cant do this anymore

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cant do this anymore

I've been thinking of running away and how to for about two weeks now. Im seventeen, if I runaway now and then finally contact my parents when I turn eighteen would I get charges held against me? I ranway once before back when I lived in Indiana and was fifteen and turned myself in because it was just a spur of the moment thing and got charges held against me. Once I hit eighteen though there's nothing they can do because legally in that state and the state i'm leaving your an adult. As a matter of face i believe you're considered an adult at the age of seventeen where I'd be going to. Also would they like search me out and have cops looking all over for me? If they found me would they fly me back home even though I'm gonna be eighteen in a couple of months? Please help

Re: cant do this anymore

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us. What's going on at home that makes you keep running away?

As far as we know, the legal age of adulthood in the US is 18. There are a couple of states where the legal age of adulthood is 16 or 17 but that still does not apply to your situation.

If you live in a state where the legal age of adulthood is 18, your legal guardians can file you as a runaway and if you are found, the people you are staying with (regardless of the state and its laws) can get into legal trouble. Sometimes, even when you turn 18, some states will still hold that against you and specific consequences can follow you to whichever state you decide to move to.

Hope some of that information helps. If you want to explore more details, call in so we can figure stuff out a little easier. We're here 24hrs a day at 1800 RUNAWAY. Best of luck.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Okay, if your parents don't turn you in as a runaway for a long time after your gone do they still do the same thing? Or no because the parents have waited so long

Comment

Okay, so what if the rents don't turn me in as a runaway for a long time and then up and decide to? can the cops still come after me since they waited so long? and I'd prefer not to talk about what goes on. And would the cops like hunt and search for me or if they just see me and recognize me then take me back or what?

Comment

Well, It won't help their case if they decide to wait but they can still file a report so if you're picked up by the police (curfew, committing a crime, etc) they will search the system and your name will pop up. And we don't think anyone is going to search for you unless they are a private investigator.

Best of luck,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I wouldn't be commiting any crimes like that...I may be dumb for leaving but wouldn't do anything like that:'[[.....My mom and I got into it tonight and I said how mani times have I asked you for help and you ignore it and it went on and she said pack your bags and get the f**k out....and i said fine I will if thats what you want....if I leave now and she changes her mind and calls the cops and reports me as a runaway would I be introuble then? My sister was sitting right there when she said it and was on the phone with her girlfriend and they both said they would tell the police what she said.and my gf was on the phone as well and would tell them. So I couldn't get into trouble for leaving then would I?

Comment

Thanks for writing again. It sounds like you’re really worried about the consequences and legality of running away. We don’t know for sure all the laws and exactly what would happen in every situation, just generally how the law enforcement deals with certain situations. Each area is also going to have their own process and procedure. As far as your current question, it’s possible that your mom could still turn you in as a runaway in that case. Of course, it wouldn’t be fair for your mom to do something like this at all, but it could turn into your word against hers. Unfortunately, as your legal guardian she gets to say where you can and can’t live so even if she gives you permission to live somewhere else, she could change her mind and say you have to live back at home again if she wanted to. If she actually kicks you out of the house and tells you that you can’t come back, you have the right to call the police or Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) and report this. However, the both generally bring youth home and explain to the parents that they legally can’t kick out their minor. As far as for sure what would happen in your area, the local police are probably the best resource to find out how they deal with such cases.

Really, there are three legal ways to not have to live at home anymore. 1)Parent’s permission (and again she could change her mind) 2)Being removed from the home by DCFS due to unsafe environments 3)Emancipation through the local courts. This last option is not available in every state, and often it’s a long process with very specific requirements and possibly even court fees.

With all this said, as stated before, police generally don't just search for runaways and often once a runaway is found they just return them home. In some areas, there may be more consequences (24 or 48 hours in detention), but that's usually the extent of it. Also in some areas where the legal age of adulthood is 18, the police don't do a whole lot if the youth is 17. However, there's not a for sure way to know how they handle it in your area.

If you think it would help to have someone to talk to about all this, we’re available 24/7. We won’t have specific legal answers or advice for you, but we can definitely talk to you about what you’re thinking, your plan, possible options and the possible consequences of each option. We can also provide you with resources in your area if you wanted to look into certain options (i.e. emancipation). We’re a completely confidential hotline, so no need to worry that we’d trace your call or tell anyone what you tell us. Call anytime day or night.

Comment

I called last night and got a lot of my questions answered :] You all helped a lot...Thank you...One more question though. If I were to stay in a youth shelter how long would I have to stay there? because I would only need to stay for a couple of weeks...

Comment

I’m so glad that you decided to call in and that we were able to help you. In regards to your shelter question, the length of time you can stay really depends on the shelter. Some may only allow you to stay a couple days, while others may let you stay several weeks. Also, almost anytime a minor is staying at a shelter, the shelter has to get permission from the legal guardians/parent of that child. This may be something you knew already, and possibly not a concern for you but I just wanted to let you know. Do you already have some shelters that you are looking into? Probably the best way to get the correct information would be to give the shelter a call and just ask them there procedures. If you need help looking for shelters in your area you can always give us a call back if you need to and we can help look up some numbers for you and conference call with them as well. Good luck with everything and call us if you need to.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X