No announcement yet.

I'm thinking about running away.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about running away

I have thought about it for a while off and on and now my boy friend who is the one who is keeping me happy and the reason I'm staying here, is running away with two other people and he is telling me I should stay. I just started getting happy here, but he was the reason I was getting happy. idk what to do because I know if he leaves I will get bad again but I don't have as much as an urge to go as I used to

Comment

Re: I'm thinking about running away.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of what has been going on. It sounds like you are trying to decide what is best for you, do you stay where you are or do you leave with your boyfriend. It must be a tough decision for you to have to make, considering he makes you happy but you don’t have the urge to leave like you once did. Here at NRS we are here to listen and support you in what ways we can.

Here at NRS we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. Sometimes having some basic information can help you make your decision. Generally, you are an adult at the age of 18 and if you were to leave home before then your parents have the option of filing a runaway report. Running away is not a criminal offense it is a status offense. This means that it is not illegal for you to leave home. If you are found the police will bring you back home and the runway report is removed. Where it can become illegal is for those that are helping you leave or are allowing you to stay with them. That is called harboring a runaway and the severity of that offense varies from state to state.

It sounds like you have been thinking about this for a while. Some options you have is to talk to a trusted adult about how you are feeling. If you don’t have a trusted adult, possibly going to a school counselor, trusted teacher, or family member and talk with them. We are also 24/7 and are available to talk to you. Here at NRS we are not here to tell you what to do, our main concern is that you are safe in what you decide to do. Sometimes talking with someone can be helpful.

We hope this helped and if you would like to discuss your situation in greater detail you can give us a call or chat with us. We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best of luck.

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NRSOnlineServicesSurvey

Comment

Re: I'm thinking about running away.

I love my family, I am just over whelmed and generally depressed. I don't think running away would solve anything. My grades have fallen and this is not what I expected of myself. I am just generally unhappy with where I got myself right now and the idea of running away just makes it feel easier. Like I am going to run away and all my problems will be solved. I don't truly think that that is the case. But I wish it was. I don't have naywhere to go if I run away. I live in a really nice community. No crime. Very wealthy area. I think I wouldn't make it very far anyways. We are going on vacation to the Bahamas next week so I will have some time off. and time to myself. I think I just needed to vent a little.

Comment

Reply: I'm thinking about running away.

Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry to hear that you are having a tough time.
          It sounds like you have some disappointments about your school grades and though you have thought about running away you now think better of it. It's great that you love your family.
          Sometimes things can get overwhelming but it's good to know that you have people you love and would hopefully support you.

Taking notice that by running away it does not necessarily solve your problems show a great sense of rationale. Good for you.
          It does not matter where or what status you may hold in this world problems are something most people try to cope with. Venting is a good way to exercise out some frustrations.
          Great job.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.

If you should find that you would like to speak with NRS about your situation please call: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat with NRS at www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

I'm thinking about running away because everything I do obviously gets my parents mad like it's to the point where I can't even walk outside my house and I'm always getting in trouble for the smallest things I feel like my parents will never trust me again and I have somewhere to go I just don't know whether or not to really leave because I feel no love between me and my family they honestly dnt show that they care about me they treat my siblings with way more respect than they give me ..

Comment

• ccsmod0
              ccsmod0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello,
              Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are having a hard time living at home with your parents. It is great that you are looking into all of your options and we want to help you with that. It sounds like your parents are not being understanding to your feelings perhaps you can consider using our conference calling service, this is a service where you would call us and we would hold a conference call between you and your parents to talk about how both sides are feeling. We would serve as mediators, we are not here to necessarily choose sides but rather help come up with a solution that would make the situation at home better. This might be helpful to you if you have concerns about your parents not listening or not being open to hear what you have to say. If you feel like this is a service that you would find useful you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
              It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you feel as if you are not loved or respected. Since you mentioned that you are thinking about running away we want you to know that if you do leave home without your parent’s permission they do have the right to file you as a runaway. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department.
              We are here to try to provide you with support and resources so that if you do decide to leave home, you are doing it intelligently and safely. So if running away is something that you really want to do then you are more than welcome to give us a call and we can talk about all of your options and help you come up with a safety plan.
              We want to help you make things better at home. If you feel like there is anything that we can to help please do not hesitate to give us a call anytime 1-800-786-2929.
              Best,
              NRS

I'm thinking about running away. I was being sacrastic, talking about how I don't pay attention in school. They got really mad at me, and said if I don't get straight A+'s, they would practically take away my rights away as a human. I'm only 12, but I don't care. I could live with the money I have for a while, and come back after I run out of money to see what they have to say! Does this sound like a good idea? What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you so much for reaching out and posting about what is happening at home. So sorry to hear about the situation with your parents – them not understanding you were being sarcastic and getting mad and threatening to take away your rights. You ask whether the plan you have is good, or what you should do – we here at NRS don’t tell people what they should or shouldn’t do. We don’t tell people they should stay or they should leave. We trust that you know your situation the best. What is important to us is that you are safe and off the streets. If you would like to discuss options or help establish a plan - where you would go, for how long, what you would bring, how to stay safe - we would be happy to continue the conversation (would need to know things such as city/state, gender, etc. in order to look up resources and also to determine if looking up resources is what would be helpful, or if you already have a place to go). Please let us know how we can be of help. We are here to listen and here to help.

I am in my 20s from a family and culture that is really bad if a girl dates and goes out . So I sometimes try to sneak my way out . Specially since I met the man of my dreams who my family would never approve of . They caught me lieing and knew I was with a man . They made me quit my job and do not allow me to go out . I want to marry this man I love him . I'm so crushed . But they will never let me go out. I don't wanna to lose my family but I do want to runaway with him . But that means I'll never see my family again . What do I do .

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey,

It sounds like you're trying to make a hard decision. Unfortunately we are not able to tell you what you should do in your situation. Only you can decide what is best and what makes you happy. If you are over 18 years old it is likely that you are able to make your own decisions legally. So if you decide to leave, you should be aware of the consequences and what that means for your relationship with your family.

We wish you the best of luck,
              NRS

I have a really bad relation ship with my mom and sometimes my dad but me and my mom are worse and it's really bad and sometimes she'll just start yelling at me for no reason and it really hurts my feelings she'll tell me to go away and I feel about Actully going away I'm 11 by the way and it's really bad but I have younger siblings to look after and that's practically the only reason I'm staying. it really really SUCKS!

Comment

Hi, thank you for reaching out to us here at NRS! We are here to listen, here to help.
              We are so sorry to hear about the tough relationships with your parents, especially your mom. It can be really difficult to feel safe and happy when you don’t get along with your parents.
              It sounds like your siblings are really keeping you motivated. It is really kind of you to think of them while you are going through such a tough time yourself.
              Some options may be to talk to your dad. Maybe he could help you talk to your mom and help you talk out some of the emotions of the rocky relationship. Also is there is a teacher or counselor at school you trust, you could talk to one of them. Teachers can be a really great support when things are hard at home.
              If you are interested in talking about more options, perhaps family counseling, or would like to talk to someone about everything going on, we are here 24/7 always ready to answer your call! You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or also live chat with us in the evenings on our website (click on the “chat” button). We also offer conference calling if you think having a third party neutral on the line with you and your mom would be helpful. We are always completely confidential unless you choose to give us information like your name, so if you call, we will never tell your parents. We want you to feel safe.
              It sounds like you are doing the best you can in a really tough situation. We are here to support you and help you in any way that we can! Do not hesitate to reach out via phone or chat soon!
              Take care!
              Last edited by ccsmod16; 09-12-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Hey Im 15, i live in flordia and im thinking about running away.

Ive been thinking about this for a really long while now, exactly 4 years because ...well because of a lot of things. My mom married this guy when i was in 2nd grade and thats when it started happening really, he would get drunk every night and would get in my face and yell at me to point now; whenever someone raises their voice and such i cry no matter what. He caused a lot of anxiety for me and by the 5th grade , i was taking like 4 pills a day because of the things i was diagnosed with, i got physically hit by a car in 7th grade which was when i became suicidal and i harmed myself and my mom would make fun of my anxiety and when they found out about the cutting and stuff all they did was put me on more pills. And my mom recently divorced my step-dad and all i feel like now is a nuisance to my mom and my real dad because all they do is yell at me and at this point the only thing i want to do is run away or end it all. Ive tried asking if they wanted to go to family therapy and they have blown up in my face and my mom just verbally abuses me at this point about my weight saying stuff like"ill never get anyone because of the way i am" "you need to stop eating" and at points shes decided that i just shouldnt eat at all and it really has tore me down because, i hate my body and i shouldnt. My mom should support me but she doesnt. Ive tried to tell her my depression medicine isn't working and she decides to ignore it and i just can't standing living with her anymore and i know if i got live with my dad, it will just make me feel like more of a nuisance. I love my mom i just cant stand living with her anymore.

Comment

Reply: Hey Im 15, i live in flordia and im thinking about running away.

Hello,
                  Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

You don’t deserve to be talked down to and made to feel sad about yourself. It’s unfair and you are not to blame for it. It would probably feel good to have your mother show you some support.
                  You are speaking up for yourself and reaching out for help. Those are good things. Great job.
                  Taking care of you is important.
                  Even though your parents are not open to counseling you might consider it for yourself.

NRS has a national data base and we would be glad to help you look for referrals in your area.
                  If you would like to talk more about your situation and explore some options please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org (live chat).

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
                  Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
                  NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X