No announcement yet.

i want to leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i want to leave

    i want to run away and move to a whole different state. i want to move to new york but i live in south dakota. how could i do that?

  • #2
    Re: i want to leave


    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Switchboard. We are not legal experts, but we can try and answer your question in a general sense. If you are still a minor, it may be difficult to legally move away without your parent(s)/guardian(s) consent and/or permission. Generally speaking, running away is just a status offense. However, harboring (housing) a runaway, crossing state lines with a minor, and contributing to a delinquency of a minor are considered misdemeanors in most states. Some youth and the people who help them are willing to take these risks and others are not.

    We are not here to judge you in any way; however, at the same time we hope you are able to remain safe. If you are seriously considering running from home, you might find these questions through this link helpful to think about beforehand.

    We’d be happy to talk to you directly to continue discussing your situation. We can be reached immediately by calling us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and through our Live Chat by clicking on the red “Live Chat” button on between the hours of 4:30 to 10 pm Central time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp