Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving Out in PA

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok me and my step mother said that i can't legally leave my house intill i graduate high school/ but i will be 18 in the middle of the year / is it legal in the state pa to leave your home at 18 even if im in high school

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. In PA, the majority age or legal age you become an adult is 18. It does not matter if you have not completed high school, you can still leave home at 18 and your stepmom cannot legally force you back home.

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now at home so please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever need any support or if you have any more questions.. We want to be there for you during this difficult time.

Best of luck,

NRS

I'm 16 I'm in PA and my family treats me like I'm nothing, often times they'll forget to tell me about dinner and leave me barely any food when I ask them about it, my sister gets everything she wants, on my birthday which was yesterday they forgot about it, they also (very gross) like to have sex with company around, I'll have my boyfriend over they'll have sex, I'll have a friend over they'll have sex, and they like to sometimes pretty much tell me what they do, they've purposely made me see things that they have like they're trying to brag or something, its disgusting, they want to move 6 hours away from my boyfriend they've been trying to tear us apart and we've been together for over 2 years, they tell me I'm too young to date, when they move would I be able to live with my boyfriends mom and dad, they told me I'm welcome there and they don't like the situation I'm in.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      First of all, we want to thank you for reaching out. It sounds like your family has put you through a lot, and you are brave for trying to resolve this frustrating situation.
      The way your parents are treating you is not OK. The things you are describing could be considered a type of sexual abuse. The RAINN hotline is here for you if you want to talk about this. You can reach them at 1-800-656-4673. You also always have the option of filing an abuse report with the Child Protective Services. If you'd like to weigh the pros and cons of this choice, or talk about anything else, you can reach our hotline at 1-800-786-2929. We are totally confidential and here 24/7.
      It is unfortunate that your family does not leave you food and forgot your birthday. You deserve a family to that appreciates you and of course takes care of your basic needs. It is good that you have your boyfriend's family as a means of support. It makes sense that you would want to move in with them instead of moving six hours away. It would be easier for you to stay with them with your parent's permission, so if that is a possibility, you might want to discuss the choice with your parents (if you think it would be more effective, your boyfriend's parents could talk to them, and NRS offers a conference call service, so we could mediate this discussion as well). Without your parents’ permission, it would be trickier to move out. If you chose to run away, you would not be committing a crime, but your parents could file a runaway report to get you home. Additionally, your boyfriend's family could found be guilty of harboring a minor, if your parents knew you were with them and wanted to press charges. These are just some factors to consider. Again, you can always give us a call to discuss your situation at greater length.
      We really appreciate you getting in touch with us. We are so glad to see you trying to figure out your best options. If you would like further support, do not hesitate to call us or chat with us online. We're here to listen, here to help.

NRS

My Friend lives in PA and he lives in a terrible home! He has no water, no heat, he sleeps on a bed that on chairs, his floor is full of trash his electrical cords and wires are full of dust arena dirt and exploade, his dad doesn't care about him, the court won't let his mom take him, and he lives with his uncle who has no job and his grandma is in the hospital, he has all sorts of bugs and rodents running around in his house, he can't take a shower he can't go to school because of this, he wants to leave the state so bad and try living with me, but he's so worried about his Family and "friends" and he doesn't want to do anything that offends or breaks the law or be taken away... but he can't stand it.. he can't sleep due to the cold, he looks sick as heck, he probally has health issues too that we don't know about. He hurt himself by accident badly one day that he was bleeding so much his uncle didn't do anything besides say "you're fine" and he can't take anything anymore there, he doesn't even want to leave the house to see his friends or anything because he gets bullied for it, he doesn't wanna go to court or go to a foster home or anything he just wants to try to live with me and actually live a fun and good life.. and I saw his house.. his ceiling is collapsing... and it's just...nasty... I can't think of anyone living there...can you please tell me how I can help him handle this?... I tried but nothing seemed to work...

and...is it possible that I can get my dad to legally adopt him...if he's able to live with me?..

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear about about your friend's living conditions. He doesn't deserve to have to live under those circumstances. If he is under 18, he would need permission from his legal guardian before he could move. We encourage him to take pictures of the house as evidence of the neglect. He could contact Child Protective Services, or the police to report the neglect from his family. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource to get more options and information on how to transfer custody to your dad. If you have any other questions please contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

Hey, I’m 15 and I was wondering if it’s legal in Pennsylvania to move out of my moms house and in with another relative because my mom and I don’t get along.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. It cannot be easy to live with your mom when you are not getting along. Here at NRS, we want to help you explore your options and try to best inform you.

The easiest way you can move out of your mom's house at 15 in Pennsylvania is with her permission. Legally, you can live in any safe place that she gives you permission to stay at. If you leave home without permission, your mom can file you as a runaway with local police. If you are found you typically would be returned home. While running away is not illegal, the legal adult who knowingly houses you as a runaway could be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway.

Here at NRS, we do have a conference call service if you would like to have a mediated conversation with your mom. It can serve as a safe place to let her know how you are feeling without being interrupted. We also have a database of local family counseling resources if you feel like those resources could be helpful for you all. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY for those services.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat us, we can talk through your situation, help brainstorm your options, and provide support.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Best,

NRS

I'm 16, my parents are divorced, my father lives in Michigan and treats me like ********, my mom lives in pa, i live with her, she treats me less ********ty, but her and her husband and everyone in both house holds stress me to the point of want commit suicide, i decided to get a job, and intend to save up money for an apartment, can i go to court for this to get legally emancipated and use getting the job and saving up the money to move out on my own as evidence that i can support myself and become legally emancipated?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to be able to explain your situation to us and it certainly sounds like are going through a difficult time. No one deserves to feel like they are less than and you deserve to be in a place where you are not under so much stress. You mentioned that you are stressed out to the point of committing suicide. You can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. In regards to becoming emancipated, every state is different. In Pennsylvania, a petition for emancipation may be filed by a minor and your ability to support yourself may be evaluated. In Michigan, you can only be emancipated if you are 18, you are a minor who is married, or you are a minor actively serving in the armed forces of the U.S. If you do not meet those circumstances, you can file a petition with the court in the Juvenile Unit- Family Division of the Circuit Court in the county where you reside. Please do not hesitate to give us a call if you want to talk more about your situation. We wish you the best of luck.
      - NRS

Hi, I turn 16 soon and I want to move out and into my friends' house without my parents consent. I sometimes have verbal stuff with my parents with their insults and mean jokes, I want to move out but not with courts and stuff. Is there anything I can do to leave? I don't wanna runaway but I get sick of being here now, and tired of them being a bit mean and me at times being called a "little piece of s**t". All I want is to move into my friends house. Can you please help me?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there!

Thank you for reaching out to us, we know that is not always an easy thing to do, but it shows how mature and resourceful you are. It must be really hard to have your parent’s always being mean to you, and it makes sense that you would want to get a break from that treatment. We are not legal experts, but we can give you some general information about your situation.

In most states, until you turn 18, your legal guardians are responsible for your care. That means that if you were to leave home without their permission, they would most likely report you as a runaway. This would not go on your permanent record, and it would just be considered a status offense, like breaking curfew. However, your parents could press charges on anyone you stayed with for harboring a runaway if they were able to prove that the person knew you were a runaway. However, if your parents were to give you their permission, you could move into your friend’s house with no repercussions.

Again, it is amazing that you are using all of the resources available to you to make an informed decision. If you have any more questions or just want someone to talk to, feel free to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us through our website.

Best of Luck,
      NRS

I live in PA and i want to run away but i don't know where to go can u help with where i can go?? my mom is always blaming me for things that i haven't even done i do everything for her i cook for her i clean and do her laundry for her i do everything for her and she treats me badly like im her maid or something i just wanna move out i wanna run away but i don't know where to go can u please please help me to find a place to go?

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your story. You do not deserve to be treated this way, and we are sorry to hear about your situation. Although we are not a legal agency, we can answer your questions to the best of our knowledge. In regards to your shelter question, first we should establish if you legally have the right to run away if you are under 18. As you may have heard, your mother would still have the legal right to file a runaway report. This would be considered a status offence, and while the police would not arrest or charge you, they would likely return you to your mother if she filed a runaway report and she could potentially press charges for anyone who sheltered you for “harboring a runaway.”
      As for shelter resources, NRS has a database of resources that we could recommend to you, but we recommend that you get in contact with us for that, as we cannot provide referrals through the forum. You are always welcome to call NRS and speak more about your situation. We are also able to conference call and mediate a respectful conversation between yourself and your mother. If you would like to talk more in detail please call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. Thank you again for reaching out. We hope this was helpful and we encourage you to reach out by phone if you need additional resources or need help figuring out your options. Our lines are always open. If you have a moment, we'd appreciate your feedback of our crisis services at the following link:
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think
      Stay safe!

My sister has autism and is incredibly verbally abusive to me, we recently started sharing a room and she has been breaking hangers from hitting me, throwing flat irons and all kids of stuff at me as well as telling me I am useless and a ********** and saying my boyfriends is an entitled white man and this just adds to my existing anxiety and depression. My parents do nothing to punish or reprimand or take things away from my sister because she recently turned 18 and will react in a violent way if confronted about anything. I slept over at other peoples houses all week and now I am not allowed out because my mom wants to spend time as a family, but I don't want to be around because it always turns into a fight. Can I legally leave my home to stay with other people or is there a way for me to be able to come to a legal agreement when I am allowed to be out of my house so I am not around my sister, would it be possible to get a retraining order on her?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear about how your sister has been treating you. You could contact CPS if you don't feel safe at home. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Another option that you have is looking into emancipation laws for your state. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

I'm 16 and I live in PA

My mom( aunt ) has full custody over me and I've highly been thinking of running away. My aunt threatens to hit me, she gets in my face a lot, my sister yells and curses at me, I get called names throughout my family, and I've feeling emotionally/verbally abused. I used to get hit with belts to the point where I would scream. I would go to school with marks from the belt on my arms and legs. Recently, my aunt and I were talking about trust. She told me that I could be upfront and honest to her so I told her I didn't trust her. My boyfriend's mom told me she would adopt and take full responsibility of me. I try to have talks to my aunt about this but she always says there's nothing wrong with me. My question is: Can I move out and stay with my boyfriend and his mom? And: Would she get in trouble?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you have been through so much living with your aunt. You do not deserve to be harmed in anyway, you should be respected.

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it to Child Protective Services (CPS). We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services). If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/ or 1-800-422-4453. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their legal guardian in PA. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you leave home without permission, your aunt may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home.Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. So your boyfriend or his mom could be at risk of being charged with harboring a runaway by your aunt. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

NRS

Hi i'm 17 turning 18 in 3 months. I live in South Carolina, but i will be moving to Pennsylvania in a couple of weeks. I Dont want to leave my friends. My mom is making me go with her. I ask a friend if I could live with them and they said yes, but my mom wont let me go until a graduate high school which is in the year of 2020. I don't want to hurt my mom but I don't want to go to Pennsylvania.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. Hopefully we can be of assistance. It is a tough situation to leave your friends and a life you are used to. It is understandable for your mother to want you to finish school before living away from home and, as a minor, your mother is responsible for making certain decisions for you, including where you live. However, at 18, you will be considered an adult and can decide where you want to go and live without permission. This is beneficial information for you to know in order to better weigh your options and determine what is the best decision. If you would like to discuss your options more, feel free to give is a call at any time on our 24 hour hotline 1800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live by visiting 1800runaway.org.

i am 16, turning 17 in april, i live in pennsylvania and i am adopted by my two moms, and i ran away for 3 days due to some family issues, mind you cyf has been involved on and off within the 5years i have lived there, my parents parents sent me away to my aunt and uncles about 2 hours away from pittsburgh and enrolled me into school and stuff without telling me that i was going to be living here for awhile, they wouldnt let me home to get my belongings before i came here, but i guess eventually they want me to come home, but they cannot proceed to deal with me at this time, i want to be in pittsburgh and be with what im used to but they will not allow me, and by time i fight for emancipation i will pretty much be almost 18, so i dont think its worth the fight, child youth is not involved at this time and my aunt doesnt have any temporary custody papers or my birth certificate or social yet, due to my parents, so basically im in a bit of a situation, and i dont wanna stay somewhere i dont want to, nor do i wanna go to live with my adoptive parents, now if i ran away and went to a friends home where i would be wanted in pittsburgh or something and still go to school and be supported and have a job, would i be anle to? im not sure what my rights are and i dont want to make any actions that would get me in trouble, i am searching for some advice on what i could do, right now we are having some issues and my aunt is deciding whether or not to involve child youth, but i am nervous that i wont get a choice on where i wanna be and i will be stuck with my aunt and uncle.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
      Thank you, NRS

Hi, Im 16 just turned actually and my boyfriend is two years older then me he graduates in a few months and turns 18 in June i don't have a very lets say stable home life never really have lately its been putting me through a lot of anxiety attacks and depression i still want to attend school Im homeschoold and i work Im thinking about saving up and just leaving in the summer to runaway with my boyfriend when he comes down i live in PA and im not sure what legal stuff can be taken against me if i leave with him back to Las Vegas i think he is trying to look for an apartment so i can have somewhere to stay with him and still attend school

Comment

• ccsmod5
      ccsmod5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to NRS! It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of stress at home and you are considering leaving home. Leaving can be a very difficult decision to make, but it is understandable you would be considering it. We are not legal experts but from what we know leaving home without permission means your parents have a legal right to file a runaway report. Running away is not illegal, but if the police are able to locate you they will most likely return you home. If you are living with your boyfriend, he could be charged with harboring a run away. If you were interested in talking to your parents about how you have been feeling we can help you have that conversation. We offer a conference call service where we can be on the line with you and your parents to ensure that you feel your voice is being heard. You mentioned that you have been struggling with depression and anxiety. If you are interested in trying out counseling we encourage you to reach out to SAMHSA at 1-877-726-4727 or NAMI by texting “CONNECT” to 74174. Please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org if you want to talk more about your situation and explore other options.
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X