services in your area.
            How does that sound?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
            NRS

Comment

I wannna run away to live with other family members of mine I currently live in new Mexico but I wanna move to California I have already moved out of my moms house and am staying with my older sister ...my mother knows I wanna run away and she's say's I'll call the cops on me if I leave so what can I do and what are the consequences if the cops find me

Comment

Re:

Hey there,

We’re glad you found our online forum and decided to share a bit about your situation. It sounds like you’re seriously considering running away out of state to stay with other family. You mentioned you’ve already moved out of your mom’s house and into your older sister’s home. We aren’t legal experts, but can go over in general what tends to happen. If you’re a minor and you run away/leave home without permission, then it’s possible your parent/guardian will file an abuse report. If that happens and you’re picked up and haven’t committed any other crimes, then usually police will just reunite you with your parent/guardian. If that’s not possible then they might detain the run away until that’s possible or they might find another placement such as an emergency youth shelter. There tends to be a lot of unknowns as far as the outcome of running away unfortunately. If you’d like to talk more, please feel free to try out our Live Chat. Good luck!

Comment

Resources

Hello, I have a friend who is not capable of taking care of any of her children due to addiction. All 3 are with either their friends family, or their other parent. Her daughter is 17 and is tired of being the burden on her friends family, but has no where else to go. She recently ran away and stayed with me for a night. While the friends mom knows where she is and that she is safe, she can't force her to go back "home." But this girl has no parents who will step up and help her. Are there any resources for her to find a job, get money for food and clothes, etc? She is adament that she isn't going back, and her mom uses her as an emotional support, so she feels like she has no where to turn but her school friends hiding her. Thank you for your time....

Comment

re: Resources

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and on behalf of this 17 year old. She is lucky to have you in her life stepping up for her – it’s clear that her parents are unable to care for her. It sounds like you’re looking for information about how to get this young person up on their feet. You’re asking a good question, so let’s see how we can help you out.

Because she is a minor (not legally responsible for herself), she does not qualify for welfare or other public benefits on her own. If her parents are receiving benefits, then she can have access to those, but not on her own. It sounds like her parents are not able to provide for her. She has the right to make a report with the department of children and families to ensure that her basic needs are met. That department would be able to get her hooked up with housing if necessary, but also help the family be able to care for their daughter. They might already be involved – especially if the children are already living apart from their parents – so maybe contacting that social worker could be a good next step.

There are also programs that support young people who don’t have a place to stay. You can check out either www.nationalsafeplace.org or www.homelessshelterdirectory.org. to see if there is a safe place nearby. You can also give us a call (1800-RUNAWAY) or chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) and we can provide you with resources in our database.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Good luck to you,

NRS

Comment

• I am 16 years old almost seventeen, and i have moved out of my dads house to my sisters house. Im not treated for at my dads and he doesnt pay for any of my needs. At first he was okay for me to leave, but now he wants me back and I do not want to go back. In california what are my rights.

Comment

• re: 17 california run away rights

Thank you for reaching out us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems that you are experiencing a difficult situation at home with you dad. It is unfair that you do not feel supported at home with your dad. You deserve to feel safe and supported at home. We are glad that you decided to reach out to us, as we are here to listen and here to help.

For what you shared with us, is sounds that your sister is being very supportive by offering you a place to stay. Although we aren’t legal experts, we can speak generally about your situation. Generally, by being under the age of majority, any type of alternative living arrangement which allows you to live outside of your home would need your parent’s permission. Perhaps you can consider talking to your dad about how you feel. Here at NRS, we offer a conference calling service where you would be able to initiate a conversation between you and your dad to try and talk about what is going on at home and see if there is a way that a compromise could be met, such as allowing you to remain at your sister’s house. We could help mediate that conversation. Sometimes just being able to talk can be a way to open up the lines of communication and see the best way that everyone can compromise. If this is something that you might want to look into, please feel free to reach out to us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

If you would like to talk further about your situation and explore more options, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. You can reach us at our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our live chat service is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST and could be accessed through our website, http://www.1800runaway.org/. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong.

NRS

Comment

• Im 17 About To Be 18 In Less Than 4 Months

I Cant Be Here Any Longer ! This Is Not The First Nor Will It Be The Last Time Im Treated Like This. My Brother Has Threatened My Boyfriend. He Doesnt Want Him Near Me And Hes Talked To My Parents About Him In The Worst Way Making Them Think Wrong About Him. My Boyfriends Mom Knows Me And He Has Asked Me To Go With Him Already Because I Told Him The Situation I Was In. My Parents Wont Listen To Me And Always Believe My Brother. I Have An Older Sister Thats Willing To Take Me In But Doesnt Want Any Problems With The Law. Ive Also Talked To My Aunt And Uncle In San Diego That Are Willing To Take Me In. A Few Weeks Ago I Tried To Commit Suicide For The Reason I Was Tired That My Parents Never Listened To Me And Every Time I Tried To They Never Had Time, They Were Always Too Busy. I Feel Miserable Living Here I Cant Stay Here! If I Run Away Right Now Can They Still Make Me Come Back? Cant I Go With A Relative ?

Comment

• Re: Im 17 About To Be 18 In Less Than 4 Months

It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot, especially the difficult situation with your brother. Reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline is a great first step. It’s also great to hear you have support from both your boyfriend and his mom. We are not legal experts, but until you are 18 your parents can report you as a runaway and have you returned home. However this is only a status offense and does not necessarily apply once you turn 18. If there are any things you can do to cope over the next four months (try to spend more time at school to avoid being at home, talk to a counselor to relieve feelings of stress/anxiety, etc), it might be helpful to write them out as a list of help you get through the next few week. You might consider talking to a counselor at school perhaps and see if your school counselor or a relative can serve to facilitate a conversation between you and your parents or speak to them on her behalf. If you are ever feeling suicidal or like you might harm yourself, there is also the National Suicide Hotline 1.800.273.TALK.

Our hotline at 1.800.786.2929 might also be helpful. We are here 24 hours a day and can discuss some potential options with you. Our chat line is also available every day from 4:30-11:30pm.

Comment

• 17 & helpless

Hi I'm 17 & will be turning 18 in 7 months but I no longer want to live with my parents , we don't have our own home & have been struggling & living in & out of motels for about a year now & instead of saving up money they go out & spend it on alcohol & in clubs while they leave me to babysit , they also don't support me in going to school , I'm currently enrolled in a independent studies school but I only go once a week , I have been talking to my boyfriend whom I've been with for the past 3 years & his family & him have decided they want to help me & want me to go live with them , I really want too but I'm scared my parents will call the police and have me back here again he lives in another city 3 hours from here , I just want to know would the police still be able to take action since I'm almost 18?

Comment

• re: 17 & helpless

Hello,
                                Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have a lot going on and you are now becoming extremely overwhelmed. You are trying to focus on school and that has become very difficult because your parents keeping moving you and your sibling move from motel to motel. It upsets you that instead of saving money to get out of the situation, your parents spend money on alcohol and the club. You want to run away to stay with your boyfriend and his family but your scared of getting into trouble.
                                We are sorry that you are in a very frustrated position. You may want to consider making a report to child protective services just because this case may be seen as neglect because your parents are not meeting you needs. You did say you are turning 18 in which a report may not be taken after you’re 18 but you mentioned babysitting and there is concern for a young family member going through this as well. To get more information about reporting you can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453. We understand how reporting can be a scary thing so we are here to assist you through it if you wish to do so. We can make a three way call with you and the agency if you wish to call us to make a report.
                                You also mentioned running away to live with your boyfriend and his family but you are concern that your parents will contact the police. Something that can be helpful is to call your local police station to see how they take runaway reports at the age of 17. Some police station do not take reports when the youth is 17 so you may be old enough to make that decision. However, some police say you are not allowed to leave until you are 18. If this is the case and you still run away what they will happen if they find you is bring you back to where your parents are. The police may look into why your family is leaving in a motel and may investigate further and notice the neglect.
                                The best case scenario will be to talk with your parents and get their permission to move in a more stable place. This sounds like it will be a tough thing to do but it may be worth trying. If there is anyone else, like a family member or a best friend, that your parents will be most willing to let you live with that may be a better way out of your situation. Another idea, since you are going to be 18 soon you may want to think about waiting a little more so that you don’t have to go through any issues with the police.
                                If you wish to speak more about other options and resources you have around you, please feel free to call us at any time. We are available to take your call 24/7 and can be reach at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us at 1800RUNAWAY.org. We wish you well.
                                Best,
                                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X