No announcement yet.

i need to get away from my parents!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to get away from my mom and my dad lives in a different state. I want to run away but where is the best place to go?

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there -

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. Because we do get a large number of post on our forum, we do have to limit email replies to three individual responses to answer any questions that you have or to provide you with a number of means of support. So it’s certainly not a means to communicate to get the full support that you can get if you called in. We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do. We just want you to know your options and with whatever you choose that you’re safe and not on the streets.

It sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to go if you do end up leaving home. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse. We certainly want to help you. If you give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution to the issues you are having. We would love to talk to you.

Hope to hear from you soon!

• My mom drives me crazy and I can't stand it if I could I world get away.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It definitely sounds as though you are having a tough time and you just want to get away. We are here to provide non-judgmental support and resources, where necessary.
      It might be easiest if you are able to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY so we can have a dialogue about what is making you feel this way. All of our calls are confidential and anonymous. If you are not comfortable calling NRS then you can certainly go to our website for a live chat. Our website is www.1800runaway.org This may be the best option to consider at this time since, once we have a little more background on what is going on, we can provide you with some options and resources to consider. Otherwise, it might be helpful to share your situation with a school counselor or even a close friend, in an effort to obtain some direction as to what you can do to make things better.
      We are here 24/7 and our goal is to keep you safe. If you feel that your safety is in jeopardy then you can always call 911. We look forward to hearing from you and we would love to help you out in any way possible. Good luck with everything!

• I'm 16 and my dad died when I was 12 and my mom had a stroke last year when I was 14 my uncle and aunt took custody over me but they are emotionaly abusive and I dont want to live here nor can I take the pain they give me I want to move back to colorado where I used to live before my mom had a stroke and if my moms old friend wants to go to court for me where do I start how can I get outta here?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-08-2017, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Reply: Im 16 and my dad died when i was 12

Hello,
      Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are sorry for your loss and for the illness of your mother.
      It sounds like you have suffered emotional abuse from your aunt and uncle, it has gotten to the point it seems unbearable. Some situations can be hurtful and even upsetting thus making things uncertain about what to do or where to turn
      We understand and we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.

If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.

Again tell us what it is you would like us to help you with and we will be happy to explore some options with you.
      NRS is here to listen and here to help.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• My parents are asking too much of me AND ITS SUMMER it's driving me mad They pile things higher than high it's self

Comment

• Reply: My parents are asking too much of me

Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          Some situations can become frustrating and even upsetting thus making things uncertain about what to do or where to turn.
          We understand and we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.

Again tell us what it is you would like us to help you with and we will be happy to explore some options with you.
          NRS is here to listen and here to help.
          We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• I need help getting out of my house. My step dad drinks a lot and my mom and him both cuss at me there not nice people my step dad has choked me and thrown up against a wall I don't have pictures but I'm always so afraid to come home I'm 16 and I turn 17 in October. Please I need help. I have a family I could possibly live with
            Last edited by ccsmod10; 08-27-2017, 10:16 PM. Reason: IDENTIFYING INFO

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you have been through so much at home with your stepdad and mom. You do not deserve to be harmed in anyway. It is so not okay that your stepdad has choked you and thrown you up against the wall, and they both cuss at you. You do have the right to report abuse at home to child protective services. You mentioned that you do not have pictures that could help you if you decide to report. That is okay, you still have the right to report. If you know anyone who has witnessed the abuse, that is another way to possibly prove the abuse. You might call the reporting experts at Child Help to explore your reporting options 1-800-422-4453. You can also call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are interested in reporting. You should be able to be safe at home. Please call 911 if you feel like you are in immediate danger.

You mentioned that you have a family you could live with. That is great! The easiest way you can leave home at 16/17 is with permission from your guardian. You might have the adult you plan to live with talk to your guardian to see if that is an option. Aside from permission, if you did report to child protective services and they find the abuse to be highly dangerous you would be removed from your home. Also depending on your state's laws, you might be able to go through the emancipation process. That is court process where you would prove that you are financially self-sufficient without the assistance of your parents, and generally better off without there care.

Typically the legal age you can leave home without permission is 18. So if you left home without permission, your parents could file a runaway report for you with your local police. If you are found, you typically would be returned home.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us so we can provide support and help try to brainstorm additional options for you. Your safety is our top priority and we truly want to help.

Best of luck,

NRS

• Hello.. I am a 13 year old daughter, almost 14, I have a younger sister and a baby brother just recently born.

And truthfully, I've been needing to do this for a long time. But I was just too scared to.

My father is very hard on me. He verbally abuses me all the time, and I can't take it anymore. I've gained anxiety and depression from it, and when I get angry, I feel like I can't control myself, and I either break things, or add another dent into my bedroom wall, or inflict myself with harm. Music mostly helps, but recently it's gotten so bad I can't handle it.

My mom doesn't do anything about it. She just watches.

Usually what he does is threaten me like he's gonna knock me out or give me physical harm, and he corners me against a wall. He would tell me I'm nothing, worthless, a b*tch, and he would just let my emotions down. So basically once I get home from school I shut myself in my room and practically never leave from it until morning for school, and the cycle continues. But I still can't get away from him. It feels like I can't do anything anymore. Like im wasting my life. I keep telling myself I can get through 5 more years, but I admit, I can't.

Sometimes, I think, if I'm just going to sit in my room for my entire childhood, what would I be in the future as an adult? Should I wait to see?

Ive never reported before, because I love my family. I think they spoil me, and if i get my dad in trouble, who will I go with to concerts with?

I don't know anymore.

Please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello there,
              Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out like you did. We want to let you know we think you’re very brave for taking charge of a situation that seems so difficult to deal with. You don’t deserve to be treated this way. It sounds scary and it sounds potentially dangerous.
              We’re not here to tell you if reporting what is happening to you is the best option. You know your situation best. It sounds like you’re very conflicted. That’s ok. Sometimes it’s hard when someone is important to you but is also treating you in a way that isn’t ok. If you wanted to find out more about abuse reporting in general, please visit www.childhelp.org. If you wanted help filing that abuse report, or you simply would like to anonymously ask questions to someone who works for Child Protective Services, you could call here and we’d be happy to call the abuse reporting hotline in your state for a conference call. You could just ask questions about the process or you could file a report. It’s completely up to you.
              Sometimes having a space to vent can be a great help. We can be there for that too. It might also help to reach out to a family friend or someone at school that you trust, like a counselor or teacher. Having support can go a long way in coping with all that is happening to you at home.
              Again, we’re not here to tell you what to do. But if you wanted to talk about support in your life or other options that you might not have thought of, we’re here 24/7. We’re confidential too. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you feel like you’re in physical danger, please call 911.
              Stay safe,
              NRS

• Hi I'm 16 I live in a shelter it's hard to be with my mom because it's very hard to deal with her anger and I don't like when she takes her anger out on me she did it since I've been 12 and I don't know if I can late two more years before doing something to hurt myself

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We’re so sorry to hear that you’re dealing with this and have been for a while. You don’t deserve to have someone else’s anger taken out on you. Have you talked to anyone else about what has been going on? That is a lot of stress to deal with, and you’re so strong for not only dealing with it, but reaching out to talk about it. If you have any other adults in the shelter that you trust, would you feel comfortable talking to one of them about the situation with your mother? We also offer mediated conference calling here at NRS, which has been helpful for other youth in similar situations as yourself. You can always call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY! What happens during a conference call is you will call in and talk about some things you might want to bring up to your mother, but find difficult talking about with her. Then, when you’re comfortable, we will dial her in, and you can talk to her about what you want to share, while having a mediator on the line who is there for moral support. We wouldn’t share any information with her that you don’t consent to, and the majority of the call would be you two talking, but we stay on the line the entire time to be there for you and help focus the call, if needed. We hope that maybe one of these options would be helpful for you. We would love to talk more to you about what you’ve been going through, so please do feel free to call or online chat us. We’re here for you, and we want your situation to get better. Thank you again for reaching out, and we wish you the very best of luck.

• Hi I'm 16 and I live in Alabama and I live with my dad, sister, and younger brother. My mom left us a couple months back and i haven't seen her since. Without her the family came apart dad is to strict on us and has no leeway. We are always cleaning and I have to work and take care of the baby 24/7 I have no time for my friends or even myself. I'm in JROTC so I play on joining the military but I can't last the next 2 years like this because I can not stand living like a slave in my own house I rather die PLEASE HELP!!

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re going through a lot right now. We are here to listen and help you out. Know that your life is valuable and if you ever do really feel like hurting yourself you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
              You mentioned that since your mom left, your dad has been having you cleaning and taking care of your siblings a lot. This sounds like a stressful situation, especially if you don’t have time to see your friends or even take care of yourself. Having a parent leave can be a difficult situation for the whole family and leave a lot of different shoes to fill. Have you tried talking with your dad about how you are feeling? Sometimes this is a difficult thing to do. We at NRS are available to help you through that conversation by having a conference call with you and your dad. If not your dad, maybe there is someone else you feel comfortable talking to about the stress you are going through. Sometimes extended family members or teachers can be this resource for people, and we are always available to talk as well. You mentioned you are in JROTC, perhaps there is a mentor in your program you connect with and can talk to.
              We could also look into finding counseling services for your family, or just yourself. A counselor may be able to listen to what you’re feeling, or even help find your family some help around the house. Feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can see if we can find options in your area that may be a good fit.
              We are here 24/7 by phone, or through our live chat which is open every day from 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST.
              Best of luck!

• Im 17 living in cali. My moms the type to kick me out then threaten to file me as a runaway afterwards. She is emotionally abusive and used to be physically abusive. I try to helo around the house and take care of my sister but it usnt enough for her she takes everything out on me. She has a history of a drug oroblem and almost caused me to drop out of school because she made us homeless due to her problems. My dad is on the streets and has a drug problem and wants nothing to do with me. My bf is 19 and his mom is ok with me living there and is really nice. My dad also has laid his hand on me. I have proof of my mom kicking me out but there isnt much they said i can do. My stepmom will let me move in but doesnt want to get in trouble since my mom has called the cops on me as a runaway. What do i do i cant live with her shes an absolute monster shes been doing this for years....

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS! It sounds like you are in a really tough situation and we want to say that you are really brave for talking about what is going on. We are really sorry for what has been going on with your mom as you don’t deserve to be treated like that under any circumstance. We are going to talk about some options here but, if those don’t look to fit your situation or if you want to talk about some of these further feel free to call u at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
              It sounds like your mom has put you in a difficult situation where she has been abusing you as you said and kicking you out and manipulating you by saying you ran away after kicking you out. Kicking one’s youth out is considered neglect as they are legally responsible for the youth until they turn the age of adulthood, usually 18. We aren’t legal experts, but you are allowed to always make a report about being kicked out as that can be child abuse as it is neglect. We can always talk more about what reporting looks like and what it means if you give us a call but, Child Help is another great resource as well. They are the National Child Abuse Hotline and can answer many questions about what abuse is and how to report too. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453. If you think making a report is something you want to do, we can aid in making a report as we are mandated reporters but, if you want to talk confidentially we can do that if you don’t mention identifying factors like your name, your moms name, any addresses, etc. Again we are here 24/7 to talk and listen.
              We know you mentioned that you have a place to stay but, you are worried about leaving if your mom calls the police. If you are in a situation and feel you have to leave, you are allowed to do that. Running away isn’t illegal per say but, a status offense meaning you cant be arrested or put in jail. If your mom reports you as a runaway after kicking you out, you can tell the police that that has happened and that you are being abused and feel unsafe at home. They are also mandated reporters meaning they would have to reach out to Child Protective Services to involve them as well before returning you home. And if you do have to leave and your mom call the police and they come to pick you up, you can also tell them that as well. Again they would have to pass along what has been going on to CPS but, you are always allowed to make an abuse report before that occurs if you are comfortable.
              It does sound like you have been through a lot and reaching out is a really brave first step to take. Please don’t hesitate to call out to us any time if you need any other resources or just to talk and make a plan. We hope to hear from you soon!
              Best, NRS

• Hi I’m 16 and I live in Southern California.

I have a diagnosed deppressive disorder and anxiety problems. My parents grew up in a place and time, where having mental health issues were looked down on, and many people hid them from society. Therefore, they don’t believe in what my doctor has said/her wishes to medicate me. All that they have done was have me see a therapist, who has helped me, but not the same way that meds possibly could.

I used to be an extremely happy person before my parents forced me to go to a private school where I hardly have any friends, (all my friends go to public school), and before many personal unfortunate things happened to me.

My parents will not accept the fact that their own daughter is depressed. That their daughter is sad and is reaching out for help. That their daughter is so messed up in the mind, that she doesn’t even know the reason why she has a depressive disorder or is constantly sad and needs to be medicated.

I always knew that something was a little off about me and my happiness, ever since I was about 11 years old. With age, it has gradually gotten worse.

I want to run away to San Francisco, but that would never be a sane solution. I love my parents and want to keep in contact with them, but I also want to get away.

My biggest fear is that I’ll impulsively do something out of absolutely nowhere, like run away. And although i’ve never ever imagined hurting myself, I’m afraid that one day it could be pushed into that... I want to avoid that outcome at all costs, however.

WHAT DO I DO? please if anybody is out there, help me.

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you really care about your parents, but they don’t seem to understand your mental health issues. You deserve to seek treatment for your diagnosis regardless of the stigma behind it. You mentioned that you are afraid that one day you might hurt yourself, To Write Love on Her Arms (twloha.com) is a great resource for people that have thought of self harm.
              You stated that you would like to runaway having a plan to ensure your safety is important. Since you are 16, if you were to runaway your parents could file a runaway report on you. With a runaway report, if the police were to find you they would return you home. If you decided to leave home and stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway.
              Talking to your parents about how you feel could help to improve your relationship with them. Here at NRS, we offer conference calls between youth and their parents. This could be an opportunity for you to express yourself without interruption from your parents, and support from NRS. If you are interested in our conference call system, please call into our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929). Please feel free to contact us via email, or live chat if you have any additional questions or concerns.
              We wish you the best !
              - NRS

• Hi, I need to get away from my parents i mean yes they do things for me but 90% of the time they have made me felt like im no good and never good enough have even told me i was worthless. I need to get out.I am a 15 year old in north carolina and i have family in florida who can and have offered to support me if i can get away from them. is there anything i can do.

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello!
              Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It can be really frightening to reach out. It sounds like you’ve been dealing with a lot and have already found a potential solution and just need some help getting it realized.
              It’s important that you have a support system as strong as your family in Florida who are willing to help. One possibility would be investigating Traveler’s Aid which can provide you with money to buy a bus ticket. If you feel comfortable calling or messaging us and giving us your city we can look up possible Travel Aid resources. Looking at a phonebook or Googling could also potentially help.
              Lastly, while we are not legal experts, since you re under the age of 18 your parents could potentially file a Runaway Report with the police. If the police pick you up, while you won’t be arrested or face legal consequences, they will bring you back home. Additionally, your parents could decide to charge your family in Florida with harboring a runaway. This information may feel overwhelming, and that’s understandable, if you feel comfortable you can call or message us and we can discuss this further.
              Thank you again for reaching out. We’re 24/7 and confidential so feel free to use our number (18007862929) or chat services at www.1800runaway.org. Good luck!
              NRS

• My dad is driving me crazy. He tried to put me in a mental Constitution for nothing. He doesn't love me. I cut because of him, and he knows it. He doesn't care if I killed myself. I'm 13 and live in Iowa. What can I do?

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We appreciate you taking the time to visit our forum and post on it.

It sounds like you’re feeling like your dad isn’t there for you and is having a negative effect on you, and your mental health. That can be really frustrating and we’re sorry that you’re having to deal with that. You also mentioned that you’re dealing with suicidal thoughts and self-harm. Your life has worth, regardless of what your dad may say to you or make you feel. Sometimes it can help to talk to someone about these things and if it’s not a counselor, therapist or trusted adult, you can also check out www.twloha.org or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org for some helpful resources and people to talk to about some of these things. They both have online chat services if you’re not able to call into the hotlines, they are also open 24/7.

If you ever need help talking to your dad, you can always bring in someone to advocate for you. We also offer a conference calling service, you can call us and we can help to mediate an exchange between the two of you.

If you need to talk more about everything that’s been going on, get more resources or just need someone to listen, we are always here. Again, we’re really sorry about everything that’s been going on and you don’t deserve to be treated like that.

Be safe, NRS

• I need to get a way I am the middle child and gets treated like ******** my bed room has a whole in the floor and my house is nasty roaches and dog ******** every where

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear about the way that you have been treated at home. You don't deserve to be treated that way. Talking to someone about what you are going through may help. You could try talking to and adult that you trust such as a teacher, school counselor. You also have the option of contacting Child Protective Services. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource for reporting abuse and neglect, the experts there could also provide information about transferring custody. Another option that you may want to consider is asking your family if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. We hope this information helps, and we wish you the best of luck. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X