No announcement yet.

Runaway Questions!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know how this works but i am 17 and i recently ran away from my aunts home and she turned me in as a runaway and cps and the cops are looking for me how can i get them to stop looking for me ? Im doing fine.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. Here at NRS we aren’t legal experts but from what we know until you are 18 years old (in most states) you are considered a minor and would need permission to leave home. For a runaway report to close or to have people stop looking for requires a youth to returned safely home in most cases. One you turn 18 or legal adult in your state you are no longer considered a runaway and could call into the local police station where the runaway report was made and report you are safe confidentially. We do offer here at NRS a message service or conference calling confidentially that you could utilize to communicate with your aunt that you are safe. If that is something you are interested in, please give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or access our chat service through our website @ www.1800runaway.org.

-NRS

Hi can someone help me I bumped into a 15 year old girl and she claims to be staying in a hostel in the UK but from my day when I was put into care I was made aware if you are classed as a minor you will always be put in foster care regardless if you run away or not until you are at an age to legally defend for yourself.. is this true ?

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what's going on. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community-based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis-related laws is limited to the USA. You mentioned that you were located in the UK, this site may be more helpful to you as they are based there: https://www.runawayhelpline.org.uk/

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Best of luck,
      NRS

I am 16 years old and I want to run away because
    of my home circumstances and the stress I am dealing with. Metaphorically speaking, If Simone were to run away from Houston, Texas to Austin, Texas will the police be able to mind that person with no leads ?

Comment

Reply: I am 16 years old

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like things are stressful at home for you right now. Sometimes situations make s for frustrating times and it's hard to no which way to turn. You did good by reaching out today.
      It took courage for you to reachout and we want you to know we are here to support you during this difficult time.
      We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. However, in that case there may be services (family counseling, etc.) available to you as a youth in crisis/runaway but again, police procedures related to offering those services can be different based on your location or the details of your situation. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. One way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
      If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im 16 and i live in missouri with my step brother step dad and mom. My step dad and i are ALWAYS fighting an my mom always takes his side he has hit me an screamed at me an i got blamed blamed. My parents both abuse alcohol an drugs neither of them have legal custody of me i just live here and my legal guardian is in a nursing home i get yelled at everyday an am forced to watch my little brother and have no life im saving my money an im going to run away soon...i guess im just wanting to know whatcould happen to me legally if the cops do find me but i doubt my parents will call them...im gonna stay lowkey until im 17 an legally an adult\

Comment

• ccsmod2
          ccsmod2 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to reach out during a difficult time. Know that you are very strong and that you do not deserve the treatment you are getting. You deserve to feel safe and loved at home.

As for running away, it is not “illegal” in the sense that you could go to jail but in the sense that if found, the police would likely send you back home. One option that you have is to reach out to the police anonymously and with hypothetical and anonymous questions. They may be able to give you regionally-specific information and laws about running away/emancipation/alternative youth housing that we do not have. By reaching out to them with questions such as “what options does someone who is ___ years old have if _____ is going on at home,” you may be able to get helpful answers without giving away identifying information.

An additional option you have is to call Child Help (childhelp.org , 1-800-422-4453), a national resource for child abuse. Of course, we encourage you to reach out to us via phone at the National Runaway Safeline (1-800-RUNAWAY) as we are toll-free, confidential, and 24/7.

Stay Strong and Good Luck,

Ok so I’ve been struggling a lot recently with all this chaos in my life. So I was taken away from my parents at 8 since then I’ve been in n out of foster homes. I was never able to forget my parents n move on so nothing ever worked with adoptive families. When I was 15 I thought I had a best friend who I began to smoke with . The foster parents couldn’t accept this m basically Kicked me n my sister out . Then from there my life absolutely went to hell... we had no where to go ans was facin juvenile ... we ended up runnin away to our parents but got caught after 10 days ... then we got put in placement . But I met a foster mom who got me n both my sisters out of that struggle and we were doin pretty good I got myslef a job and had a lot of company and was never alone . Me n my sister are v friendly so we’re well liked n the fact that we’re twins is even better haha. But this foster home didn’t work out bcuz the lady was just horrible . I was locked up for 7 months then got transferred to another placement n which I decided I couldn’t do it anymore I had alr tried takin my life’s several times and it just was destroying My sanity... still am pretty damaged from it . But I have a few questions. Would it Be smart to go to a concert out of state or no? Also I’m goin to be 17 in a month. What can I do so I don’t have to return to a placement once I get caught. Do you think that I couldn’t try to make a deal with my worker like see if she can try to find a place for me to go or plz help me ? Also is there anything or tips that you can help me out with cuzim always lookin over my shoulder and I absolutely hate it. I just can’t go back there my twin needs me and I do I go back I know i womg leave alive

Comment

• ccsmod1
          ccsmod1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension, it sounds like you've gone through quite a lot and you're very strong and resilient for having done so. You mentioned that you tried to take your life several times in the past and said that you don't know if you'd leave your current living situation alive. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also reach out to the National Alliance on Mental Illness by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741.

It sounds like you are in a bit of a complicated situation which has left you wondering about your ability to leave where you are currently placed. It may be best to contact your caseworker or your local child protective services office for help and/or information on how to change your placement. We aren't legal experts here at NRS but generally speaking if you leave home without your current guardian's consent that can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. Normally if a runaway minor is located by the police they will be returned to their legal guardians - this can have differing results depending on the situation and if you are on probation. It may be a good idea to contact your local nonemergency police department (you can usually dial out to 311) to see what local policy is.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
          NRS

I need help, not sure how this works or how I see your reply.

Comment

Reply:I need help

Hello,
          Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

[email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

i’m 14 and i ran away because i’m gay and my mom would hit me and said she will never accept me

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              It sounds like you have been going through a difficult time, but we are glad you are reaching out to us because we are here to help. While we don’t know everything about your situation, reaching out to us is a good first step in figuring out your options.

In your message you mentioned that your mom would hit you. We want you to know that no one deserves to be hit, especially by their parents. If you wanted to talk to someone about any hitting that may have happened in the past, you can call our hotline (1-800-786-2929) or contact a resource called Child Help (1-800-422-4453). Either resource could talk to you about your experience and give you information on abuse reporting if you are interested or comfortable talking about it.

You also mentioned that you ran away. Since you are 14, we want to share a few pieces of information that may be helpful to you. In most states, running away from home isn’t illegal, but can be considered a status offense. That means that you cannot be put in prison, but if your mom were to file a runaway report, you could be held in police custody until you could be returned to your family if the police happen to find you (for whatever reason). If your mom knows where you are, she could send the police to get you and may have the option to press charges against anyone that takes you in (since “harboring a runaway” can be considered illegal). One way to avoid runaway reporting is to receive parental permission (sometimes best to have in writing or text) to leave the home. That way if the police do find you, you can present the proof of permission.

Your safety is our #1 concern. If you would like help looking for shelters in your areas or brainstorming safe locations for you to stay, our number is always available. We could look up resources in your area that might be able to help while you think through the options that work best for you.

We might be able to better support you if we knew a little bit more about your situation. If you feel up to it, please feel free to call our hotline (1-800-786-2929). We are able to listen and offer support 24/7.

Best of luck!

• can i "run away" at 17 if I'm a state child??????????????

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thanks for reaching out; we are glad that you did. It sounds like you are asking if you can runaway while you are a ward of the state. In every state, 17 is considered a minor, so if you ran from state custody, they would be obligated to file a runaway report with the police, which would put your name on a national database. If you came into contact with the police, they might return you.
              We would like to talk with you about your situation and to help you discover the options you have. You can contact us either by phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or via live chat through the website www.1800runaway.org
              We hope this helps and that we might hear from you soon.
              Sincerely, NRS

• how do you run away from a state house in leis Vegas for kids
            Last edited by ccsmod2; 10-30-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello There,
              Thank you so much for reaching out to us here at The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen.
              It seems like you may be thinking of running away which there may be more options out there for you. If you do decide to runaway as a minor your legal guardian could file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they most likely would bring you home.
              We may need to know more information about what is going on to best support you today. Please give us a call if you have any more questions or would like to explore more options. We wish you the best of luck in your situation!
              NRS

• I have a 16 year old child in flordia who has. Been .on the streets for 6 weeks that is saying abuse was happening at home with her father .I'm in Missouri and have lost my legal custody rights to her besides visitation supervised. And she is now wanting me to come to flordia and get her what is the legal way I should go.with her missing person and could I be charged harboring please help

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for contacting us. We are very sorry to hear about the abuse your daughter is experiencing at home as well as her runaway status. That must be very stressful for you both. We understand how much you care for her and would like to pick her up. While we aren't legal experts, we can share with you what we have heard about some of the issues you raise.

First, one option would be to file an abuse report. Either her or you can do that. The number to call in the state of Florida to report abuse is 1-800-962-2873. A report can also be filed via Child Help (www.childhelp.org) by calling 1-800-422-4453. You can also file through us if you give us a call (number below).

Your daughter's father does still have the right to file a runaway report. Since you have no custody rights you could be charged with harboring a runaway if you took her in as well as aiding and abetting a minor if you take her out of her home state.

So, what are your options? Well, besides filing an abuse report, here are a few:

1) You might want to get legal aid in determining if you could gain custody over your daughter. Since she's a resident of Florida, you might want to call Florida-based legal aid agencies. One that may be relevant to her situation is the Domestic Abuse Council (www.domesticabusecouncil.com), 1-800-500-1119. There are a number of other legal aid resources in our database located throughout the state, so depending on where she is at perhaps you can call us and we can share with you the agency closest to her location. We can also provide Missouri legal aid resources if you give us a call.

2) We can look up local shelters for her to stay at in the meantime. Again, where she is at in Florida would help us locate an appropriate agency to contact.

3) You can share our number and website with your daughter. We are confidential, non-judgmental, and can work with her to see what her best options are.

We'd like to help further but, again, would need a bit more information from you or her to see how we can assist. The best way for us to do that is to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via the portal at www.1800runaway.org. We hope this information helps and we hope your daughter can be safe. By the way, we are responding to both your forum posts in this response.

All the best,
              NRS

• so i had some questions. i will be 18 in a few mounts (i have been thinking to run away a bit sooner but i can't because i know my parents would call the cops and file a runaway case). but my question might be confusing i haven't seen anyone ask before so that's why i am asking. so my boyfriend lives in Alabama were the age you are an adult is 19 he will be 18 in a few weeks. his parents mentally and emotionally abuse him. if he were to run away out of state when he turns 18 could the cops do anything if he runs to a state were the age to be an adult is 18. he just bought a car as well would he be able to get his mom and dad off the car as well. hopefully someone understands what i am saying.

Comment

• ccsmod2
              ccsmod2 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are sorry to hear that you have been thinking about running away. It sounds like your boyfriend is in a difficult situation as well. We are sorry to hear that his parents mentally and emotionally abuse him. Nobody deserves that.

We are no legal experts, but you are correct that running away under the age of 19 for the state of Alabama could involve the police if the parents file a runaway report. Because your boyfriend is not considered an adult in his home state, crossing state lines would not make him an adult in another state (again, because he is not considered an adult in his home state). The state of residence is what law you have to consider, so the police could still get involved if he were to cross state lines.

Concerning his car, your boyfriend would need to prove that he is financially stable to get his parents off his car.

If you want to talk about more options, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929 anytime, we are here 24/7 to help.
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X