No announcement yet.

17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 17 year old girl ran away from home , with 16 year boy, the boy looks like pot head.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-29-2019, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Reply: My 17 year old girl ran away

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We would like to be of assistance to you and your daughter if we can. It is times like these that can be toughest on a parent. It is important that you remember to exercise self- care. If you have not done so already you can file a runaway report with the police department in your city and state.
      You might also contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at: 1-800-843-5678 and file a report with them as well. www.missingkids.org

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat so that we might learn a little more about your situation and how we might assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon. Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 05-29-2019, 03:10 AM.
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi, im a 17 (almost 18 in 97 days) year old. I ran away 2 times before.
        The first time was when i was pregnant and when i left during lunch to take a pregnancy test, the school called my parents and they went crazy looking for me and the car i left in. (I left with a guy friend who is now currently my boyfriend. he was 1 of of 3 trusted people who knew about the suspected pregnancy)) I stayed at his house for 4 days until having an abortion and coming back home. I got put into therapy sessions for extreme anxiety and depression, birth control implanted, and phone taken away.

The second time was when i was at church with said guy friend (we'll call him E) and the guy who impregnated me weeks prior was there. I had a horrible anxiety attack and (E) brought me to the car and i frantically wanted to leave. we went back to his house. I had no phone still at this time. I stayed for 5 days and he brought me back. The night he brought me back i was terrified of going inside to my angry parents (horrible relationship with mom and brother, but started working on it, and fixed my broken relationship with my dad). I had tumbling panic attacks over panic attacks in front of (E) who just became my boyfriend the day before. After passing out and 2 hours later i walked out of the car and slept outside on the side of the house scared to go inside.

Eventually i did and with a rough summary: Mom and Dad yelled and suggested home schooling and more therapy.
        Last day of public school i got a back up phone from a friend so i can text my friends from school and my boyfriend. My parents didnt know.
        5 days past and (E) came over to my house without anyone knowing with a later and stayed the night 2 different nights. The second night was a mistake because my mom found out from the security camera and ripped me out of my bed calling me a slut and found my phone.
        That was the last day i was at my moms house. My brother called me a slut and her boyfriend said nothing. I went to my dads who was also very mad.

they were planning on putting me into a residential program for delinquents like ******. and i wasnt allowed to speak to (E) again. They wanted him to get convicted for many things (hes 19) and my parents said (and i quote) "ill do everything in my power to see him in court"

i was terrified, depressed, and suicidal for weeks, 3 weeks pasted with no communication with (E) until i finally was able to with my school given computer. 3 weeks more my mom stopped talking about me and denying the request for me to get more clothes than the small bag i had saying "she left with the clothes on her back for 5 days twice. she can wash them in the damn sink!"

I was being told threat after threat that ill be sent away by my dad if i mess up again and cross lines. I was walking on eggshells.
        It didnt feel like a home anymore. My mom, dad, and brother all were mad at me. My dad said if i left ever again before i turn 18, I wont be allowed back at home.

so for the third time i ran away with (E) again. Ive been living with him ever since in ***********. since May 14 i believe. A month has passed by with no one trying to find me and we were waiting till September for me to turn 18. Until today, when we werent home or his dad (who doesnt know ive been living with his son for a month half of the time in his car and the other half in his room) a detective from ******* left his business card at our door. His dad called us and we went into panic. I finally contacted my dads girlfriend and told her EVERYTHING. but me and (E) are terrified for eachother. He can get in trouble with the law for so many things regarding me, and ill be taken home. Which i didnt have anymore.

I feel so stressed and so scared for both of our safeties. Ill be sent away finally and hell be in jail because of me.

Were going to tell his dad very soon but he believes right now that ive been living with my aunt the whole time. I know once he tells the detective that in his knowledge that theyre not harbouring me theyll leave them alone but i dont know how long we can keep this up without him knowing. Idk if hell kick me out or let me move in. And eventually ill let my dads girlfriend tell him that im safe and living here. But he hates the thought of (E) he doesnt want any of his apologies and never returned (E)'s texts concerning me.
        Last edited by ccsmod7; 06-14-2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing what’s going on. Sounds like you have been through an incredibly stressful time, and you have been gone from home for a month, and you are worried about what could happen if you are found. You must be very resilient for going through all of this and here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. Running away is not a crime, however, the legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. So if E is 18 or over, he could be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway by your guardians if you are found with him. Legally, you would not have consequences if you are found, but it is possible that your parents could look into things like residential programs.

You mentioned being depressed and having panic attacks in the past, and those feelings are significant. Here at NRS, we want you to know you can always call or chat us if you need any support, we are here 24/7. We are confidential and here to support all of our callers. You might also reach out to NAMI or the National Alliance on Nebtak Illness at 1-800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741. You are never alone.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

• I’m gonna be 18 in 2 months,If I go with friends can my mom legally get them in trouble just by me being with them?Or if I leave the house since I’m 17 1/2 can the police even do anything about it?my mom is very strict and states that if I go with other friends she will file it as a kidnap against them but I’m almost gonna be 18 so if you can answer this would really help

Comment

• ccsmod0
          ccsmod0 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thank you for reaching out to us. Sounds like you are in a tough situation. It’s very responsible that you are seeking information prior to doing anything that will get you or others in trouble.
          While we are not legal experts and you are still 17 you are considered a minor depending on what state you live in. Legally your mom has the right to report you as a runaway and if you are found they will have to bring you back home. It is possible that whomever you stay with when you are found can face some sort of legal action.
          If you need anything further or need to talk out your thinking process we are here 24/7 you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or if you do not feel comfortable talking on the phone you can find us via our website www.1800runaway.org and you can chat with us. All our calls and chats are confidential.
          We wish you luck

• When I was 15 years old I ran away from home due to my parents finding out that I was with a boy that they didn't like. When me and him first started going out, they found out via my phone and punished me physically. 9 months later was when they found out I was still with him and that is when I ran away from home. With the help of a great friend I managed to call my aunt and she picked me up and drove me back home. Right now im in another relationship where the person treats me better. Im sixteen right now and my parents found out that I have another boyfriend and my mom slapped me and earlier ast year she punched me and chipped my tooth and then my dad hit me with the belt. I don't know what to do, I have suicidal thoughts and am thinking about running away again but to my grandmas house. Please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing what’s going on.

It sounds like you are not in a safe environment. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If your immediate safety is at risk you can call 911. You shouldn't have to go through this and you have the option to file an abuse report. You can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 and they can help provide you information on filing an abuse report. Taking pictures of any abuse marks can be helpful to prove any abuse. Your life is worth living and your life matters. If you are at risk of hurting your self you can call 911 or you can call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK(8255) . You can also reach out to NAMI at 1-800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741 for counseling resources. You are not alone and we are here to support you through this difficult time. You can also call us at our confidential 24x7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); or live chat with us at www.1800runaway.org.

We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. Running away is not a crime, however, the legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway and you could be brought back home.

You are acting strong by reaching out for help. We wish you the best and hope to hear from you soon.

NRS

• I have a 13 year old who didn’t come home when told and when I finally was able to talk to her, would tell me who or where she was at. My question is, is my daughter still considered a runaway if I’ve talked to her and know where she might be? And should I be concerned that by forcing her to come home or reporting her to the authorities, I am making the situation worse?

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. Having your daughter not come home when told is a really stressful situation and we are glad you contacted us. We are not legal experts by any means, but we can share general information about runaway policies. If a minor leaves home without permission and does not come back home then they are considered a runaway even if you have an idea where they are. You are well within your right to file runaway report with your local police department by calling their non-emergency number. Running away is not illegal and your daughter would not be arrested. You could let the police know where she is and they would most likely return her home.

As for making the situation worse, it is a possibility that there might be some tension after having your daughter forced back home. Her safety is a priority and you are her parent, so you know what is best for the situation. It could be helpful to get into contact with your daughter and remind her that you love her and you want her to be safe. Often letting youth know that you are willing to work through any problems with them and they will not be in any trouble can help ease a situation. Sometimes having a mediator involved can also help these difficult conversations stay calm. This could be a family member, a counselor, or trusted friend. Having a child runaway from home can be a lot of stress on you as the parent and it is important that you are getting the support you need. Team Hope is a parent support line for parents by parents, and they can offer you support as well as ideas of how to navigate this situation with your daughter. Your daughter is also always welcome to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org if she needs someone to speak to about how she has been feeling through all of this.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any other questions or concerns, we are available 24/7!

Take care,
          NRS

• I just turned 17 in July and i share a room with 2 younger siblings who are just 10 and 8, and i have a job and my bf is 18 and has a job, ive recently havent been agreeing with my parents decisions and i can provide for myself since i buy my own cloth, shoes, and anything i need, is it illegal to move in with him and will it get his family in trouble? I really want out and i want to know my rights.

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

• hi. im 17 and am planning running away to LA california. i dont know for sure if i have a place to stay yet but my girlfriend is there and bc of my past i need to leave nc and bc of my gf's past i need to support her too. if i drive to california would i be ok job wise working at vons and would i be able to rent a house or apartment. do i need my passport social security number and birth certificate in order to keep my car and get a job and house? i will bring my licence and registration with me in my car.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

It sounds like you are giving a lot of thought as you consider running away. It's very smart that you're thinking of these sorts of questions in advance. We don't necessarily know all the answers to your questions, but would like to do as best as we can so that you have as much information available to you as possible.

First, you should know that running away is considered a status offense, which means that if you or your girlfriend's parents file a runaway report you could be detained by police until they release you to your parent(s). Furthermore, it's a little more serious when you talk about helping another minor to cross state lines. Depending on your girlfriend's age, it's possible you could get into some fairly serious legal difficulty if caught, such as abetting a minor. We never tell anyone what to do, but you should at least know that.

We also are not sure if you'd be able to get a job or secure housing at your age in California. Often times there are background checks and employers or landlords might want to contact your parents before they employ or house you. We are not legal experts so we simply cannot say for sure. If you do decide to leave home it's probably a good idea to have personal documentation on you.

Things must be pretty serious for you and your girlfriend to consider running away. We'd like to help out further but would need a bit more information from you. The best way we can do that is if you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are open 24/7 and are confidential and totally non-judgmental. We won't tell you what to do but simply try to help as best as we can and provide you support and information. We also have a chat option if you prefer. Simply visit the main page of our website and click on the chat feature. We have a large database of resources, including shelters across the country. So please try to reach out if you can.

We hope this helps. Good luck and please stay safe!

NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X