I'm thinking about running away.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm thinking about running away.

So, I can't stand my family. I'm wanting to run away, and I have a place to live and someone to live with. We've researched things, and come up with something that I have a few questions about. Apparently, in Missouri there are no laws about runaways and also, once you're 17 you are considered an adult. But I cannot find anything about harboring runaways. If there aren't, I'll be leaving sometime in November, after I turn 17. I could come to you for help if I needed, right?

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are a confidential and anonymous hotline that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also contact us through our new online chat services, which are available 7 days a week from 4:30 PM-10:00 PM.

In your message you stated that you couldn’t stand your family and that you wanted to run away. Can you tell us a little bit about what is going on? It sounds like you have done a lot of research in regards to leaving home.

We aren’t legally trained so I can’t answer your legal questions but I can try to help you find some resources. You said that at 17, in Missouri, you are considered an adult. To our knowledge, in other states, you aren’t considered an adult until you turn 18 which would mean that you would still be considered a minor at the age of 17 in those states. Also, running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense; a status offense is something you can’t do because you are a minor.

The other thing you asked about is harboring a runaway and again, since we aren’t legally trained, we won’t be able to give you any specific answers. Generally speaking though, harboring a runaway and contributing to the delinquency of a minor can be things that adults can get into trouble for. Again, we can’t tell you specifically what could happen because the consequences vary state to state. Below, there are some legal aid resources that are in Missouri who may be better able to answer your questions than we are.

The first one is the Legal Aid of Western Missouri and their statewide hotline number is 800-892-2101 and their website is http://www.ismo.org. The second one is Legal Services of Eastern Missouri, Inc. and their number is 314-534-4200.

If you were to leave and you needed assistance, you could call us anytime. We can help you locate a safe place to go or help you connect with other resources in your area. Or, if you just want to talk with someone, we are available for that also. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I'm a runaway right now

I was soooooooooooo pissed of with my family my family just hates me they really really hate me they make me eat on the floor on the carpet anything that's hard they MAKE me eat on it and then they won't let me go outside for my social life by the way I live in GA I am Haitian I am 11 and dis is a reason I am a runaway

Comment

I'm Thinking about Running away

Hi,
        Thanks for contacting the Bulletin board on the www.1800runaway.org website.

We are very sorry to hear your situation at home.
        This sounds like it’s a very hard time for you right now.
        You say you are upset with your family for making you eat off the floor.
        You are within reason to be upset.
        That really seems like harsh thing to make you do.

You are now thinking of running away because of this.
        Okay.

How much thought have you given to running away?

We would be happy to talk with you and invite you to call out 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) crisis line.
        Maybe there are some other options to help cope with your situation before you runaway.

Sometimes it can be helpful to just talk to someone.
        Are there any other family members you feel okay with talking to?
        Perhaps you have a favorite teacher at school to talk things over with.

How does that sound?

We understand how being mistreated must be making you feel.
        You deserve to be treated fairly.
        You really did well by seeking help and contacting NRS.

We are a confidential crisis line and you may call and remain anonymous.
        We also have live chat services through the NRS website.
        It’s available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm 7 days a week.

We hope things get better for you.

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard.
        Take Care
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Im sick of living here

Recently i have been diagnosed with a muscle disease and it is making life hard for me. My parents never understand how difficult it is for me to cope with livivng with this. They get mad at me if i trip or drop things, or if i don't do as good as my two younger sisters. I don't want to live at my house because i am sick of not being perfect. Please help me decide weather or ot i should run away, and please give me some tips to help me.

Comment

Hey,

We’re sorry you are having a difficult time, but we are glad that you are thinking about how your situation can be improved. We don’t ever tell anyone what to do, but we can work with you so that you can make the best possible decision for yourself. Is there anyone that you trust that you feel comfortable talking to in your life – someone that might be able to empathize with your situation? Is there a teacher, friend, doctor, nurse, or relative who could help you? Have you ever considered having a heartfelt conversation with your parents, or writing a letter to them, explaining how you feel?

Considering running away is a big decision to make. You can always talk to us on the phone, if you would like. We are 100% confidential and anonymous and are here 24/7. Our phone number is 1-800—RUN-AWAY. Or you can always contact us using the “chat” feature on our website from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST (www.1800runaway.org). We are here to help.

Comment

I'm gonna run away

My dad and I have been fighting like every other day for the past few months and tonite I'm just done. I can't take it from him anymore and I just wanna leave. I'm 17 and have friends in California and Canada. I'm preferring Canada right now but what will I need to get there. I wanna be gone quickly.

Comment

RE: I'm gunna run away

Hello there,
                Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you have been having some problems with your dad lately and are looking for a way out. Have you ever run away before? If not there are some things to consider such as:

• What else can I do to improve my home situation before I leave?
                • What would make me stay at home?
                • How will I survive?
                • Is running away safe?
                • Who can I count on to help me?
                • Am I being realistic?
                • Have I given this enough thought?
                • What are my other options?
                • If I end up in trouble, who will I call?
                • When I return home, what will happen?

Here at the National Runaway Safeline we cannot tell you what you should or should not do. We do however want to help you stay safe if you do leave, and can find you shelters in California if you decide to go there. We do not have many resources for Canada, but would still like to talk to you about your plan. We can be reached at any time at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or by live chat at www.1800runaway.org from 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

- NRS

Comment

I want to run away

I want to run away , I hate my gaurdians !! They piss me off soo much I don't know where I would go , where I would stay , how will I eat , I wouldn't know . I hate them so much , they constantly yell , scream ,at me . I'm sick of it , his wife always is ignorant to me . She's a totall ********** . I hate her so much . He always takes her side and yells at m e just so she can shut up . She always is like why are you on her team , like there's side or something , she'll be like by her yelling she won . Go tell at her & her husband will come tell at me and if it's not good enough she'll throw a fit . They constantly try to keep me in the house when there's nothing to do . All they do is sit around watch tv & sleep . It gets old af ! They punish me for stupid things and after they tell at me and I try to defend myself they call it talking back . One day I swear on my mom I will hit her and him ! I hate them both !!!!

Comment

Re: I'm thinking about running away

Hello,

You sound really upset! It sounds like you are having a really tough time at home – so much so that you want to run away. You don’t deserve to be constantly screamed at and it sounds like you would like more freedom to leave the house. It sounds like there are some real communication problems going on! But you’ve taken a great step to improving things by reaching out to us. We are here to listen and here to help in whatever way we can.

You mention some important concerns when it comes to running away: where you would stay, how you would eat, etc. Running away is a big decision. As we mention a lot on this site, running away is not a crime but it is a status offense, which means you could be detained by police until they release you to your parents. It’s ultimately your decision, though.

You mentioned that you are so angry that you might “one day” hit your guardians. You totally have the right to your feelings! But you might want to consider if lashing out -- physically or verbally – at your parents would really improve things. It could even make matters worse! If you hit someone else – including your guardian -- that person has the right to call the police on you. Maybe there are more constructive ways of dealing with your justifiable anger and resentment?

Additionally, perhaps there are some things you can do to improve your situation besides running away? Maybe talking to a person you trust about the situation would be a good idea – another relative, teacher, counselor, or friend. Of course we are always here 24/7 to talk to. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (800-786-2929) and we are totally confidential and anonymous. We’re a safe place to talk about what you’re going through. You can also contact us through Live Chat by clicking the red button on the main page of our website, www.1800runaway.org. Note that Live Chat is only available between 4:30pm and 11:30pm Central time. Contacting us by phone or chat is the best way we can help.

We hope you give us a call. Good luck!

NRS

Comment

adopted runaway

I was adopted when I was 8 and I am now 15 and a half I have been running away since I was adopted. I hate my adopted mother and want to live with my real mom but she said we have to do it legally. My adopted mom wont allow me to see her. I want to be with my real mom. I wil never go back to that house and if I am forced to I will keep running away. What can I do. I live in mo and my adopted mom works with dfs. Please help me I want to be with my mom. She has a good job and has her life together.

Comment

Re: adopted runaway

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you have been going through a lot with your adopted mom and we are sorry to hear that. We are here to help you out the best that we can.
                        You said that you hate your adopted mom, and that you keep running away. Is there something specific that has been happening, or that she does to you that you are getting away from when you run away? It sounds like you are in a tough situation, wanting to live with your biological mom but not being able to. We are not legal experts here, but from our understanding if there is no abuse or neglect at home, Child Protective Services would likely not place you with your biological mom without your adopted mom's permission to do so.

One option you have is to explore emancipation. By getting emancipated, you are become recognized as self sufficient and independent and no longer in need of supervision from a guardian as a minor. We can provide you several different phone numbers for Youth Services within the state of Missouri that would be able to further assist you with the emancipation process if you are interested in further exploring:

Lawson Phone Number: (816) 296 3571
                        Springfield Phone Number: (417) 895 6485
                        Saint Louis Phone Number: (314) 340 6904

If you would like to explore your situation further, discuss more possible options or just simply talk we are here to listen and support you in any way that we can. You can call our 24/7, anonymous and confidential hotline at 1 800 RUNAWAY (786 2929), or join us on chat from the hours of 4:30pm to 11:30pm CST through our website at 1800runaway.org. We wish you the best of luck with everything and hope to hear from you again soon.

Good luck and stay safe,
                        NRS

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Comment

adopted runaway

My bio mom doesn't abuse my she gave up her rights. My adopted mom wont give my my stuff so I can get a job or anything. My adopted mom has like 10 kids. She says she is texting my bio mom but never does. Dfs in kc wont help she is close with them. I dont know what to do

Comment

I'm thinking about running away

Hi,
                            Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We are sorry that you are in crisis at this time.
                            How were you hoping we might help you in this situation?
                            It sounds like you might be somewhat frustrated and we understand how that must make you feel.
                            Please give us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) so we might hear more about your situation and what it is you would like to see happen.
                            Thanks for reaching out to NRS.

If you are unable to call try our NRS live chat from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST) for any information options or referrals we might be able to assist you with. visit www.1800Runaway.org for NRS live chat service.
                            Take Care
                            NRS

Comment

Ok so my stepdad doesnt like me and my mom is all stressed out about it I told him that I could careless about his feelings and he tried to put me out but my mom wouldnt let him and now I wanna run away but I have no where to go and I dont no what to do

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X