Is it illegal to runaway in michigan?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I'm fifteen and am afraid of my parents and want to run away. I have nowhere to go and don't want to leave my siblings. I can't take them with me because I wont be able to support them. I also dont want my other family to worry. I am kind of in a pickle. Education is also important. But idk how much longer i can take this. I want cps to take us away but am afraid for my parents to find out.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline and having the bravery to talk about your situation. It sounds like you are going through a lot right now and we’re glad that you have reached out for additional assistance. You not deserve to be treated that way and while we aren’t legally trained here, we can discuss your options.

You mentioned that you want to leave but do not want anyone to worry, or for your parents to find out. It sounds like you are considering your options because you feel unsafe. We are sorry to hear that. No one should be made to feel this way. Home should be a place of love, support, comfort, and safety.

Generally speaking, once you are 18 years old, you are considered an adult and are able to make your own decisions. If you were to leave home now, your parents would be legally within their rights to file a runaway report and potentially friends and others who shelter you may be charged with “harboring a runaway.” It is usually considered a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, law enforcement would be able to take you back to your parents.

As for filing a report to CPS, you could explore this option further by calling Child Help, the National Child Abuse Hotline (800) 422 4453 or going to their website at childhelp.org. Mandated reporters such as teachers and firefighters, people who must report abuse by law, are also accessible to you. If you would like to talk more about what is going on, explore your options or what reporting abuse would look like, please call us anytime. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We also have a chat service that is available from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week.
      We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

I'm 15 and I ran away from home and I am currently at my friend's house because of my parents abusing me and I know my parents have told the police but nobody has came and got me. I gave them my friend's address so they know where I am. I would like to be placed into my aunt's custody but she doesn't know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us. We realize it can be difficult to ask for help when you are trying to figure out your options in a difficult situation. We are sorry about the abuse at home, but we are glad you are currently at a safe place. If you would like to report the abuse or fear for your immediate safety please call 911. You can also report the abuse to CPS. If you would like help making that report we can do it on a conference call with you. Another option for reporting the abuse is Child Help a national child abuse hotline, you can call them at 1800-422-4453.
      Though it isn’t illegal to runaway the law varies from state to state. While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. If your parents don’t give you permission to live with your aunt it will be difficult for your aunt to get custody. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. Again, we can help you ask these questions to the police on a conference call if you feel more comfortable.
      Again, thanks for reaching out to us. If you would like to discuss your situation more feel free to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Hi at home things are unstable, is it considered a crime if I leave a note saying I will return home and saying I am safe without icing up the address?

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. From your email to us here, we can see that you have very similar questions to a lot of our callers and you’re looking for some answers. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life, especially at home, if you’re thinking about leaving home. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

As a minor (under the age of majority), you aren't able to leave home without your parents’ permission. We aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens if a minor runs away, is that your parents would be able to make a runaway. You can’t be arrested for running away. A good way to find out exactly what the police protocols are in your city, would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police. You can ask them hypothetical questions about running away. If you'd like, we can also look for legal aid resources. There are lawyers who help youth for free or for free, they would be able to brainstorm legal ways for you to move out early. If you'd like us to connect you with those resources please give us a call.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available every night from 4:30-11:30PM CST that is available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

Best, NRS

I am 14 and I want to run away from home. I have been depressed for over a year now, I get bullied almost everyday physically and verbally and I cut my wrists and punch myself in the face as hard as I can. I sometimes stab myself with a pocket knife I have of my own. I am done with this I never feel safe at home and its to the point where its either this or overdosing myself will pils.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a lot, and that you feel like running away. It is not easy to reach out for help in tough situations like yours, so we commend you on your bravery.

First of all, we are here to support you with resources that might help you through your depression, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. It must be lonely and scary to go through this. Your feelings must be hard to hold. This can sometimes lead people to hurt themselves, or to consider killing themselves. When you are experiencing this, you might consider visiting an amazing blog called To Write Love on Her Arms at twloha.com. It is written by people who struggle with self-harm and suicidal tendencies, and features very real and honest stories about how people come out of the other side of these experiences. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 is another amazing resource you might consider. It is a hotline staffed by people seeking to listen and support you when you feel like ending your life. You might find it helpful to reach out to friends or a school counselor about your feelings. Talking about these things means you will not have to carry them alone. These might be good resources through which you can address your bullying too. You do not deserve to be bullied, and should not have to consistently be in an environment where this is a risk. A school counselor, or other school staff are meant to prevent these things.

As far as running away goes, we are always here to talk to you about your options. If things simply are not working where you are, or if you are at danger there, it makes sense you would want to run. It’s important to consider what you will do when leave, and what you might do if your legal guardians involve the police in the situation.

We hope some of this is helpful for you. You are always welcome to call us at 1-800-786-0394 or chat us online at 1800runaway.org. We are here to listen and help. Thank you for being brave and reaching out.

Sincerely,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi , i dont really know how this works or if i can still send a message but..
        I'm 16 years old (female) currently living in the middle east, i have lived in America before but for the past 4 Years I've been in Palestine . In a couple of months my parents will be moving to Michigan just for a couple of weeks to visit relatives , im planning to kill myself during that period and im determined because i might not have a lot if time...but ive decided that i want to run away first...i just wanted to ask what i can do..or where can i stay...its just something i want to do before i die..

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
          We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country. You mention wanting to kill yourself. We take that very seriously and your safety comes first. We believe your life has value. That link can help you find resources in regard to suicide and running away. You are not alone in this.
          Stay safe,
          NRS

Hello... In 11 years old and iv been going through a lot at home. My father always gets angry with me for things I didn't do and things I did on accident, he even yelled at me when I put the purple Halloween lights on the bush a little crooked. He told me I couldn't do anything right... And he also yelled at me when I asked him to help me put up a poster because I couldn't reach it, he called me the B word and slapped me. I have a new born baby brother now and I came out of my room without him noticing and he called my bro "daddy's little second chance". I never did anything wrong though, at least not that I could think of. I love my mom and dad very much but I feel like Im only a burden on them. I have ran away once before but when I came back they didn't get worried, they were only angry for causing them so much trouble and they threatened to send me to another state to live with my grandmother and grandfather because they had enough of me screwing up.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS

I want to run away but I am unsure if it is the right decision

I am a 13-year-old female and have an okay home life, my dad was an alcoholic and started drinking again and was taken away from my family again. I live with my Grandma which has legal custody over me but we do not have a great relationship, I have ADHD and she took me off my medication which causes me to get really mean and I bully her and after I calm down I notice what I do but she just ignores me and stays mad at me for like a week. I always think about, running away but I do not want her to call the cops and she gets in trouble. I thought I could go live with friends but then they could get in trouble with the police. I am very insured what to do because I do not want to hurt my Grandma in any way. My family doesn't really like me because I am/was failing school and am not alethic as my other siblings. If I do run away, I wouldn't know where to go. Please help me with this situation.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X