Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do to help my friend?

I really do not know what to do here. My friend is in her twenties and is trapped at home. Her mother threatens her daily, criticizes her, and makes her feel as if she has no place else to go and mentally/verbally abuses her. I have watched a dear friend go from confident and beautiful to being completely dependent on her mother. Its as if her mother has some sick control over her. It is a completely unhealthy relationship in the way that my friend knows she cannot stay there but has nowhere else to go. She is in college and does all she can to keep home life as "happy" as possible. I just do not know what I can do or what her options might be considering she is an adult. I just cannot stand by and watch my friend deteriorate, I love her too much. Please let me know of some resources for adult women in the Charlotte NC area. Even if all they can do is help her get set up on her own and gain dependence. Any help is better than nothing.

Thanks - A concerned friend

Re: What can I do to help my friend?

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us in support of your friend. We appreciate your willingness to talk things over with us in hopes of us locating local resources that can be helpful in this time of need. She certainly does not deserve to be treated this way.

It seems your friend is also at age where she has the choice to leave home without permission but we can never be certain what other restraint her mother is placing on her now.

If she is seeking adult shelters, one option may be for her or you to contact local rescue missions or even the local Salvation Army. Do you know of any relatives or friends she might be able to stay with? We hope you can call us for direct numbers to these resources so that we can further assist you and your friend.

It sounds like she has you as a support and we imagine it must be a lot to take on but you seem to care a great deal for her too. We are here for you and her as a support and for resources also. We are confidential and anonymous. We can be reached 24 hours a day at 1800RUNAWAY.

-NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X