17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abusive parents

Hello, i have a friend who is 14 becoming 15 in september. She always tells me how her dad is always hurting her if she doesn't obey his rules. She wants to run away and live with me but she's scared that if her dad finds her, he will kill her. Im not sure if she's saying the truth on that treat or if she's just saying that. All i know is that her dad hits her and that she wants to go somewhere safe. Im 15, 16 in november, and i want to find a way were she can move in with me or with a friend with parents that are not abusive legally in California.

Comment

RE: abusive parents

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us during this difficult time. You sound like a good friend who is looking out for someone in distress. Nobody ever deserves to be abused or hurt. She has the right to feel safe in her own home. Just to let you know, we are mandated reporters. This means that if your friend felt comfortable giving us specific information such as name, abuser's name, address etc, we are required by law to report it to child protective services. She also has the option to contact the police directly. Teachers and counselors are also mandated reporters.

If she needs a safe place to stay temporarily, she can check out www.nationalsafeplace.org. It's also not against the law for her to run away from home. In most places it's considered a 'status offence'. However, anyone she would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with 'harboring a runaway'. Is your family willing to take this risk?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we cannot tell you what you should or should not do. We can however, help you explore options and come up with an idea of what to do next. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Help Me

I am a seventeen year old girl about to be eighteen in 2 months and I live in California. I have parents that emotionally abuse me and I am so tired of it. I literally cry myself to sleep every night I cannot take it anymore. I want to run away and I have a place I could stay but my parents have threatened to call the police on me if I do. I just want to know if it's possible for me to get arrested or put in jail for running away...
        I really can't take it anymore and I want out.
        Please Help Me.

Comment

Re: Help Me

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're going through a rough time and trying to figure out what your right and options are. While we're not legal advisors, we'll try and assist as best as we can.

It sounds like you're asking about the age of majority. In CA, as far as we know, the age you're allowed to leave home is 18. If you leave before that, your guardians are allowed to make a police report. That report allows authorities to pick you up and detain you to return you back home. It can also potentially get the people you're staying with into legal trouble.

We're not trying to convince you to not leave but it might be important for you to know all the things that can possibly happen.

We'd like to continue to assist you and advocate. If you're willing and able, please call us at 1800-RUNAWAY. We're here to listen, here to help.

Best,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

17 graduated from high school an I wanna move out

I'm 17 and I already graduated from high school, and I want to move out. My mom is mentally, physically and emotionally abusive, I can't live with her any longer without feeling like I have to cut myself. I've been living with my sister for a year and now that I graduated I have to move in with my mom since my sister can't have me any longer. Now that I'm 17 and graduated I don't want to be next to my mom living the hell I used to live in. I found a safe place with my boyfriend and his family and I'm scared she may report me since I would be living with him. I live in California and I want to know if she could make me come back and live with her, also I'm going to be 18 in three months please help me I can't live with her, I'm a 4.0 student and I'm not doing this for the wrong reasons, I just need to take care myself

Comment

RE: 17 California runaway rights

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us today. We are sorry to hear you are being abused, nobody deserves to feel afraid in their own home. Just to let you know, we are mandated reporters. This means that if you were to call with specific information such as names, addresses, abuser’s information and dates of abuse we are required by law to report it to the police or child protective services. You do have the right to feel safe in your own home. You also have the right to go to school regardless of your living situation.

It sounds like you have a safe place to go and are wondering if it’s legal for you to go there. We are not legal experts so this is not legal advice. Technically it’s not against the law for you to run away from home. In most places it’s considered a ‘status offence’. However, anyone you would be caught staying with could possibly be charged with ‘harboring a runaway’. Is your boyfriend and his family willing to take this risk for you?

It also sounds like you have been doing well in school. Have you talked to anyone there about what’s going on? Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we cannot tell you what you should or should not do. We can however help you come up with a solid plan for what to do next. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS

Comment

hello

hi i been thinking about running away well 3 years already and im 16 and undocumented i have a place to go to but im scaed to runaway i know it's not illegal to run away in california but still scary i think what if my mom and her boyfriend find me. but i'm just tired of them. im tired of them making rude comments they lie to much recently she told people that i told her i wished she died she never told them she told me to kill my self when i asked for help once when i decided i needed help to stop doing self harm im tired of being inside my house the whole time they never let me out i just hate being here with them. it' not fair to be here all day i wanna be able to be my self im tired. my boyfriend parents have agreed to adopt me but im pretty sure my mom won't let me if i run away what would happen?

Comment

My safety matters

Hi, I'm 16 and live in California. For the passed few years my 22year old brother has had a serious heroine addiction. He gets violent, he's stolen all of our jewlery and took it to pawn shops. Taken money, and breaks into out house, he always goes through times where he swears he going to change and wants to go to rehab,y parents have put tons of money, that we don't have, to help him. Because he ops out in a couple weeks, the bills are rolling on and we already seriously struggle for money. And my mom always let's him back in. Recently his last out burst he stole from me, threated to beat me and through a phone aty head, luckily I ducked. Since then I haven't spoke to him my mom promised she would never let him back in, I was scared for weeks to even be home alone. But of course, she let him back on. I'm scared for my safety and scared for my valuables. I told her I want to leave and maybe stay with someone and she won't let me. My next thought was to run away. Do I have the right? I work and tKe care of myself as it is because my family dosent make a lot. I need out, do I call the police? What should I do..

Comment

Re: My safety matters

Hey,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been experiencing a lot of issues at home and we are sorry to hear about everything that you’ve been going through. It has got to be really hard to live with your brother when he is active in his addiction. How have you been coping with this? Do you have any close friends or family that you trust and are able to talk to?

There is an organization called Al Anon. It is for loved ones of addicts and alcoholics. This group recognizes the difficulties of living with and loving someone with a substance abuse addiction, because it is made up entirely of individuals that may be or have experienced similar situations to what you are facing now. It is a national organization, with different meetings all over. This website can help you find a meeting close to you if it is something you decide you would like to participate in, or just get more information on:
                    http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

You said that you have spoken to your mom regarding your safety, but nothing changes. We cannot tell you exactly what the rules and boundaries are for siblings in the same home that are abusing drugs, but what we can tell you is that everyone deserves the right to feel safe in their home. One option you have is to call Child Protective Services (which can be looked up by county), or the Department of Social Services at (916) 657 2598. If this is not something you are comfortable doing alone, you can always call into our 24/7, confidential and anonymous hotline and we can make a call out with you. You mentioned calling the police. This is always an option as well.

If you wanted to try talking to your mom more about the possibility of living elsewhere, we can do conference calling with guardians as well. I know that you said nothing changes when you have talked to her in the past, and that she has said no to the idea of you living elsewhere. Do you think that you would have a better chance of reaching a compromise with a mediator on the line with you, making sure your perspective is well observed and the conversation is equal and fair?

We want to make sure that you are safe in anything and everything that you decide to do. We do not tell you what to do one way or another, because you know your situation better than we do. If you end up leaving home, we can look up shelters for you and help you plan your next steps. If you want to stay but need help communicating with your mom, we can conference call. If you just want to talk, we are here to listen. We are here to support you in any way that we can. If you would like to talk more about your situation, you can call us at 1 800 RUNAWAY. We are here 24/7, and our hotline is anonymous and confidential. We also have chat available 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST, through our website at 1800runaway.org. We wish you the best of luck with everything.

Stay safe,
                    NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

Can a 17 year old runaway enroll into school without being caught ??

Hello, I am a 17 year old pregnant runaway and I was wondering if I would still be able to enroll into school without being caught by the cops or the school calling the cops...isn't there like a law that says schools aren't allowed to say anything ?? Anyways I ran away from home because my adoptive mom said that if I would ever become pregnant she would either make me get an abortion or beat me intill I had a miscarriage... I had to leave for the safety if my baby and myself...I will be 18 in December which is in 5 months... But school starts in august.... I really want to finish my last year in high school ... Please help and thanks in advance

Comment

re: Can a 17 year old runaway enroll into school without being caught ??

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching our and sharing your story. It's clear that you're going through so much right now. It sounds like you left in order to protect yourself and your baby. It's completely understandable why you left. You sound like a strong person, who is dedicated to making their life the best. That is so great. We're here to support you in that. So let's see how we can help you out tonight.

It sounds like you really want to continue going to school. You're right that you have a right to an education, no matter your living situation. So, if you are homeless, and you go to your school and you tell them that, then they have to provide you with a desk - basically with no questions asked. The catch to that is at some point they will ask for identification and guardian information. So, at first they won't say anything, but at some point they will. If you're looking for more specific information about this (it's called the McKinney-Vento Act), you can contact National Center for Homeless Education at 1-800-755-3277. You can also check out a more local resource at http://center.serve.org/nche/states/state_resources.php. If you click on your state, you can find out some contact information.

You also mentioned that you're pregnant. It can be important to get the care that you need in order to make sure you and your baby are safe. If you're looking for some resources for health care, you can contact the Planned Parenthood hotline at 1-800-230-7526.

We are also here to support you through this time. You can reach out 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and anonymous and can talk through options or just be a listening ear. If calling isn't your thing, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS

Comment

In need of quick answers in California

sorry to be pushy, but I found out running isn't illegal .2 seconds ago. I have to get out of my parents house fast, they mentally abuse me and used to physically abuse me. I was wondering if I (17 as of April 23rd) ran away with my boyfriend (18 as of June 2nd) what could my parents do?

Comment

Re: 17 california run away rights

Hello -

Thank you for contacting us with your questions and concerns. You mentioned that you would like to leave your parents home because of abuse that is going on. No one deserves to be hurt or abused in any way and you do have every right to tell someone if that is happening and reach out to child services. It sounds like you would like to leave with your boyfriend but you are concerned what may happen because you are 17 and he is 18. You are right that in most states running away in and of itself is not considered a crime. But in most states the age of majority, when you are considered an adult, is 18. So what that means is that if you leave home without permission your parents may still have the right to make a runaway report and if the police find you they often times are required to bring you home. Usually the best way to get the most accurate information for how the police would deal with a 17 year old is to call your local police on a nonemergency number and ask some questions. It also could be tricky because your boyfriend is 18 and there may be specific "harboring a runaway" laws in your area. It's always a bit difficult to give you exact information on how the police will deal with this situation because it usually depends on the state and even city/county you live in. One resource that could be helpful to look at is "Alone without a Home" which gives information on laws affecting unaccompanied youth. We provided their link below.

http://www.nlchp.org/Alone_Without_A_Home

Hopefully some of that information helps. Keep in mind that you can also contact us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to discuss this situation more in depth. We also have a live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. We can help discuss safe options and resources with you. We can even help discuss filing an abuse report if that is something you would ever want to do. Our services are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to listen. Feel free to reach out anytime. Take care.

Comment

im 14 and im wanted to runaway with my boyfriend 22 years old

I am 14 and me and my boyfriend want to be together somewere the cops wont find us cause he is running from the cops now

Comment

Re: im 14 and im wanted to runaway with my boyfriend 22 years old

Hello,

We're glad you decided to reach out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are seriously considering running away with your boyfriend. You mentioned he is 22 and is running from the cops right now. That sounds like a scary situation and we are here to talk to your situation and hopefully work through some options.

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here: http://www.nrschat.org:88/chat/UserP...&d=&u=&bypass=

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X