Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi..I'm 14 and thinking of running away

Hi..I'm 14 and I'm thinking of running away and I'm scared that I will get caught by the police and go to jail...I just I can't handle were i live..because my family doesn't care about me..I also have no place to go...and I'm scared that the police would take me to jail..I need some advice..like should I runway or not run away..Its just I don't know what to do..bc I really want to runway..but I'm scared...

Comment

re: Hi..I'm 14 and thinking of running away

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Dealing with your family when you feel they don’t care about seems really difficult to handle. There’s a lot to consider with running away so it makes sense that you have questions. We’re glad you are being strong and asking for some help. We can’t really give advice, but we can definitely help you think through any options.

We do want to let you know that while we want to help in any way we can, we are non-directive. So we won’t be able to tell you how to run away. In most states if you are a minor, there is a possibility that you could be sent back home if you do come in contact with the police. It’s a good idea to consider how you would be supporting yourself once you’re gone. Sometimes depending on where you are there may be shelters to stay at, but those are usually temporary and you can only stay for a limited amount of time. You mentioned that you didn’t want to get the police involved since they won’t help. You can always reach out to us, and we can help with any reporting if you wanted to go that route.

We hope we were able to offer some options and things for you to consider. If you need to, you can always contact us directly at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can talk about any possible options that you are thinking about. Lastly, please note that we offer a live chat via our website at www.1800runaway.org every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST.

Take care and stay safe,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Almost 18

Hi guys in almost 18 and my parents have hit
        me and also verbally abused me at times for things like getting mad at my high school games and everything. Im 17 at the moment and my boyfriend is soon to be 21 there is no sexual relation because we're waiting. If I go with him and my parents search for me but don't know where I am what happens when I turn 18 and tell them im OK but they don't know who im with?

Comment

Re: almost 18

Hey there,

Thank you for being able to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it sounds like you are going through a pretty tough time at this point in your life and we want you to know that we are here to listen and to help in the best way that we can. From what you shared, it sounds like home is not and ideal place for you and you feel like you are ready to leave.

We want to let you know that we are not legal experts here, meaning that we are only able to speak in general terms. In most states, at 17 you are still considered a minor, which means that if you were to leave without parental consent, your parents are able to file a runaway report. If a report is filed and you are found, typically you would be forced to return home. The part you may want to be weary of is that if you are found living with another adult, that adult could be charged with harboring a runaway. The charges for that vary from fines to jail time. The best way to find out the answers to your questions is by reaching out to your local police department and asking some general questions.

You also mentioned that your parents have been abusive towards you – no one deserves to be treated this way. Have you considered filing a child abuse report against your parents? If this is something that you are considering and want to learn more about what you can do, please feel free to give us a call and we would be more than willing to explore this option with you and even file a child abuse report with you. Another hotline that would be able to help you with understanding what a child abuse report is, is Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453. They are available 24/7 and have child abuse counselors available 24/7.

Our lines are available 24/7, this is the fastest method you would be able to get in touch with us. We are more than willing to listen to your situation and help in the best way that we can. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), we also have a live chat program, it seems like that would work best since you are unable to get to a phone. As we mentioned, we would be more than happy to talk about your situation and see what the best way that we can help you is. We wish you the best of luck and hope to get your call or chat soon.

Stay strong,

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Questions

Im 15 years old and wanting to run away. It is hard to explain my situation but just that to an outsider my life my seem fine but its not. Its hard to explain being me. Anyway i want to by a bus ticket to move towns. What will the bus station ask from me and will i be able to pay in cash? Where i plan on going is somewhere is virginia. What is the age at which i can get a job as a cashier or something in Virginia? Once i am there eventually i will have saved up enough money rent a small small apartment. What will they aske for when trying to get a room? I rhink those are all my questions. If itthink pf more i will come eere and ask more.

Comment

Re: Questions

Hi there,
              Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you are going through a challenging time which has brought you to a decision to run away from home. It seems you feel misunderstood by many and feel that moving away will bring resolution to the issues you may be facing. We are sorry you are feeling this way. Sometimes talking things out and exploring alternatives may be helpful to your situation. We are here to listen and to help in a supportive and non-judgmental way.
              You’re wondering a couple of different things that are quite important as they pertain to your safety and survival. It is great that you are trying to understand more about how you may provide for yourself before making a big decision to leave. We cannot really say how easy or difficult it would be for you to get a bus ticket and move to another place, obtain a job, or rent an apartment. Age 15 may not be old enough to do some of those things as places of employment and landlords require a certain age and proof of identity. We would be happy to explore more of this with you if you called in or chatted with us. It may help to research more about age at which legally can work or legally rent an apartment. The United States Department of Labor https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/youthlabor 1-866-487-2365 can better answer some of your questions about obtaining work.

We hope this helps and look forward to hearing from you soon to explore more of your situation with you. We are not here to tell you what you should or should not do. We are here to help identify a safe option that is best for you.

Be safe and take care,
              NRS

Comment

Runaway Questions!

i want to know what happens if you runaway in the state of ohio till the age of 18

Comment

Re: Runaway Questions!

Hey there -

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you may be going through a difficult time that makes you feel like you need to escape home. We’re glad you reached out to us to learn more about the potential consequences of running away.

For many city and states in the United States, if you are under 18 years old and leave home without parental permission your parents have the right to call the police and file a runaway report. Now the act of running away isn't a crime, so you won't be going to jail, you would have to be returned to your legal guardian if police were to find you or to a placed at a station until someone can pick you up. It is possible that whoever you stay with could also be charged with harboring a runaway which can result in other legal issues since as a misnomer. We are not legal experts though, so you may want to call your local police to ask what the consequences are for running away if you are under 18 years old. If your parents do happen to know where you are located, they can also send over the local police to get them to check up and bring you back home. For all states though, if you are 18 years old or older, you would be considered an adult and thus you would legally be allowed to leave home.

It sounds like you may be considering running away as an option. What would your overall plan be (i.e long term housing [who would you stay with and for how long], transportation, financial stability, access to food/clothes, going to school, etc.)? Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing it might be a good idea so that you can think about what is reasonably possible for you to do and want isn’t.

Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us (www.1800runaway.org). We’re here to listen, here to help.

Comment

Hello there i am planning on running away I live with my mother grandfather gramma and great gramma. To make a long story short im being emotionally abused constantly my granpap threatens my life and the school is aware of whats going on the household. Ive lived with them for 16 years and my mom got clean and sober a couple years ago. My my mother refuses to get an apartment where we can move out. She watches the abuse take place like the name calling from my grandmother and drunken threats from my grandfather. I have a safe place to stay with trusted people. i am going to leave. Im concerned because even though i deleted facebook smashed all devices so there isnt any tracking im afraid the cops will still pull up facebook messages even if my account is completely deleted. I DO NOT want to be found it is in my best intrest not to be found. They will most deff call the police and look for me. What is the likelyhood they will find me?

Comment

Hey there,
                      Thank you for reaching out to NRS. We are here to listen and help. From what you’ve shared with us there seems to be some issues at home involving emotional and verbal abuse. We thought you should know that you are an important and strong person who deserves to be treated with respect.
                      A main concern you shared with us was leaving home. Before you decide to make a decision we thought you should know that because you are a minor if you do runaway (leave home without consent) your grandparents/ guardian could file a runaway report. Seeing that this is a status offense, if the police should find you they would be obligated to take you back home, as you may already know. The extent in which the police will go to find you varies upon the officer, as well as situation. For example a case of 11 year old who ran away may be taken more urgent than a 17 year old. You did mention that you do have a plan if you should leave, however, we’d like you to consider the following in order to stay as safe and prepared as possible. Generally one who plans to become independent needs to consider factors of sustainability such as getting a job, health insurance, shelter, food supply, and basic needs. We are sorry to hear that you’ve been feeling down as a result from some things your grandfather might tell you. An option you do have is confronting them about your feelings. Sometimes talking with adults about your feelings can be difficult and intimidating, but having mediator with conversations like these can help. We could provide you with some sort of family counseling resource in your area in which can work with you, your mother and even your grandparents if desired. If you are interested in the previously mentioned or just want to talk further about the situation feel free to give us a call at 1800RUNAWAY. If you should feel at any point that you are in danger at home, the police is always an option.
                      We hope you recognize how brave you are for sharing this with us. If you feel the need to talk about the situation we are here to listen and help 24/7. Best of luck and stay positive!

Comment

My friend is thinking about running away and i cant let that happen they are only in 6th grade and are going to head out in 8th grade. they have everything planned what do i do?

Comment

Hello There,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’re sorry to hear that your friend's planning on running away. It sounds like it’s caused a lot of concern for you. We’re not legal experts, but we’ll do our best to provide you with information you may find useful.

It sounds like a conflicting position to be put in. It is great that you want to help your friend and it seems like you are trying everything that you can. Sometimes the best way to help people is having a conversation about what they feel is the best way to help them. The way you may want to help is possibly not the way that they are looking to be helped. He/she may feel that running away is the best option for her and by supporting her decisions, understanding her, and making sure she has a safety plan is a great way to help. Having her reach out to us in anyway possible could be of help to her as well.

Discussing the best way for her to stay safe is a great idea, but keep in mind that how she keeps herself safe and how you can help her stay safe really depends on what she might be comfortable with. Whether she’s a minor or not can affect where she may be comfortable going when she leaves home. For example, shelters are required to obtain consent before allowing a youth to stay with them, whereas someone considered a legal adult (usually 18 + years old) would not have this experience. If she is a minor, her legal guardians have the option of filing a runaway report, which means that, depending on how her local police department handles these reports, they may look for her and then return her home. You are correct that in order to provide more information, we would need more details. If you feel you’d like information specific to where she lives, feel free to reach out to us phone or chat so that we can look up resources in her area that might be able to support her and her family.

We hope this was helpful.
                          Best Wishes,
                          NRS

Comment

Im 18

Im 18 and im running away from fostercare if i move to a deffernt state well they bother looking for me. See i have a kid and a cople thoused worth of savings. I have a car and i can most likely get a home with my bf. My concern is well they look for me.

Comment

Re: Im 18

Hello and thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). It sounds like you're wanting to leave your current foster home but worry about someone looking for you. We, unfortunately, are not legal experts and unsure of what may happen. Generally, most states recognize that at 18 an individual becomes their own guardian, and often when a minor turns 18 in foster care they begin the process of transitioning out or "aging out". Perhaps you can ask your case worker or social worker about the age at which you may leave. Every state's foster care system is different, so it may help to know at which age you are your own guardian. You may already be able to move out, unless any paperwork indicates something different.

If you need any help with resources or just would like to talk and explore some options to stay safe, please reach out by phone or chat.

Good luck and be safe,

NRS

Comment

ok I need help my sons 15 and was placed with a adoptive grandparent that beat him up so he ran from there what do I do

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X