i need to get away from my parents!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help

Right now , my parents are going through a rough divorce. Im 16 years of age, and in the state of Arizona i can choose which parent i want to be with. In the start i believed my dad was the best Path. But he struggles with being an occasional violent alcoholic, while my mother is both emotionally and physically abusive to both me and my sister.
    problem is, im almost certain neither of my parents would approve an emancipation.
    considering im 16, i dont want to live the life of an orphan for my last two years of being a teen. I have a place to go , i just dont know what to do!!

Comment

i need to get away from my parents!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for posting again.

We understand the seriousness of your situation and would be happy to speak with you about possible options.
      Please call our 24hr crisis line at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or visit www.1800Runaway.org to live chat with NRS.
      The NRS live chat is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) 7 days a week.

Thanks again for contacting NRS.
      Take Care
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Help

I want to run away my parents hurt me so much they tell me awful thing like I'm ugly, a waste of time, that I should kill myself, and etc. I don't know what to do anymore I can't take this anymore they never pick me up from my activites so most times I'm waiting at least 2 hrs after it ends sometimes more and I just want to get away from them please help

Comment

re: Help

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out this morning. It’s clear that you’re going through so much with your parents right now. You absolutely never deserve to be talked to that way. You deserve to be in a place where you are supported and valued for the person that you are. You are not a waste of time and it’s wrong from your parents to say that to you. It’s understandable that you’re feeling so overwhelmed. So let’s see how we can help you out.

You mentioned that you are trying to get away from them. It’s a difficult situation to be in because if you decide to leave, there might be some consequences (like the police could force you back, or how your parents might respond to you coming back home). In the same way, if you decide to stay there might be some consequences (like having to continue to deal with your parents). Thinking through the pros and cons might be a good next step for you.

We have a whole database of resources where we can look to see if there is a place nearby to you where you could go stay for a couple nights. A break from your parents might be helpful. We have a database and you can also check out www.nationalsafeplace.org to see if there is a safe place you could go. (Click on your state in the upper right corner).

Getting some feedback about your plan and your ideas to make things better can also be a good step. Making a list of all the people who you trust and who you can talk to about things can be helpful. Deciding to leave or to stay, and figuring out what can be different, can be difficult to do on our own. Reaching out to as many supports as you have could be good.

Count us among your supports too. You can call us 24 hours a day (1-800-RUNAWAY) or chat with us from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time at www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Take me away

I'm 16 from San Antonio Texas and I want to leave my parents. They are always complaining that everything is my fault and I'm tired if it I want to leave and be taken away to a foster house or something. I have a younger brother that is always doing something bad and they blame it on me saying I'm teaching it to him. I'm tired and if I don't get to be taken away I'm running away

Comment

re: Take me away

Hey there,

We are glad you reached out to us, it sounds like you are in a difficult situation and we will try to support you the best we can tonight. We are sorry to hear that your parent’s are always complaining that everything is your fault, it is understandable that you would be tired of it. It looks like you are also in a tough situation with your younger brother, and we are sorry to hear that your parents are blaming his bad behavior on you, and that they think you are teaching it to him.

It sounds like you are considering leaving home, and that can be a tough decision to make. It is a hard spot to be in when your parents are saying everything is your fault. Generally speaking, parents are responsible for youth until they turn 18, and you cannot be removed from the home unless your local Child Protective Services believe you are in an abusive situation, and that removing you from the home would be the safest and only option. If you feel as if you are in an abusive situation we can explore filing an abuse report as an option.

While we are not legal experts, we can continue to speak generally on your situation. If you choose to leave home without your parents’ permission they do have the option of filling a runaway report. Running away is a status offense, meaning it is illegal to do because of your age, but it is not brought to the courts. One thing to consider is that anyone who you are staying with could get in trouble and charged with harboring a runaway which is a misdemeanor offense. Running away is a tough decision, so here are a couple questions you can ask yourself as you continue to think about this option:

• What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
              • What would make me stay home?
              • How will I survive?
              • Is running away safe?
              • Who can I count on to help me?
              • Have I given this enough thought?
              • What are my other options?
              • If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
              • When I return home, what will happen?

We are glad you reached out to us online tonight, and we are here to support you during this time. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and it is understandable you would feel this way. The best way to reach us is to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY were you can remain confidential and anonymous, and we are available 24/7. You can also reach us through our email or bulletin service, and during the available chat services times from 4:30PM to 11:30PM.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

I need to get away from my mom

I cant live with her anymore she drives me insaine to the point of me wanting to hurt her. Its affecting my grades my realationships and me personaly. I need to leave for her safty, and mine i dont know what to do

Comment

RE: I need to get away from my mom

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things at home are extremely tense right now, and we are sorry to hear that you are feeling so overwhelmed that they are affecting you in many ways. We are wondering if you have thought about some coping skills or other ways that can help with these angry feelings and thoughts toward your mom or if you have support from friends, other family members, or someone at school such as a counselor or a trusted adult. We are here to also help you explore some ways to keep you and your mom safe. You mentioned wanting to leave not just to keep yourself safe but to keep her safe which shows that regardless of the tension, you care quite a bit about her. While you are thinking about leaving, you also seem to be feeling stuck with what to do. If you ever needed someone to speak with to help with any overwhelming feelings you may have or to explore your options, we are here to listen and to help. We hope that you consider calling our crisis line to speak with someone about what you are going through. We look forward to your call.

Be safe and take care,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I need to get away from my parents!!!!

My mom and dad drive me crazy, they don't want to listen to what I have to say, they don't take me anywhere, they only care about themselves, when I'm in pain they dont give two flying f****, and I self harm myself because no one cares, I want to have a new life, I'm always depressed and they don't even care and they wonder why I don't have any friends!!!!

Comment

RE: I need to get asway from my parents!!!!

Thanks for reaching out to us and it sounds like you’re feeling like your parents aren’t really there for you. That can be really frustrating and we’re sorry that you’re having to deal with that. You also mentioned that you’re dealing with some depression and self harm. Sometimes it can help to talk to someone about these things and if it’s not a counselor, therapist or trusted adult, you can also check out www.twloha.org or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org for some helpful resources and people to talk to about some of these things. You also mentioned that you’re wanting to get away from your parents. If you decide to leave, some questions to consider could be: Where do I plan on going? Do I have a plan? Is it safe? Is leaving my only option? What are my other options? Can I talk to anyone about all this?

It may also help to try to have a conversation with your parents about how you’re feeling. If you don’t feel good doing it by yourself, you can always bring in someone to advocate for you, or you can call us and we can help to mediate an exchange between the two of you.

If you need to talk more about everything that’s been going on, get more resources or just need someone to listen, we are always here. Again, we’re really sorry about everything that’s been going on and you don’t deserve to be treated like that.

Comment

I need help

Im 16 years old i live with my sister and her boyfriend and my 6 year old niece. I need to get her off my legal guardianship because she's verbally and emotionally abusive she has her good days but most of them are bad she yells at me her and. Her boyfriend sell weed i just don't wanna be here any more i can never come to her and talk to her about my problems i just need to get out of here i dont really care where i know i cant stay with her

Comment

Re: I need help

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing your personal story about your current situation. Sometimes asking for help is not easy, but we are glad you have reached out today. We are sorry to hear you have been going through such a hard time. It sounds like you feel like the living arrangement with your sister is not the most ideal for you. You definitely do not deserve to be emotionally and verbally abused by anyone, much less your sister.

One option would be reaching out to a friend and telling them more about your situation and what you’ve been going through. Sometimes having a support system can help tremendously. It also might be a good idea to maybe seek some help out at school if you are currently in school. There are guidance counselors you can reach out to or a teachers. In your email you mentioned emotional and verbal abuse and even possibly illegal behavior. If you were to reach out to an adult at school they might be able to help you with the current situation you are in. Having a support network could also be helpful if you ever feel unsafe. They could help provide you with the appropriate support you may be in need of. Furthermore, telling an adult at school about your current situation could maybe help change your situation.

Again, we are glad you reached out and we are sorry to hear you are going through a rough time. It definitely takes a lot to ask for help and you are definitely taking a positive step in trying to better the situation that you are in. If you would like to talk more about what has been going on please feel free to call or chat with us at any time. We are here to listen and to help.

Comment

For A Friend

As stupid as you may think I sound, I am legitimately here because of my best friend's situation.
                            Her parents have some... mental problems and have had trouble in the past with abuse. Her biological father left when she was about five, I met her when we were eleven. At the time, CPS was giving them therapy, and it was working. Yay.
                            Then Middle School came around. (I'll call her Daisy for now) Daisy (without anyone knowing) was being badly bullied (it was a BAD school) and began... hurting herself. When I finally found out, it was after she went missing. Turns out that she was under suicide watch at the local mental hospital.
                            so.... More therapy!
                            Her mom was physically abusive. Her step dad has a paranoia disorder thingy. And it's all coming back.
                            So why am I here?
                            Daisy told me about a week ago she is thinking (she's done it before, but this time she's actually making plans) that she's going to move in with her older sister.
                            How can she get away from her parents?? I mean, it's bad. Really bad. Everyone (that knows, meaning - her sisters, me and my parents... a couple other friends...) knows that she NEEDS to get away. But how? We're all so... afraid for her.
                            (Oh, and me and Daisy are 400 miles apart.... yup.)
                            Thanks for the help!

Comment

i need to get away from my parents!!!! (A Friend)

Hello,

Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
                              We can appreciate your friend’s situation it sounds like she has been through a stressful time.
                              For the record we do not see your concern for your friend as something stupid. It’s very noble of you to be concerned and want to help in some way. She is fortunate to have someone like you supporting her.
                              It sounds like she is planning to live with her sister and if that is the case they might consider seeking legal counsel about arranging a permanent solution that will keep her safe and help her get support services to help her to cope with all that she has had to deal with.
                              How are you doing?

It must be difficult being so far away from a friend in need.
                              We hope that there is someone you can go to for support where you can find a listening ear.
                              You can pass along our 24hr crisis hotline number to your friend and feel free to call NRS on your own.
                              The Number is 1-800-Runaway (786-2929)
                              You can also reach out to NRS via www.1800Runaway.org and sign into our live chat session.
                              How does that sound?

We hope that your friend is doing better and that she is able to be in a safe environment.

Take care and good luck.
                              NRS

Comment

Dylan

Hi,im 16 and i want to move out of my moms house and in with a different family member. Me and my mom have got serious issues and i want to move out and do my own thing. She says that i cant and that if i run away ill go to a DJJ. I live in Florida and would like help on getting out of my moms house. My dad is in prison so im stuck with my mom.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X