No announcement yet.

17 california run away rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 17 teen years old and my parents are emotional abusive to me. And I have looked at sites and everything. But what I would like to know Is that if I leave and they make a runaway report what will happen to me if they find me.? Will I have to return home if I feel unsafe.? What if I'm turning 18 in 8 months.? What if I have a safe place to stay.? What if I runaway but still go to school.?
    I live in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Re: 17

Hello, thanks for posting on the forum.

We’re so sorry to hear about this abuse you’ve been experiencing at home. It sounds hard, no one deserves to be treated like that.

We’re not legal experts here so we can only speak generally about this topic. Typically the police return you home if they find you after a runaway report is filed. If you tell them you don’t feel safe at home, they may take you to a youth shelter or take you back to the station. From there they may call CPS and an abuse report may have to be filed. It’s difficult to say and may depend on what information you give them about the situation.

If you have a safe place to stay and are almost 18, sometimes the police wouldn’t bother searching for you or wouldn’t take you home if they found you. That depends on the local police in your area. If you’re wondering, you could call the local police non-emergency phone number in your city and ask them yourself. If you’re nervous about making this call yourself, you could call in here to NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we’d be happy to make that call with you or on your behalf.

As far as going to school goes, that may be possible. However, some schools require a guardian to register you. Also, if you plan on going to the same school and you didn’t want your parents to find you, they would probably be able to locate you if you’re attending class.

It sounds like a lot is going on. We want you to be safe above all else and have a plan that is realistic. We can help you with that. Please consider giving us a call to discuss this, or you can just vent about what’s been going on at home. We’d love to hear from you!

Stay Strong,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I'm 17 and want to leave home

If my parents call the police will I get arrested or the person I'm staying with get it trouble to? ?

Comment

• re: I'm 17 and want to leave home

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We aren't legal experts here so we can't say for sure what will happen to you if you leave. In general, running away doesn't mean you will be arrested. But if you are a minor there is a chance that the person you're staying with could get into trouble for letting you stay with them.

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

• Re: 17 california run away rights

***PLEASE READ ENTIRE STORY!***
            I'm 17 years old and I just started living with my friend because my parents gave me the option to leave their house and I took it. Is there a way where
            my friend's dad can be my legal guardian without social workers and police and courts getting involved? I did my HW and found out that there is a
            "temporal guardian" where an adult can temporarily be my guardian without submitting it to courts and stuff like that. I don't want all of this to go through
            the court because I feel that it's too much drama. I wanted to get emancipated earlier until I looked into it and realized it's a long process.
            I have a job that pays for everything myself except the roof over my head. I pay for my phone. car insurance, gas, food, and clothes. On top of that, I
            buy my little sister things because she deserves it; and there's always left over money. OBVIOUSLY, I'm independent and don't rely on people, so I would've
            been able to qualify for emancipation, but I decide not to (As I previously mentioned). Along with this fact, I'm curious for some of my legal rights.

OK so I told my parents I wanted to get a car and they replied with, "We're not getting you a car, if you want one, go get a job and buy one
            yourself." I knew it was hard but it's the truth so I had to hit reality. I got myself a job and started saving $$ for a car. 2 months into my job, I saved
            1400$ and bought myself a used car on my own from a girl. I looked into it and legally a 17 y/o CAN OWN a car if it's paid off and not from a dealership.
            So I got the car and when I told my mom about it. she said she's not putting me under her insurance. THANKS MOM! Anyways, I guess you can be 17 with your own
            policy quote/insurance... so I did that. I have my own insurance with my own policy under no none else name, meaning that I pay it by myself. WELL... 2 days
            into owning my car I find out my mom SUSPENDS my license because she thinks I'm gonna go crazy and drive everywhere; I literally drove myself to school and
            work. THEN my dad chokes me to the point where I start blacking out so he can have my car keys. He gets my key, STEALS MY PINK SLIP and threatens to sell my
            car and put it under his name. Since they threatened to sell my car (REMINDER I BOUGHT IT MYSELF) I took my spare key and hid the car from
            them and kept it parked up the street and didn't drive it at all until I got into the fight with my mom where she told me that "if you don't like the rules in
            this house, then get the f**k out." I was so over all the stress and stuff so I did. I walked up the street to my car and drove it to pick up my stuff and
            take it to my friend's house, then I drove it to work... while I was working, my mom took my original key and stole it from my job, so when I got off, my car
            was gone. I am guaranteed it was my mom who stole it because I have evidence. I'm not a bad kid, I'm just a teenager who is very independent
            and relies on just myself. I feel like my parents are intimidated by me because it's a feeling of like "WOW my, 17 year old kid can handle herself."
            feeling. REMINDER: When I got my car, insurance wasn't started yet so yes, I did drive it uninsured for a few days.

Moral of my long story: Can my friend's dad un-suspend my license since he'll be considered my guardian AND what can I do about my car issue with my
            parents? I talked to my mom today and she said she's not gonna give back my car.

Comment

• RE: Re: 17 california run away rights

Hello and thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you're going through a lot right now. You mentioned a couple of different things that have been going on. You mentioned some issues of concern which is your safety. You don't deserve to be choked or mistreated in any way. Although you mentioned not wanting to involve authorities, you may file an abuse or neglect report with child protective services. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453, www.childhelp.org may be able to help answer some questions about reporting abuse and the steps to take for temporary custody granted to your friend's parent(s). We are not legal experts, but generally anything with a legal focus would involve social services, local authorities, or the courts. Regarding your car, if your parents are refusing to give you your car you may consider filing a report with police and getting in touch with your local DMV as it seems unlikely that your friend's parent can remove the suspension from your license. We can't tell you exactly what the outcome of your situation will be, but we're here to help explore options with you.

If you would like more immediate support and resources please call out chat with us soon.

Be safe and good luck,

NRS
              Last edited by ccsmod6; 09-07-2016, 05:03 AM.

Comment

**please read**
                I'm 16 years old and I have been trying to do research about leaving my family and moving with my grandparents in the Philippines, but so far I have found nothing. I don't "usually" get physically abusive or neglected, but I did
                at some points in my life and I feel threaten by this because i know their will be more times just like it. I was choked by my father at an age ranging from 6-10(don't remember)just because I wanted to bring a card game
                to school and he would not let me,and this alone truly scars my past and I want to forget about it by moving to the Philippines with my grandma. She is fully capable of giving me food, shelter, and clothing but so far my mom and
                dad, will not let me go even if my grandma is up for it, and same goes for me.Is There anything that I or my grandma can do to bring me legally to the Philippines or can I just leave with my grandma even if my parents do
                not agree?

Comment

• Reply: 17 california run away rights

Hello,
                  Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you reaching out to NRS and expressing your feelings.
                  You do not deserve to be abused by anyone. You are very brave to tell your story.
                  You are not to blame for the abuse suffered from your parents.
                  It sounds like your grandmother is willing to try and help you by having you live with her.
                  It’s good that she is aware of the situation and wanting to support you.

Legally you or your grandmother might consider the option of filing an abuse report with child protective services.
                  NRS can also assist you in filing a report.
                  By calling NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) and providing your information and details of the abuse NRS as mandated reports can file a child abuse report on your behalf.
                  Does that make sense?

As to you leaving without your parent’s consent to go live with your grandmother there could be some legal consequences for her.
                  We are not legal experts so we are not in a position to be specific about the laws on this matter. You grandmother might consider speaking with a legal attorney.
                  How does that sound?

Let us know how we might be of help.
                  NRS has a national data base to provide you with information and referrals in your area.
                  Give us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org
                  We are here to listen and explore options that might help cope with your situation.

You were very brave to contact NRS to talk about your situation.
                  Good job.
                  We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
                  NRS

Comment

**please read**
                    I'm 16 years old and I live in California I have been trying to do research about leaving my family and moving with my grandparents in the Philippines but so far I have found nothing. I don't "usually" get physically abusive or neglected, but I did
                    at some points in my life. I was choked by my father at an age ranging from 6-10(don't remember)just because I wanted to bring a card game to school and he would not let me,and this alone truly scars my past and I
                    want to change that by moving to the Philippines with my grandma. She is fully capable of giving me food, shelter, and clothing but so far my mom and dad, will not let me go even if my grandma is up for it, and same goes for me.
                    Is There any things that I or my grandma can do to bring me legally to the Philippines or can I just leave with my grandma even if my parents do not agree?

Comment

Hey there,

If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.

Best of luck,
                      NRS

Comment

• Need help

I am 17 years old and my birthday is on July 9 I really want to get out of my house my parents abuse me mentally there is not one thing I can not do with out them complaining I want to live a better and normal life. I really want to run away and move with my boyfriend he is 22 years old and his family is accepting me there since they really like me, my parents would kill me if I were to do this but I feel like I have no more options I hate being here please help

Comment

• re: need help

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It seems that you want to get out on your own and live with your boyfriend before you turn 18. It sounds like you're frustrated with your home life. That seems like it would be stressful to deal with. We are not legal experts so we can't tell you directly if you should leave home or not. We also don't know the laws for each city and state. In general, if you leave home before you are 18 without permission there is a chance you could be made to go back. Your parents most likely can file a runaway report for you. It sounds like you're already aware of what could happen if you leave and get caught. So you would most likely have to decide if running away is worth the trouble.
                          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST

Take care,
                          NRS

Comment

My mom filed me as missing but i am staying at a friends house right now and my friend's mom contacted her to tell her where i am. I spoke to the police and they said i don't have to go back. My mom unenrolled me from the school i attended all of high school and i don't turn 18 until march. I'm currently not enrolled in a school and ,since I'm not home, have no way to enroll without my moms permission. She told me to come back home but when i went back she said i make everyone miserable and told me she doesn't want me there so i don't want to go back. She also might try to claim that I'm mentally unstable if i try to go back home for a short period of time just until she enrolls me and i can go back to my friends house. Once in 8th grade, she kept me out of school for 2 weeks because she claimed i was mentally and emotionally unstable, but it was only to punish me for going to a harvest festival when she told me not to. I'm completely fine mentally and emotionally, i just can't live at that house right now and i have a safe home to go to. My only issue is enrolling in school and I'm wondering what my options are because i want to graduate on time in may.

Comment

Hello and thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like things are tense between you and your mom right now. You seem to have been in and out of the house a bit and currently are living in a stable and safe place. Because your mom took you out of enrollment, it seems you're wanting to know your options to get back on track and to finish school on time. It's great that you reached out and want to learn more about your options to enroll. Generally under the McKinney Vento Act of No Child Left Behind, all children have rights to an education; whether or not a guardian is present you may be able to enroll on your own as an unaccompanied minor. Often getting in touch with your school to discuss this in detail with a homeless education liaison or social worker as well as talking to a state coordinator about your rights and the enrollment process seem to be a good start. You can find more information here: https://www2.ed.gov/programs/homeless/guidance.pdf and here: http://www.naehcy.org/educational-resources/m-v.

We hope this helps, and if you need any resources or further support we encourage you to call our crisis phone or chat with us.

We wish you well,

NRS

Comment

• Moving out at 17 after my high school graduation

I'm 17 years old and I'm graduting in June and I won't be turning 18 till November. I have plans on renting a house with several of my friends and we are all very responsible. We will all be working and going to school and we agreed to have stable income in order to stay in the house. I'm not quit sure how my parents will feel about me wanting to leave at 17 but I am curious in knowing if my parents disagree with my decisions would there be anything my parents or the police be able to stop me or bring me back home? I've been reading in a few other states that at 17 you can voluntarily move out and the police can not bring you back home as long as you pass the welfare codes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X