No announcement yet.

17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 16 going to be 17 in two months and I plan on running away today from my aunt. My aunt has told me she will do whatever she has to do to get me where I want to be but she tends to lie. She is mentally and emotionally abusive to me and my younger siblings who are 11 and 13. They want to runaway also and it’s my job as their older sister to protect them and put them in a place where they are happy. My 13 year old sister has already contacted my older sister to pick us up. She is 20 years old and I believe she is capable of getting us. I am willing to talk to a social worker as well as my mother’s lawyer about moving us with my mom if she is capable of getting custody of us and if not, to my sister. I also want to know if i have to go back with my aunt if I turn seventeen. I also think she will call the police to look for me but if I do talk to them, will they send me and my siblings back home?

Comment

• Hey , I’m 19 year old. I live in California and my family is very rude and very offensive all the time and I have decided to run away forever and ever and never come back, but I do t have any place to live or to land. Please help to find a safe place and a far place from California

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS via our forum. We’re here to help in any way we can !

From what you explained about your family, it’s very understandable that you’re wanting to move away from their negativity. If you need help brainstorming your plans, we're here to help do that, as well as find you resources. There are social service agencies that can house you and help you get on your feet, such as Transitional Living Programs. TLP’s are a kind of long term shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living (employment, school, etc.). They help youth work on their goals, while they're living there. If you’re interested in that option, don’t hesitate to give us a call so we can see if there’s any in the area you’re trying to move to.

We are open 24/7.

Be well, NRS

• Hi i need some help an i need it badly my girlfriend is 16 going to be 17 this year my girlfriend recently ran away from her abusive home but was forced to return by them calling an leaving voicemails of threats of the police arresting me an her an my mother an her mate i am wondering what do i do she left willing because of not wanting anything to happen to my family i am in need of help i was trying for emancipation but they say she must have a job she does but shes like a caregiver she takes care of a disabled old man helps him out he pays her but i do not know what exactly to do i come to you hoping for some advice i see how many other people you happened to help also im not sure if it helps any but when she returned home the family had broke her phone with those voicemails on it so she could not contact the police an show them so i hope for a reply of some kind

Comment

• ccsmod5
        ccsmod5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like your girlfriend is in a really scary situation and it’s not okay that her family has treated her so badly. We’re not legal experts, but generally speaking if your girlfriend is in an abusive situation she has the right to report that situation to child protective services. She can do that by notifying the police (either calling 9-1-1 or non-emergency number). She can also call the National Child Abuse Hotline to ask about this situation and to file a report: 1-800-422-4453. Your girlfriend should not have to be in an unsafe situation and she does not deserve to be treated this way. If your girlfriend would not feel comfortable filing that report on her own, we are also able to do that if she gives us a call. Our number is 1-800-786-2929.
        Generally speaking, if your girlfriend leaves home without permission, her parents could file a runaway report with the police. If the police are able to locate her, they may return her but they’re supposed to investigate the situation if there’s abuse going on at home. It is possible that the adults in your family could be charged with harboring a runaway, but this is a very rare charge especially because there’s abuse going on at your girlfriend’s house.
        Emancipation might be a possibility that she could pursue, and she can do that by talking to a lawyer. If you look up legal aid organizations in your area and call them, they might be able to give you a clearer understanding of what she needs to do in order to be emancipated.
        If you or your girlfriend need to talk more specifically about the situation, please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck.

• Hi I'm 14 years old going on 15 in June.....I really have been feeling mixed emotions because everyone keeps calling me dumb, an idiot, at highschool and I hate it.....people have been calling me a p... and many other names. all I want to do is go for a really long ride on my bike. I just want to know what would be the consequences for leaving without my parents knowing...I really would like an answer as soon as possible. I would come back after a little bit but still I don't want to be arrested or detained by the cops

Comment

• Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear about how things have been going on at school and how that would lead you to have feelings of wanting to run away. We are not legal experts, but generally speaking because you are a minor if you run away and your parent or guardian files a runaway report you would be returned home if found. While it is not illegal to run away, there could be legal consequences if you stay with someone for what is called harboring a minor. Do you feel that you could have a conversation with your parents or another adult or family member in your life with everything that is going on? If not, you could also reach out to resources that could give you advice surrounding the issue of bullying. Two you can try would be www.stopbullying.gov and www.Netsmartz.org. If you want more resources or want someone to talk to, we can also be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Don't hesitate to give us a call.

Best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi I am a junior girl and I just turned 17 in January. I was adopted when I was 3 and I have found myself constantly being the "problem child" and the girl who is manipulative and selfish. I am so tired of being called everything in the book from ********** to slut to mental by my mom. She is constantly downgrading me and I retaliate back because she expects me to just take what she is saying and not be offended at all. I’m not saying I’m a saint but I know I am not a bad person. I have screwed up; drinking at school and having an edible once the school didn’t know only my parents. And I also left campus at school during my free period so I was not skipping school but I know I should have called my parents and let them know at least. I used to be a straight A student and because of my moms and I arguing she would make me do chores and wouldn’t let me do my homework so my grades were affected. As a punishment my mom has homeschooled me now which has gotten us arguing even more cuz we are together all the time. I have a boyfriend that is going to be 19 in 2 weeks I want to leave and possibly live with him. I am willing to take a GED to get my schooling out of the way but I DO NOT want to get him in trouble. Can he get into trouble if I stay with him? He is still living with his parents though. Plz help cuz I need a way out of this. My mom has also sent me to a behavioral treatment center in another state and she is threatening me that she will send me back if I don’t comply with all her rules. I don’t want to go there cuz I’ll be there till I’m 18.plz let me know. Thank u
          Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-09-2018, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Hi i am a junior girl and i just turned 17 in january

Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like things have been hard between you and your mother for some time now and as of right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
            Mistakes happen and things sometime get off track. That being said it does not mean you deserve to be called names and made to feel bad. Running away is a big step but there are some things to consider before making such a decision. For example; how will you survive or by running away does it make your situation better or more complicated?

Getting to your question about running away and staying with your boyfriend and his mom, while we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring or aiding a runaway. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting non-emergency number of your local police. There may also be a legal aid center in your area where you can get more information on this matter.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
            If you would like to talk more in detail please contact us.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
            NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• I’m 16, will be 17 in May. I used to live in California but recently my dad let me move back to my moms in Missouri. My mom has a warrant out for arrest for missing court that costs $2000 and she’s only a waiter at iHop, and i have a minimum wage paying job. My mom doesn’t have an ID or a drivers license and she can’t get one from the DMV because she has a warrant that we can’t afford to pay off. Ever since i’ve been here, i haven’t been in school. I’m a month behind. We don’t have our own house or apartment either because 1.) don’t have the money do a house 2.) could afford apartment but it can’t be in my moms name and most apartments are usually on top of background checks anyways. We can’t enroll me cause we live with a roommate and we don’t pay rent and we aren’t on the lease papers so we don’t have proof of residency. I’ve been lying to my dad this whole time about being in school, because he will make me come back to California. He already gave my room to my sister so i don’t have a room anymore, and when he moved my room out he and my stepmom found weed and read my diary so they know about me smoking weed and feeling super depressed and all that private info. If i go back he won’t let me do anything and he won’t trust me, and i won’t be able to smoke anymore or live my life as a teenager cause i’ll be on lockdown. He also won’t let me come back to missouri until i turn 18, and i can’t let that happen because the only good thing i got going in my life right now is my boyfriend and my little sister here in missouri. I’ve been with my boyfriend for 3 years off and on all because of when i’m in california we always end up breaking up cause of the distance. If i move back i know i will lose him again cause i hate distance and my little sister will be so depressed again living with my aunt, and i can’t handle the distance between us anymore cause i know then i really will give up. i’m barley hanging on a thread...i don’t know who to talk to about my situations and i’m so scared. i just want to leave and hide away until i’m 18 years old when i’m legal to buy my own apartment and not have to deal with anyone anymore or rely on anyone...i know it’d be best for me to live in california with my dad but i’m so unhappy there as it is and now i’ll be even more unhappy since everything went down when i moved to missouri. and not having my boyfriend or little sister to be able to hold me and remind me that there is hope is really gonna make things worse. i know it sounds pathetic but im a mess and i don’t know what to do anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. It sounds like you are overwhelmed with the things that have been going on at home. It seems like you are torn between living with your mom and struggling or moving back to California with your dad where you are not happy but financially stable. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to live with another family member or close friend that they trust. It sounds like you have to make a very difficult choice. We encourage you to do what you think is better for you in the long run. Please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you would like to discuss more about your situation.

• Hi I'm 17 and I want to run away Bc I cant live like this and my mom treats me like ******** and she doesn't like my gf BC my gf has depression and anxiety. If I run away IMA be with my cousin and she will take care of me n I'll get a job and help out I'm turning 18 on april 6th 2018...my question is will I still get introuble if I run away before 18 even tho ima turn 18 in 2 months? If my mom doesn't know I left will. I get introuble
              Last edited by ccsmod4; 02-17-2018, 01:35 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Hi I'm 17 and I want to run away

Hi there,
                Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
                As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws. Okay.

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

If you would like to talk more about your situation and go over your plans, please call or chat soon.
                Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.

We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey.

Take care,
                NRS

Comment

• Hello i am a 17 year old who will be turning 18 in two months. My mom abuses me emotionally. I have a place to go that will let me stay there until i graduate. Will the people get in trouble? Will the police make me go back to my home even though i turn 18 soon

Comment

• ccsmod11
                    ccsmod11 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’ve endured a lot of emotional abuse from your mom and we hope we can help you in this difficult time.

Emotional abuse is still abuse, and you should not have to experience that. Nothing you’ve done justifies your mother’s emotional abuse, and you deserve to be in a safe and comfortable home. We are able to help you unpack abusive experiences over the phones, and we can also help you file abuse reports against your mother if that’s an option you’re interested in. You can call us 24/7 at 1-800-786-2929.

We’re glad you have some sources of support. It’s great to hear you have a safe place to live away from home until you graduate. You seem to have some valid concerns about your plan, however. We aren’t legal experts, but we can give you general information that tends to be true across the U.S. However, you may want to double-check what we tell you with your non-emergency police department. You can do so confidentially if you wish.

Generally in the U.S. if a minor leaves home without permission from a guardian, they can be filed as a runaway. The police then are able to return that youth home if they locate the youth. Running away is usually not punishable by jail time, but any adult that harbors you may be liable for doing so. This crime may or may not be punishable by jail time depending on where you live. You again may want to check this information with your local non-emergency police department. We can help you call the police or we can ask the questions for you and relay their answers to you.

Hopefully this response helped. Best of luck.
                    -NRS

• Hi I'm 17 years old and and i've been getting into a lot of arguments with my parents, I ditch a lot of school, I am a senior and I am stuck with 4 Fs. I ran away from my house on friday and I got detained, they had 6 cops cars on me and they said next time I run away they will arrest me. Can they do that ? How much time will I do ? To conclude, I have a baby on the way due in sept, my parents aren't helping and they want an abortion but I told them I am staying with my baby and not leaving him/her, my parents don't even respect my girlfriend. What can I do if I don't want to be here ? I've also been feeling really down and lonely, my parents also told me to just drop out of school already to.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We understand that it takes a great deal of courage to seek help. It sounds like you are overwhelmed with everything going on between issues in school, your parents, and having a baby on the way. We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure whether or not you can get arrested or how much time you will do. It sounds like you want to be there to take care of your baby. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. You may also want to consider looking into emancipation laws for your state. We could also looking into resources such as transitional living programs that could provide you with independent living skills. We hope that this information was helpful. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

• Hello, I'm a 16 in SoCal and just wants to know what would happen if someone aided a runaway minor. I've been trying different solutions to get away from my abusive home, family counseling, etc. I know that I've been manipulated, used, and lied to. Because of this i'm escaping, I already have plans on how to survive on my own, and I'm ready to be an adult, as I've pretty much have been all my life.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are very sorry to hear that you have been abused at home. Abuse is never okay, and you don't deserve to be treated that way. If you ever feel as though you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to contact 911. You do have the right to report the abuse. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource for abuse reporting and information on how to transfer custody. You could also try contacting Child Protective Services or talking to someone you trust such as a teacher or school counselor.

We are not legal experts but from what we know, if you decide to leave home your family has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away is not illegal, however if you decide to stay with a friend they could get charged with harboring a runaway. Some other options that you may want to consider is asking your family if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. You could also try looking into emancipation laws for your state. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful!  We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum.  Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey:  https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• Hello I'm a mother of a seventeen boy that I love so much I also have two other children a 20 yrs old and 6 yrs old .. I always try to talk to my kids no matter what I don't hit my kids or cuss them out they name I try to be there in a positive way no matter what.. now I don't know what eles to do my son that 17 is being very disrespectful and running away he came out the and told me he was gay I love him and don't care I buy him close put make on him and so on I just love him no matter what... I Always been closed to my kids but now he's been dating a young man I don't like he's very bad for my son ..my son been dating him he cheated on him more then two hand full times but my son don't care I feel he not going to graduate now he quit band and he used to love it with everything I even bought him his own trumpet he gave up on everything .. I was happy when he dated another young man but that didn't work out now he back with this boys to me he's to young my son going to be 18 and the boy just turn 15 .. I told my son I want him to stay away from him and now he said he going to kill his self I went to mental health to get help for us they said family thearpy would be good for us but he don't want no family to go only him so I said ok .. we go see a family person and a individual for him.. I don't know what eles to do I'm trying he ok he loves me until he get caught up in a lie then he cussing me out runs away or say I'mma kill my self plz I need help or advice thank you..

Comment

• ccsmod16
                    ccsmod16 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there, thanks for posting to our forum. It sounds like you care a lot about your son and want some help in what is best for him.

Having a teenager run away frequently and say he is suicidal must be extremely frightening for you! We want to be the best support for both you and your son. We know you mentioned being in family therapy and your son is in individual therapy. That is a good space to bring up these tough topics and try to come to an agreed upon solution. There is also the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255, https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/. They are 24/7 so your son can call anytime he feels suicidal. If he is in immediate danger, you can call 911 and they can come do a wellness check and transport him to the hospital if necessary. Their website also has information for loved ones so that may be helpful for you too.

There is also a hotline called Team HOPE (help offering parents empowerment) run by the national center for missing children: 1-866-305-4673, missingkids.org/teamHOPE . All those who answer are parents of teens who have run away so they can serve as a support to you as well as provide your practical suggestions of how best to find your son and keep him home.

You may also consider looking into the juvenile justice system and see if they have a program for out of control youth or chronic run aways: sometimes called Minor in need of supervision or Child in need of supervision. We have resources for this as well and are 24/7 so call us anytime at 1-800-786-2929 or contact us via our website’s live chat when it is open.

Thank you again for reaching out and for supporting your son. We are here to help and support your both. Reach out anytime!
                    Last edited by ccsmod16; 03-26-2018, 03:45 PM.

• I’m 16 years old and I live in California. If my mom has full custody of me but I runaway to Mexico where my dad is at is it illegal. Could my father get in trouble if my mom has full custody. Even though I’m the one who ran away and another family memeber was my source of transportation to him?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are thinking about running away from home and living with your dad. We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure if your father would get in trouble. There is a chance that your father could get charged with harboring a runaway if he allows you to stay with him without your mother's consent. You could try asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with your dad. You may also want to consider looking into emancipation laws for the state of California. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929) , email, or live chat if you have any additional questions.
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X