Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14, In Florida, Planning to runaway. Is this legal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi am only 11in Florida and my dad's been very mean to me and my mom no physical abuse and I been planning to run away i need some time alone to think to relax and my mom's been stressed and taking it out on me and it has had a effect on me and my life I am thinking about leaving from a month and coming back I may leave the state for I all I know but either way I am running away

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear about the way that your father and mother treat you. You mentioned that you want to runaway, having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. Since you are a minor, if you decide to leave home your family has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not against the law, if you decide to stay with a friend they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Um yeah, 14, male, FL, my mother has destroyed my chance at a healthy relationship with not only her but my father as well, they both smoke weed 24/7, and we've never really been a normal family, napping anytime they have a day off (my mother doesn't work) we have never had a chance to bond, despite me and my father Who let me clear this up, is a wonderful parent and person. My mom is crazy, like actually only gets 50% of blood flow to her brain and isn't capable of making adult decisions, crazy. My mother and father never seem to have problems anymore other than the occasional screaming and yelling normal in most households... I assume, My father works extremely late and leaves very early as well, due to the constant verbal and often physical abuse my mother has subjected me, and my sister(she's 16) to he has no desire to be home, I CANNOT BLAME HIM. She lies constantly and is the most manipulative person I have ever met, we can't go anywhere without her deciding to scream and yell at the top of her lungs with NO PROVOCATION whatsoever. This has become so severe that we don't even take vacations anymore, we can't stand to be around her. She lies often and tells my father I am verbally disrespectful and even goes as far as telling him I have physically abused her, I HAVE NEVER LAID A HAND ON MY MOTHER AND NEVER INTEND TO! when he hears this, I get my ass beat, the most recent altercation, I was laying in my bed, completely unaware of anything she has told him, when my bedroom door flies open and he rushes in and begins to punch me repeatedly to the point I have bruises all over my abdomen and a gash across my forehead, after the discipline, he then begins to tell me I have torn my family apart and that I lost all respect for him and that I can never come to him for anything. So I talked to them about living elsewhere and my father said he felt like it could be an option while my mother said she would refuse to let me live apart from my parents, I just would like to leave the hell she has created. She had six strokes about three years ago, with no obvious symptoms. And about a year ago, she found out she had them and now refuses to do anything around the house even going to the grocery store, laundry, dishes, etc... It all fell on me and my sister and I’m fine with that, I can live independently, but my mother has not let me leave the house for the last seven months. She claims it’s because I cannot make responsible decisions because I am held to unreasonable standards! I am expected to make all A's in honors classes that, despite great efforts, I cannot understand anything. I struggle to make C's, I get beat for, and my dad is very smart, he was capable of all a's but he ********ed around during school, so he believes I do the same. I am not currently drinking or involved in any substance use, I have cleaned up my act and I believe I have everything together, better friends and everything who can all testify on my behalf at my mother’s abuse. I ******** you not, I am not allowed to go anywhere, do anything, it's a prison, I do home school, clean, workout or I sit in my room and watch Netflix. Now I am home schooled and have been cut off socially from anyone outside my immediate family, I can't do it anymore. I have evidence against her featuring videos of the abuse and it will hold up in a court of law, but I care deeply for my father and hope he can remain my sister’s guardian. I have tried speaking with both parents, my mother just gets extremely angry and threatens to call my father. My dad just dismisses me and says he doesn't want to hear it. I have a plan, I can stick to back roads for about a three hour walk to a trusted friend’s house. I have money put away and I am ready, however she has taken my phone in another attempt to limit my contact with the outside world, the evidence is on there. I am aware of the legal consequences and have planned alternate routes and places to stay, including squatting houses (I know it’s illegal) if necessary, I have a means of self-defense and trusted individuals to fall back on. SHOULD I GO? I can't live here any longer. I am blessed to have all that I do, but I simply no longer wish to be a burden, I can’t listen to the yelling anymore.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 01-16-2018, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Reply: Um yeah, 14, male, FL

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.
      We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate.
      If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
      NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I’m 14 and heavily contemplating on running away. I love in Florida and have a best friend who lives near me as well as grandparents.

my parents are emotionally abusive and I’m afraid it will turn into physical abuse soon.
        They are also homophobic and transphobic, which does not help my case as I am bisexual and female to male transgender.

my mother is the main source. She has an incredibly short temper, like mine, so we’re constantly fighting and arguing. She screams at me, pressures me and calls me many things a teenager should not be called, especially by their not own parents. The day before Christmas Eve, she called me the most “selfish mother********er” she’s every met and on multiple occasions she’s said “why did I ever have kids”

i plan on leaving my valuables at my best friends house in order to check on them from time to time and to be able to retrieve them once me and her are 18 and able to move out and become roommates. Until then I living on the streets until I’m 18 and performing on the streets to earn money.

My only worries are my pets and what may happen to them. I plan on taking my dog with me as a source of protection (she’s a big dog who is very protective) but I’m worried for my other dog and my cats.

also with financial issues, would I be able to get a job at 16 while still living on the streets Andy visiting my friend, or would the cops Ben able to find me.

thank you

-J

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          Thank you for contacting us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re dealing with a very difficult situation at home. Please know that no one deserves to be treated that way…you really should be able to feel loved and supported in your own home! You may want to consider talking to another trusted adult about this. Maybe you have a teacher or counselor or even a relative or friend’s parent you could reach out to. Sometimes it helps to talk through what you are experiencing.
          You talk about running away, and it sounds like you have thought about how you would handle some of the issues you might encounter. While we are not here to tell you what to do or not to do, it’s important that you consider your safety. You may want to think about where you would sleep and how you would get food, toiletries, etc. If you want to call us here at NRS (1-800-RUNAWAY/1-800-786-2929) we can talk about various shelter and basic center resources in your area. While they may offer you services when you get there, they may require parental notification to allow you to stay. You can think about how your mom might react to this.
          Since your arguments with your mom seem to center around your sexual identity, you might find it helpful to talk with someone at the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 1-800-246-7743. Their volunteers have had experiences to your and can be very helpful.
          Again, we hope you will call us at NRS. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we’re available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, and we are here to listen and offer support.
          Take care.
          NRS

I’m 14 and live in Florida.
        my life has gone downhill.

I live in an emotionally abusive household. My main problem is my mother, who constantly screams and yells at me, for the smallest things. We both have short tempers. Which causes constant fights. I’m afraid this emotional abuse will become physical. She has called me things from a selfish brat to “the most selfish mother********er” she’s ever met. She’s even gone and far as to say to me “I wish I never had kids”.

it doesn’t help that my parents are homophobic and transphobic.
        and just my luck, I’m bisexual and female to male trans.

they also deny the mental illnesses that I have (depression, anxiety, ADD) and refuse to get me help. There was a point in time where I was self harming and suicidal.

i have a plan on running away. I’m packing a bag with clothes and essentials and a few things with sentimental value. Since my best friend lives close to me, I’ll leave the rest of my stuff with her until we turn 18 and are able to move out together and become roommates.

i plan on living on the streets until I’m 18 with occasional visits to my friend. I plan on making money to save by performing on the streets.

im most worried about my pets though. I plan on bringing my big, overprotective dog with me as a form of protection, but my smaller dog and cats are what I’m worried about.

thank you
        -J

Comment

• ccsmod9
          ccsmod9 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
          Best of luck,
          NRS

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        runway

Hi i was just wondering about running away when your 17. I have thought about it a really long time and i have been told that since I'm17 that the police will just take me back to where i live if they find out where i am. Is This true?
        hey man im thinking aboutrunning away myself but im 12 can i just say why not just wait a year i mean your 17 one year and you dont have to deal with it anymore

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thank you for your response to another user’s post. Often forums are a place of support and understanding for many youth. It often may be validating and helpful for users to read similar situations as well as exchange feedback to one another. For anyone experiencing any difficulties or challenges, the National Runaway Safeline encourages youth to reach out to our 24/7 crisis support line either by phone or chat for immediate services. You mentioned thinking about running away, and we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

Please call or chat if you would like to talk about what you are going through. We are here to listen, here to help.

Thank you,

NRS

I am 13 I want to runaway from home because I will love to be with my mom but my father doesn't allow me to what can I do I am scared

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. Hopefully we can help. If you ever want to talk more about what's going on at home, we're here to talk.

We aren’t legal experts here by any means. One parent usually gets awarded primary custody, so if you were to runaway to your moms house, and she doesn't have custody, she could get in trouble with the law. An option you may want to consider is reaching out to a legal aid and asking some questions regarding what it would take in order for your custody to change. If you are able to give us a call, we would be more than willing to provide you with a resource where you will be able to do so.

We hope that we were able to help you think a little more about your options and brainstorm some more with you, if you feel like you would still need some more support or go through some more options, please feel free to reach out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we are here 24/7. We also have a live chat service which is available from 4:30 PM to 11:30 PM CST. We wish you the best of luck in whatever it is you decide to do and hope to hear from you soon.

Stay strong, NRS

I’m 14 in Florida and my parents have basically imprisoned me. I can only go to school or home, and at home no one is allowed to come over. I’m only allowed to do homework and chores at home. The only exception is when I’m eating, sleeping, getting ready for bed, or getting ready for school. And then allowed to do anything . No free time at all. The only way to communicate with my friends is at school or through phone. I need to leave. I hate my dad for doing this to me, and my mom for not doing anything about it. I was barely able to get the time away to send this. Any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are sorry to hear about your situation and what you’ve been dealing with. Ideally, home would be a place where people feel safe, loved, and valued, and you do not deserve to be treated that way.
          Although NRS is not a legal agency, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. If you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. They could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.
          In regards to where you would stay, we would encourage you to consider how you would take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, healthcare), and how you would care for your safety if something were to happen. If you were interested, we also offer conference-calling as an option, where we would mediate a constructive conversation between your parents and yourself in order to reach an understanding, so that both sides would feel heard.
          Additionally, if you had the time and resources, joining another extra-curricular, whether it is a sport, club, or program, could also give you time away from home and the space to explore an interest.
          If you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
          We hope this information was helpful and take care.

I'm 14 years old living in palm beach county florida and I want to leave but I don't want to get the rest of the family in trouble legally. I have a friend who will let me stay at least for a week until her mother decides but I don't want any legal problems to happen. please help me the best you guys can.

Comment

Reply: I'm 14 years old living in palm beach county florida

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Take care,
          NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

13 year old contemplating running away with sister.

Hello, I live near Tampa, Florida and I’m planning to run to Brandon, Mississippi, where my friend lives. I’ve already planned everything out, the shelters I would go to and how long it would take (a little over three weeks) but I’m not sure if it’s a bad idea or not. I don’t know how much money I need, how much food I should bring from home, or what to bring in general. Plus, it’s getting cold and I don’t really have a great coat.

I don’t have any family in Florida, (other than my immediate) Alabama, or Mississippi, so I’m not necessarily worried about running into them. I’m more worried about two things, weather and running into the police. A full two of the three weeks would be spent in Florida, which is where I assume the most people would be looking for us. If I ran into the police, would they take me back immediately? Would I be able to not go back if I explained my situation?

I don’t necessarily live in an abusive household, more like a household where there’s almost always yelling happening. If it’s not my older brother, it’s me, my little brother, or my sister. I’ve grown up my whole life with my sister, because she is my twin. She is the person I care about most. I can handle being yelled at for a while, however I CAN’T STAND when my mom yells at her. It’s a mixture of her yelling at the two of us and her not treating my depression. If anything, she makes it worse. I could literally be having a good day and as soon as I encounter her, I leave wanting to kill myself. I don’t believe I will be able to make it to 18 in her house.

There’s no telling what my parents would do if I got back to them after running away.

I have another worry, not really relating to this, but I thought I’d share. If my friend’s parents do let us stay there (I bet they will, they’re very nice and loving)I’m not 100% sure that it won’t ever not be awkward. I feel like I would just be like “hi I’m here and I’ve brought my sister please support us as if you were our parents.”

Comment

• ccsmod0
              ccsmod0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,
              Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
              It sounds like you still have quite a bit that you need to plan before you make your move. We want to leave you with some basic information about running away from home. First off we want you to know that we are not legal experts nor are we affiliated with the police so we can only speak generally about what could happen if a youth leaves home without the consent of a guardian. Leaving home without parental consent (running away) is not a crime, so the police will not arrest you. If you do leave home without permission your guardian does have the right to file a runaway report. Running away is not a crime it is a status offence (something that only a minor can get in trouble for: truancy, buying cigarettes, etc.) this means that if you have any interaction with the police they will simply return you home. On the other hand the people that you are found to be staying with could face legal consequences that vary depending on your state. You can find out more about how runaway’s reports are carried out by contacting your local police department. If you would like we could contact your local non-emergency number for you or with you. Just give us a call and one of our trained liners would be happy to assist you.
              You also make a good point about things being awkward with your friend’s family. It is a big responsibility to take care of a child, especially one that is not yours. It could be a good idea to talk to them about expectations and rules of their house. Getting a good understanding of how long they expect you to be there and the responsibilities you would have entering their family. Especially because they would be the ones getting into legal trouble for having you there.
              You mentioned that in route to Mississippi you plan on going to a couple of different shelters which sounds like a great plan but you might want to call ahead to make sure that they can service you. Most shelters are separated by age and then by gender. Since your planning on taking your sister with you it could be worth checking into to make sure that you two stay together. On top of that making sure that the shelter you are planning on going to is a youth shelter (a shelter that works with youth 17 and younger) keeping that in mind, unfortunately, most shelters are required by law to alert your parents that you are there unless you tell them about abuse or neglect in your home life. If you do report abuse or neglect then they might let you stay there for a few days before contacting guardians or Child Protective Services to file an abuse report. But, this is different for every shelter. If you would like to explore this option more, please give us a call. We can help you locate shelters and help call them with you.
              It sounds like you and your sister share a special bond and you want to make sure that you are doing what is best for both of you. We know that you have the support of your sister but it could be beneficial to have additional support from someone else. NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) 1-800-950-6864 is a great organization that can help you locate some local resources for counseling or peer support groups.
              Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
              If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
              Be safe,
              NRS

I’m 15 and i’ve been wanting to run away for a while now. My mom was on drugs really bad so that caused my dad to drink so i was the oldest and i had to take care of my little brother before i thought about myself and that was from ages 5-14. While that was going on i was raped and mollested at a party on my 14th birthday. Now i’m 15 and they tell me how big of a disappointing child i am and tell me that i deserved to be raped and mollested as a kid they also hit me and verbally abuse me everyday i’m in the house. I have this plan on where to go and how i’m going to survive but i’m scared about the cops if they find me and i beg them not to take me back will they still take me back or would they take me to a home? And if i run away and i end up in another state what happens ?

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,
              Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You must feel exhausted having gone through all of this. You demonstrate bravery and self-awareness in developing a plan for yourself and asking these important questions.
              First of all, it is important that you know that no one deserves to be abused as you have been. Your rape, molestation, and subsequent emotional abuse from your parents must be heavy traumas to carry. That you are able to talk about these demonstrates immense maturity. No one should have to endure the kind of physical and emotional abuse you are enduring currently in your home. If you do not feel safe in your home, you can always call Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline at 1(800)-422-4453. You can also call the police if you are in immediate danger at home.
              As far as your concerns about the legality of running away go, we can provide only general legal information. It is not illegal to run away, but if your parents report you as a runaway, the cops can take action to find you. Running to other states might make this harder on the cops, but they can still take action to find you. This all said, you should not ever be forced to return to a place where you do not feel safe and protected.
              Again, thank you for reaching out to us. If you ever feel like you need to talk through your feelings around these issues, we are always here to help and listen. You can call us at any time at 1-800-RUN-AWAY. Good luck to you.

Sincerely,

Hi I’m 17 on probation and wondering if I ran away from one state could I go to another state and work?

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks fr reaching out to us here at NRS. Our hope is to provide you with the resources and tools to best help you with making the right decision for you. Because you are on probation for you to run away would mean you face much steeper actions. If you are on probation it means the court has ruled you cannot go anywhere else. Meaning if you ran away you could not find work but also might face some court or jail time.
              We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
              Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
              If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
              Be safe,
              NRS

Hi I’m 17 and on probation could I runaway from one state to another and work without any trouble since it would only be a local missing report that was filed?

Comment

• ccsmod9
              ccsmod9 commented
              Editing a comment
              If you have contacted NRS today through another means (for example, live chat, email or bulletin) for the same issue, it would be helpful to let us know that you have already contacted us. NRS understands it takes courage to reach out for help; therefore, we would like to minimize the need for you to repeat your situation and avoid offering you duplicate services.
              Best of luck,
              NRS

same person 17& on probation when I’m 18 will the missing persons report still be valid?

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. It's smart of you to reach out with this question, we are not legal experts but we can answer your question generally.

Typically, youth who are listed as a runaway will no longer be considered a runaway after they turn 18, if 18 is your state's majority age (the legal age you become an adult). However, we cannot speak to what it could look like for running away while on probation. It is possible that there could be legal repercussions even when you are 18 if you run from your probation.

If you would like to talk more about your situation or help with brainstorming your options please do not hesitate to reach out via phone or chat: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. We are here for you.

Best,

NRS
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
          x
          x
          Working...
          X