Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 16, but its been since i was 9

Hey,

If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Thanks,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    Tell us what you think about your experience!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

mother

My 14 yr old ran away while in cps care and i was notified a week later and cps done nothing to find my child what can i do

Comment

RE: mother

Hello,
        Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation. We are here to help in any way that we can. If there is any way to get in touch with your child’s case worker that can be a good first step. Asking the case worker if a runaway report was made can be helpful. If the case worker did not make a report you can try calling your local police to do so. Another resource that can be helpful is the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, their phone number is 1-800-843-5678. This resource might be able to help you find your child.

We are here 24/7 and can help out in whatever way possible. We have a database of resources that you may find helpful. If you give us a call we can work with you to help you figure out what your next best step is. We hope to hear from you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Good luck!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

17 year old California runaway child

Can someone get in trouble for Harboring a 17 1/2 year old person in there house? Can the police make me go back home if they find me? Is it true that if you call your parents every 24 and tell them that you're safe but not where you are that you can not go back home? I live with an verbally abusive father. And want to know my right before I runaway

Comment

re: 17 year old California runaway child

Hey there,

Thanks for contacting us, you totally don’t need to go through this alone, and we’re glad to help. Any form of abuse is wrong, and you don’t need, nor deserve, that. We’d be glad to help.

If you are a minor in your state, and you are staying at a friend’s house without your parent/guardian’s consent, then that is harboring a runaway and the police may take action. However, depending on a case-by-case basis, what type of action that is is up to the police.
            So every state is different, but overall harboring a runaway is illegal. However, again since all states differ in laws, it is unclear what age for being an adult is in your state. About ‘calling in,’ it is unclear. We are not legal experts here, so can not tell you one way or the other.

It’s best to call us so we can clarify at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We are open 24/7, and more than willing to help. If you can’t call, we do have a chat service to help brainstorm a solution. It’s open 4:30-11:300PM CST on our website (www.1800runaway.org) – the big red button in the top right corner ‘GET HELP, LIVE CHAT.’

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

17 California run away rights

What are some safe places to go to when you are running away from home?

Comment

RE: 17 california run away rights

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are looking for some safe places to go if you were to leave home. We would be more than happy to explore some safe options for you. Perhaps you would be willing to call in and speak to us by dialing 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We have a large database of referrals in which we can provide you some resources to help you stay safe. You can always reach us by live chat every day between the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time by visiting our website at www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best.

-NRS

Comment

I'm 17 in a few months

I'm 17 years old and I have been mentally, emotionally, verbally, psychologically, physically and sexually abused. And I have been recently been kicked out of my home.. I have a girlfriend who I have been with since I was 12 and her family loves me and wants me to move in with them. I will have a stable home with my own room clothes on my back food in my stomach and much more. I have been through so much from the time I was 6 till present day and cannot handle it anymore. I have been told to end my life before it's even truly started and I will not fall victim to the horrible people I call my family so my question is how do I get there legally without causing complications for my siblings and the family that is putting their hands out to reach out and free me from the torment... Please reply to my plea and help me with any advice or just anything.. This was very hard for me to do so please don't take this lightly...

Comment

Re: I'm 17 in a few months

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your story. We hope you recognize that you don’t deserve to be abused or neglected in any way. As a minor, you also do not deserve to be kicked out of your home. If your parents/guardians kicked you out without providing you with a safe place to go, you may be able to file a lockout or neglect report with local police and/or Child Protective Services (CPS.) You also have the right to try and make a report for any abuse you’ve experienced. One resource that might be able to further help you with that is Child Help USA: https://www.childhelp.org/.

It sounds like your girlfriend and her family have gotten you through some extremely difficult times. It sounds like she comes from a very caring family who has offered to take you in and support you as well. However, it is understandable to be concerned with legal complications if you stay there without your parents/guardians permission. We are not legal experts, but we can go over in general what may happen in that instance.

Also, please know we do take concerns of safety (including abuse) seriously. We are not here to tell you what to do, but are here to try and support you to the best of our ability. Whether you would like us to look up legal aid, help you try and file an abuse report, or even try to locate a local runaway/homeless youth shelter if you’ve been kicked out with nowhere to stay, we are here. To continue going over your situation, it may be easier if you can reach out directly either through our Live Chat if you prefer online communication or by calling our hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY. Stay safe and best of luck!

Comment

17 california runaway rights

I just turned 17. i live with only my mom and my sister and it seems as the older i get the more mentally and physically abusive she Is. i have a couple of safe places i can stay and i have a job. What happens if i do leave and show proof of the abuse ?

Comment

Re: california runaway rights

Hey there,

We want to thank you for reaching out to us and allowing us to help support and guide you through this incredibly difficult time. We can only imagine how hard and overwhelming this must be for you, and we are incredibly glad that you’ve chosen us to talk to about all of this. We want you to know that you do have options and that no one deserves to be treated this way.
                        It is great that you have thought of some safe alternatives to your current living situation at home with Mom. It is great to keep these in mind. It is also important to consider other things when planning on leaving home (whether it be long or short term) including how you will transporting yourself there (either shelters or another safe place), how you can communicate, if you can gather some emergency food and clothing prior to the leave, etc.

Knowing your options is incredibly important. It’s always useful to think of people in your life that you trust and feel safe with, and understand how and in what ways they can help you. Different people in our lives can help us with the same situation in different ways. Even people in your community and/or at your school may be able to support you through making tough calls and decisions.

Several things could potentially happen if you were to make an abuse report. We aren’t legal experts, but we can try our best to give you a general idea of some legal outcomes and impacts. If you were to call child protective services of the DCFS (Department of Children and Family Services) and let them know you would like to make an abuse report and was willing to show proof of the abuse, a case would typically be opened for you and several steps would take place thereafter. The more proof that you have and having any witnesses get involved would be helpful, but the outcomes that would follow would are not certain.

Whether or not you would like to make an abuse report or not, we can always look into other temporary options as well. This includes shelters and other legal aid resources. Our lines are open 24/7 at our hotline crisis number at 1(800)RUNAWAY (786-2929), so please don’t hesitate to give us a call if these are things that you would like to look into.

Again, we can only imagine how hard this must be for you, and we really hope that this has been helpful in some way. We want to wish you the best of luck through this time in your life.

Take care,

Comment

runn away

Hello, I am 13 years old and my brother,12years old and sister,14 years old, would like to run away from our foster home, we don't want to be here anymore. Will we get in trouble?

Comment

RE: runn away

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like home is not where you want to be, and we are sorry to hear that. Here at NRS we are not here to tell you what to do or give you advice. You are the only ones that can make this decision. We are also not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms what would happen if you decided to leave without your legal guardian’s permission.

Generally the age of majority in the US is 18. If you decided to leave before then, then your legal guardian would be able to file a runaway report with the police. If your legal guardian was to file one, and you are found, then you are just brought back home to your legal guardians. Running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This is similar to a minor skipping school. However, where it can become criminal is anyone that you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway by your legal guardian or the police.

Another option you have is to contact your caseworker. Maybe she can help get you guys another placement or one that is better suited for you three. You guys deserve to be in a home where you want to be and can call home. We are so sorry to hear that you do not feel this way about where you are currently living.

We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can always call us on our hotline or chat with us during out chat hours. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS

Comment

tryinh to help a friend

I am trying to write to find out a lil information about teen runaways. I have a friend that will be 17 in august and is currently on probation in solano county. She lives in a house with a father who tends to drink and become verbally and physicaly abusive. She wants to move in with a friend but is afraid of the repercussions. Her probation officer has required to live with her father and she has told them plenty of times that she does not want to move in with him. Their option is stay with the dad or go to a group home which she does not want to do at all. I have made police reports on her behalf but due to it being only verbally abuse they can do no actions to the father. I am just lost in what to do or how to help. Please someone tell me what to do

Comment

RE: trynh help a friend

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. By contacting us, we can tell how important your friend is to you. Your friend is very brave for staying strong in her situation, and she is also very lucky to have a friend like you.

It’s unfortunate your friend is going through any sort of abuse at home, including verbal abuse. No one has a right to hurt another physically or verbally, so we are glad you advocated for your friend by making reports on her behalf. Has your friend ever talked to you about making a report herself? Even if nothing has happened from past reports, making a report any time abuse has occurred will show a record of how often it happens. If your friend would like to make a report, or even just talk about making a report, she can always call in to us confidentially and anonymously at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We are not legal expert but we can speak in general terms. It sounds like your friend may already know this, but if she runs away to a friend’s place without her dad’s permission, the person letting her stay could get in trouble with what’s called ‘harboring a runaway.’. If your friend does decide to leave home, we would rather have her safe and off the street in a shelter (which we could look up if she wanted). Whatever your friend decides to do, we are here to advocate for her and want to make sure she is staying safe.

Again, we appreciate you looking out for your friend. Even when we can’t actively help our friends, we can support them and be a listening ear when they need it. There are people here at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, if you or your friend ever need to call.

Best,
                                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X