Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it illegal to runaway in michigan?

Is it illegal to run away in michigan? I wud go to my friends im washington. Then come home in a month...

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation and it can be hard to reach out for assistance. Hopefully, we will be able to assist you.

Running away is considered a status offense which means that it is illegal if you are under the age of 18 and still considered a minor. If you were to runaway, your parents or legal guardians would have the option to file a report with the local police. What this means is that, if the police were to find you, they could contact your parents to let them know and to make arrangements for you to return home.

You said that you are considering leaving and going to your friends in Washington? What is going on that makes you want to leave home? And if you were to go to Washington, do you think your friends parents would allow for you to stay? If you do leave home and need assistance finding a safe place to go or anything else, please call us. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you should have any other questions; our phone number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Again, thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We look forward to hearing from you.

~NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Well i am 13 and failing skool. My friends stopped caring. I cut myself. My girlfriend stopped me from commiting scuicide and she says that i cud sleep in there spare house or basement. Parents wudnt know. I wud go home, i just need a brake from life for a while

Comment

Is it illegal to runaway in Michigan

Hi there,
        Thank you for contacting us at the National Runaway Switchboard. It sounds like you are going through some rough times. Sometimes it is nice to get away from whatever is causing your frustrations. You say that people stopped caring, but it sounds like your girlfriend still cares greatly. It can be good to lean on those around you for support if you are able. If you are ever feeling suicidal again you can always call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK. They are there to help you and are also 24/7.
        It sounds like you have somewhat of a plan to take a break from home already. Have you thought about letting your parents know that you will be back so that they know you are ok? Or having any sort of communication with them to try and communicate about the problems that you are feeling? We have a message service here where you can leave a message for you parent(s) and they can respond back to you but you don't actually have to talk directly to them. We would talk to them instead.
        Have you decided what you will do about school? It seems from what you said you're struggling with grades. Is there a way you can get some tutoring or extra credit? Sometimes teachers are very helpful when it comes to trying to raise your grades if that's something you want. If you do decide to leave home for that month, would you try to go back to school? How would you work that out?
        We can talk with you about all of this and any other concerns you have. We are not here to tell you what to do, or to try and persuade you into doing something. We just want to help you figure things out. Again, a break can sometimes be a good idea. We just want to help you come up with a plan that is best for you. We are 24/7, anonymous, and confidential so we will not be sharing anything you say with anyone else and we are here whenever you feel comfortable calling. Also if you need to call from a payphone it is toll-free. We look forward to hearing from you and hope you are doing ok. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
        Take care,
        NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

i Want to Runaway!

My family found out i Had sex & I lost my mothers Trust & i'm 13 & i've been so depress & i've been thinkinq about this & the guy that i had sex with said if you dont want to be there come live with me Oh & i'm a Female :l

Comment

RE: i Want to Runaway!

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your story.

It sounds like you are struggling to regain trust from your mother after she found out you had sex. You state that you have been depressed. You also state that the guy you had sex with has suggested you come and live with him, and that you are female.

This sounds like really stressful, difficult situation. Maintaining trust with family members is very important to some people, and it sounds like you are worried that your mother doesn't trust you anymore.

Have you thought about what you can do to make this situation better for you? We respect your right to make your own decisions, and we don't tell people what to do. What do you feel is the best decision to make?

Sometimes, people will try talking to someone they trust about whatever is going on. Is that something you might want to try? If so, do you know anyone you can talk to?

You do have the option of calling us at the National Runaway Switchboard. We are here 24 hours a day, every day. We don't judge or tell people what to do - we just try and help people stay safe. This option may not be appealing to you, but if you wish to call, our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (800-786-2929).

We are very glad you decided to post this bulletin tonight, and we wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Comment

Im uncertain about my feelings

I am a 15 year old, I was adopted at a young age into my family by my great-aunt, my mother is on drugs and is currently in prison for drug abuse. About 2 years ago iv'e told my mother about my secret sexual orientation. If it isn't obvious I am a lesbian. I am also a Christian my family are truly God believers, since Iv'e told her I thought everything would be easier like being open and being myself around her. I can not. I am always being punished for being with this girl, she hates it so much she threatens to make changes with my life, never goes through with them, in fact me and my girlfriend have been together for quite some time about a year and a half, I really love this girl and care for her. my family all gang up on me like Im just some gay, dike, fag, nutcase for being attracted to females. ,me and my mother never got along, even before she knew I had a girlfriend, i always thought she favored my younger brother more since she raised him his whole life. She raised me too but I stayed with relatives long before he was born even after, Not permanent but for long periods of time while I was a young child. She lets people in my own family make fun of me and say things like i'll never be anything while i'm making this decision/life choice. It wasn't a choice honestly I just always felt as if my passion for girls was stronger than boys if at all. She likes to picks fights with me I cry myself to sleep. I am stressed and sad all of the time in this house. The emotional and verbal abuse wont end with these people they act like they love me, Hardly say it unless im in trouble just to make me feel terrible I wish I was never adopted sometimes, being a crack baby wouldv'e been so much easier.

Comment

Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Switchboard and telling us your story. We are sorry to hear that you are going through so much right now. It was very brave of you to reach out to us.

It sounds like you and your mom have had a difficult relationship but that it’s gotten harder for you since you told her you were a lesbian. It sounds like you told her because you thought it would be easier for you to be yourself around her but it has actually been the opposite. It was a very brave decision that you had to make and we wish it would have gone the way you wanted it to. You said that she threatens to make life changes but she never does; can you tell us more about the threats she makes? We are also sorry to hear that she allows for your family to gang up on you and call you names. You said that your relationship with her was never very good but what was your relationship like with the rest of your family before you told them?

There is the GLBT National Hotline available to you if you would like to talk with them about what is going on and how it makes you feel. Their phone number is 1-888-843-4564 and their website is also www.glbtnationalhelpcenter.org. You can also call us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929), 24 hours a day or live chat with someone from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST), 7 days a week. We are a completely confidential and anonymous hotline.

Again, thank you for reaching out and contacting us. We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck.

~NRS

Comment

i wanna runaway

i wanna runaway because my mother physically and verbally abuses me but the law is if there is no bruise its not abuse and im being hit but i still say its abuse even tho i have no bruise but the other thing i i dont wanna go to a foster home i wanna be on my own but im poor and have no money and also im failing school and my other friend jade and maybe kylie wanna come with me

Comment

I wanna Runaway

Hello,
                    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

No one deserves to be abused we so sorry to hear that you have been suffering through such an ordeal.
                    We hope you understand that it is not your fault that someone chooses to abuse and mistreat you.
                    Are you okay? It’s very brave of you to reach out to NRS, good for you.
                    There are laws against abuse and you have every right to want to feel safe in your environment at home or elsewhere. Your safety is important.

It sounds like you have some information about the laws concerning child abuse; NRS can assist you with exploring what your options could be in getting help to leave an abusive home. Does that make sense? It also sounds like you have been doing some thinking about being on your own but maybe with a couple of friends as well. Is that right? We can understand your feelings to be in a safe environment. We would like to answer any questions you might have about your situation including questions about your grades or school.
                    Child abuse is illegal and you can contact NRS to get help reporting any abuse against you.
                    Have there been any Child Abuse reports filed on your behalf?
                    Perhaps there is someone you feel you can trust to talk to about what has been going on.
                    Maybe there is someone like a relative, teacher or even a counselor at school you can turn to.
                    Please note that teachers and or any school administrators are considered mandated reporters of any allegations of child abuse. This means that once they have identified the victim and the abuser they must file a child abuse report with Child Protective Services.

NRS can assist you with filing a child abuse report.
                    You are welcome to call our 24hr crisis line at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) and we can assist you with Information to child protective services in your area.
                    You can also contact NRS for this information via Crisis email if you think it is safe for you to do so.
                    NRS has live chat available on our website www.1800Runaway.org
                    The live chat service is from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST)
                    Would like you can contact NRS for more information or to talk about your situation?

You can also contact Child Help USA: 1800-422-4453
                    They will connect you with your local Child protective services and you can file an abuse report.
                    We understand that you might be unsure as to how to deal with this situation as we said earlier sometimes it can be helpful to talk about what your plan is and try to explore some options.
                    How does that sound?

We thank you for contacting NRS, we are here to listen, here to help.
                    Take Care

Comment

Please help

I'm a 16 year old girl and I need to leave my house. Me and my mom do not get along at all, my dad always takes her side and my little sister hates me. I do very good in school and have never gotten in trouble but I can't stay here. My mom tells me all the time to just leave. I feel like us fighting is tearing the family apart. I love my family but I just can't stay here. I've told my parents many times how I feel and it's always been brushed aside. I struggle with self harm and an eating disorder. My mom knows about self harm but she thinks I stopped. I don't have very many close friends anymore so I have no one to talk to. But I do have a friend who lives a few hours away who's offered to let me live with him. Trust me, I've talked to my parents and they know I'm very unhappy here. But they don't do anything to help me or change the situation. I know a lot of teenagers go through this but I'm sick of putting them and myself through the stress and tension. I don't know what else to do. They would never alow me to move in with any other relatives either (I've inquired it a few times). I just need some guidence before I do something I may regret about leaving more permentally. Thank you.

Comment

RE: Please help

Hi there,

Thank you so much for contacting us. It sounds like you're dealing with a really difficult situation, and reaching out for help is a great first step.

You mention that you feel you can't stay with your family anymore. If you're thinking about running away, here are some questions you might want to ask yourself. How will I survive? Is running away safe? Who can I count on to help me? Have I given this enough thought? What are my other options? If I end up in trouble, who will I call? When I return home, what will happen? These questions might be helpful for you to think about and help you to come to a decision about running away.

If you come to the conclusion that you think running away might not be the best idea, there are some other things you could look into. You indicate that you struggle with self harm and an eating disorder. One resource that might be helpful to you in To Write Love on Her Arms (www.twloha.org). They are a website that serves people who struggle with self harm. You might be able to find some support in them. Have you thought about counseling? If that's something you're interested in, feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929). We also have a live chat that's accessible through our web site. It's open seven days a week from 4:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. central time. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you feel that we can help you further. Again, reaching out for help is a terrific first step, and we wish you the best of luck with your situation.

We look forward to your call or chat,

NRS

Comment

i am sixteen year old male currently living with my father who i have not been with since i was 5 years old, i was forced to come stay with him in michigan, my girlfriend back in arkansas is getting ready to have my child on the 18th of next month, maybe earlier, my6 father is a drunk, and he has a bad drug habit. my mother is in prison till april. for something that happened before i was even thought of. i could have went and stayed with my girlfriend and her mom, but my dad called them and told them that i didnt wanna come when it was time for me to go. april isnt that far away, but i know that if i dont get back soon that i'll do something really crazy. i dont know what else to do, it gets harder and harder every day. i've been depressed for some time now, and as time goes by im starting to feel like i only have one way to get rid of it all. what should i do?

Comment

Re: Is it illegal to runaway in michigan?

Hello and thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. I am sorry to hear you are going through such a tough time in your life. It sounds like you are doing all that you can to keep going and not give up, even though you may want to, it seems. Do you have a good support system around you such as friends or other family members? When you do start to feel overwhelmed with your life and what is going on it, do you have things or places to help keep you calm and able to get through the day? It must be hard not being with your girlfriend and your unborn child and living so far away.

It can feel like no matter what, nothing helps and it feels as though we cannot take it anymore and there is only one solution. Have you considered talking to a hotline or a trusted adult about your feelings, having someone help you through it so you don't have to do it all alone? We have a 24 hour crisis line, 1-800-RUNAWAY, or you can use our online chat services. Also, you can call us and we can help you find someone in your area that could be of assistance as well. We are always here if you ever need someone to talk to. I hope this helps and thank you for contacting the NRS.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Would It Really Be Illegal?

I want to take a trip somewhere for a week or two with my friends. I just want to see what it would be like really. I am a goody two shoes and have never done something serious. Me and my friends have all had experience with a lot of strain. I have done five mile runs and walked half way down to the grand cannon and back. We have set up a plan for the whole trip, counted our needed calories and set up a way to efficiently carry all o our needed supplies. When I was little I was an expert at hide and seek, no one can ever find me. I know what I'm doing. When we leave we plan to also leave letters to our parents and tell them that we are safe. We are all equipped with some kind of defense (not guns, or bow and arrows). Some of us have taken self-defense classes and all of know some basic protection moves. If we return home within 12 days of our departure without being found out would it still be illegal? I want to do this to prove to myself and others that I can hold my own. And to have a great time with friends! My parents would never let me take 10 friends out to the middle of no where, but I could. Would it still be illegal if no one found us while we were traveling?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X