Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Dylan

Hey there,

We are so sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now. We are here to help and support you in any way that we can, and your safety is our top priority. We can’t begin to imagine how difficult this must be for you. Do you have anyone to talk to about your wanting to run away and the conflict that is occurring between you and your mother?

You said that your mother said that if you ran away you would go to DJJ. We are not legal experts, and the rules vary from state to state, and even county to county, there is a general policy that running away is called a status offence. What that means is that, if you run away, and the police pick you up, they will take you back home.

You mentioned that you and your mom have some serious issues, can you tell me a little bit more about what that means? We have a resource that you could consider utilizing. We have a conference calling service where we act as a moderator between a youth and their guardian to make sure that everyone is being heard and understood and that the dialogue stays constructive. If you think this would be helpful, you can contact us via our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

It sounds like you have developed a plan and have a safe place to stay. As I said earlier, we are here to ensure that you are safe. Our website has a list of questions we encourage everyone to consider before leaving home. You can find them here (http://www.1800runaway.org/Should-I-Run-Away/) If you would like, you can call our 24 hour hotline our our chat service at (www.1800runaway.org) and we can explore those questions, and discuss some options to keep you safe should you decide to leave home. We look forward to hearing from you!

Stay strong,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I need the right care.

My mother is a single mother. She cant support me and i need a solid and stable family. I cant take he constant complaining about her life is so terrible but she still does nothing to improve and it is drastically impacting me. How do can I get moved to another home?

Comment

RE: I need the right care

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. We are sorry to hear that your mom is unable to support you and is putting you in a stressful environment. No one deserves to be somewhere where they do not feel safe provided for.

We are not legal experts, if you feel like you are not being provided for by your mom then you have the right to file a neglect report with your child protective services. This is an option that you have as a minor. No one deserves to be mistreated or in an unstable environment. You can make a report by calling Child Help USA at 1800-422-4453 or our hotline. We can make a report with you or for you, whatever you are most comfortable with.

Another option that you have is to see if your mom will allow you to stay with friends or family in the area in order to have that stable home that you were talking about. That is something that everyone deserves. You can bring this up to your mom and talk one on one, or you can have a mediator/third person present while talking to her. Sometimes it’s helpful to have a trusted adult mediating the conversation. If you do not feel like you have a trusted adult then we have a conference call service at NRS that you can call. That is where we would talk to you and your mom separately and then join the calls and have a three-way call. This is one way to have your voices be heard. Another option might be for your mom to willingly give up her guardianship. That might be something to talk to her about.

We hoped this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can call us or chat with us. We look forward to speaking with you and wish you the best of luck.

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I need to get away from my parents now

I need to get away from them but I'm only 14 and live in Tennessee but I'm afraid to leave my friends and everything here! And I'm afraid to be with a different family! My parents just don't understand I mean they treat me like a piece of crap and my sister gets no kind of trouble ! And I can't handle it at my house and then at school and I've thought about suicide so many times but I just can't do it but I feel if I don't get away from them soon I will have no choice but to do it I just don't know what to do can you tell me ?

Comment

RE: I need to get away from my parents now

Hey,

Thank you so much for reaching out. It sounds like you have been having a pretty tough time lately. You shared a little bit about your family situation, and the reasons that you are thinking about leaving home and it’s understandable. It sounds like you have started to think about ending your life, too, and that has got to be really scary. We’re so glad that you found our bulletin board and were brave enough to post. We’re here to help as much as we can.

You mentioned suicide and it sounds like this is not something that you want to do right now, but you have been thinking about it and you are afraid that it will be your only option soon. Have you been able to talk to anyone about this? In some cases it can be helpful to talk through these thoughts, and we’d like to give you the number of a hotline that would be there to do this with you any time, in addition to ourselves. The National Suicide Hotline is (800) 273 TALK (8255), and they also have a chat option you can get to through their website, here: suicidepreventionlifeline.org if you prefer to talk online.

You have expressed a lot of frustration with the way that your family has been treating you, especially in comparison to how your sister has been treated, not getting in any kind of trouble. It has got to be hard to feel like things are unfair to this degree. Have you been able to talk to your parents about any of your feelings at all? It can be tough to talk to parents, and we get that. One option might be to write it down, in a letter or an email so that you can get all your feelings out without having to worry about an immediate response verbally, or getting interrupted, or having something come out the wrong way. Another option would be conference calling with us here at National Runaway Safeline. This is a service we offer here, where youth can call us and we can talk, and then we could make a call out to a legal guardian to facilitate a conversation between the two of you, and make sure that everything you were hoping to communicate is said.

It sounds like you are debating leaving because of things going on at home, but you do not want to leave your friends and you are concerned about only being 14. It is really great to be thinking these things through to the extent that you are. If you want to talk more about your options in greater detail, you can always call us. We are here 24/7 to support you.

Best of luck and stay safe,
            NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I need to get away

I am 13 years old and need to get away from my family. I am transgendered and have not told my parents. They have a history of beating me and I have tried telling them before but I got yelled at and told "God made you a girl and that was no mistake". I have no other family to take me in and just don't know what to do. I'm afraid if she finds out I'll get beaten again, what do I do?

Comment

i need to find a new family quick!!!!!

My mom wont stop choosing the wrong people to be with.She always happens to find these men who cant do anything for her. Every time there is an argument between me and one of her boy friends she always chooses him over us. One time one of her boyfriends touched me in a sexual way and i told her, she didn't even believe me. She told me that i told on him because i was angry. Seriously??????!!! I thought that the parent was always supposed to put their children. Isn't that child abuse? its been two -three years since that and things still haven't turned around. Sometimes i fell like if i kill myself that i wouldn't have to constantly feel this feeling of neglect and not being wanted. I want to leave but i don't want to leave my friends because i did say something to my friends and they were very supportive about it. My brother was taken away from us because he he felt like he didn't belong there, and neither do I. Sometimes i cry when i think about him because he was the only person who was there for me and wanted to help me when i had suicidal thoughts. the rest of my family(and her boyfriends family) just thought i was crazy and called me 'devilish' for it. i always put on this fake me because i think if i were to show everyone the real me that i would be lonelier than i am already.

Comment

re: i need to find a new family quick!!!!!

Hello-

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been struggling with your mother and her several boyfriends for a longtime. It must be extremely frustrating to have her side with them and not with you. No one deserves to feel like they cannot be the real version of themselves at home. We are very happy that you contacted us and we are happy to help in any way we can.

You mentioned that you have had suicidal thoughts more than once. We want you to know that you are not alone, and that we are always here to talk to. We can provide support in any way you need it and help you think of solutions to any problems you may be having. You can talk to us on the phone by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), our hotline is confidential and open 24/7. If you do not feel comfortable talking on the phone, you could also contact us through our online chat. Out chat is available at www.1800runaway.org, Monday – Sunday from 4:30 pm- 11:30 pm. Another great resource to try when you are having suicidal thoughts is the National Suicide Hotline. You can reach that hotline at 1-800-273-TALK. They will also provide you support and help you through any situation you may be in.

You did mentioned you have support from some friends and your brother. It is great you have people in your life that care about you. I know you said your brother is no longer around, but is there any way you can get in contact with him when things get bad? If not is there a family member or someone at your school, like a teacher or counselor, you feel comfortable talking with? Sometimes it helps a lot to be able to talk to somebody about what is going on at home.

You also shared with us that one of your mother’s boyfriends touched you sexually. We want you to know that any kind of sexual interaction you did not agree to is considered sexual abuse. No one deserves to have to go through that. I know you said you told your mother about what happened, but were you able to tell anyone else? A great number you can call to talk to somebody about that is RAINN. They deal with people who have gone through sexual abuse and will be able to provide you the support that you need. You can reach RAINN at 1-800-656-4673. We also wanted to let you know that if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, you have the right to protect yourself, the right to report that person to the police, and the right to file a report against that person.

We urge you to give us a call to talk about any of these situations. We would love to talk you through what is going on in order to be able to help you as much as possible. We wish you the best of luck and we hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

What should I do?

I'm 16, I live in MN. My dad just completely hates me. Even if I don't do anything he will get mad and yell at me. I'm always getting grounded and yelled at for nothing. My parents think Everythin is my fault. Everything in my house that's broken or that's not right is some how because of me. What can I do to leave this place?

Comment

re: What should I do?

Hello,

Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We realize that is takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and to make your situation better. Hopefully we can try to help you think through your options!

We are so sorry that you have been feeling this way at home. It must be really frustrating to feel like you have done nothing wrong and still get yelled at and blamed. We are not legal experts here, but we can talk about the legal possible outcomes of running away. Because you are 16, you are considered a minor and your legal guardians are responsible for you. It is not illegal to run away, it is considered a status offense. If you run away, your parents have the right to file a runaway report with the police. If the police are able to find you, they can bring you back home. If your parents do not file a runaway report, the police may not know that you have ran away and may not look to find you.

After thinking about what may happen with the police if you were to run away, it is also important to think about what you would do and where you would go if you were to run away. Some important questions to ask are:
                      o Do I have a place to stay?
                      o What about school? Would I continue to get an education?
                      o Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
                      o What would I do for money? Shelter? Food? Transportation?
                      o What can I do to make things better at home?
                      o Who have I reached out to make things better at home?
                      We know this may seem like a lot of things to consider, but it is important to be prepared and make a solid plan. If you don’t know how you would answer these questions, and want to talk to someone about it, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We can help you answer these questions and think through your options.

Again, it is great that you have reached out to us and are trying to get help! We hope that you stay in a safe, comfortable place and really think through the pros and cons of your decisions. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us through our hotline phone number or you can reach us on our chat system that you can access on our website. We are here to listen and here to help. We look forward to your call or chat.

We wish you the best of luck!

NRS

Comment

Help, i need to get away from my parents!!!!

I can't stand living with my parents or sisters!! They take advantage of me. I go to work, I have school, I babysit my baby bro, I clean, my parents make me pay the phone bill for all of us, my dad charges me for everything he does for me and the one thing I ask them is to let me sleep well at night and they can't even let me do that. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment. My sisters are in one room being obnoxiously loud and my mom is in the other watching to with the volume up so loud. I can't sleep in either of those rooms! I try to sleep in the living room but my dad says that it’s "too dangerous". He is paranoid! If I try to sleep in the hallway, he says I’d be in the way if anyone needs to use the bathroom. WTF!! I just wanna sleep!!! They all know that I have to wake up at 5:20am to get to work cuz I start at 6:45am and it’s far. I'm sick of this!!!

Comment

i need to get away from my parents!!!!

Hello,
                          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you have a lot of responsibility in your household and would like your family members to be more appreciative.
                          It seems only fair that you be able to get the proper rest in order to maintain such a hectic schedule. You are to be commended for stepping up and doing all that you do to help your family.
                          NRS is here to help here to listen.

Perhaps you would like to contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org to talk more about your situations and what it is you were hoping we might help with?
                          We hope you at least feel better being able to vent your frustrations through our forum.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Take Care,
                          NRS

Comment

really

i am almost 17 and i live in missouri and my parents treaten to kill me everyday how would i beable to get taken away or out of there coustody

Comment

RE: really.

Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. Just know that we are always here to listen to you and help you in any way that we possibly can. From what you have stated in your post it sounds like you have been going through a very difficult time right now dealing with everything. You are certainly very brave to reach out to us during your time of need. No one deserves to be treated that way, especially at home where you are supposed to feel love and respect. You always have the right to report any abuse or threats to your local police department or child protective service in your state. If you don’t feel comfortable with filing a report against your parent(s), you can always call us anytime you want. There is always someone here to help you.

Now reporting them to child protective services isn’t something that is going to take away their rights or guardianship over you right away. The way that it works is that once you report the abuse, they will take a look at your case and decided whether or not they want to pick up the case. If they don’t feel like this something to look into, unfortunately they will leave it as that. On the other hand if they feel that the reports of abuse are serious or a danger to the youth’s health, they will choose to investigate. This means that they will come to your parents’ house and do an interview and get an assessment of the situation. It is then when they decided if you will need to be removed from the home and rights taken away from your parents. So it’s certainly a bit of a process to go through.

If you feel that your life is in danger and that you feel very unsafe living with you parents, you can feel free to reach out to your local police. They will be able to come over to your house to check up on things and make sure everything is going okay. If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org).

Comment

I need to get away from my parents

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X