Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runaway Questions!

Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your son have been going through a really tough time. We are here to support you and help you in any way we can.

Your son does not deserve to be beat up. If your son is in immediate danger, you could call 911. If you haven’t already, you may consider reporting the abuse your son is experiencing. You could consider calling Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 to get more information about abuse reporting. You could also call us to get more information or get help filing a report if you’re interested in that.

That must be so scary for you that your son ran away from his grandparents’ house. If you’re not sure where your son is, you could consider contacting his friends or other family members to see if they have information about where he is. You could also consider checking out his social media sites to see if there is any information there about his location. You could also contact the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678 to put his name on a national list of missing children and learn about other resources available to you. You could also contact Team HOPE (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) at 1-866-305-4673 to get support for yourself and learn about other resources available to you.

There are many resources that could help your son get to a safe place from his grandparents, help you get the support you need, and help with anything else you or your son may need. If you want information about these resources, or if you’d like to talk more about what’s been going on, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Again, thank you for contacting us. You and your son have been going through a tough time, but you’ve shown strength by reaching out for help. If you ever need anything in the future you can call us or chat with us online. We’re always here to listen and here to help.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi I'm 16 living in georgia I have alot of family problems my dad runs around on my mom and is never really home my mom is always doped up on pills and really never can drive anywhere to provide. I get mentally abused. I know a couple of friends that I could stay with would they get charged with kidnapping? Or anything like that? They know the situation I am still in school and can continue on the locations provided. I just need to know if they would get charged with anything.

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds like you’re going through a very difficult situation and we’re glad you reached out to us for help. It sounds like what you’re going through is affecting your school work as well and you are currently looking for assistance.

We can’t tell you what to do, but we can give share information that might help you decide. You mentioned you were currently in college, would you happen to have a counsellor or professor you could talk to about these issues? We can also give you the hotline for SAMHSA which deals with mental health issues since you mentioned that you were suffering from depression and anxiety. You can also go to their website at samhsa.gov for resources near your area.

We know that it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and you have been incredibly strong given what has happened. We’d like you to know you can always contact us at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we are toll-free and available 24/7 if you need to talk or you can send us a chat at any time. We’re here to listen, here to help. Good luck!

Regards,
        NRS

Im 12 and me and 3 other girls are running away from home for 2-3 days to get some space is that illegal? we live in californnia

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello,
        We found this older posting that might be able to give you some answers. If you have any further questions please give us a call.
        Originally posted by ccsmod15 View Post
        Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like things are really difficult at home right now. Home should be a place where you feel safe and loved. We are here to help you explore your options.

You shared that you are planning on running away and have some questions about how the police might respond. While we are not legal experts, generally speaking if you were to run away or leave without your parent’s permission they could file a runaway report and if the police found you, they could make you go back home. Running away is considered a status offense, so similar to a minor getting caught smoking cigarettes.

So when considering your options of staying somewhere else for a period of time, for things to settle down at home, getting your parent’s permission would help you. We could also help you look up youth shelters or alternative living arrangements (ALAs) in your area. You deserve to be safe and if you feel that leaving home is the only way to do that, we can help you explore those options.

If you would like further help exploring any of these options or others in more detail, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
        Take care,

NRS

13, I can't go to foster care. Unappy where I live, having thoughts of runaway and suicide.

Im 13 and live with my alcoholic dad and my twin sister me and my sister were token away from my mom due to drugs. I hate living with my dad once I was placed with my dad we got in a fight because he was smoking in the house and at school in PE I would cough up mucus and blood and I couldn't breath so I told him to stop smoking in the house and he said it was his house and he's the boss so the next morning he dropped me off at school and I walked to my mom's house I lived there for a while and for the most part my drug mom was better than my drunk dad but then dss found out I was living their and then I had to live at my dad's I'm not happy here he doesn't abuse me but at night he walks around naked he's very mean and yells at me and grabs my arm tight he called me a ********** once and how I'm just like my mom. I talked to dss at my school and how I want to go to foster care but they act like I'm overreacting and I'm to scared to tell dss about my dad. I'm not happy here, my sister is to scared to stand up to my dad, my sister cuts her self and sleeps alot and looks very depressed and tired I've been having suicide thoughts and I'm not happy I want to go to foster care, but don't know how. Right now I'm thinking of running away but I don't know where I would go. I have a big sister who said she would take me but she would need child.support my dad and mom don't like her and said they wouldn't pay I talked to dss about living at my big sisters house and said that would be an option but they never call and never take any action. I don't want to harm myself, I can't go to foster care, and I want to run away. I am lost.

I need help, please.
      thanks

​​​​​

Comment

Reply: 13, I can't go to foster care

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline .

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
        It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this.
        You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
        You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.

It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
        We understand if you have any reservations about contacting child protective services however you did mention you had an older sister and perhaps she might be an option for both you and your sister.
        It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being along with your sister's are important.
        Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of.
        You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or www.twloha.com (To Write Love on Her Arms) to chat with someone about self- harming.

You did a great job reaching out to NRS.
        If you would like to talk more about your situation please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Tell us what you think about your experience!

Comment

Hi I need help

I'm 15 and live in Idaho. My parents are becoming unbearable and ive been heavily depressed and my suicidal thoughts are high. they have been invalidating my feelings and my mom said she didnt care about my happiness anymore. I cannont take it here anymore. I have a place I can go and stay, I was just wondering if i was caught if i would be forced back home or arrested? also could i continue my education? bc i don't wanna drop out i still want to get a degree. I cannot bear to live here anymore and need out. If you could help me pls do so. Thank you <3

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. It seems like you're pretty frustrated and upset with how your parents are ignoring your feelings right now. We can only imagine how hard that might be for you, so it is understandable that you would want to leave. In general, at 15 years old if you leave you would be considered a runaway. So it is likely that your parents can file a runaway report for you and possibly have the police bring you back home.

Best,
            NRS

If the cops bring me back home after being a runaway am i allowed to leave again the next day ?

Comment

Reply:If the cops bring me back home

Hello,
            Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

Leaving home would be a decision that you would make however your parent (s) or guardian (s) might decide to contact the police and file a runaway report which could result in the police bringing you home again.
            If you would like to speak more about your situation please contact NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org

Take care,
            NRS

Comment

I live in Reno Nevada and i was wondering if i still went to school how much trouble would I be in with the cops if I did run away?

Comment

• ccsmod1
                ccsmod1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are trying to weigh some of your options about running away, which can be a difficult decision to make.
                Although we are not legal experts, In Nevada the age you can legally leave home is 18. If you are younger than that, while it is not illegal to run away, a parent could file a runaway report and there would be the possibility that if police were to pick you up they could take you back home.

Please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling us at 1-800- RUNAWAY or chatting with us live on our website at www.1800.runaway.org. We can help you explore your options more specific to your situation.

Good luck!

NRS

hi im 12 years old and I feel like I don't want to be in the house anymore and I have friends I can contact that I stay at but feel like I'm too young I need advice on what to do runaway or stay home and deal with all the bad days, please help.

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We're sorry to hear that things have been hard at home for you. If you want someone to walk through your options with you and action plan, you can reach us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through chat at www.1800runaway.org. We have services like conference calling where a liner can mediate a conversation between you and your parents to help you voice your concerns and hopefully come to some resolutions. We are not legal experts but because you are a minor, if you were to runaway the police would most likely return you home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor.

Please reach out to us and let us know how we can best help,

NRS

Comment

i live with my parents, but i’m treated with disrespect and feel completely unloved. all my close family live in a different state so where do i go?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                    ccsmod2 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are very sorry to hear about the way in which your parents have been treating you. Family therapy may be a good option to consider. We cannot tell you where to do, you are the expert in your own life. You know what is best for you. If you are interested in leaving home, we could look up local shelters or transitional living programs.

If you are under 18 and decide to leave home, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away is not illegal but if you were to stay with a friend, they could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Please feel free to contact us directly for resource or if you just need to talk. Our crisis hotline is 24 hours (1-800-786-2929).

I am in my 20s living in Canada as an international student. Can I leave my passport and run away? I don't wanna go back to my own country. I can't take it anymore

Comment

• ccsmod6
                    ccsmod6 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like you are in a very stressful situation and we at NRS are here to help anyway we can. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts so we would not be able to speak specifically about what would happen if you left your passport and current situation. Generally speaking leaving your passport would not change your citizenship status in the country you are currently in and could complicate getting additional resources. We at NRS have a large database of resources and are available to look up legal resources in your area who would better be able to discuss your options. We are also available to provide you with additional resources specific to your situation such as housing and food resources. We are available 24/7 to talk at 1-800-786-2929 or available online at www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of luck,
                    NRS

Advice?

Hi, I'm a 17 year old in Las Vegas NV. I haven't been getting along with either of my parents recently who live separately and who are going through a divorce. I have had serious depression throughout my entire life and they make it very difficult to handle. They don't provide me with any medical help even though it has been perscribed. They take their anger out on me every day mentally and physically. One of my close friends families has been providing me with all of my books for school and most of the food that I eat during the week. They also have a guest room that they have offered me to stay in until I can be on my own. I am also planning on getting a job as soon as I am able to leave my parents. If I leave without my parents permission will they or the police be able to retrieve me from the place I would stay or from the school? Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod3
                    ccsmod3 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi,

Thanks so much for reaching out! It sounds like things are really tough at home right now. It took a lot of courage to get in touch and ask for support. It’s great that you have such a close friend with a supportive family. In situations like these it can help to talk to someone like a trustworthy teacher, school counselor, relative, etc about what’s going on.
                    Just to let you know teachers, counselors, and school staff are mandated reporters so if you disclose that there is physical or emotional abuse an investigation into your parents may be started. You don’t deserve to have your parents take out their frustrations on you, you deserve feel safe and cared for at home. If you would like to file an abuse report we can help you do that, you’d just need to give us a call at 800-786-2929 Also, your parents not allowing you to receive mental health care and/or medication is medical neglect and can also be included in an abuse report.

Your health and safety is our #1 concern. It seems like you have a lot to deal with and we want you to know you don’t have to deal with it on your own. We are of course always here for you. If you are interested in trying to find a therapist or counselor NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) 800-950-6264 or name.org and SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) 877-726-4727 or samhsa.gov can be really helpful.

If you do leave without your parents’ permission they can file a runaway report and if they know where you are they can send the police there to pick you up and bring you home, they could also pick you up from school. That said in some places the police don’t take runaway reports for 17 year olds or may not pursue them. If you give us a call we can call your local police department to check. Also, if your parents decided to press charges your friend’s parents could be charged with harboring a runaway. If the police are sent to pick you up and there is an abuse report on file the police are not supposed to return you home.

Thank you again for reaching out to us. We are here 24/7 if you ever want to further discuss your options. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need us. Good luck with everything.

Hi, I will be 17 in 19 days and I plan on leaving leaving Nevada and going to California. I want to know if the cops will look for me in a different state?

Comment

• ccsmod15
                    ccsmod15 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We hear that you want to run away, and we hope our response is helpful for you in what sounds like a very difficult time.

We are not legal experts, nor are we affiliated with the police. Additionally, runaway laws vary between states and even within the same state. As a result, we cannot guarantee the general information we provide will apply to your situation based on your location. However, generally, if you are reported as a runaway, the police will be notified. From the majority of experiences we hear about from police, runaway reports are supposed to be entered into a national database. Whether or not police in another state will actively search for you depends on a variety of factors. Police may be motivated to search for you in California if someone reports that you are in California, for instance. You can call the non-emergency police where you plan to relocate if you would like to ask specific questions about their enforcement of runaway laws. We can help you do that as well. Just call us at 1-800-786-2929 at any time.

Hopefully this helped, if not, contact us again. Best of luck,

NRS
                Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                x
                x
                Working...
                X