17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 17 california run away rights

Hi,
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things might be changing at home for you right now. We are here to help you explore your options.

You mentioned that you and your friends have a plan to move out and live in a house together. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this and have some questions. While we are not legal experts, generally speaking if you were to run away or leave without your parent’s permission as a minor they could file a runaway report. This means if the police found you, they could make you go back home. So when considering your options of staying somewhere else, getting your parent’s permission would help you. We could also help you look up youth shelters or alternative living arrangements (ALAs) in your area. You also might want to contact your local police department to see if they would accept 17-year old runaway reports from youth that have already graduated from school.

Some other options you could consider, if you want help discussing these plans with your parents, is our conference calling service. This is where you, your parents and someone from NRS would be on a phone call helping you and your parents have a calm and productive conversation about how you’re feeling and your plans to move out.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

• Runaway

Hi im 17 i turn 18 in 3 months i Live in california oakland . I wanna runaway bc my mom is emotionally abuse . She wont talk to me in months . Gives me the optiom to kick me out the house wen whe argue . Accuses me to be sexually active with my stepfather which is all lies . I wanna go stay at my bfs house which his 18 we been in 2 year relationship . I just wanna know if i leave and my mom calls the cops what are the consequences to my bfs parents and me and will anything happen to my brother

Comment

• Re: Runaway

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. It sounds like you are going through so much at home with your mom. It is so not okay ignored by your mom for months and accused of being sexually active with your stepdad. You deserve so much better than that. We here at NRS truly want to help you through this difficult time.

Just so you know, you do have the right to report abuse/neglect in your house to child protective services (CPS). They would remove you if your home is investigated and found to be highly dangerous. While it can be hard to prove that verbal abuse is highly dangerous; you also mentioned that your mom won’t talk to you for months and threatens to kick you out, CPS might consider that to be neglect. To learn more about reporting you might contact the expert child advocates at www.childhelp.org. If you would like assistance filing an abuse report, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

So your mom does have the right to attempt to file a runaway report for you with the police if you leave without permission. Since your mom has mentioned kicking you out in the past, you might ask her if you can leave. You can legally stay anywhere she says is okay. If your local police department does take runaway reports for 17 year olds who are close to turning 18, you would be entered into a database as a runaway. If police find you, you typically will be returned home. If your mom knows your boyfriend’s address. She can give that information to the police and they can look for you there.

If you stay with your boyfriend without permission, he could be at risk for harboring a runaway since you mentioned he is 18. Typically, you would need to be found at his place by police, and your mom would need to attempt to press charges against him for him to be charged with harboring a runaway. You also mentioned wanting to know what would happen to your brother. We are not really sure what role he plans in this. But if he is just living at your mom’s house and she files a runaway report for you, it would not affect him at least legally.

We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best,

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• Help

I just turned 17 years old and I hate living with my mom she drives me crazy and I always want to runaway and she is mentally abusive and makes me feel depressed. My parents are divorced and have 50/50 custody but I want to just live with my dad so I plan to refuse to go to my mom's house and just stay at my dad's and I know my mom is going to go crazy and call the cops to get me but can they force me to go with her. And will my dad get in trouble for anything ?

Comment

• re: help

Hey,

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

• runaway at 17 and im in a group home

Im 17 ran away from a group im with family and its 100% better but i dont want to get them in think he stay are the rules for that

Comment

• Re: runaway at 17 and im in a group home

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Glad to hear you are safe and with your family. It sounds like you are worried about what could happen if you are found with your family.

Running away in itself is not usually considered illegal, rather a status offense. So if you are found it is possible that you would return to your group home or a different facility. If you are found at your family’s house by police, they are at risk with being charged with harboring a runaway by the state; which is a misdemeanor.

If you are close to turning 18, you might anonymously contact your local police to see if they would take a runaway report. Most the time they do, but sometimes local police have their own protocol for 17 year olds. If you would like assistance calling out to your local police, please call 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Again, we are really glad you are in a safe, supportive environment. Please call or chat us if you would like to have a conversation about your situation and help with trying to brainstorm additional options or locate resources.

We wish you the best,

NRS

Tell us what you think about your experience!
                https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

• Hi, I am the mother of a 15 year old sophmore in california, I need advise. She usually takes walks to chill when she has some panic or anger attacks,, she is been in therapy since summenr 2016,,, ( years agowe have a family tragedy where her dad sommited suicide after we found out her older sister was being molested) I jsut want to understand what parenst can be proactive and help her to protecte her,,Yesterday seh got upset, " took a walk" someone brought it home. Iam very concern and my stress out for her choices and at risk behavior,,, should i make apolice report everytime she do that? Im desperate. thankis

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are extremely concerned for your daughters mental health. It sounds like even though she has been in therapy, you are feeling like it isn't working enough for her to cope with her emotions. It might be possible to talk with her and ask her what she needs during this time. Maybe you could ask her what about her walks makes her feel better and then go from there to provide assistance. Because she is a minor and leaving home without permission, you could file a runaway report for her. The police would be on alert in case they see her. However, if she does leave home a lot and you file a report every time, the police may only let you do that for so long before they may feel it is useless. But that is up to you. It might be helpful to talk with her school about what is going on to see if they have noticed any patterns as well. It is important to remember to take care of yourself during this time as well, some self care is always good for stress.

Best of luck,
                    NRS

• Hi I am 18, I wanna move out of Cali to a place near around Ohio. Would it be illegal to steal some of my parents money to use to run away?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                    ccsmod1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help and support. Sounds like you are planning to move out. Since you are 18 you are considered a legal adult which means that you can move out if you want to and you won’t be considered a runaway. As a legal adult, you have a right to make your own decisions about where you live. Your parents do not have any legal recourse to keep you from moving out on your own if that is your decision. Stealing money from your parents is illegal. We are not legal experts, however we can help give you a general sense of what consequences you may face. Stealing money is illegal and you could face misdemeanor or felony charges, depending on how much you take and how you take it. If you get caught stealing, you may have to pay big fines or spend time in jail. We could help you find resources and talk about your options for legal ways to earn and save money you will need for moving. It can also be very helpful to have a backup plan in case things don't work out how you hope with your friend. We often hear from youth who move out and end up stranded or in a dangerous situation when their plans don't work out. Having a plan for where you will live and how you will survive once you move out can be very helpful. Moving is a huge step, and you don’t have to be alone. Some steps you can take towards independence might be to find employment if you don’t have an income, or to save up money for moving expenses. It is also helpful to research rents in your area, find a roommate, or make a budget. Another thing you might want to consider is what kinds of things you depend on your parents for currently such as tuition expenses for school, or health insurance, and whether they would continue to provide those things after you leave. There may be social service agencies in your area that can help meet some of these needs, such as Transitional Living Programs, a kind of shelter where young adults can live and get services to help them transition to independent living. We are here to listen and help however we can. Please don't hesitate to give us a call or chat with us online if you need resources or want to talk!

• Hi I am 17 in 2 months My family is physically and emotionally abusive I have bruises and cuts and scars from them I tried running away the other day and they caught me and made me go home and threatened taking me to the police then said they are taking me to a mental hospital. My best freind and her mother said I can come live with them and they will take care of me. I am going to leave soon and I was wondering if your greyhound will take me to a safe place you say it is for returning home but I don't feel safe going home. It is eight hours away I do not want to be picked up off the streets I have been raped before and I don't feel safe walking the eight hours. Is there a way I can get a ticket to her place instead of home. I have picture proof of all the abuse incase the police try to make me go back home. Thank you so much. I am already packed and have everything I need. This has been going on for the longest time and I can not take it no more. My freinds keep asking me what happend to my neck when I tell them they said I should call the police but I do not want to. Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You seem really distressed about going home. Based on what you have shared that you've been through, that's understandable to be worried about being on the streets. Unfortunately our Home Free program through Greyhound is a family reunification program, helping youth to get back home to their families. We can't help you to run away to live with someone else. If you do feel you are in physical danger, you have a right to reach out for help. If you need support, or help with reaching out to someone to talk to, we are always here.

Hope to hear from you soon,
                    NRS

• Hello I am a 17 year old female that lives in CA. I am tired with the way my father treats me and I want to get out ASAP, even if it means taking off. Which seems like my only option at this point. I was forced to move in with my father when I was 13. He didn't really want anything to do with me until my mother finally decided to divorce him, which started when I was 11, and he didn't decide not long after I turned 13 to be "in" my life. My father continues to emotionally abuse me and control me yet no one believes me. My counselor that I am court ordered to see sides with my father and says that I have been making everything up from the past. My father has physically and mentally abused me and my mother back when they were married and was constantly in and out of the house, but the court threw everything out and said that it was all made up. The judge himself even told me that I was a worthless liar. I have tried making it work, working on mine and fathers relationship and staying there these past few years, but it yet has only gotten worse. My father won't even let me contact my mother anymore and visitations are only every other weekend if he allows it. He continually considers me a troublemaker and a rebellious child, making out that I only want attention. No one even bothers listening to me anymore. He has taken everything that he possibly could take away from me and is now starting to try and take my pets things, money (which my mother gives me), and such. I have no phone or any way to contact anybody if I need it, no home phone or anything. I am not allowed to use any electronic devices. He has even threatened to put me on home study. Next thing I can see him doing is selling my snake which I bought myself and put over $600 into. I am wanting to go live back with my mother and get my life back on track and actually do something with it. If I can move, I am able to graduate early and go to college and start my career choices. Also get my permit and license which my father won't allow, and get a job so that I can save money. I also don't really care to see my father ever again. I am not sure on what I can do besides not coming back from my mom's on a visitation weekend and stay there. I am sure my dad will take it to court but I am only afraid that they will only try to arrest me again. Please I need help, or good advice of some kind. Also doesn't help that the county is small and pretty much corrupted all way around...

Comment

• ccsmod10
                    ccsmod10 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello,
                    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things have been really hard living with your dad. We’re sorry to hear that he is physically and emotionally hurting you. Nobody deserves to be treated that way, and you certainly don’t deserve to be ignored or called a liar.

It seems like your plan right now is to go stay with your mom. If your dad is your legal guardian and decided to file a runaway report, the police might return you back to him. However, how the police handle cases for runaways who are 17 does vary. Sometimes, local police might not accept a runaway report for a 17 year old, since they are so close to being an adult at 18 years old. If you were in a safe place with you mom, they may not have to return you to your dad. If you would like further information about how local police handle 17 year old runaway reports, you can call their non-emergency number and ask to speak with an officer. You can do that anonymously, too. We can also help you do this if you would like to chat us or call us to talk one on one.
                    We understand you have already been through a lot with the courts, but you can try to report how your dad abuses you again if you would like to. One resource we provide youth with to help them learn more about reporting abuse is Child Help USA (website: www.childhelp.org, phone: 1-800-422-4453). We can also help you file an abuse report if you were ever able to call our hotline. If you ever feel you are in immediate danger, you also have the right to call 9-1-1.
                    We hope this information has been helpful for you. If you would like to talk more about your situation or discuss options, please reach out through the online chat on our website or give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you’re able to get ahold of a phone.

Best of luck!
                    -NRS

• Hi im 17 my girlfriend is 16 and she is abused emotionally and mentally her depression stems from being kept from doing things that should normally be aloud , being grounded constantly like ay she cleans her room right after she gets yelled at for not cleaning her room even though i watched her do it. She has been becoming suicidal and all i want to do is help her , would be legal for her to runaway in California

Comment

• ccsmod15
                    ccsmod15 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are here to provide non-judgmental support as well as any other resources that might be available. It definitely sounds like things are frustrating for both you and your girlfriend, but you should be commended for taking the initiative to try and find help. She certainly does not deserve to get yelled at or verbally abused.

Both you and your girlfriend are always welcome to contact National Runaway Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY, if you would rather talk to a trained liner. We are also available by live chat if you go to our website at www.1800runaway.org If your girlfriend is becoming suicidal she might consider calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255. From what you have shared, it sounds like she may benefit from talking with a trained crisis worker due to her depression and emotional state of mind. You can also check them out at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org If she continues to be verbally or physically abused, she want to think about making an abuse report by calling Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) at 800-422-4453. We normally recommend this as a last resort since a case worker will be assigned to investigate her situation. If it makes things easier, she can contact NRS directly and we can help make that call with her. As far as running away in California. It looks like she is still considered a minor due to her being under the age of 18. Although we do not provide legal advice, it is our understanding that a youth who decides to run away is not necessarily committing a crime. Instead, it is viewed more as a status offense whereby the police, if she is found, will do their best to safely return her back to her legal guardian(s).

We think it is great that you are doing your best to help out your girlfriend. We are optimistic that things will get better. We are here 24/7 if you feel like reaching back out to us. Good luck with everything!

• Im a 16 almost 17 year old girl in california.i have ,gone thru several years of foster care and i have been adopted for almost 10 years now. My dad and mom both hate me and want me oit and my dad is always telling me i need to be put in jail or a mental hospital. Ive asked them to become emancipated but they both twll me they dont want to let me get out of my misery. I dont know what to do. My dad is always calling me names and has become physical with me before but has told the cops that i initiated the fight. He is always careful not to leave marks, but causes pain. Ive left for a whole night before but every time i leave he threatens to call the sherrif on me and have me arrested. I want to live with my bf or a friend but am too afraid to get them in trouble. He wont let me get a job permit or a drivers permit because he os so controlling. Please help me to find oit if what he is saying is true and icould be arrested for leaving. I cant stand much of this for any longer

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey,

Based on what you shared it sounds like you are thinking about running away and you want to know if your dad is telling you the truth about what could happen. Running away isn't specifically a crime, so you wouldn't be arrested. But you could be sent back home by the police. Your dad can file a runaway report for you, and it is possible that whoever you go to stay with could get into trouble. If you are being physically abused, you have a right to tell someone what is going on and try to get help. Hopefully this answered some of your questions. You are welcome to call or chat with us if you still need help.

Take care,
                    NRS

• I am 17 and and a half and will be 18 in 6 months , I need to move out of my house asap because my parents are emotionally abusive and have been making it impossible for me to go to school and church. I have a place to stay and a job , what other steps can I take to get out soon?

Comment

• ccsmod7
                    ccsmod7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like your parents are emotionally abusive and you are wanting to leave home with 6 months before you turn 18. That must be frustrating to not be able to go to school or church. That is awesome that you have a job and a place to go, you must be pretty responsible. Here at NRS we truly want to help you.

Typically 18 years old is the legal age you can leave home without parental permission. If you leave home before 18, your parents could attempt to file a runaway report with your local police. It is up to the local police with whether or not they would accept that runaway report and what actions they would take if they did accept it, since you are so close to turning 18. Sometimes they will not take reports for 17 year olds, and sometimes they will take them and return you home if they find you. The best way to learn what local police would do in your area is to call their non-emergency number and ask about their protocol for older 17 year olds.

If you call or chat us, we can talk through your situation, provide support, and help brainstorm your options. So please do not hesitate to get in contact with us.

Best of luck,

NRS

• I am seventeen, and I was accepted to a college out of my legal state of residency wot my parents. I want to move out and attend this college because my mom is mentally unstable(though she refuses to admit it) I have two safe places in the state I want to move to. Will my parents be able to get the cops to return me home? Even if I dont want to amd fear my safety in their home?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                    ccsmod1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help. Congratulations on your college acceptance! It sounds like you are making plans for your future. We are sorry to hear things aren't going well with your mom. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your mom may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway, so your friends who have offered to let you stay with them could be at risk for criminal charges. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. Crossing state lines can complicate things or increase your risks. Your college may require parental permission for you to attend before you turn 18. You may also want to think about what you depend on your mom for, such as tuition expenses or health insurance. Even if you plan on getting financial aid, you will need your mom to fill out the FAFSA, so you may find it difficult to get going at college while being a runaway. If you feel physically unsafe at home, you have a right to report that. We cannot say whether the police would take your statement at the time they are taking you into custody to make you go back home. You can always call us any time if you want to talk through the details of your plan and go over options. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X