No announcement yet.

17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I enana be with my 25 year old boyfriend but my parents dislike him I turn 18 on December 10 I've run away before and police went for me and this is wrong but I love him and I wanna be with him
    what should I do ???????

Comment

• Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out to us at NRS. It must be really frustrating to not be able to be with the person you love. Have you tried communicating that to your parents? Until you are 18, the police can continue to make you return home. Even though it might not seem fair, you aren't legally an adult until you turn 18. Maybe we could work out some ways that could help you feel happier at home until your birthday. If you want to use our Live Chat option or give us a call at 1800Runaway, we would be happy to listen and help you come up with some ideas. We can also discuss whatever options you have on your mind. Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I am 17 and I was in foster care but they gave my custody. I have been a run away since February 2017 and it is now August 2017. I turn 18 in April 2018. I have contacted my grandmother because I asked her to give her custody up. Later that day she called me Tia saying she would but when my Tia asked her sign the papers she told my tia no. I have called and text my grandmother multiple times, and the last time I had called her she told me that I did this to myself and once I turn I can do whatever I want and that she is not signing any papers and I can stay on the streets. She also told me if I go near her house or show up at her house she will call the cops and I will be arrested and locked up for being a run away. All I am asking from my grandmother is to sign papers so I may get my life back on track. I want to finish school and get a job but because of my grandmother I can not do anything and I refuse to be put back with her. I have called my social worker and she said there was nothing she can do that they closed my case April 23 2017. I don't know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,
          Thanks for reaching out to us! It sounds like you’re going through a really tough time. So it seems like you want to go live with your tia but your grandmother won’t give up custody. If this is the case, she should be responsible for taking care of you and if she’s not providing adequate care – she can be charged with neglect and be in trouble with the police. We want to encourage you to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) so we can best help you with your unique situation and maybe find a temporary housing situation while you sort out custody. We hope to hear from you soon!
          Best,
          NRS

• I'm 14 and mother is emotionally abusive and I'm gonna get kicked out when I come to her anyway, but I want to know what are some places or somewhere I can stay and what will happen if the police find me? I live in California.

Comment

• Reply: I'm 14 and mother is emotionally abusive

Hello,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you are having some issues with your mother and feel she might put you out.

You do not deserve to be abused and it is not your fault that this is happening.

It is very brave of you to reach out to NRS. Good job. We would be happy to explore some options with you about dealing with your situation at home.

We can also explore some options for emergency shelters for runaway/homeless youth.

Contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi im a 16 year old guy in texas if i leave without my parents knowing with a friend to another state could my parents still get me from another state.

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are thinking of moving out of state with a friend without your parent’s permission. The legal age in which you can move out without your parent’s consent in the state of Texas is 18. Since you are 16, you parent’s may file a runaway report on you. With a runaway report, if the police find you they may return you to your parents. Although running away is not illegal, if an adult lets you and your friend stay with them they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. If you would like to explore more options that you have don’t hesitate to contact our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929).

• Hi I'm 16, 17 next month I'm a mom to a month old baby girl and my mom won't let me take her to see her dad she keeps telling me she'll call the cops on me if I leave she keeps trying to parent my daughter could I get in trouble for just leaving? the father of my little girl is 21 we're in California

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’ve been going through such a tough time, but we are here to support you and help you in any way we can. That sounds so hard to balance raising your daughter and having that conflict with your mom.

We’re not legal experts here at NRS. Generally it’s not illegal to leave home, but your mom could file a runaway report, the police could get involved, and they could bring you home. The people you’re staying with could potentially get in trouble for having you stay there. Some police departments don’t accept runaway reports for 17 year olds, but the policies may vary by each department. You could consider calling your local nonemergency police department to ask about their policies. We also have legal aid resources here if you have specific questions about the laws in your state.

If you haven’t already, you could consider reaching out to a trusted adult, relative, worker/counselor at your school for help and support. There are also many resources that could help you work through conflict with your mom, find a safe place if you’re in need, or help you with anything else you may need. If you want to talk more about what’s been going on, or if you would like more information about resources, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you or contacting us. It sounds like you’ve been going through a really hard time, but you’ve shown a lot of strength by working through these challenges and reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future, please feel free to call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.

• Hi, I am currently living in California at seventeen years old and will be 18 in less than two months. I've gotten to the point where being home with my parents makes me extremely emotionally unstable, and my anxiety has sky-rocketed. my father used to be physically abusive, but after dealing with cps moved onto emotional and verbal abuse. my mother used to defend me but got tired of arguing with my dad, and has now taken his side. I have run away before and was gone for 4 months, but now that I'm really close to being 18, im wondering what my options can be. running away wouldn't be an issue, except the only other place I have to go is my boyfriend's house, but the issue is that he's already 18, and I don't want to get him into any trouble.

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS via our forum. We appreciate you taking the time to explain about your situation and we hope that we can be helpful.

It sounds like home life is very stressful and anxiety provoking because of your dad. You never deserve to be abused in any way, the way he treats you isn’t right. Sorry to hear that your mom isn’t being supportive anymore, it’s totally understandable why you’re needing to get away from that environment again. Abuse can definitely effect mental health in a negative way. You mentioned that CPS got involve and your dad stopped physically abusing you, which is good to hear, but emotional abuse can be just as painful. If you ever wanted to make another abuse report, we’re here to help you do that.

As far as leaving home again, it’s good to hear that you have some place to go. Since you’ve runaway before, we’re guessing that you already know what can happen. Usually, minors are not able to leave their home without a parent’s permission. Running away is not something that minors can be arrested for. The charge of ‘Harboring a Runaway’, happens when adults let runaway stay in their home. It’s not a common charge we hear about and in some situations, we have heard of police not accepting runaway reports on 17 year olds. Since we’re not legal experts, we have a service were we can call out to local police, with youth. That way we can ask them exactly what their protocols are. If you are interested in that service, don’t hesitate to call into our safeline. Since you do turn 18 so soon, there is a good chance that police won’t get involved.

Again, thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, we’re non-directive at NRS, so we can’t tell you what the right thing to do in this situation. If you’d like to talk more about the situation or the options that we listed, don’t hesitate to call out to our 24/7 safeline or use our chatting services.

Be well, NRS

• I am 17 and 5 months old. If I run away to someone’s house can my parent call the cops on me for not returning home?

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. That is a great question- since you are a minor until you are 18, you are legally obligated to live with your parents. If you run away, your parents can call the police to file a runaway report. The police will then likely bring you back home, if they know where you are. It is also possible that the person’s house you runaway to can be charged with harboring a runaway. However, since you are almost 18, it is possible the police may not bring you back home. You can call your local police nonemergency line and ask them what they would do in your situation. If you wanted someone to guide you through this conversation with them, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we can call the police together to ask them this question.

Thanks again for contacting us, feel free to call us if you want to talk more!

• hello, i am 14 years old and my dad was beating me until i reported him and i came back to the home with my dad and he cuts my hair bald and shaves my eye brows and makes me go to school and he does it on purpose so they would make fun of me.can he do that?also he took all my close away and he said i would have to buy my own close but i do not know how because i am 14 i can not work.what can i do?

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi There,

We are so sorry to hear this is happening to you. It sounds like an awful situation, and extremely traumatizing that your dad would shave your head and eye brows. You so deserve to be treated with respect and basic human dignity at home.

It was really brave of you to report your dad in the past, and it is so not okay that is how he reacted. You reporting him is on him because of his actions, and not on you. You deserve to be treated infinitely better than that. You can again report your father for doing this. Your teachers can also report what is going on as well. When you first reported your dad you probably were assigned a social worker and you can reach out to them and tell them what's going on at home so hopefully they can help you with that. It could possibly help you be permanently removed if CPS knew he treated you like this when you returned home.

If you give us a call, we can also help you fill out an abuse report and if you ever just need to talk just give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1800.786.2929 or you can chat with us on our website every day from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST. We look forward to hearing.

• I'm 17 and 5 months pregnant in california I want to run away to my boyfriend's house but I'm scared the cops will come get me and my gaurdian will press charges on my boyfriends mom. Can that happen what should i do please help

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline. The legal age in which you are considered an adult in the state of California is 19. Since you are considered a minor, if you decided to leave home without your mom’s permission, she has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not illegal, if you decide to move in with your boyfriend, his mom could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. However, some police departments do not accept runaway reports for 17 year olds. You could find out by contacting your local police department and asking them whether they accept runaway reports for 17 year olds or not. If you don’t feel comfortable contacting the police we could call them for you. Unfortunately we cannot tell you what to do, due to our nondirective approach. You know your situation better than we do because you are the expert in your own life. If you have any further question or you would like more information about what your options are, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• I’m 14 years old and my mom smokes crack and meth. She also has been physically abusive to my sister and I. In the past I was taken into to foster care because of her drug abuse. I made a report to the police with my aunties (my half brother’s actual aunties) and have been staying with them for the time being. But the police said if my mom ask for me to return home that I have to go back because everything I said to them is still here say and they need to investigate everything. Today, she contacted my aunt to return me home but I don’t want to go back there. What should I do? The police said my aunties could get in trouble for keeping me if mom asked for me to return. I want to run away because I don’t feel safe with her and I don’t want to get my aunties in trouble. What should I do? I live in Menlo Park, CA.

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi!

Thank you for contacting us. We are so sorry to hear that you are being treated unfairly at home, and it is completely understandable why you do not want to return. We are not legal experts here, but generally, if you are feeling unsafe to return home, you have the right to ask the police to do a safety check of your home. You can also file another abuse report. If these are things you are interested in but would like help with doing, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we would be more than happy to make a call out on your behalf.

In addition, if you are interested in a resource for child abuse, Child Help is an organization that would be able to assist you. Their number is 1-800-422-4453, and their website is childhelp.org.
              Feel free to reach out to us at any time to discuss your options with one of our trained crisis line workers. We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you soon!

• I am 16 years old and I live in California and my dad treats me differently in so many ways and I wanna run away I have a place to stay that provides everything for me and I have a question if I runaway and the officer finds me and takes me home and says don't run away again and he said if I do runaway again he says he can take me somewhere bad and I wouldn't like it I don't remember the place he said but he says he can and will take me there is that true?

Comment

• ccsmod11
              ccsmod11 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, thanks for reaching out. We hope we can help you through this difficult time.

It makes a lot of sense that you would want to move out of your home if your parents are threatening with kicking you out. Regardless of your pregnancy status, you deserve to feel safe and comfortable at home. You also deserve to feel like your parents find you responsible and capable of making decisions properly. And of course, accidents do happen. You also deserve to know whether or not you are pregnant. It must be frustrating that your mother took your pregnancy test results back from you without you being able to see the results from yourself. If you would like, we can try to connect you to healthcare resources that provide pregnancy tests to youth in your area. We would simply need more information about your circumstances in order to do so. We cannot give information about local resources over our forum post because it may compromise the confidentiality of the youth who reach out to us. But you can call us at 1-800-786-2929 24/7.

As for your questions about running away, we are not legal experts but we can give you general information. If you leave your home without your parents’ permission, they can file a runaway report on you with the police. If this happens, police can search for you and if they encounter you, they can return you home. In most parts of the U.S., running away is a status offense, meaning it’s unlikely that runaway youth will be arrested or detained. However, adults who harbor you as a runaway may be criminally responsible for doing so. You can call your non-emergency police department hypothetical and anonymous questions about your situation to receive more specific and concrete information.

Hopefully this information was helpful for you. We encourage you to reach out to us for further assistance.

-NRS

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thank you for reaching out to us. This sounds like a difficult situation with your dad. If you are experiencing abuse at home please call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453, or us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to talk to someone who may be able to help you. You deserve to be safe at your home.

We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure if your dad can or cannot take you to the place you mentioned. As a minor, you are required to live with your parent/guardian. You are right that if you run away, you can be taken back home by the police. Running away is not illegal, but is considered a status offense. It is possible your dad is referring to juvenile detention. The police could take you to juvenile detention if they picked you up, but this is rare since running away is not illegal.

If you’d like to talk more about your situation, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you to learn more about what is happening.

• Hello, I'm 16 and about 5 weeks pregnant. I've heard that you can runaway in California and if the police get involved they cannot force you to go back home, as long as you are safe. Is this true?

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you recently found out that you are pregnant and are thinking about running away. Planned Parenthood (1-800-230-7526) www.plannedparenthood.org is a great resource to get more information about the choices you have in regards to the pregnancy. We are not legal experts so we cannot say for sure what could happen. From what we know, the state of California requires young people to be 19 before they are considered adults and can leave home without their parent's permission. Since you are under 19, if you decide to leave your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not illegal, if you decided to stay with a friend they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. If you don't feel safe at home, you do have the option of contacting Child Protective Services (CPS) or 911. CPS, would do an investigation and if they determine that you live in unsafe environment, you would be removed home your home. The easiest way to legally move out would be to get your parent's permission, you could ask your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member. If you have a job you may also want to consider looking into options of emancipation. If you have any other questions or would like additional resources, please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

• I am 16 almost seventeen in two months and I plan on running away today from a aunt that is mentally and emotionally abusive to me and my siblings. Although I have been wanting to runaway for quite some time. My siblings really want to runaway and my aunt has already told me that if I could be with my mom or older sister she would let me. I am afraid that even if I leave ( with and/or without my siblings) she will call the police. I want to tell the truth to a social worker as well as my mom’s lawyer but I’m afraid if I do they will give out my location and send me home. I assure you that I will be somewhere safe and much more comfortable for me. I only have little time until I make this decision. Whatever information you can give me will be greatly appreciated​​. Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello there,
              Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline today. It sounds like things are very overwhelming right now. We’re really glad you came to us, it takes a lot of courage to ask for help.
              We’re not legal experts here, but it sounds like your concerns are valid. If your Aunt is your legal guardian, she can certainly call the police to get you returned home. You do have the right to speak about the abuse with anyone that you believe can help. If you’re not sure who to turn to, you could reach out to www.childhelp.org for more information about abuse reporting. A social worker or your mother’s lawyer might be a good choice to speak to as well.
              If you’re worried about someone giving out your location but would like to speak to your Aunt or send her a message, we can provide the help for you if you wish. If Aunt is your legal guardian, you can leave her a message here with our Messaging Service where someone will relay your message to her and not be able to reveal where you are due to confidentiality. If you’d like to speak to her directly, we can arrange a conference call with the same confidential protection. We can also conference call with your local abuse reporting hotline if you want some help reporting or just want to ask questions about what could happen if you did file a report.
              It’s not clear from your post whether or not you have run away. If you’re in need of help or don’t feel safe where you are, please consider contacting us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (or try our Live Chat right here on this website) and we can try to find you a safe place to be. Sometimes discussing the situation with someone in person in more detail can reveal options that you might not have thought of already.
              Please stay safe. We’re here to listen and help the best we can.
              All the best,
              NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X