13 yr omd needing help in pa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 yr omd needing help in pa

Hi, im 13, 14 in 1.5 months. I live in pa but when i lived in ny my parents would abuse me. When we moved it stopped but now my brother starts yelling at me (hes 11) and i cant tske it anymore. Is running away in pa illegal? What are the consequences? The legal age to get a job is 14 in pa, right? Also where could I work so that id be able to pay for myself for a bit? Im trying to save up money so i can support myself and a few people will take me in, plus i found a shelter near me.

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time right now and we’re glad you reached out to contact us. We are a confidential and anonymous hotline that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You said that you were living in NY with your parents before moving to PA; how long ago did you move? You also mentioned that your parents were abusive toward you while living in NY but now your brother yells at you. We’re sorry to hear that you have been going through so much recently.

You asked if it was illegal to runaway in PA; generally speaking, it is not illegal to runaway but it is a status offense. What that means is that if the police were to find you, they would contact your parents and let them know you had been located. They would then make arrangements with your mom or dad to pick you up.

We aren’t legally trained here so we would not be able to provide you with specific answers regarding the legal age to work. What we can do is try to locate some resources that may be able to help you out. You said that you had located a shelter in PA; have you spoken with someone there to make sure they had a bed available?

In the state of Pennsylvania, there is a process to become emancipated from your parents; that mean that you would be responsible for yourself and have to prove to a judge that you are employed and able to live on your own. There are a few resources in PA that you can contact for further assistance and explanation. We have included a few here for you in case you decided to call.
    Youth Advocate: 814-849-1237
    Legal Services, Inc.: 717-243-9400
    Middle Pennsylvania Legal Services: 717-264-5354

We wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing from you.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I moved 5 years ago and i have not contacted them because i might plan a little bit before i run.

Comment

RE: 13 yr omd needing help in pa

Hi:

Thanks for getting back in touch with the National Runaway Switchboard. It seems like you have thought about things and has been able to locate resources. You stated that you have not contacted the shelters because you might plan a little before running. It may also be a good idea to contact the shelter(s) before hand to find out if they have any age restrictions, space available, and what are their policies in general.

If you have any additional questions, please free feel to contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Our hotline is confidential, anonymous, and available 24 hours 7 days.

Best of Luck
        ~NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X