Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I am 17 years old and am a resident of Washington, USA. I currently live with my parents. This summer when we go on vacation to New York, I plan on leaving them and taking a bus without their permission to New Hampshire, where I will stay with my 19 year old boyfriend and his parents for two months. Again to sum up, I will be leaving my parents without their permission and staying with my boyfriends family for two months in NH. I am looking for my legal rights and what my parents are capable to do about this. What can my parents legally do about this? Will his parents get in trouble for letting me stay? Are there any other potential consequences we may face?

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear that that your dad is abusive and the police haven't helped. Abuse is never okay and you don't deserve to be treated that way. You could try contacting Child Help (1-800-422-4453) to discuss your options, and find out more information about how to transfer custody.

It sounds like are thinking about running away. If you decide to runaway, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away isn't illegal but if you decide to stay with a friend, they could get charged with harboring a runaway. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. You can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. If you have any other questions or just want to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

Guest replied
    Hey

im a 15 year old from Washington state, my dads an extreame narcissist and he’s been physically, mentally, and emotionally to my mom, two sisters and me ever since I can remember. We’ve had over 40 CPS calls and 10+ police calls to are house because of the abuse but nothing’s happened because either my dad lies or it can’t be proven the he did it. The police are useless! Both my sisters and I have ptsd and depression from the abuse and I want us out but I’m only 15 and the only this I can think of is running away but I don’t wanna leave my sisters, nor do I want to fall behind academically. Do you have any options that might be useful? If so I really need to know cause I can’t stay here, if I do I’m scared I might die

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    commented on Guest's reply
    Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear that you are being physically and mentally abused by your mother. Abuse is never okay and you don't deserve to be treated that way. If you feel as though you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to contact the police. You have the right to report the abuse. You could try talking to an adult that you trust such as a school teacher or counselor. Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource to explore your options and get information on how to transfer custody. You could try asking your mom if she would allow you to stay with another family member such as your father. You may also want to consider talking to your father about the possibility of him getting full custody of you.

Having a plan about where you would go and how you would take care of yourself is important. If you decide to runaway, your mother has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, even if you moved to another state if the police find you they would return you home unless you tell them you feel unsafe at home. Running away is not illegal but if you decide to stay with a friend, their family could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you have any other questions or just want to talk.

Guest replied
    I'm 13 and I live in Nebraska. My mother is so abusive, mentally and physically. She always has to take control over everyone's life. Ever since my father left her, she has always pointed everything at me, like it was my fault he left. I was planning on running away to like California or Florida, but I'm terribly scared, that i'm going to get caught or kidnapped. I just want to leave, I don't hate my mother but I need to get away from her I really do. She nearly beat me to death when she found out I "snuck out" when in reality I was trying to runaway, but I was to scared to tell her the truth. I feel like if I runaway they won't find me and I won't get in trouble. I'm not even old enough to drive yet, but I need help.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but if your parent gives you permission to live somewhere else then you are able to do so in any state. Your parent or guardian still has legal responsibility over you and so if something happens to you they could be charged with neglect, but other than that, generally speaking, there would be no reason that you would be returned home unless they filed a runaway report for you. Some things you could do would be to call up the local police in your area and the area you are going to live in in Michigan and inquire about all of this. They would give you the most reliable information. Let us know if you need help looking up those number. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Good luck and reach out to us if you ever need us.

NRS

We hope that this information is helpful to you! We’d love to hear what you think about your experience with the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). If you have a moment, please click the link below our signature line to fill out a quick survey. Best of luck!
    Last edited by ccsmod1; 02-21-2018, 04:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, I’m 16 years old and i live in Oregon. I want to leave to Michigan because my life here, my brother does drugs, constantly trying to fight me, major anger issues and is in constant trouble with the wrong people. My mom can barely get by and isn’t the best parent. If I move to Michigan, I will have a safe home and be in school. Where I am now, we don’t have enough food to last us through paydays. I know that in Oregon at the age of 16 you can leave home with parents consent. And the parent can only make the hold come home if they feel they are in danger, risk, get married or into a civil union. I just want to know if I can leave to Michigan and not have to worry about getting picked up and brought back.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    replied
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen to support. It sounds like you're facing a really hard decision because your whole life is in Oregon and you want to get out of a neglectful household. It takes a lot to reach out and we're glad you did.

You are correct when you say now that being 16 and leaving makes it harder to leave your household. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally. While running away is not illegal, there could be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. And if you were located by the police you would most likely returned home. This would be dependent on whether your mom would file a runaway report or not. Even if you cross state lines you can possibly still be returned. One way to get more information would be to contact the local police where you live and also where you would be running away to.

It sounds like you are thinking of filing and abuse or neglect case case against her. One resource you can reach out to is the National Child Abuse Hotline where you can get advice and information about abuse reporting that is tailored more to your specific case. They can be reached at 1-800-422-4453 or at childhelp.org. Filing a report could make a difference with whether the police would return you or not, but once again the way to know that would be to contact the police directly or contacting legal aid. If you call into us we may be able to identify legal aid for you in your area.

No one deserves to be mistreated or feel unsafe in their home. Do you have another family member or trusted adult that you think could advocate for you with your mom? If you give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we would be ale to walk through options and explore your choices of who you can contact and what to do next.

Don't hesitate to give us a call.

Good luck,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm 16 and I live in Nebraska. I'm from Oregon and I want to go back. My mom is very emotionally abusive and I cant deal with it any longer. I have no friends here seeing as Its my junior year in highschool and we moved here 3 months ago. My friend and her mom in Oregon, whom I have lived with before we left Oregon, was going to buy me a plane ticket to come back early january. My mom said yes and was going to give her guardianship. My parents are divorced. Now my mom is trying to get child support from him and changed her mind about me going back. That was my motivation to finish out the semester. My whole life is back in Oregon. Now that my mom said no, my plan to leave is still on but technically now its "illegal". If I get back to Oregon will my mom be able to do anything? I am planning, if needs be, to have a neglect case fought against her. Ive been in the system before because of my mothers poor choices and neglect so I could probably win, however I dont want to go through all that trouble again. Can I be sent back to Nebraska when I get to Oregon?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply:
    So my 16 year old sister....

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
    It seems there is a lot that your sister is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help her.
    It’s great that she has your support and concern, especially since this time is probably quite difficult for them.
    Being abused is not her fault, she does not deserve to have this happen.
    It sounds like she has or is planning to leave and go to another state and possibly stay with you. Be that as it may it seems there is some concern about breaking the law by taking her in. We understand.

A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

Generally speaking, a minor that encounters a police officer while reported as a runaway, may likely be detained until they can be returned home, and while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them without parental consent may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the runaway laws in your area is to call the non-emergency number of your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. If you are hesitant about contacting the police you may call NRS at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) ask to do a conference call to your local police department to inquire about the runaway laws in your state. You can listen in as we ask questions you would like tom try and have answered.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
    We are here as support to help both you and your sister during this challenging time.

Take Care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    So my 16 year old sister was in a different state and was in a very mentally and verbally abusive home. There was drugs being grown and sold out of the house and She told her father and stepmother she even wanted to commit suicide and they told her to shut her mouth, and totally ignored her. More importantly didn't get her any counseling or therapy that she had been asking for, for months. She couldn't take it anymore and ran away. Multiple people had called child services to try and help her but CPS did nothing about the situation. A few days later she was found and just brought right back to her dads. So with nobody willing to help her, she skipped state. The only other person who has rights is our mother. And that environment would be even worse than her dads. Our Mother has been addicted to drugs for years and her house is almost unlivable due to heavy dog feces and maggots in the dirty dishes that will sit there for weeks. She had just recently went to jail for assaulting my other sister and bottom line I just don't want her there. Being her older sister can I get in trouble for taking her in, if she ran away from a different state??

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    replied
    RE: a little help?

Hello,

Thanks for posting on the National Runaway Safeline forum.

We’re really sorry to hear about what’s going on at home. You seem to be describing something that could be abuse. Remember, if you’re ever worried about the safety of yourself or anyone else at home, you have the right to call the police. You mentioned you were too afraid to help, that can be a really tough situation. If you’d like to talk about ways you can help, please don’t hesitate to call our hotline here at 1-800-runaway(786-2929), or visit www.childhelp.org.

As far as leaving home is concerned, that can be a really big decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly. We understand that you’re feeling overwhelmed and running away might seem like the only option. That can be a lot to face alone. We aren’t legal experts here, but generally what happens when someone under 18 leaves home is the parents can file a Runaway Report with the police. That means the police will be on the lookout and will return you home if they find you. If you want to know for sure what the police in your area would do with someone your age, you could call your local law enforcement. If you’d like to talk more about this, or maybe talk about a strategy for dealing with these issues at home, please give us a call. We’re here 24/7 to help you in any way we can in the process.

Best of luck,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    a little help?

Hey, um. I'm a 15.. almost 16 year old girl in Ohio and my home life..is just stressful I've been dealing with my step dad since the age of 2 and I've had enough, I want to leave. I'm done, he has hit my half brother and sister with belts and left welts before and I was too afraid to get help, since I'm the oldest and not his child, I honestly have to leave...if I crossed state lines and just left....would I get away with it?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    replied
    Re: Crossing State Lines

Hello there,

We’re glad you decided to contact us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are not legal experts here, but we will do our best to provide general answers and offer appropriate resources for your sister and niece’s situation. We would also like to say how sorry we are to hear that your niece and sister have to endure any type of abuse and it’s great they’ve got you for support. We imagine it is quite difficult to see your sister in an abusive relationship, especially one that puts your niece at risk.

Our general understanding is that if law enforcement recognizes the crimes of harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, and/or crossing state lines with a minor, these are usually just misdemeanors unless some other type of law has been broken. The situation you shared appears to be even more complicated since you are in an entirely different state than your sister and niece. It would be up to law enforcement as far as any repercussions, but it might also depend on how much your sister persists if you choose to allow your niece to stay with you. Some other options might be involving Child Protective Services or a temporary youth shelter for your niece.

In the meantime, you might find some of these referrals helpful:

National Domestic Violence Hotline
    1-800-799-7233
    http://www.thehotline.org/

Alaska Child Abuse Reporting
    907-465-3191

Justice for Children: National advocacy organization for children and youth who have been failed by the child protective system.
    1-800-733-0059
    http://justiceforchildren.org/

Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas Dallas Office
    1-888-529-5277

Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas
    1-512-472-8303
    www.austinlrs.com

National Safe Place: Organization that has a variety of different participating youth shelters in different states. They even offer a texting option. This might be an option for your niece if she needs a safe place to go in AK or TX. (Although, it appears AK only has one Safe Place shelter.)
    www.nationalsafeplace.org

Alaska Child Abuse Reporting
    907-465-3191

We hope that helps a bit and encourage you to contact us directly either by calling us 24/7at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chatting with us from 4:30 to 11:30 pm CST. You are also more than welcome to pass on our ways of contact to your niece. Best of luck to all of you!

-NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Crossing State Lines Into Texas

I have a 16 year old niece who lives in Alaska with her mother and verbally and emotionally abusive boyfriend. Her mother (my sister) obtained a temporary restraining order against this man but a judge did not see fit to make the restraining order permanent because the abuse was not physical. Once the order was lifted, my sister was forced to allow him back into their government funded apartment because his name is on the housing voucher and apartment lease. The day after he was back in their home, I attempted to call my sister to check on her and my niece. I spoke to my sister briefly, but the conversation didn't end well due to the fact that I was unable to reach her by phone for the first 2 hours. My sister had stopped accepting my calls after that day; I assumed it was because I was angry with her for not answering her phone and she gave no apology for making me worry needlessly. After that day, my sister stopped accepting my phone calls. I went almost a week without hearing from either of them until my niece sent me an IM on a social networking site. It was then that I discovered that the abusive boyfriend had not decided to do the right thing and leave, as my sister had implied he did during our last conversation, but had moved all of his things back into the home.

My niece is now under a great deal of stress living in the same house with this man. Just to ensure that you understand that what my sister and niece were suffering was true verbal, emotional and psychological abuse, it had escalated into a physical confrontation between this man and my 16 year old niece one day when her mother left for a short trip to the grocery store. It was this incident that prompted my sister to obtain the restraining order. I am understanding of the fact that too many women in abusive relationships take back their abuser, but my niece didn't have any say in whether or not he should move back in and she is under tremendous stress and is unable to sleep or concentrate. This is her last year in high school and has expressed a desire to her mother to move to Texas with me so she can complete her final year without the added stress. (I originally extended the invitation to them both when it seemed as if my sister was making an honest effort to separate from this man, but under the circumstances it is apparent that my sister has rejected the invitation) I know that Alaska does not have laws against harboring runaways under the age of 18, but I live in the state of Texas and Texas clearly states that harboring a runaway is illegal. If my 16 year old niece were to come here without her mother's permission (her mother yells and blocks all conversation when my niece brings up the subject of her coming here) would I be facing kidnapping charges or charges of harboring a runaway because I am a Texas resident even though my niece is a citizen of Alaska?

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X