Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14, In Florida, Planning to runaway. Is this legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I am 13 I want to runaway from home because I will love to be with my mom but my father doesn't allow me to what can I do I am scared

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services. You mentioned thinking about running away, and we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

Please call or chat if you would like to talk about what you are going through. We are here to listen, here to help.

Thank you,

NRS

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    runway

Hi i was just wondering about running away when your 17. I have thought about it a really long time and i have been told that since I'm17 that the police will just take me back to where i live if they find out where i am. Is This true?
    hey man im thinking aboutrunning away myself but im 12 can i just say why not just wait a year i mean your 17 one year and you dont have to deal with it anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hello,
    If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
    Best of luck,
    NRS

• ccsmod9
    Hi,
    Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re dealing with a very difficult situation at home. Please know that no one deserves to be treated that way…you really should be able to feel loved and supported in your own home! You may want to consider talking to another trusted adult about this. Maybe you have a teacher or counselor or even a relative or friend’s parent you could reach out to. Sometimes it helps to talk through what you are experiencing.
    You talk about running away, and it sounds like you have thought about how you would handle some of the issues you might encounter. While we are not here to tell you what to do or not to do, it’s important that you consider your safety. You may want to think about where you would sleep and how you would get food, toiletries, etc. If you want to call us here at NRS (1-800-RUNAWAY/1-800-786-2929) we can talk about various shelter and basic center resources in your area. While they may offer you services when you get there, they may require parental notification to allow you to stay. You can think about how your mom might react to this.
    Since your arguments with your mom seem to center around your sexual identity, you might find it helpful to talk with someone at the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743. Their volunteers have had experiences to your and can be very helpful.
    Again, we hope you will call us at NRS. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we’re available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and we are here to listen and offer support.
    Take care.
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and live in Florida.
    my life has gone downhill.

I live in an emotionally abusive household. My main problem is my mother, who constantly screams and yells at me, for the smallest things. We both have short tempers. Which causes constant fights. I’m afraid this emotional abuse will become physical. She has called me things from a selfish brat to “the most selfish mother********er” she’s ever met. She’s even gone and far as to say to me “I wish I never had kids”.

it doesn’t help that my parents are homophobic and transphobic.
    and just my luck, I’m bisexual and female to male trans.

they also deny the mental illnesses that I have (depression, anxiety, ADD) and refuse to get me help. There was a point in time where I was self harming and suicidal.

i have a plan on running away. I’m packing a bag with clothes and essentials and a few things with sentimental value. Since my best friend lives close to me, I’ll leave the rest of my stuff with her until we turn 18 and are able to move out together and become roommates.

i plan on living on the streets until I’m 18 with occasional visits to my friend. I plan on making money to save by performing on the streets.

im most worried about my pets though. I plan on bringing my big, overprotective dog with me as a form of protection, but my smaller dog and cats are what I’m worried about.

thank you
    -J

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and heavily contemplating on running away. I love in Florida and have a best friend who lives near me as well as grandparents.

my parents are emotionally abusive and I’m afraid it will turn into physical abuse soon.
    They are also homophobic and transphobic, which does not help my case as I am bisexual and female to male transgender.

my mother is the main source. She has an incredibly short temper, like mine, so we’re constantly fighting and arguing. She screams at me, pressures me and calls me many things a teenager should not be called, especially by their not own parents. The day before Christmas Eve, she called me the most “selfish mother********er” she’s every met and on multiple occasions she’s said “why did I ever have kids”

i plan on leaving my valuables at my best friends house in order to check on them from time to time and to be able to retrieve them once me and her are 18 and able to move out and become roommates. Until then I living on the streets until I’m 18 and performing on the streets to earn money.

My only worries are my pets and what may happen to them. I plan on taking my dog with me as a source of protection (she’s a big dog who is very protective) but I’m worried for my other dog and my cats.

also with financial issues, would I be able to get a job at 16 while still living on the streets Andy visiting my friend, or would the cops Ben able to find me.

thank you

-J

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: Um yeah, 14, male, FL

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.
    We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate.
    If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Um yeah, 14, male, FL, my mother has destroyed my chance at a healthy relationship with not only her but my father as well, they both smoke weed 24/7, and we've never really been a normal family, napping anytime they have a day off (my mother doesn't work) we have never had a chance to bond, despite me and my father Who let me clear this up, is a wonderful parent and person. My mom is crazy, like actually only gets 50% of blood flow to her brain and isn't capable of making adult decisions, crazy. My mother and father never seem to have problems anymore other than the occasional screaming and yelling normal in most households... I assume, My father works extremely late and leaves very early as well, due to the constant verbal and often physical abuse my mother has subjected me, and my sister(she's 16) to he has no desire to be home, I CANNOT BLAME HIM. She lies constantly and is the most manipulative person I have ever met, we can't go anywhere without her deciding to scream and yell at the top of her lungs with NO PROVOCATION whatsoever. This has become so severe that we don't even take vacations anymore, we can't stand to be around her. She lies often and tells my father I am verbally disrespectful and even goes as far as telling him I have physically abused her, I HAVE NEVER LAID A HAND ON MY MOTHER AND NEVER INTEND TO! when he hears this, I get my ass beat, the most recent altercation, I was laying in my bed, completely unaware of anything she has told him, when my bedroom door flies open and he rushes in and begins to punch me repeatedly to the point I have bruises all over my abdomen and a gash across my forehead, after the discipline, he then begins to tell me I have torn my family apart and that I lost all respect for him and that I can never come to him for anything. So I talked to them about living elsewhere and my father said he felt like it could be an option while my mother said she would refuse to let me live apart from my parents, I just would like to leave the hell she has created. She had six strokes about three years ago, with no obvious symptoms. And about a year ago, she found out she had them and now refuses to do anything around the house even going to the grocery store, laundry, dishes, etc... It all fell on me and my sister and I’m fine with that, I can live independently, but my mother has not let me leave the house for the last seven months. She claims it’s because I cannot make responsible decisions because I am held to unreasonable standards! I am expected to make all A's in honors classes that, despite great efforts, I cannot understand anything. I struggle to make C's, I get beat for, and my dad is very smart, he was capable of all a's but he ********ed around during school, so he believes I do the same. I am not currently drinking or involved in any substance use, I have cleaned up my act and I believe I have everything together, better friends and everything who can all testify on my behalf at my mother’s abuse. I ******** you not, I am not allowed to go anywhere, do anything, it's a prison, I do home school, clean, workout or I sit in my room and watch Netflix. Now I am home schooled and have been cut off socially from anyone outside my immediate family, I can't do it anymore. I have evidence against her featuring videos of the abuse and it will hold up in a court of law, but I care deeply for my father and hope he can remain my sister’s guardian. I have tried speaking with both parents, my mother just gets extremely angry and threatens to call my father. My dad just dismisses me and says he doesn't want to hear it. I have a plan, I can stick to back roads for about a three hour walk to a trusted friend’s house. I have money put away and I am ready, however she has taken my phone in another attempt to limit my contact with the outside world, the evidence is on there. I am aware of the legal consequences and have planned alternate routes and places to stay, including squatting houses (I know it’s illegal) if necessary, I have a means of self-defense and trusted individuals to fall back on. SHOULD I GO? I can't live here any longer. I am blessed to have all that I do, but I simply no longer wish to be a burden, I can’t listen to the yelling anymore.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-16-2018, 05:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello, thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear about the way that your father and mother treat you. You mentioned that you want to runaway, having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. Since you are a minor, if you decide to leave home your family has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not against the law, if you decide to stay with a friend they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Guest replied
    Hi am only 11in Florida and my dad's been very mean to me and my mom no physical abuse and I been planning to run away i need some time alone to think to relax and my mom's been stressed and taking it out on me and it has had a effect on me and my life I am thinking about leaving from a month and coming back I may leave the state for I all I know but either way I am running away

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello,
    Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re thinking about running away. What is it that’s making you feel like you want to run away? Running away is a serious decision, so it’s good that you’re thinking through it and reaching out for more information.
    We do want to let you know that we aren’t legal experts here but we will try to assist you with the information we have. To answer your question, your parents/legal guardian does have the right to call the police and file a runaway report if you leave. This means that if you’re found, the police will return you back home. Even if you are in a different state you will still be in a National Database of Missing Children so if you come into contact with a police officer from another state, you will still show up in their database. The police do not always actively search for runaways, but if your parent/guardian had an idea of where you were they could ask them to check it out and bring you home.
    You can always contact us directly so that we can discuss what options you have and where you can get more information regarding your situation. Sometimes it helps to just have an unbiased, non-judgmental person to talk to. Here at the National Runaway Safeline, we are always available to talk about your situation, and help you come up with options, and a safe plan of action. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Best of luck.

Regards,
    NRS

Guest replied
    12 tear old in Florida contimplating running away
    Hello,
    I believe you may have answered this but not with too much info. If you were to run away and make it to another state what would happen legally?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi,

At NRS we are non directive so we are unable to provide you with specific advice on what would happen if you ran away. In general, youth who run away may be returned home if their parent files a runaway report. We imagine that is really hurtful for you to hear your mom talk about your dad in that way. Running away multiple times, isn't necessarily going to make it possible for you to choose where you want to live without your guardian's permission. Your mom might seek out a way to get the court involved if you continuously run away, but that is her decision to make. If you have any other questions, please call 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us on our website.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I am a 14 year old kid,in the state of Florida and i ran away twice already once for 1 day an the other time witch was less than 24 hours ago for 3 day. An nothing serious happened with the law. But i run away cause my family has a court order that i see an speak to my dad supervised visitation. An my mom doesn't let me do that. So i have to ran away just to go see him but i barley see him even when i run away cause my mom would catch me there. An cops came to pick me up this morning an could my friend could of just said no he isn't here and shut the door in his face cause they don't have a search warrant? I run away cause ontop of all the court orders my mom verbally abuses me with my dad is a "crackhead" "he is a piece of s****" etc. and that makes me very upset.An she knows that. An we had counselling but the stopped it because the counselor helped me out alot. An i try to talk to her an all she says is "your 14 you don't make your own decisions". So my question to you guys/girls is if i run away so many times eventually could i get like a court hearing of why i run away and an who i want to live with? An if i run away so many times could they put me in any type of juvenile jail or program?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X