Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age can you run away in NYC and what kind of shelters can I go to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for contacting us here at NRS. It sounds like you have a plan to leave home, but you are concerned about possible consequences. While we are not legal experts, we can speak generally on this.

If you leave home without permission, your parents/legal guardians can report you as a runaway to the police. Running away is not illegal or something you would be arrested for, but it is a status offense. This means your parents can ask police to return you home if you are found. Leaving can be a big decision and there will always be some risk that comes with it. You are the expert on what might be best for your well-being. We do care about your safety so having a solid plan in place could help you to decide what is do-able or not for you. Some factors to consider would include where you will be staying, how you will financially support yourself, do you want to continue going to school, how you will get medical care if needed, and a back-up plan in the event something happens and you are not able to stay with the people you are reaching out to. We want to help you stay as safe as possible with whatever you decide to do.

We hope this information helps. We truly want to be a support for you as you navigate this challenging situation. If you would like to talk more or you have further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out again. We are available for immediate support by phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY(786-2929) or through our live chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Good luck and stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m currently 16 and I’ve been wanting to run away for about 3-4 years now... but multiple people tell me that I️ can get arrested... is it true that if i run away right now there’s a possibility that I️ can get arrested? I’ve been looking into the emancipation thing but i don’t want to live in New York... i was going to wait till i graduated high school to just leave but i can’t take it anymore... I’ve had my bags packed for months and I’m just ready to leave at this point. I know places i can go outside of New York and I️ know People that are willing to take me in if i leave New York... but my main question is if i decide to runaway and leave New York can my mom call the cops?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hello!

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! You do not deserve to be stabbed with a knife or beat up at home. That is never okay. You deserve to feel safe and loved at home. If you ever are in immediate danger you can always reach out to 911 and tell them what is going on. You can reach out to Child Help to talk about the way you are being treated at home and the options you have regarding it. Their number is 1800-422-4453 or you can use their live chat at childhelp.org. They can provide great support for you during this time and answer any questions you may have.

You mention wanting to run away. We are not legal experts, but it is not necessarily illegal to run away. You are your parent’s responsibility since you are a minor. This means that they need to give you permission to leave or stay somewhere else. If you were to leave without their permission, and the police were to find you, they would most likely just bring you back home. It sounds like you are thinking this plan through which is good. We would be able to talk more about your situation and any other questions or concerns you have if you call our hotline at 1800-786-2929 or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800runaway.org.
    Stay safe!

National Runaway Safeline

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 13 and I live in NYC. My Mom is always making me get good grades, even though I don't get the help I need, and I am always being beat up. I want to become a Soccer player, or a history professor if soccer doesn't work out. My mom is always beating me up, so I never listen to her at home. One time she even stabbed me with a knife(on the hand) because I cheated on a test. I want to runaway to Detroit. I have $200 to spend and I hope it will be enough. I want to run away as soon as spring comes along and I hope I don't get caught. I have a plan on what I should bring, but can my mom be put in jail for this? My dad is a really nice guy, but he is sick, and my mom always makes him leave home, giving her time to beat me up all the time.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The national Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. We are not legal experts but in NY the legal age to leave home without parental consent is 18. So if you were to leave home at 18 the police would normally not make you go back home.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    So let me get this straight if hypothetically i am 18 in NY and i “runaway” i won’t have to go back?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    I want to runaway to NYC

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I want to runaway to NYC in January sometime but I don’t want to hurt my sister and I don’t know where I
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-06-2019, 12:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello, thanks for reaching out. Sounds like things are super hard right now with little space and privacy at home, your family saying hurtful things to you and your brother hitting you. You do not deserve any of this, and in fact, some of it can be considered abuse, both by your brother and your parents, depending on severity and other factors. Child Help can provide more information as well as support regarding the way your family treats you. You can reach a crisis counselor there 24/7 at 1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org.
    We can also help you file an abuse report, if you feel like that is what is happening. That choice is always yours though, and you always have the right to call and speak with us without giving your name: 1-800-786-2929.

You mentioned being bullied at school as well as at home. That must be so hard and feel like you cannot get away. Perhaps finding some supportive adults and friends could help: a favorite teacher, school counselor or social worker, neighbor, grandparent aunt or uncle.
    Bullying can be super harmful and getting help shows a lot of strength! Reaching out here was a brave first step.

From what we know about runaway laws, generally, in both NYC and GA, if you leave home before 18, your parents could file you as a runaway with police. It is not illegal to runaway, you would not be arrested, but you are usually returned home if found. This is something to keep in mind, as well as how you would travel to NY, where you would stay (as most shelters are for youth over 13 and may require parental consent), and how you will keep yourself safe, in school, clothes, food, medicine.

We are 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) and through chat on this website. You have been very brave today. Thank you again for reaching out. We are here all day, every day.

Guest replied
    Hi im 13 and I live in Georgia I want to runaway badly. My whole family treats me bad and I get scolded by my dad for getting a b he makes me feel worthless. My always calls me ugly and so does my brother. I share a room with my dad and brother and my mom gets her pen room I never get any personal space and my brother always hits me. I wouldn't want to get caught. I'm just so tired of being over controlled and bullied by my own family plus I'm bullied at school. I just want to start a new life, and my first option would be new york city. Would I get arrested or in trouble? Where could I stay and sleep? Please help me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We are so sorry for your losses, sounds like you have been through so much and you so deserve some support.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If no one currently has custody of you, you might have some options with living elsewhere. If there is someone who you would prefer to live with, you might talk to them to see if it is a possibility. You also might have options with DCFS if you are interested in going into a group home or foster home.

We can best help and brainstorm your options with you by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Will I am 15 and both my mother and father is died and i want to run away because no one has custody of me and I really dont have no one that wants me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Also another thing to keep in mind if you wish to travel outside of the U.S. you cannot go anywhere without parental consent. You would be stopped and your parents would be called. Traveling internationally requires your parent’s consent always.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I want to run away sometime in the next few months, but I'm not sure if I am fully prepared to do so. I have only about $140, which even I know isn't enough for me to last long on. I have no job and have no experience with pretty much everything. This is because of the reason why I am running away. My parents give me no freedom and push me to get good grades. I fight with my parents often over my future career (I want to be a therapist and help people, but my dad and mom say that the job does not give a lot of pay, and my mom says she thinks that therapists are people with problems who help other people with problems to try and fix their own problems. She also says that I'll be around crazy people all day long. I don't know where she got all this bs from, but it's really giving off the wrong first impression of a therapist. They want me to be an accountant or some sort of doctor, but I am not interested in either.) and my grades. I am already trying the best I can in school, but they don't seem to understand it, saying that I am lazy and that I am not worth the money they spend on me. I have no freedom. They take away my phone everyday as soon as I get home from school, they don't let me go out with any friends, they don't approve of me HAVING friends (my mom always goes off at me, telling me that my friends are the reason why I'm the way I am and that I shouldn't interact with them because they are bad influences, when, in reality, they are nice and friendly with everyone, are loyal, and a lot of courage to stand up to others), they don't let me close the door to my room at night (I like to sleep in the dark of my room, and my parents always keeps a light on in the living room that shines down the hallway into my room, and they can't turn it off since they need it to see), and so many other things.
    To run away, I have some resources (food, water, clothing, money, etc.), but I need to find a place to stay. I want to take a flight out of the States, but, as stated above, I only have $140. If possible, I would have gone to England, Japan, or South Korea. Although I cannot speak Japanese or Korean, it gives me a lot more places to hide and stay. If I stay in the States, I will surely get caught by the police and dragged back to this prison called my home. However, I don't think your services reach as far as England, Japan, and South Korea, so I guess I might just have to stick with the States. And yes, I knew from the start that something like running to England, Japan, or South Korea was something impossible.
    I do have a time I have to run away by, or I'll have to wait for September. Right now, it is April. I am forced to go back to Taiwan every year with my family in the summer. I have gone for 13 already and do not want to go for a 14th. Plus, I know where I live better than Taiwan, and it's harder to run away in a place where your parents and extended family have lived for at least 30 years. I must leave before the last day of school in June, or I will have to wait until September to try and run.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help you with your friend.

You are being a very supportive friend, we appreciate you and how much you care. As a minor (under the age of majority), you aren't able to leave home without your parents’ permission. We aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens if a minor runs away, is that your friends parents would be able to make a runaway report on her. She can’t be arrested for running away. A good way to find out exactly what the police protocols are in her city, would be to reach out to her local non-emergency police. You or she can ask them hypothetical questions about running away. If you'd like, we can also look for legal aid resources. There are lawyers who help youth for free or for free, they would be able to brainstorm legal ways for your friend to possibly live with you. If you'd like us to connect you with those resources please give us a call.

Now if your friend’s parents did file a runaway report, they can choose to press charges on your parents for harboring a runaway. Harboring a runaway is when that party are not giving accurate information on a runaway’s whereabouts. That could lead to a number of different legal issues such as misdemeanor charges (fines or jail charges). From what we know it isn’t something that typically happens, but it is in place to detour individuals from helping runaway minors from not returning home or lying on a runaway’s behalf.

We hope this response was helpful! We certainly want to help you. If you or your friend could give us a call on our 24/7 hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help you find resources in your area and could potentially help you brainstorm a possible solution. We would love to talk.

Best, NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X