17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help

I'm 17 turning 18 in November I'm graduated from high school and in college with a job recently my mom has been trying to force me to quit my job so I won't have any money to leave when I am 18 she is abusive and I need to get out of here if I run away is it legal for her to go to my job to get me And drag me back home. Please help I need to leave

Comment

Re: 17 california run away rights

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing a bit about your situation. It sounds like you are dealing with a tough situation at home, especially in regards to your mom. You mentioned that you have graduated, have a job, and you will be 18 in November but it has gotten to the point that you would like to leave home now. It definitely sounds frustrating and we are sorry to hear you are going through all of this. It sounds like your main concern is what would happen if you did leave. In most states the age of majority, when you are considered an adult and can leave home, is 18. But 17 is always a bit tricky, especially when you are so close to being 18 the police may not do a whole lot. It's a possibility that they may take a report but sometimes they may say they cannot force a youth to go home if they are so close to being 18. Usually the best way to get the most accurate information for your area is to just call your local police and ask some questions. It may also be helpful to try and reach out to some legal resources to see what your options are.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here: http://www.nrschat.org:88/chat/UserP...&d=&u=&bypass=

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

help please

I'm a 13 year old girl. My mother is verbally abusive and I've self harmed from sadness. I want to run away with my boyfriend out of California. He lives out of state. I want to run away and go live with him but I don't know what would happen and I'm afraid he may go to jail of I go there. Someone tell me please if I can run away there without him getting in trouble

Comment

17 california run away rights- Help Please

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
          We are sorry to hear that you are going through what sounds like a very troubling situation.
          You don't deserve to be abused or mistreated we understand how stressful you must feel.
          Sometimes having a positive outlet can help in providing some escape from the negative things that might be going on. It can be helpful to have the support of other family members or friends as well.
          Is there someone you can go to and speak with in confidence?
          Running away is something you said you have been thinking about.
          It sounds like you have a boyfriend you are considering running away with but there are questions about him getting into legal trouble if you were to do so.
          Good question. It's good that you are thinking things through.

Because NRS is not a expert in legal matters we can't advise you on what legal trouble your boyfriend might face by helping you to runaway. Each state has their own laws in regards to run away youth and anyone aiding or harboring a runaway. One way you might get this information is to contact your local police department non emergency number as to inquire just what the law is when it comes to run away youth.

We understand that running away may seem like a good option but we hope you will consider the pros and cons of doing so. You and your safety are important.

You did a good thing by reaching out to NRS tonight. It would appear that in times of crisis you have practiced self harm. Do you feel a sense of relief from doing this? We understand the emotional strain you must be under but we hope that you might consider some other options to help you through your periods of sadness. What would you think about family or individual counseling?
          This might be an outlet for you and your mom to work through whatever communication problems that exist.

NRS has a 24hr crisis line 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) that is available to you if you feel that you would like to have someone to listen and talk with about your and situation.
          You can also visit our website and use NRS live chat service.
          NRS live chat is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week.
          We can assist you in locating some information and possible referrals in your area.
          How does that sound?

We hope that reaching out to NRS has been helpful to you and we wish you the best for a positive outcome.
          Thanks and take care,
          NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Im 15 years old and i want to runaway with my boyfriend and his family. I have been with my boyfriend for three years and i talked to him about whats going on and he talked with his family about it and they are willing to help me and let me stay at their place. My boyfriend is 18 years old and is currently looking for a job so we can find a place to stay for our selves. My mom and dad separated since i was 3 or 4 years old. I lived with my mom and my brother and i visited my dad on weekends. In October of 2012 my mom got deported so i have been living with my dad ever since. It's very hard on me because i miss my mom and it's difficult growing up without her helping me physically through everything. My dad abuses me verbally constantly. Last summer we got into an argument and he threatened to hurt me and i told him if he did that i would call the police on him for abusing me. So he slapped me across the face and pulled me off my bed from my legs aggressively and he threw me on the floor and started hitting and kicking me so i got up quickly and hit him back and we were just going at it. He punched, kicked, and slapped me several times and i had bruises. My grandma was there to witness it but didn't bother to stop him or say a word to make him stop. Anyway, that's sort of besides the point but i felt the need to include that as well. Well last week i ditched school like a dumbass with my brother just for the ******** of it because we're teenagers and sometimes we do stupid stuff and don't think about the consequences, it happens. We didn't go anywhere we just stayed home. My dad found out on Friday and now he is sending us off to go live with my mom on mexico. I don't have papers, i am illegal and won't be able to return to the US to visit family or anything, which is part of the reason why i didnt move to mexico with my mom when she got deported. I am here for one reason only and that is to finish school and get a good job and make allot of money to bring my mom back. I know your wondering well if i really wanted that then i wouldn't of ditched school but it was just a one time thing i was nt going to drop out or anything i just wanted to do it just because. I have good grades still and my absences didn't seem to affect my grades whatsoever. My dad says he's buying o our tickets next week and were leaving on Friday. I refuse to go. This is the land of opportunity, this is the only place where i can get a good career and bring back my mom. I know ican do it i know i have the ability and i won't let my dad take that away from me. I want to stay but i have no where to go besides live with my boyfriends family. If i stay at my aunts house my dad will still force me to leave and eventually i Will end up going by force. My dad and i have NEVER had a father daughter relationship and we have never gotten along. Like i said before he abuses me verbally tells me I'm. good for nothing and I'm a piece of ********. He says worse things than that and if you know Spanish and can think of all the bad words well he s called me each and every one of them. My boyfriend and i already have everything planned out and I'm in the process of packing up my things... Is there any legal right where I can refuse to leave and stay here and finish my education to get a career without him forcing me to move to another country where i have no future? Im just afraid of the consequences and i want to continue to go to school while i am living with my boyfriend but it will be easier for the cops to find me or my dad because i will be attending school... Can i go to my school and get all my papers or whatever i need and transfer to another school with out an adult having to be present? I was wondering maybe homeschool or independent studies or something.... I dont want my boyfriend's family to get in trouble or anything, they just want to be here for me and support me.

Comment

RE:

Hi,

thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been through a lot with being separated from your mom and your current situation with living with your father, but it seems like you’re trying your best. We’re happy that you reached out and we’ll try to help the best we can.

I’m very sorry to hear about the situation with your dad. It sounds like you’ve done a good job with trying to control it – remember that 911 is always an option if you feel your safety is being threatened or if you’re being physically abused. It seems like your boyfriend and his family have been very supportive throughout this ordeal and are willing to assist you the best they can. Unfortunately, if you are still a minor there are legal implications for running away that may make your situation worse. If you choose to runaway (even if it’s with your boyfriend’s family), please be aware that your local police department may become involved.

Some other options you may explore are possibly filing for emancipation from your father, which will legally classify you as an adult. However, that option may be complicated given your status as an undocumented youth.
              Additionally, if you are being physically and verbally abused, you can contact your state’s Department of Children Services to file an abuse report.

Again, it seems like you’re going through a lot and if you’d like to talk about it over the phone feel free to give us a call at 1(800)RUNAWAY. We are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and are confidential and anonymous. We wish you the best of luck – feel free to contact us at any time.

NRS

Comment

Home swap

Hello, I'm 17 and want to leave my mother's house where the quality of life is a little less than ideal, I've been neglected and emotionally abused way too long. I want to move to my father's house where I'm loved, taken care of, and have a great half-family. I want to stay there despite the fact that my mother won't let me, but fear that I may be forced to go back and face very bad consequences.

Comment

Re: home swap

Hello,

It sounds like you are seriously considering leaving your mother’s house and we’re glad you decided to contact us. You don’t deserved to be neglected or emotionally abused. You mentioned wanting to move to your father’s house which may be an option. However, if you are trying to go about things the legal way, he and your mother may need to go to some type of family court. You mentioned you are afraid you may be forced to go back to your mother’s and have to face very bad consequences. Another option would be trying to file an abuse or neglect report with your local Child Protective Services (CPS.)

Here are a couple of resources that might be helpful to you in your situation:
                  Child Help of America: Provides support to children and youth who are dealing with abuse and/or neglect.
                  http://www.childhelp.org/

National Safe Place: A National program to help youth get to a safe place and possibly stay at a shelter. (Not all cities participate, but it can be a start.)
                  http://nationalsafeplace.org/

Comment

Help

I am 14 years old and I would like to runaway an possibly have a new family that will support me in what I want to do. The family I have as of right now doesn't let me do what I want possibly playing/creating games.my goal in life is to be a video game engineer, computer engineer.
                    If I can't get a new family is there somewhere else I can go? Cause honestly I would like anything else instead of living with my current family.atleast somewhere I can stay and use my laptop at.

Comment

Re: Help

 If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Comment

i am 17 & 1/2 i want to run away out of state and return when im 18

I am 17 until May and I live in california. I want to run away because I am always neglected by my family. I have 3 beds in my room and only I sleep in this room. Whenever I get near my family they tell me to get away or to do something else. They don't want me around them. I want to come back to visit in the summer when I'm 18. But I want to finish that one semester of high school, that I will not complete here,in another state. I hear that in those one other state you could graduate up to the age of 21. So I want to enroll in a school in that state once I'm 18 so I won'tneed my parents rto enroll me. so I could still finish high school. I have good grades. I have ran away a few years ago and it was for two weeks in a row. But in those times I left on a Friday then came back on Sunday. Now I want to run away for 6 months until I turn 18. I have a safe place to stay in another state. What trouble can come of this?

Comment

RE: i am 17 & 1/2 i want to run away out of state and return when im 18

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. It sounds like you are in a really tough situation right now. It sounds like you plan to run away across state lines. You should know that if you do this, your parents can file a runaway report with the police, who can force you to return home. In addition, anyone you stay with could risk criminal charges for harboring a runaway. You mentioned that you are one semester away from graduation. Running away could interrupt your educational goals. If you drop out now or just don’t show up, you might not be able to enroll again and might have to take a GED test.

Nobody deserves to be neglected, and it is understandable why you would want to run away. You should know that if your family has denied you the necessary food, shelter, or medical care, you have a right to make a child abuse report. If you are considering this option, we can help you. We are here 24/7 to listen and support you in any way that we can, and all of our services are anonymous and confidential. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

Comment

please help me.

I am 13years old.I am a boy who has divorced parents.one is a search and rescueofficer(dad) the other is a pphysically abusing (mom) I don't want to live with my mom but my dad is worse. I have a ra pack ready. I don't know any runaway places. In Madera ca. Help?

Comment

Please Help Me

Hi,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
                              We are sorry to hear about your situation at home. It sounds like you could be suffering from some abusive behavior from your mother. That’s too bad. You don’t deserve to be abused in any way and we hope that you understand that you are not at fault for what your mother has been doing to you.
                              It does not sound like you feel your dad is a good place for you to be as well.
                              Are there any other relatives you might consider reaching out to for help?
                              We could not locate any runaway shelters in Madera,Ca. This may mean that we would have to check with the county social services department for emergency shelters for youth at risk.

Running away is one option but have you considered filing a child abuse report? This may be a way for you to get help and placed in protective custody in an emergency shelter or foster home. In some cases a relative might also be considered for placement. To do so you would need to contact Child protective Services in your area or you can call our 24hr crisis line and we can assist you with contacting CPS and filing a child abuse report.

Madera County Department of Social Services
                              HOTLINE NUMBER (800) 801-3999 24hrs
                              To contact NRS call: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit our live chat session via our website www.1800Runaway.org NRS live chat is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST).

Please be aware that they along with NRS are mandated by law to make an official child abuse report once any and all identifying information has been given. If you are still unsure NRS can conference call with you and attempt to get more information about child abuse reporting and procedures from the Madera County Social Services Department while you listen in. This gives you the option to go forward or look at other possible options in regards to your situation.
                              Does that make sense?

Your safety is important so we hope that you will consider safe options during your decision making process. You did a very brave thing by reaching out for help. We understand that sometimes it’s not always easy to share your feelings or your situation with someone. Good for you.
                              We wish you well and we appreciate you contacting NRS.

Take Care

Comment

16, but its been since i was 9

Hi, um.... my dad is a very strict person and I failed finals.... I am afraid of how he will react and physically or mentally hurt me. He lectures me from a range to 3to 5 hours all the while I am having an anxiety attack. When I try to tell him how I feel he just makes me feel worse. I'm not sure what to do or where to go... but if you have any type of information that can help me I'd be so much happier. I just want out of this God forsaken home. I swear sometimes he can be Satan himself. Anyway, could there be a place I could run off to? Does he have complete and total power over me? I've attempted suicide but I can't bring myself to do it. He rips up any artwork I do when he is pissed and various other things. I want to continue school but maybe online? I don't know how I would be able to do that though... any way, any information would be really helpful. Thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X