Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age can you run away in NYC and what kind of shelters can I go to?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m 14 and my home life is pretty terrible I want to runaway to nyc or la but I live far away, I want to pursue a career of being a creative writer or actor/musician

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe,
      NRS

I am currently 16 years old but turn 17 in less than a month. I live with my father, my mom only gets monthly visitations. My father has been verbally and mentally abusing me for as long as i can remember. Everytime CPS has came, ive had to lie about how things really are in fear of him. I plan on leaving tomorrow or the day after, my boyfriend is going to help me get out and hes going to drive me to my moms house. Im not worried about getting caught, but when the cops find me, will they be able to send me back to my fathers? Will I be able to stay at my mothers and will my boyfriend get in trouble for helping me leave? (hes 17). I know these arent legal officials, but i need advice.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear you are in such a hard situation at home, and while we cannot offer advice, we hope to provide you with the information and resources you need to come to the best decision on your own.
      It is important you know, first of all, that you do not deserve to be mentally and emotionally abused. You should get to live in a home in which you feel safe and comfortable, and we are very sorry to hear this has not been the case. We often suggest young people in your situation reach out to CPS; however, it sounds like for you, CPS has not been helpful, and this must be very frustrating and scary. We are here to let you know that you can always call 911 if you are in immediate danger. Also, if you are ever interested in trying to report the abuse again, you can always do so through us, or if you want to learn more about what abuse reporting can entail, we encourage you to reach out to Child Help USA at 1-800-442-4453.
      It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what might happen if you run away from Dad. It is true that the police can become involved if Dad were to report you as a runaway. However, whether or not you can be forced to return to him is a question of how the police actually respond to the situation, as well as what the custody arrangement is for Mom. As to whether or not your boyfriend could get in trouble for facilitating your exit, that would be a question for a legal professional (see below). It is true that sometimes people can be charged with misdemeanors when helping a young person run away, but since your boyfriend is also technically a minor, the response may be different. You might consider reaching out to legal professionals in your state. You can always reach out to us to be referred to a legal aid agency in your area. We are available 24/7 at 1-800-RUN-AWAY.
      We hope you find some of this information helpful. You have been through a lot, and are clearly making an effort to bring about a better life for yourself. We commend you. Stay safe and stay strong.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

hey im 13 years old i live in upstate ny i wanna run away to the city but i have no money so my bf is finna give me some also i have to be 16 to get on the bus so i can get to the city but im scared i have no phone nothing and plus my i feel liek this is a bad idea bc ive ran away lots of times and i still wanna go to school and stuff but i just dont want my mom wot control me or my stepdad on my ass nobody is probbaly gonna answer my questions but just pls pray for me and wish me on my trip todays date is friday dec 17 2021 almost 2022 my bd [...] i am African american probbaly to much info but i jus want to live with someone else and im gonna live with my bf because he cares about me and love me i think atleast if he dont then ima jus idk
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 12-17-2021, 04:33 PM. Reason: Redacted youth's name and DOB

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are thinking about running away, but you are worried about what might happen if you do. We’re glad you reached out and told us a bit about your situation. While we can’t offer advice, we can provide resources and information to help you navigate issues like these. We want to make sure that you know that you do not deserve to feel controlled in a way that makes you feel like you need to leave home. We hope that no matter what you decide to do, you will find support and be able to continue school like you said you would like to. You said that you are 13, which means that you are still a minor. This is important to consider when you are thinking about running away, since your parents could file and runaway report. This would make you a runaway minor, which means police could search for you and bring you back home. Your boyfriend could also get in legal trouble for helping to remove you from your mom and stepdad. It can be really intimidating to run away, and there are a lot of things to consider before you make the decision to leave. Without a phone, it would be very difficult to reach out for help if something were to go wrong, and it can be risky to rely on someone else such as your boyfriend to provide necessities like housing and food for you. Some other things to consider include how you would continue going to school or who you would be able to turn to for support if you got into a dangerous situation. While these are all obstacles to safely leaving home, we understand that sometimes staying at home is not an option. If you would like to talk more about your current situation and your plan, we are here for you by phone 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or by chat during the hours of 4:30pm-11:30pm Central Standard Time (CST) at www.1800runaway.org. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance.
      Take care and be safe,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X