No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about running away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking about running away in only just a teen 13. I mean it's like my parents want me to be perfect when I cant. I'm not athletic i don't get straight A's and they help at me for it. I'm not nearly as perfect as my brother or sister so I just wonder why can't I be me. I don't w ant to be them i just want to be me unlike my parents. The thoughts are now so I pay for food water and shelter. I'm not sure what to do I just want some advice I guess.

Comment

My mom constantly takes my brothers side on everything. Im sick of it. Not only that but she calls me a ********** and a freak for not liking my brother, I cant live here anymore. My grandparents are weird and I've planned it all out so why shouldnt I go? I'm waiting till my 14th birthday and asking for money and my friend is letting me stay at her house away from here. I've talked to my friend and shes coming with me. So is my dog we both hate our lives. I"m really considering this. Thoughts?
      Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-23-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Reply: My mom constantly takes my brothers side

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You don’t deserve to be called names and it is not fair that this has happened.
        You are not to blame for your mother’s behavior.
        The situation has reached a level of frustration that has you feeling like leaving is one of your only options. We understand things can feel overwhelming and it’s hard to figure out what to do about it.
        We are here as support to help through this challenging time. You are welcome to contact us and talk in a safe environment about your situation. This might give you a chance to go over your plan or maybe explore some other options for change.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
        You did a very good thing reaching out today.

Take care,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hello there
          I am a fourteen year old girl who can not stand living in my area currently, my family is unbearable to live with and I can't take it much longer. I have thought about this for awhile, get money and go as far as I can with that money. When I do run out of money the area in which I did is where I would settle and possibly get a job.

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. You stated that you had intentions of getting a job - it may be difficult to do as a minor. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
            NRS

I am thinking of running away because my home life is so miserable. I have depression and my family doesn’t understand it and thinks I’m crazy. They are so mentally abusive and have made my depression skyrocket. Even though I have been working so hard on my own to get out of my depression... My family constantly knocks me down. They scream at me about everything.. They call my crazy, a liar, etc. We moved into a tiny RV with 4 people and 3 dogs and 4 cats, one cat being pregnant .. And I’m claustrophobic and slightly allergic to cats I just can’t breathe or move and I have constant panic attacks from all of the stress ... I want to run away but idk where to go or what to do .. But I feel like the stress is going to give me a heart attack.. please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks so much for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a very stressful and small living arrangement. It must be very difficult to live in an environment where you are allergic to the cats and it is a small enclosed space, especially when your family is not supportive. Dealing with depression is hard, you must be very strong to do that! It also shows strength to reach out to us. You are very brave.

Without knowing your age, it is hard to talk about options for leaving. We are not legal experts, but generally, 18 is the legal age when you can leave (in most states). Leaving before that, your parents may be able to file a runaway report, meaning if the police find you, they usually take you back home.

If you are feeling unsafe where you are, contacting Child Help (1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org) may help. They can provide support, as well as information on reporting any abuse (if you feel there is any) or getting custody transferred to a safe adult.

Some other resources you may find helpful are the Crisis Text Line (text HOME to 741-741), or finding a local counselor or therapist. We have a database of resources if you call or chat, we can find some in your area. You can also find local resources at samhsa.gov or by calling NAMI at 1-800-950-NAMI.

We are here to listen and support you! You have shown so much strength and we are here to help you!

Im 12 years old and am thinking of running away. I am the type of person that stays closeted off to the world and keeps things in, but when i open up about my problems, they yell at me as if it was my fault, when it isnt my fault im bullied, and its either this or harming myself. I just dont know what to do! I feel so damn lone and nobody helps me

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello There,
            Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time right now. You do not deserve to be bullied.
            We are not legal experts but if you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police do find you they most likely would bring you home. If you do choose to runaway you can always call us and we can help you look for shelters.
            You also mentioned harming yourself, which can be dangerous. One option to consider is talking with your school counselor about what is going on. Another resource that may be helpful to you is call NAMI (national alliance for mental illnesses). You can contact them at 1800-950-NAMI.
            We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
            NRS

I’m thinking about running away
          i hate my school so much.Home isn’t much better.My parents don’t let me go outside for my Social life. At school all these rumors about me or making me very upset and I don’t know what to do and all of these rumors are very untrue. I have a crazy step mom she’s always following me not because she cares just to bother me my family don’t like her either so I don’t know why she’s here my parents all they do is yell and yell and yell. I try my best to do what they say but whenever I do what they tell me to it’s never enough and I don’t know what to do and it’s making me very upset and I just want to leave .What do you think I should do?Im turning 12 in 3 months. My whole life is ahead of me but I don’t know if my life is going to be worth it.

Comment

• ccsmod1
            ccsmod1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

It sounds like your parents don't fully understand you when you are trying to relay your thoughts and feelings about your current situation. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

It sounds like school is tense because of the untrue rumors you mentioned. You should be treated with respect everywhere you go and you should feel comfortable at school. If you feel comfortable you can always disclose what’s going on with a trusted teacher, school counselor, or other personnel; they may be able to help. You can also check out https://kidshealth.org/en/teens/bullies.html for some “Bullying Survival Tips”.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
            NRS

My parents were never married, I don’t know what it’s like to have a normal family. My dad is deaf and lives in an apartment and my step mom doesn’t like me and when I’m over there they don’t even have clean water all they have is soda and I mainly live with my mom but my step dad acts super childish and always waits for my mom to not be around to yell at me he used to verbally abuse me when he’d drink and stuff thank god he stopped but now my mom has a new job and she lives in Virginia now our house is in North Carolina and I have 2 half sisters and 2 step siblings one boy one girl and another step sister she has a baby and I stay in my room every possible minute I do my best to avoid eating with everybody I’ve always had trouble in school since like 3rd grade and I felt like my teachers and everybody hated me I’d get behind on work and every time I’d get close to finishing there’d be more it’s been like this from then on but also I haven’t been eating hardly anything for like 5 years I’m underweight and am close to being anorexic I refuse to eat as a way to punish myself for not being perfect I’ve always been told by my mom I’m such a perfect child and I’ll grow up to be successful but my paternal grandmother told me otherwise she’s terrorized me since I was little always taking my mom to court for custody she even told me she was my real mom and that my mom was Satan and my last time speaking with her before she died was a gigantic argument and when she did die my closest friend told me it was funny and that my grief wasn’t real (in hindsight she was very emotionally abusive) but now I’ve moved on I’m still haunted by years of emotional torment by everybody I have good friends now that I trust and I laugh with and I’ve started eating more and I have an offer to go to college next year as a 16 year old in Massachusetts but recently the only thing keeping me in school (concert band and marching band yknow) I used to look up to my band director she was my role model I always wanted to be like her but then at the very end of this marching season she ripped me to shreds I mean my name was on lists I was never right and she wouldn’t even yell at me she’d just add on the side “oh, (my name), I have your name down for the most issues) and then one day during our last after school rehearsal, before our final full run before competition at western, we ran a set and I missed it and I knew it was coming she got on the fkn loudspeakers and told me I was trash I didn’t say anything after that I started crying, then we did our full run and I messed up so bad all I could think about was how mad I was, then we go back up and tells us western was canceled, now I have to live with that pathetic excuse for a last run, I’ll never get to do that again but then she has the gall to start fkn crying, I’ve lost all respect for that woman all I care about my friends, I’ve stopped doing assignments in school the only thing I do is health science because my teachers actually cares about me as a person she told me she appreciates my hard work like why can’t people just say that, why can’t you just appreciate people and encourage them to learn and be better, I’m crying as I’m writing this but they’re happy tears cause I love my friends so much... one my friend’s mom has offered to let me stay with her and I’ve half a mind to take it I’ve tried talking to my mom about my problems she heard what I said but didn’t listen, the minute she said it was just a phase I stopped talking to her I can’t deal with people telling me what I’m feeling isn’t real I just can’t do it if it’s fake why does it hurt so much, my friend’s family is wealthy they have multiple houses and they’re my age, they’re twins and two of my best friends in the world I just want them to know I appreciate them yknow... that’s basically my life story but, feedback?

Comment

• ccsmod15
            ccsmod15 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello! Thank you so much for reaching out!

It sounds like you have a lot going on right now, and we are here to help. You mentioned that your mom and dad are separated, and you don’t really have a relationship with your other siblings, and it’s driven you to isolate and starve yourself. You’re really brave for enduring all of these things at once, and we want you to know that you’re not alone. With that being said, we’re glad that you’ve started eating better now, but if your find yourself starving yourself again, you may reach out to the national eating disorder association at 1800) 931-2237. You can also contact the national alliance on mental illness at 1800) 950-6264, they can refer you to someone if you need additional help with finding other ways to cope with your surroundings.

Along those same lines, it’s great that you had someone to look up to that was your band teacher, and looked towards your friends when it didn’t work out in having her as a role model. You’re really tough for still going to your classes and rehearsals, even though she upset you. You may want to consider talking to your health science teacher about how your director made you feel, and see if she may help you brain storm ideas on how to better handle the situation, and assists you with passing all your other classes. You’re really smart for reaching out for help, and your college offer goes to prove it!

We know that your friends have offered you a place to stay at, and that’s great to consider if you ever feel like your safety is at risk. Unfortunately we aren’t legal experts, but if you decide to run away without your guardian’s approval, your guardian can contact the authorities, and file a runaway report. Whoever you end up staying with, may face some consequences. An option to maybe explore would be to contact your local non-emergency phone number, and let them know what the consequences of running away are.
            Again, thank you so much for reaching out. We know you’re in a very hard situation, and we’re so proud that you are wanting to seek help. Please feel to reach out to us anytime on chat, or by phone at 1800) 786-2929, and we can call out anywhere on your behalf as well. Best of luck!

im going to runaway but i cant stop thinking about the other people

Comment

• ccsmod8
            ccsmod8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello there –

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your post it sounds like you have the same worries that a lot of our contacts have.

Only you know when you need to leave due to your home being unsafe. Unfortunately no one but you can make that decision for you, not even here. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We might also be able to look in our database to see if there were any youth shelters or safe places that you might be able to go to if you need some local support.

Best of luck and we hope that if you need more support that you reach out to us here.
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X