my friend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my friend

my friend is 13 and she is being amused and almost raped at her house, im 15 my parents agree that she could move in with us/be adopted but what would we have to do to get her out of her house without being in violation of hte law and with the lest amount of her parents knowing.. sorry but i dont know how to word it right but thank you for reading

my friend

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Switchboard. We are sorry to hear that your friend is being abused and almost raped at her house. No one deserves to feel unsafe in their own home and we can only imagine what your friend is going through. It sounds like you would like to see your friend safe and are trying to go about things the legal way. We are not legal experts; however, we can try and provide you with some general information.

To our knowledge running away is just a status offense (meaning you cannot do so simply because you have reached the age of majority which is most commonly 18.) Consequently, harboring a runaway and assisting in the delinquency of a minor are normally both considered to be misdemeanor crimes. Since you mention you and your parents would like to stay out of violation of the law, it doesn’t sound like those are crimes you are willing to risk. It sounds like what you are really looking for are ways for your friend to legally stay safe outside of her home. Although not always realistic, one option would be if her parents were to give her permission to stay somewhere else (like a family member or as you are suggesting, a friend.)

Another option that isn’t always realistic is emancipation. As far as we know states that offer this usually require the minor to be at least 15 which would make your friend too young. It sounds like your hope is for your friend to come stay with you, but if her parents didn’t agree to that do you think she would be willing to stay in a shelter? Shelters can provide a safe place and provide services like family counseling and mediation. They are generally going to ask for parental consent and/or notification either immediately or within 72 hours so that they do not get in trouble with the law. Sometimes they will get the State involved instead if it is a case of abuse. Availability of shelters can vary from state to state, so if you’d like some resources you are welcome to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY with your friend’s location.

Another option that is also available to youth experiencing abuse is filing a report with Child Protective Services (CPS) and/or the local police. Although they do not always remove youth from the home, this can sometimes be a starting point for preventing future unsafe situations. We recognize that this can sometimes be scary; however, if this is something you think your friend would be interested in, she is welcome to call here and we can help her through that process. If you are still unsure about what to do, you are also welcome to call us at our hotline. We are anonymous, confidential, and available 24/7. One other resource that might be helpful is Child Help USA, 1-800-4-A-CHILD. (They are a hotline where you can discuss abusive situations, but they don’t actually make the report.)

Best of luck to you and your friend!

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

i was just talking ot her and she said thats shes 14.. sorry for that and she also said she would rather be stuck in her house then be stuck in a shelter she is already a foster home from when her paretns died when she was 2 and her parents wouldnet agree to let her go anywhere or anything ot get her out of thier custity.. i still dont know what to do and thank you for some info

Comment

Re: my friend

We’re glad we could provide you with some information to pass along to your friend. It sounds like she is in a very difficult situation and it doesn’t sound like she thinks being in a shelter or contacting CPS would help. However, if she would like to discuss her situation she is welcome to contact us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Good luck!

-NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X