Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Help!?

Hello,

Thank you for writing into the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. It sounds like you’re going through a very rough time right now. You definitely don’t have to be treated that way. Especially when you’re at home; a place that is supposed to be a safe and loving place for you. You always have the right to report any abuse to your local police department or child protective service in your state. If you don’t feel comfortable doing that on your own or if you might not know how to do that, you can always call us anytime you want. There is always someone here to help you if you choose to go down that path.

You mentioned that you might have some family members that you are thinking about staying with to get away from the abuse. Are the family members that you are thinking of, people that you have talked to about the abuse that you have been going through? I know that you have mentioned you cannot talk to your parents or any other adult, so perhaps talking to these family members (i.e cousins that are close in age) might help you come up with ideas on what you can do. During these times of mental/verbal/emotional abuse, what kinds of things do you normally do to help yourself cope with those feelings?
    From what you have told us it sounds like one of the ways that you are thinking about doing is run away from home. It sounds like you have been thinking about it a lot if you already planned to stay with family members. What do you think your overall plan is (i.e how long would you be able to stay, transposition, financial stability, school options, etc)?

Once again thank you for writing into the NRS, we are always here to listen and here to help you with everything we can. You can also call into our 24hour hotline (1.800.RUNAWAY) for a more immediate response, as well as connect you to some resources that we might have on hand. Another service that we offer here at the NRS is our chat room which is offered from 4:30pm to 11:30pm/CST (www.1800RUNAWAY.org). If you feel more comfortable with that opinion we are more than welcome to contact us through there.

Look forward to talking with you and best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I need love

My mother she get mad over the little things she want her hand on me and she love call me out my name then try be cool with me then go back put her hand on me then go to her boyfriend house then come back when she want to forget us. My dad he ask like bipolar and do drug and drink with thing girl don't really care about me just spend the money on drugs and beer and sometimes put hand on me. I just need to get away from them.
      Last edited by ccsmod2; 07-27-2014, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Re: I need love

Hello,

Wow, it sounds like you are going through a very, very tough time with your family right now. We are really sorry to hear that you are being mistreated and neglected by both your parents. That’s just not right and you don’t deserve to be treated like that. But you do have options. We are here to help.

One thing you can do is file a report with your state’s child protective services division. Basically this is an “abuse report.” If you call us we can file a report for you if you’d like. Or we can provide you the number and you can file the report yourself. It’s totally up to you whether or not you want to do this, though. We never tell anyone what to do.

Additionally, you may want to talk with someone you trust regarding what is going on -- maybe another family member, teacher, counselor, pastor, or just a good friend. You need all the support you can get right now.

We’d like to help further but we would like more information about your situation. Can you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (800-786-2929)? We are totally confidential and anonymous and are here 24/7. We are a safe place to talk. We can help you find a safe place to stay if that’s what you need or we can try to help you figure out what your best options are. We also have Live Chat available on our website between 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Time. Live Chat can be entered through the main page of our website: it’s the red button at the upper right-hand side.

Phone or chat, we’d love to hear from you. We want to help!

Good luck,
        NRS
        Last edited by ccsmod2; 07-27-2014, 04:46 PM.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I Need to Get Away From My Mom

Ever since I was little my mom has treated me terribly. I was automatically close to my father as a child, and during that time my mom aggressively hated his guts, due to their divorce when I was 8 months, and so she would sometimes yell at me more than necessary because she was angry that I was closer with my dad. That of course just pushed me away more, and when her and my stepdad had two children together they took up her time and the rest of her marbles. I remember being yelled at all the time, and she slapped me when I couldn't swallow a pill at 9 years old. I would lay in bed crying, trying to prove to myself how I am not related to my mother. And now, when I'm almost 16, it's worse than ever. She and my stepdad have been fighting in person and over the phone and through their lawyers since eighth grade, due to their divorce and splitting up-- the cops even showed up twice back then. It's all she ever talks about, and tells me about how we are going to have to move, when that is the last thing I need with all my honors and AP class(s); all my friends (and my boyfriend) are here, I'm very involved in the band, and I've had depression since 5th grade, even became more suicidal in middle school. But although my mental state is better as of late, she makes it very difficult for me to be happy or do anything. She is always stressing and causing me to stress, making me do chores whether I'm sick from school or in need of doing homework, and she is the most childish, crazy, terrible person I have ever met. The friends I have that have known me since I was young all hate her and think she is crazy because of how she acts and treats me, and my dad doesn't even know what to do about it anymore because he knows our relationship is awful. I have frequently thought of running away, but I want to be at school. But I can't go to a friend's house for awhile because she will make me come back. I can't go to my dads because she would be even more upset, and possibly even accuse dad of kidnapping me and/or call the police. Plus he doesn't live in the same school district so if anything legal happened where he became my sole guardian, I would have to go to a different school. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Comment

RE: I need to get away from my mom

Hello,

We are so sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like you have been through so much. Despite all the hardship that you have been through you sound extremely resilient, driven, and insightful. It seems that you are dealing with a lot of really difficult issues, and you mentioned some of the barriers that have kept you from leaving (friends, your schoolwork, the legal repercussions). What are some ways that you have been dealing with the stress and difficulties at home.

Have you considered going to individual or family counseling? That might be something to consider so that you and your mother can communicate openly and in a safe supportive environment. What are some other things that you have done or you think would be beneficial for you? We are here to support you in any way that we can. Please feel free to call our 24-hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or you can contact us via our online chat service at 1800runaway.org (4:30 PM-11:30 CST). We look forward to hearing from you!

Comment

Can you help?

My mom is very abusive towards me mentally and emotionally and lately has been physical many times. Ive called the cops twice but both times they never do anything about it. This last time which was a little under a month ago the cops finally got CPS involved. But CPS hasn't done anything yet. I was sick this morning and didn't wake up so my mom left me with no transportation to school. When i finally woke up I got ready and had to walk to school in the pouring down rain and it felt like winter temperatures. She now is going to the court tomorrow to make me a ward of the court and this looks bad on my part especially for school in the future because I'm trying to become a lawyer. My grades at school are all A's and I have someone who would take me in a heartbeat but he doesn't have any rights to me because my dad won't sign them over even though he is a felon and on probation right now. I'm 15 and I just need a way to get out of here. is there anything i could do?

Comment

Re: Can you help?

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a lot lately and we are sorry to hear about all of this. It has got to be really tough to being treated this way by your mom. We are here to help you out the best that we can.

You mentioned that your mom has been emotionally and physically abusive towards you. No one deserves to be abused in any way. It sounds like Child Protective Services has gotten involved at this point. It is great to know that you have been taking steps on your own to make changes with how you are being treated. You do not deserve to be abused by anyone.

It sounds like you are a great student and that is something to be proud of. Is there anyone in your life that you are close to that you can talk to more about everything that has been going on? You have been dealing with so much, how have you been coping? You shared with us that there is someone that would take you in but your dad will not sign over rights to him. It is good to know that you have support from someone and they are willing to help you out, even though it is unfortunate that he has not been given rights.

It sounds like you really want to get out of your home and it is understandable. Have you explored the option of emancipation at all? If you were to become emancipated, you would be able to legally live where you wanted and you would be considered a legal adult. We are not legal experts here, but generally speaking we know that you need to be able to financially support yourself in order to become emancipated. If you would like to talk more about emancipation, your situation or explore any other options we are here 24/7 to talk. Our line is anonymous and confidential at 1800runaway. We also have a chat option available 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST through our website at 1800runaway.org.

Good luck and stay safe,
                https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I need to get away from my mother. She is emotionally abusive and its really getting out of control. My mother constantly calls me a selfish ********** and wears me down. I personally do not believe that i am a selfish person. I help out around the house and when money is short i help with groceries and other needs. I will be eighteen next week, and i would love to move out. However there are issues such as i don't have a car so getting to and from work would be a pain, i have friends who are willing to let me stay at their house but i would NEED a car before i did anything. My other concern is that my little sisters would become her target after me. She is a very mean person when shes upset, and likes to point out our flaws and slam them in our face. She has beaten my little sister before over very small things, and she's hurt the dogs as well. I feel like i would be selfish if i left and just left them there with her. But its not like i can do anything about it, i dont do anything now but bite my tongue and just wait for the storm to pass. She'll just have one less child to bully. I really need advice on what to do.

Comment

RE: i need to get away from my parents!!!!

Thank you so much for reaching out to us about what you are dealing with. This sounds like a tough situation you are in and it also sounds like you care a lot about your little sisters as well as yourself. We just want let you know that it's not your fault that your mom does these things You do have the right to report the abuse that is happening with your little sister. We're really happy you decided to reach out to us and hope we can help you with finding options in regards to this. Would you feel comfortable calling our hotline to talk about what's going on with your mom, your little sisters and you leaving and what that would look like for you? We are 24/7 confidential and anonymous if that's something you would like to do.

Comment

I need to get away

I just turned 16 on nov 9th. I dont talk to my dad what so ever anymore since over a year ago, and my mom is honestly the spawn of satan. Shes emotionally abusive, over controlling, and honestly she's just a **********. My boyfriend is 17 and his moms such a helpful and caring mom, and they're okay with me staying there. I almost ran away today but with my future on my mind i didnt. I dont think i can take it much longer here, but i dont think emotionally abusive is a good enough reason for getting emancipated. Please help, i cant handle living here anymore.

Comment

re: I need to get away

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing what you’re going through. It sounds like things have become really overwhelming. You absolutely don’t deserve to be talked to in a way that makes you feel less than. You deserve to be valued and supported and celebrated. It sounds like you have some support around you in your boyfriend and his family. It also seems like you’re working on putting together a plan so that you can be safe and that you can focus on what matters to you. That’s really smart. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

It sounds like you’re thinking through some things that could happen if you left home. It’s important to think through what could happen and what consequences you might face if you did decide to leave – and it seems like that’s something that you’ve done already. If running is too much of a risk, what are some things that you can do to make living with your mom more bearable? Sometimes thinking through compromises that you might be able to make can be a good next step. (for example, spending the weekend with your boyfriend’s family, spending two weekends a month with another family member). It sounds like you really want to get out of the house, but with your mom’s permission. Compromising might be one way to get what you’re looking for.

You did mention emancipation and it could be an option. It almost always requires the consent or at least participation of your guardian in the process. Usually the court would want to see that you are able to care for yourself (financially and academically) and then if you are declared emancipated you would gain the rights of an adult (live where you want, be able to enroll yourself in school, sign a lease, etc). If emancipation is something that you are interested in, the first step is usually contacting a lawyer.

We are here 24 hours a day to talk through more options, to listen to what you’re going through and to discuss more about lawyers and how to move forward with emancipation. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and anonymous. If you aren’t able to call, you chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

Happy birthday btw!

We look forward to your call or chat.

Good luck to you,

NRS

Comment

Recently my mother and i fell under poverty. She had gotten diagnosed with breast cancer and is actually getting better but all she does is complain complain complain. All she ever did before this was complaining. Its sucks. I want to get away from her. Itd be easier on her since she barley as money to feed me. We dont even have a house we're homeless so the little money she gets could go toward somewhere for her to live. She is physically abusive and verbally abusive, and im sick and tired of it. She always yells and trys and take what little i have and makes it her number ome priority to ruin my life. I honestly cannot wait until im 18 to leave i need to leave now.

Comment

re:

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing some of your story with us. It sounds like you and your mom are going through a lot right now. It can be really difficult to deal with cancer and it can really affect the family. We’re sorry to hear that your mom is hurting you too. You absolutely, no doubt do not deserve to be treated that way. It’s understandable that you want to leave because it seems like you want to protect yourself. It also seems like you’re working toward getting to a safer place in your life and to a place where you feel supported. It’s great that you’re reaching out. So let’s see how we can help you out tonight.

It’s pretty kind of you to want to leave so that your mom is able to care for herself more, but the thing is, is that she is legally responsible for you until you turn 18. You have the right to a safe place to live and that is what you deserve. There are supports out there that can help your mom and you get into a safe place. A lot of times, schools will have support for students who are experiencing homelessness (also churches and community centers).

You also mentioned that you’re being hurt at by your mom. No excuses, you don’t deserve that. One option you have is to reach out to people around you and share with them what is going on. You also have the right to make an abuse report and get the support that you deserve. You can call Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 if you have questions about making a report or want help doing that.

You also said that you’re thinking about leaving. There might be some places nearby to you where you can go and stay for a little while. Check out www.nationalsafeplace.org and click on your state in the upper right corner to see if there’s anything around. You can also call us and we can help you put together a plan and a way to be safe if you decide to leave.

You can reach us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and anonymous. If you aren’t able to call, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you through this time,

NRS

Comment

I don't want my parents anymore

Please help im a sophomore in high school & I really don't want to live with my parents anymore! I hate being around them im not able to do anything!My dad is constantly bothering me & telling me negative things! A few months ago my dad supposedly slapped me but it felt hard! He had punched me & left me with a bruise! My mom knew about it & didn't bother to do anything! I don't trust them not even a bit! My mom I've never had a great relationship with her we clash she is always yelling im tired of it.
                              Is there anything I can do? I dont want to be with them anymore.

Comment

Re: I don't want my parents anymore

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a lot at home and we are sorry to hear about everything that has been happening. We are here to help you out the best we can.

So it sounds like you have been punched and slapped by your dad. How often does this happen? You do not deserve to be abused by any one in any way. We want to let you know it is your right to make a report. Have you ever thought about doing this? If you would like to talk more about what that would look like, or if you would like help making one, you can call us any time to talk through it at 1800runaway. Our hotline is 24/7.

You said that your mom knows about this and does not do anything, and that your relationship with her is not too great. This has got to make things at home more difficult to deal with. Is there anyone else living at home? Is there anyone else that you trust that you can talk to about all of this? It sounds like you do not want to be at home with them anymore which is understandable given everything that has been going on. Have you ever thought about family counseling? Sometimes it can be helpful to talk things through with an unbiased third party facilitating the conversation.

You shared that you do not want to live with your parents anymore, and we want to let you know that we are not legal experts here but generally speaking if you leave home before the age of 18 (in most states), your legal guardians have the right to make a runaway report. If they make a report, and the police find you, they just bring you back home. What would need to change at home to make you want to stay?

We are here to talk anytime. If you would like to explore your situation further, would like specific resources or just need someone to listen, 1800runaway is anonymous and confidential. You can also join us on chat from the hours of 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST, which can be accessed through our website at 1800runaway.org.

Good luck and stay safe,
                                NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X