No announcement yet.

I need help, ASAP.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ccsmod7
    Re: I need help, ASAP.

    It sounds like you are dealing with a very difficult situation right now and we appreciate you reaching out to us and sharing a bit of your story. Things sound very heated between you and your mom right now and you mentioned that your mom actually got physical with you at some point. Is that something that has ever happened before? Does anyone else know about the situation? No one has the right to hurt or abuse you in any way and just so you know you have every right to tell someone what happened or even make a report with Child Protective Services. Here at the National Runaway Switchboard we are a completely confidential service but if we get certain information such as your name, address, phone number, abusers name we would be mandated to make a report.

    It also sounds like with everything that is going on at home you are wanting to leave. It’s understandable that you are frustrated with your situation, especially if you don’t feel safe at home. What do you think your mom would do if you left? Do you think she would get the police involved? In most states the age of majority, when you are considered an adult, is 18. However, there are many states (sometimes it depends on the city or county) that have discrepancies between the age of majority and the age a youth is considered a runaway. For example, we often hear that while the legal age of majority is 18, at 17 the local police no longer take runaway reports or make the youth return home if they leave without permission. Contacting your local police in regards to this may be a good option to find out what the laws are in your specific county. When talking to the police, it's best to ask questions such as:

    *At what age is a youth no longer considered a runaway?
    *If a 17 y/o leaves home without permission, do you still take a runaway report?
    *If yes: what happens if/when that youth is found?

    It’s good to hear that you have a support in your friend in California and that you do have a safe place to go if you decide to leave. We are sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much at home right now and want you to know that you can always reach out and use us as a resource as well. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth you can always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are a completely confidential hotline that is available 24 hours a day. We also have several online services available through our website including our live chat that is currently available from 4:30p to 10:00p CST. There is always someone available to provide support, discuss options, and even look up resources in your area. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care.

    Leave a comment:

  • Unregistered
    Guest started a topic I need help, ASAP.

    I need help, ASAP.

    So, I'm going through some problems at home, and I really want to get out. I'm 17 years old and will be turning 18 on May 10th. I did something wrong, at home, and got in trouble. Granted, it was stupid, and I made a bad mistake, but I didn't deserve my punishment; I was hit and slapped and bit in the face by my mother, after she verbally harrassed me. She is still harrassing me in a few different ways, and I am getting tired of it. I want to go and live with my best friend and her father, who live in California. I live in Texas. My mom is claiming that she's moving out next friday, but I can't be so sure. So, would it be possible if I could move in with her with a bit of legal action, or, if possible, no legal action? I'm tired of the abuse. She claims it was because I "smartmouthed" her, but i don't think I did, and either way I do not believe she can hit me. I have pictures saved of all the bruises on my face.

    Thank you,

    [name taken out for confidentiality]
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp