Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could I run away if I'm on probation

I want to know if I could run away if I'm on probation and I'm 14 and I want to k ow if I would get arrested if I run away after I get of probation and wat would happened to me if I do run away while I'm on probation is it illegal to run away at age 14 in California

RE: could I run away if I'm on probation

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to our bulletin board to try and sort out what’s going on. Some of the questions you’ve asked are legal questions and we’re not legal advisors since every state has different laws/rights. We’ll do our best to help make things as clear as we can for you.

First, what’s going on that you want to run away? Have you ever done something like this before? And why happened that you’re on probation? Sounds like a lot of stuff has been happening and something’s getting to be too much. Running away is something fairly serious and can be dangerous for most people. Do you have a plan for when/if you leave?

Usually (in most states) the legal age of adulthood (people that can choose where they want to be/live) is 18. Young people under that age must stay/be where their legal guardian decides where they need to be. If that young person chooses otherwise (to run from home) a national and local runaway report will be placed on that person. Sometimes that report makes it difficult for youth to stay in school, get a job or live with other people legally.

As far as the consequences go, since you’re on probation things might get stickier and more complicated. There is a possibility that if you run while on probation and you get picked up on a runaway report, you may face harsher consequences from the state of CA. If you weren’t on probation, you would face consequences like any other youth: you’d be detained until social services figures out what needs to happen next.

Hopefully that answers most of your questions and it’ll clear up some of the confusion with running away. If you’d like to explore this a bit more and get more ideas on what’s available to you, you’re welcome to call us 24 hours/day at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) . We’re anonymous and confidential. We’re here to help.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I want to runaway cause my mom is always trying to send me back to jail for any reason and my mom don't let me go no where. I got on probation cause my mom doesnt let me have a boyfriend and I had one so she found out and got mad and she didn't let me go outside and if I did she wouldnt let me get in the house if I wasn't in the house by 6 pm so I would stay outside until like 1 am with my boyfriend then he would have to go home so I stayed alone outside until the morning an one night I was at the park with my boyfriend like around 8 pm and my dad went and dragged me from the park all the way to my house and then my older sitter was hitting me and then my neighbor walked (she is like 50) and she started to hit me and screaming at me and she put me on the ground and told my mom to call the cops and mom did but the fire department came and they try to do a drug test on me but I was so mad I refused to do so and ran out the house and my dad ran after me and he catched me and then took me home and the police was there and arrested me cause they said I was on ecstasy but I really wasn't and I went to jail that night but my neighbor did the report and put that I had threatened my brother by telling him I was gonna kill him and that I had hit my dad and mom but I really only hit my sister and my neighbor and I was in Los padrinos juvinile jail from April 27,2011-May 2,2011 and I was on house arrest from May2,2011-June2,2011 and know I have to be on probation for 1 year but my mom tells me that she is gonna send me back to jail for any little reason like if I go to the store and she don't let me or If I don't listen to her when she tell me to do something and we moved on july 1 because she didn't want me to see my boyfriend and my friends no more and she don't like my friends cause they are black and my boyfriend is too but they are not bad people but she really hates black people and thinks they are just gonna make me get in gangs and smoke weed but I've never been or done none of that and my sister is on probation to but she let's her do watever she wants and she has been on probation for 3 years and she is 15 and my mom let's her drink and do everything she wants and let's her stay at her boyfriends house but she never tells her nothing and to me she is always telling me that she is gonna send me to jail and my parents don't buy me things I need like shoes or clothes I need to always find the way how to get the money to buy my needs

Comment

Re: I run away if I'm on probation

Hello again,

Thanks for sharing more about your situation. It sounds like you have been through a lot and wish things were different at home. We are sorry to hear about everything that led up to you getting on probation and can’t imagine it has been easy. It sounds like you, your family, and fire department see the situation differently. You mention that your mom doesn’t like your friends or your boyfriend at all making life difficult at home. We are here to listen and if you need continued support, you are welcome to contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or by visiting our main page, www.1800runaway.org and clicking on the red “Live Chat” button. We hope you are able to keep safe and please let us know if there is anything else we can do.

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Could I runaway if I'm on probation?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          I want to runaway cause my mom is always trying to send me back to jail for any reason and my mom don't let me go no where. I got on probation cause my mom doesnt let me have a boyfriend and I had one so she found out and got mad and she didn't let me go outside and if I did she wouldnt let me get in the house if I wasn't in the house by 6 pm so I would stay outside until like 1 am with my boyfriend then he would have to go home so I stayed alone outside until the morning an one night I was at the park with my boyfriend like around 8 pm and my dad went and dragged me from the park all the way to my house and then my older sitter was hitting me and then my neighbor walked (she is like 50) and she started to hit me and screaming at me and she put me on the ground and told my mom to call the cops and mom did but the fire department came and they try to do a drug test on me but I was so mad I refused to do so and ran out the house and my dad ran after me and he catched me and then took me home and the police was there and arrested me cause they said I was on ecstasy but I really wasn't and I went to jail that night but my neighbor did the report and put that I had threatened my brother by telling him I was gonna kill him and that I had hit my dad and mom but I really only hit my sister and my neighbor and I was in Los padrinos juvinile jail from April 27,2011-May 2,2011 and I was on house arrest from May2,2011-June2,2011 and know I have to be on probation for 1 year but my mom tells me that she is gonna send me back to jail for any little reason like if I go to the store and she don't let me or If I don't listen to her when she tell me to do something and we moved on july 1 because she didn't want me to see my boyfriend and my friends no more and she don't like my friends cause they are black and my boyfriend is too but they are not bad people but she really hates black people and thinks they are just gonna make me get in gangs and smoke weed but I've never been or done none of that and my sister is on probation to but she let's her do watever she wants and she has been on probation for 3 years and she is 15 and my mom let's her drink and do everything she wants and let's her stay at her boyfriends house but she never tells her nothing and to me she is always telling me that she is gonna send me to jail and my parents don't buy me things I need like shoes or clothes I need to always find the way how to get the money to buy my needs
          Hi,
          Thanks for taking time out to contact the National Runaway Switchboard.
          It sounds like your life has been very chaotic over the past few months and you feel as though you have not been treated fairly. First let us say we are sorry to hear you have been under such duress and we are glad you used our bulletin board as a way to vent your frustrations. You mentioned that you are on probation as a result from what took place with your parent’s, your brother and your neighbor. Because you are on probation you wanted to know if you could runaway. Is that correct?
          Running away itself is not considered illegal in most states. However being on probation changes the playing field. You could be putting yourself in violation of a court order and have higher consequences to face. With all that you have been through and your points about your mom threatening to have you placed back in jail does raise an important question. How important is it for you to remain on the outside? Your probation is a year’s time from what you said in your post. Do you have options for counseling whether it’s family or individual counseling? What would help you to deal better with your situation other than running away? We understand how upsetting and frustrating this situation is for you.
          It’s important that you take care of your feelings. It’s also important having options to vent and have your side of the story heard. Do you have anyone that you can talk with about your feelings? We mean someone like another family member or close adult. One of the problems you mentioned about your mom was getting permission to leave the house. You said even going to the store without her letting you go was a big issue. Another thing you spoke of was not doing what she tells you to do. It sounds like not following your parent’s house rules appears to be the source of some of your frustrations. Does that make sense? Have you considered what you can do to ease that part of the conflict with your parents? Would you be willing to try better communication with your parents when it comes to your being able to leave the house? Are you willing to make sure any chores or requests are done so they don’t have that reason to deny you? You said you were on house arrest before and you are still on probation. What are the rules of your probation? Would disobeying house rules be a violation of you probation? Could it possibly put you back under house arrest if your probation officer got too many complaints? That does not sound like something that would help improve your present situation.
          You gave good insight about your sister’s history of behavior. We hear your point about there being a double standard in how you are being treated. What did you notice about the way your parents first dealt with your sister’s behavior? Do you believe the experience of them dealing with her has affected the way they are trying to cope with your situation?
          Is it possible they are just afraid for your well being?
          To your opinion about your parent’s treatment or prejudice’s towards your friends we can’t judge what their motives are.
          What we would like to ask you is if you see any reason for them to be concerned about the character of your friends? You mentioned concerns about gangs and drugs. Is this a valid concern for your parents or you? This may require you to step back and really examine what they might be seeing.
          Can you do that?
          We really appreciate you reaching out to NRS to express yourself. We invite you to contact our 1-800-Runaway 24hr hotline if you feel like you want to talk or find resources for counseling that might help with your situation. Once again we understand your feelings of frustration about your circumstances and we appreciate you reaching out to our NRS bulletin board.
          Take Care,
          NRS

Comment

Well I have to take anger management counseling for me and I'm really the only one that cleans the house and just when I'm tired I ignore my mom cause I'm really the only one that does anything so I feel she always puts me to do everything and that gets me mad sometimes and my probation rules are that I can't be outside from 4 pm to 6am and I can't be around any known gang members and have to listen to my parents but I do follow my rules but I just wish I could be able to go outside because I really need to unstress my self cause I have alot of things going on in my life and don't have any one that I could talk to or that could understand me and I really don't understand how they could let parents keep their kids if they can't support them and can't afford their needs cause my parents don't buy me nothing only my brother and siste and I'm the one that has perfect grades and like I said I clean the entire house while everyone is asleep or watching tv

Comment

Re: Could I run away if I'm on probation

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your situation. If sounds like you are frustrated in your home and want to take some time to get away and take a break. It’s understandable with everything that is going on that you are feeling like taking off and we are glad that you feel comfortable talking a bit about what’s going on. If you would like to discuss your situation more in depth or would like continued support please feel free to give us a call anytime. You can always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you would like to talk with someone immediately. We are a completely confidential hotline that is available 24 hours a day. We also have an online chat that is available from 4:30p – 10:00p. We are always available to listen, discuss options, and even find resources in your area if needed. Please feel free to reach out to us anytime. Take care.

[email protected]0runaway.org (Crisis Email)

Comment

i need help . quick .

im currrently on probation . ive been on probation since at least February . I used to go to Hampton and now im currently going to the Academy in the southside of pittsburgh . ive had to go to summer school there because i was truent from school for about 2 - 3 months . We started back at the Acedemy this monday and i didnt go . I didnt go today either . Now my probatipn officer is telling me that he is going to sanction me in shuman for 3 days starting this friday . i feel like the only choice is to go on the run : because i dont want to go to shuman . who does? it sucks ass . I told my probation officer before that i didnt wanna go back to hampton . I dont really want to go to the academy either because i have to stay from 8am to 6:30 pm. i wanted to do home schooling . but he dosent think im disceplined enough for it . I know i am though . I have anxiety and i dont like to be around alot of people . And he dosent understand this . ive been through alot of ******** with my father passing away last year and ive been fighting with my mom ever since . things are begenning to be worse . He is also telling me that if i dont go to the Academy that he is going to put me in a home when my court date comes up sometime in September . i dont know what im going to do but im asking for some advice . i need to know what will happen if i run away at the age of 14 while on probation . i dont know what else to do.

Comment

Re: Could I run away if I'm on probation

Thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your situation with us. It sounds like you are in a pretty tough spot right now and trying to figure out what to do next. You mentioned that you are in trouble with your probation officer because of issues with school. It certainly sounds frustrating that you feel they are not listening to you about homeschooling but now he is saying that there may be worse consequences because you have not been going to school. You mentioned that at this point you feel like running away is the only option but you are concerned about what may happen because you are 14 and on probation. It's definitely a tough situation but also important to consider all of your options.

At 14 you are a minor so your parent/guardian would have the right to make a runaway report. The thing that makes it a bit more difficult is because you are on probation the police would probably qualify it as a warrant. It's also certainly important to think about how you can be safe and where you would go and survive if you do end up leaving. Do you feel like if you were able to stick school out until your court date in September you may be able to talk with the court about being homeschooled?

In the end we can't make this decision for you but we are happy to talk through safe options and resources with you. You can always call us at our 24 hour hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a live chat available from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. Even if you just wanted to talk about the situation to clear your head and figure out what your best option is going to be there is always someone here to listen. Our services are confidential and anonymous. Take care and be safe. Feel free to contact us anytime.

Comment

probation runway

hi so today was not a good day i was smokeing at school with friends and the probation saw us and we all went our way and he stop 2 of us and i ran as fast i could when he turned around and i got away and left campus because i had weed on me whats going to happend to me the next day also i dont have probation but he my old probation

Comment

re: probation runaway

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are in a tough situation and need some help figuring out what your next steps could be. We’re glad that you felt comfortable enough to be able to come to us for help.

So, it seems like you have had some trouble with the law and don’t want to get into any other trouble. Have you thought about reaching out to someone to talk about the situation? It seems like you got away with this, but maybe you can potentially speak to your old probation officer to talk about the consequences if you were to get caught.

Have you thought about seeking help from a counselor or a school social worker? Sometimes talking to them can help you figure out some issues and help you brainstorm what could be best to do in your situation. We can also help you find some resources in your area and help you explore your options to help make this situation better. We are here 24/7 and would be more than happy to assist you.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

Runaway

I'm on probation for robbery and ever since I got put on probation every lil thing it turns to a big thing and my probation officer always wants me to join some court classes that I don't need she just stresses me out and she put me on house arrest for missing a day of school just 1 is so stressing and I have alotta problems at the moment and I just wanna be on the run from my probation I know it seems not smart but I just can't handle her. ....

Comment

Re: Runaway

Hello,

We are so glad that you wrote us. This does sound like a stressful time for you. You certainly have a lot on your plate. We are here to help you through this difficult time.

It is understandable that you want to run away from your probation officer, because that is a normal response to stress. However, it may be worth taking some time to understand the consequences of running away. We don’t know what your sentence is, or the specifics of your situation, but not participating in your probation will likely add more time or bring some negative effects. Having said that, if you do think that running away is best, then we are here to help you think about how to do so safely.

What you are going through must be difficult, there is no doubting that. When people go through difficult times, sometimes coping mechanisms are helpful, and can even bring people a sense of growth from the stressful situation. Coping mechanisms are different for everyone, it could be spending more time on sports, arts or music. If you like to listen to music, maybe you could try to learn an instrument.

If you want to talk further about any of the above information, either running away or coping skills that might be more suited to you, or if you want to talk about anything regarding your situation, please do call us anytime – we are here to listen. We want you to be a success, and we understand that you have a lot to be stressed about. (800)RUNAWAY / (800) 786-0394. We are here to talk with you 24 hours/day, 365 days/year.

Stay strong
                          NRS

Comment

I have probation at school and I wanna run away because no one cares about me

Comment

• ccsmod0
                              ccsmod0 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are feeling alone and want to run. It is understandable that you would want to leave a place where you feel like no one cares about you. We want you to know that you are not alone and we do care about you. If you would like to talk more about what you are going through or talk about running away you are always welcome to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929
                              Best wishes,
                              NRS

Hi I have a question about running away. I’m 13 and I live in Minnesota. I had a question about the consequences. I know you can get reported as a run away and if your living with someone without parents consent, they can get in trouble. If I run away to a shelter, what happens? Will I get sent to court? Will it be on my record? What are the consequences in Minnesota specifically? I don’t want to live with my parents anymore because of the emotional pain they’re causing me. I’m scared to talk to any other family and close friends because I’m scared they’re going to tell my parents and I really don’t want that to happen.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                              ccsmod10 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your post, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your friend’s life especially if they have left home and trying to get to a friend’s house. Hopefully we can provide you with some help for your situation.

Now we aren't legal experts here but like we tell a lot of our callers, the laws on that specific subject of running away vary from state to state. Generally what typically happens in each state is if you are below the legal age of majority (18 in most states except Alabama and Nebraska [19 or upon marriage], and Mississippi [21]), your parents or legal guardian would be able to make a runaway report in the event that you do run away. Since it’s only considered a statues offense and not a crime to run away, the only thing that would happen is that the police will pick you up and bring you back home. So this would be in the case of your friend getting picked and/or being reported as a runaway. Now if your friend’s parents did file a runaway report, they can choose to press charges on those for harboring a runaway (ie. friend's parents or other relatives). Harboring a runaway is when that party are not giving accurate information on a runaways whereabouts. That could lead to a number of different legal issues such as misdemeanor charges (fines or jail charges). From what we know it isn’t something that typically happens, but it is in place to detour individuals from helping runaway minors from not returning home or lying on a runaways behalf. So it seems like it more goes on to the people that our housing your friend rather than yourself who just gave them a ride to a safe location to get off the streets.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
                              Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our live chat platform:
                          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X