No announcement yet.

17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im at 17 currently left home and is on the run from cps and my mom . Can I legally leave to be on own .

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out.

You mentioned that you are a runaway from CPS and your mom. We cared about your safety, and we want to make sure that you’re okay. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but in most states anyone under 18 is considered a minor, meaning your mom can contact the authorities and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some charges for harboring a runaway. An option you can explore would be to wait until you’re of legal age, and talk to your parents then about wanting to move out on your own. With you being 17, it is a gray area since you’re still a minor, you may want to consider reaching out to your local non-emergency phone number, and inquire about runaway laws in your area.

If there is physical abuse going on in the home, you guys can report it over the phone by contacting the national Child Abuse hotline at 1800) 422-4453. Someone will contact you within 48 hours after filing the report. In the same way, if you ever want to talk to someone like a counselor about what you are going through, you have options. You can contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness at 1800) 950-6264 and speak with a counselor.

We hope that these options can be of some help to you. If you need additional help, or want us to reach out somewhere on your behalf, you can call us 24/7 at 1800)786-2929. Best of luck!

• Hi I’m 12 and my famliy loves me but every day I wake up it’s miserable school 24/7 and I want to leave my dad left me when I was first born and my grandpa died A few years ago I’ve always tried to leave but I always came back cause I had no where to stay I’m from California too. Do you know anywhere I could stay?

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you might be feeling frustrated and sad about the way things have been lately and the passing of your grandfather. We are sorry for your loss. It can be hard coping with the loss of a love one. Sometimes when grieving it might be helpful to consider seeking counseling. You also mentioned running away but not having a safe place to go. Your safety is important.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more about your situation,we would be glad to listen and explore options with you. Please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

• Currlenly i live in indiana, and i would be running away for my college at 17 and half. My parents have been toxic and abusive. Im wondering if i would be in california how would the rules apply?

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

• I am 15 and the am not sure if I should run away. Yes my parents verbally, physically, and emotionally hurt me. While the physical abuse may just be me overthinking, I know for a fact they hit me more than my brother, even when I was little. Oftentimes I've been stuck between a rock and a hard place thinking, if I decide to run away, will I be the one to get in trouble? I plan to work first, because I want to have money for college - the savings my grandmother gave me were always given to my mother and were usually chunks of 50s or even 100s, and my parents told me they would save them for college. They lied, there's no money for my college, and my parents spent it on clothing and shoes. We are currently stuck in a 55 and over neighborhood due to my grandmothers passing, which happened when I was 13, and are relying on the inheritance. Beforehand, we were in a scary neighborhood with lots of shootings, and an oftentimes fighting with neighbors. They never saved money. Never took any other jobs-just complained about the ones they had and spent money on food we didn’t need, and clothes my parents already had. I also want to complete my education, and go to college, obviously. To be entirely honest, I'm scared of posting this because of what my parents might do. While they’re not exactly terrible people, they’ve hurt me and made me feel like I'm nothing. I live in California, and plan to runaway at 17 if I can, which is why I'm here. I want to know what happens when and if I runaway. If my living situation, my fear, my drive is enough for people to let me go without my parents at 17. What exactly can happen if I run away? Can I still go to school? Can I switch guardians? Will I need to go to court? If others help me runaway, will they get into trouble? I don`t want any of my friends to get in trouble because I wanted to do something selfish or for myself. This is a long post, but please answer these questions best you can based on the info I`ve given. I hope anyone else in a tough situation with their household doesn't have it for long.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-24-2020, 02:02 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you if we can. It is times like these that would be nice to have a listening ear. It is also important that you remember to exercise self- care. You showed some by reaching out to NRS. Good for you. What you have been experiencing sounds very sad and very unfair. You do not deserve to be abused by your parents. It’s not your fault that this has been happening.
      Your feelings are important and they matter.
      You deserve a chance to be happy and safe. You have the right to report any abuse to child protective services. To do so contact Child Help at 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org NRS can also assist with filing child abuse reports.

You talked about running away and wanting information on what might happen if you did so. We’re not legal experts and can only offer some general information.
      If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. If picked up by the police you may be returned home.
      Also anyone found to be aiding or harboring a runaway could face legal charges. For more specifics on the law, contact the local non-emergency number to the police department. You might also consider looking for legal aid services online.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
      NRS

• i just turned 16 two months ago, ive had cps at my house before and they said i needed to go to counseling. After they left my parents made it clear they would never allow me to go to therapy or anything like that, they took me out of regular school so they can keep an eye on me at all times. They are very controlling and my dad is mentally and emotionally abusive and has said phrases such as "youre a waste of space" and "youre no use around here" not only to me but all of my siblings including my three year old brother. I've been thinking about getting emancipated for a while now and I was waiting until I turned 16 so i can get a job and qualify. I ended up getting a job but my parents are trying to make me quit it but if i have to quit i wont be elligible for emancipation. Just being here is traumatizing and im having difficulty with my school work because of that. I cant have any meetings with my school counselor without my parents being able to monitor it. I have no privacy ever, they took away my door months ago and i just dont think i can handle staying here for another 2 years. I have brought up going to my local youth shelter and my parents made it clear that if i stepped out the door they wouldnt hesitate to call the police and get me arrested and if i ever ran away to a friends house they would call the cops and get my friends parents arrested for aiding a runaway. I've felt stuck between a rock and a hard place for a very long time and I thought staying here was the right choice but now im not so sure and i know that whatever I choose there is going to be bad consequences for me and for my family. Should I try to get emancipated before they make me quit or should I runaway?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. Additionally, if your parents have been ordered by CPS to provide you with therapy or counseling and have yet to do so it could be a violation of CPS mandate and bringing this up to CPS or your caseworker could help you get the help you need.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home, it’s a status offence so you wouldn’t be arrested since its not a crime but police would try to bring you home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      It sounds like you are interested in emancipation. We are not legal experts, but we can help you get a general sense of how emancipation works. Our general understanding is some states offer formal emancipation statutes while others do not unfortunately. Laws vary depending on your location, but in many states a minor can petition the court for emancipation to take responsibility for their own care before they turn 18. Generally speaking, courts are wary about granting emancipation. In most cases, you would have to prove in court that you have an income and can care for yourself financially, and that you are able to live separately from your parents. It also helps to be in good standing at school. The court will also factor in the mental and physical welfare of your parents in order to establish your best interest. Usually your legal guardian would have to agree to this in court. Once you are emancipated, you can legally choose where you live, but you might still find that you cannot sign a lease or build credit until you turn 18. The emancipation process can take several months or up to a year, and may cost money in the form of court fees and other expenses. Usually, the best way to learn about emancipation in your state is to contact a lawyer. You may also find information at your county family court. We can look up legal aid resources that may be able to help you with the process.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      Be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X